PDA

View Full Version : Another car topic.

Madzozs
Sep 15, 2005, 05:01 PM
Well after looking through the Shurimobile thread, and remembering that I doubled my salary in the past 2 months, I'm ready for a new car. Right now, I'm rolling in a '95 Buick LeSabre. It's a nice car(I love the size of it), with a great GM engine(the 3800 V6). Unfortunately, the engine is the problem. There are minor things going wrong now, and I barely make 18 mpg.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I have not taken any cars for test drives yet, so my current ranking is pricing after options(on-line of course).

Scion tC $19,435
Good mileage, good look, a surprising amount of room inside it. I'm a big guy and was able to get comfy with no problems.

Honda Civic Coupe $19,883
Once again, great mileage, the 2006 redesign is really nice, but the 2005's are going to be on sale. Another car with a surprising amount of passenger room.

Chevy Cobalt SS $20,365
Always been a Chevy fan, my first car was a Corsica and it lasted me 7 years until I replaced it with the Buick. Mileage is good once again, haven't been in one yet. I may be hopping around tomorrow before work. I also like the design.

Honda Civic Hybrid $22,126
Insane mileage, standard Honda look. 4 doors so it's got the room. Not a whole lot of bargaining power on these since the demand is up fairly high. That could be the drawback. That and the Civic Coupe gets really high mileage as well.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 16, 2005, 01:38 AM
The only thing that sticks out to me as any sort of problem between those choices is my lack of knowledge on hybrid maintenence.

Such as parts, prices for parts, how easily they are replaced, if things break down how would it affect the car, how long the life cycle of the hybrid parts are, if mechanic shops not based in the dealership can fix them, etc.

So definitely the gas mileage being very high with hyrbids is a big plus, and will save you a lot of money in the longrun, but I would be advised to look into warranty and parts info on hybrids.

Otherwise, myself personally I would go with the Scion tC or Cobalt SS just for looks and or room. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-09-15 23:39 ]</font>

Solstis
Sep 16, 2005, 06:44 AM
As a Honda fan, I will mention that you'll be paying more money than you should.

It will probably still be worth it.

I haven't researched lately, but isn't the Accord around the same price as the hybrid? Not exactly sure of the gas mileage, though.

Madzozs
Sep 16, 2005, 08:29 AM
The accord is higher than the civic hybrid. The funny part is, the Accord Hybrid gets nearly the same mileage as the '06 Civic coupe(not the hybrid). Well, I got my pre-approval for the loan today and I took the Cobalt off the list. Not a comfy car for me. I'm gonna go test drive the tC in a little while and get an estimate. Then go back monday and haggle.

Daikarin
Sep 16, 2005, 12:04 PM
The first car I'll be able to afford will probably a Celica, from Toyota. Of course, I'll have to check what kind of gearbox it has, since I'm used to a certain standard.

Madzozs
Sep 16, 2005, 12:56 PM
Celica isn't in production anymore if I'm not mistaken. The tC is taking over that market for them, while they still produce the Solara under Toyota's name.

Madzozs
Sep 20, 2005, 04:51 PM
Alright well, I put my deposit down on Saturday and he found me one today. It's currently en route to the dealership and I'm gonna go take care of the purchase agreement tonight. Tomorrow I can get the loan/insurance handled and hopefully get my car Friday.

Daikarin
Sep 21, 2005, 04:42 PM
On 2005-09-16 10:56, Madzozs wrote:
Celica isn't in production anymore if I'm not mistaken. The tC is taking over that market for them, while they still produce the Solara under Toyota's name.

What!? Damn. I assumed, after seeing the new models... Gah, Darn it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Madzozs
Sep 21, 2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah they made the new body styles for a really short time. You figure they would keep them going since they sold well. Oh well. I guess Nissan has a new car in the works to compete with Celica/tC sales.