PDA

View Full Version : Work rant

TheOneHero
Sep 17, 2005, 02:16 PM
The General Manager has two daughters that work with her.

Both of the daughters are bitches. They yell at the crew if you're not going fast enough or give them the wrong thing. (Like today one asked for a medium fry, I got it, then she says it was supposed to be a biggie and I should listen more)

On my Ap, I said I could only work 28 hours a week. (I have school right? So I can only do part time.)

Next week, I work 35 hours. Not only that, when I asked if I could get the 24th off (Girlfriend's homecoming) Or at least come in early and be off by 3. They slap me down from 3-10. This pisses me off, since Alyssa and I have been planning homecoming for months.

Not only that, but on Saturday I said (in my Ap) I can only work till 8p.m. because of activities on Sunday that are more important to me than working at a fast food joint.

So right now I'm trying to get off earlier on saturday so I can take my girlfriend to homecoming. And I'm gonna try and talk to the GM about working less hours or her at least hiring more people. (I know a few have applied).

I'm supposed to be working part time, and I have full time hours.

Dek
Sep 17, 2005, 05:34 PM
Next time they bitch at you, ask to speak to the General Manager. Also, explain to the Manager about the issue you have with his or her two daughters.

Kizaragu
Sep 18, 2005, 10:28 AM
On 2005-09-17 12:16, TheOneHero wrote:
I'm supposed to be working part time, and I have full time hours.
That sort of crap happens to me all the time, it's very Ironic. It's just life really.

In an old job I had, I was part time yet they'd really pressure me into doing too many hours and wouldn't really consider that I had college commitments too. They just wouldn't listen even when I'd protest. What made it worse is, that they'd add additional hours to my schedule without a) asking me and b) when I wouldn't be in to check.
They'd do this as early as a day prior and with no warning. No phone call, nothing.
I'd get no end of grief. It's one of the reasons I left.

Yet the last job would do almost the opposite.
I wanted full time and the store was largely understaffed, yet they wouldn't give me any hours other than Part-time. It's not like I was unreliable either?
Damn the world.

Scrub
Sep 18, 2005, 02:47 PM
If you're still in school and getting too many hours, just report them. :3 That'll sort things out.

Skorpius
Sep 18, 2005, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the world of jobs. Enjoy your stay. You applied for part time, and you got it. Your hours are set by them, and it doesn't matter what you like, dislike, or have planned.

Maridia
Sep 18, 2005, 04:42 PM
I've seen it happen way too much. Thing is, you have your priorities and you go to the managers and you say "Look. I have school. Because I have school, I cannot be here on these times that you have me planned for. My application said this."

You have to communicate it to them. All this LIVE WITH IT bullshit is stupid and wrong. If you just sit there and kinda whine about it, nothing gets done. You have to go to the source, and be firm. If the homecoming can't work out, then I'm sorry about that. See if you can switch shifts with someone. But seriously, do not let them walk on you. Job or not, you have to consider your schooling first and foremost.

Skorpius
Sep 18, 2005, 04:46 PM
I didn't see where it was interfering with schoolwork. Are you working weekends? 35 hours a day for 7 days a week is 5 hours a day. That would give you3 hours to do school work at night on weekdays, and plenty more on weekends.

Full-time hours are 40 hours a week. 35 is still part time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2005-09-18 14:49 ]</font>

Maridia
Sep 18, 2005, 04:52 PM
I guess it depends on just what you work. If my advice was pointless to you because it ISN'T actually interfereing with your school, just your weekends or evenings, then I apologize for it not being relevant. I've seen too many teenagers get pushed around by their jobs, say.. Starting work at 3 when they don't actually finish class until 3:30. So.. Just consider it. There isn't ALWAYS something you can do about your hours, but if it does begin to interfere with school, you can say something. And if you're under 18, which I can't remember if you are or not (XD), then you can get your parents to kick up a storm as well.

geewj
Sep 18, 2005, 04:55 PM
Remind them about your hours of availibility. When they give you a schedule that says something past your hours of availiability, show your manager and say you can't come in then.

If they didn't agree with your hours then they shouldn't have hired you.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 18, 2005, 05:14 PM
On 2005-09-18 14:46, Skorpius wrote:

Full-time hours are 40 hours a week. 35 is still part time.

Indeed.
It just depends on how many hours per day those are thrown together.

There are jobs of say 3 ten hour shifts and one 5 hour shift, still part time.

There are jobs where "hours past 8/shift" don't equal overtime as well.

Be firm with what hours you can work, and if it means sacrifices, then decide which is more important to you.

If they are giving you hours as stated earlier, before you even get out of school, then that's their problem, and they cannot be upset with you for not being out of school yet, with a modicum amount of time availible to get(ready) to work from school.

For every job out there, there is always a better one waiting?

But you've stated how you had a hard time, as do others, finding a job in the first place.

Keep your head up man.