PDA

View Full Version : Will Beast/Hume/Newman each have seperate set of costumes?

_Tek_
Sep 17, 2005, 09:50 PM
I was thinking, if that were true that would be alot of costumes to create for the game. I bet that you'll be able to put ethan's shirt on a male beast (for example). Since really, the only difference between each of these 3 races is facial difference, like ears and face. So do you agree? Just look at those 3 "rogue" characters. Each of them is wearing the same jacket. So I'm betting that's how it will work. We'll be able to choose from a large pool of costumes for each of these 3 races. The casts will obviously have their own pool of costumes to choose from.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-09-17 19:54 ]</font>

Dre_o
Sep 17, 2005, 09:57 PM
Yea that would be very interesting, having things like that. What will be extremely interesting is if you can put clothes on casts.

________
free joomla themes (http://themesfree.org)

_Tek_
Sep 18, 2005, 12:24 AM
Yeah, but that's not what I'm thinking. I'd think the casts would have their own set of costumes, since they are totally different. But I bet the Hume/Newman/Beast clothing will be altogether. Of couse there will be a split between the 2 genders set of clothes. This is all only based on the fact that those 3 "rogue" characters (the silly looking ones) all have the same vest, and each are from the 3 organic races.

Dre_o
Sep 18, 2005, 12:35 AM
Ah, i believe I see what you mean now.

________
buy vapor genie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Quo
Sep 18, 2005, 12:43 AM
It's not appropriate to use NPC features as justification for your theories about PC features. Those losers have the same jackets because they're part of the same orginazation. Consider it a uniform.

I'll bet the costumes are the same, at least for Humans and Newmans. But that's mostly because I know that ST is lazy. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

_Tek_
Sep 18, 2005, 12:58 AM
That's also true, there are NPC character's that may have non-choosable costumes.

I think it would be way better fo customization if you had all of the costumes to choose form for your character.

Kupi
Sep 18, 2005, 12:18 PM
Well, look at it this way: in PSO, each class had, essentially, one costume. Sure, you chose a color scheme, but there was no way to make a FOmar have anything but robes, a HUmar have anything but his armor, and so on and so forth. Here, there's something like 80 options for each article of clothing (chest, pants, shoes, etc.). Even if Beasts, Humans, and Newmen all have the same clothing option set... that's WAY more customization than we ever got in PSO.

Dre_o
Sep 18, 2005, 12:47 PM
Indeed and well said, whether costume mixing or not, characters are still gonig to be awsome.

________
mflb (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

tank1
Sep 19, 2005, 09:09 AM
Aslong as my ranger aint got to wear a porta-potty anymore i dont care.

Crystal_Shard
Sep 19, 2005, 11:34 AM
Anything's better than the awfully poor selection the male PSO characters were cursed with. XD Even the girls only got a handful of decent costumes, with the rest ending up awful.

*envisions the amount of fun he'll have designing characters as long as PSU lives up to the news updates :3

azjazo
Sep 19, 2005, 12:34 PM
well since it'll be PS2 / PC I hope they go crazy whit the costumes, the storage capacitiy of a DVD its HUGE, whit a good programming its just mater of a small size (in bytes) cgI model and a few textures (than can be, easily reused on diferent models) and a hue/saturation/brightnes/contrast value that change the colors of the textures (hey, that can be done since SNES times)

si, costumizations its hell easy and heel cheap ing byte terms, so, if ST doesnt meke t like that its either for lazziness or "conceptual diferences"

Spider
Sep 20, 2005, 05:02 AM
Character creation sure does look awesome for PSU.

I'll probobly end up spending hours with different costumes before getting into the game!

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 08:47 PM
On 2005-09-20 03:02, Spider wrote:
Character creation sure does look awesome for PSU.

I'll probobly end up spending hours with different costumes before getting into the game!

in a way i agree, im gonna take about 20 minutes and im probably gonna be a human male or beast male =0, also i can garauntee different classes will have different costumes.

Blitzkommando
Sep 20, 2005, 09:15 PM
On 2005-09-19 10:34, azjazo wrote:
well since it'll be PS2 / PC I hope they go crazy whit the costumes, the storage capacitiy of a DVD its HUGE, whit a good programming its just mater of a small size (in bytes) cgI model and a few textures (than can be, easily reused on diferent models) and a hue/saturation/brightnes/contrast value that change the colors of the textures (hey, that can be done since SNES times)

si, costumizations its hell easy and heel cheap ing byte terms, so, if ST doesnt meke t like that its either for lazziness or "conceptual diferences"

A DVD is not very large when you consider everything that must be put on it. Music alone can add up to being gigabytes in size, so long as you want "CD Quality". Any movies, based on Sega consistantly using MPEG type, are also going to be rather large. And, based on what we have seen thus far, there will be a number of movies, outside 'cutscenes'.

The various scripts in the game can also add up. By scripts, I don't mean the dialogue, even though that will also be large, but the various scripts that run the game. Example, the AI scripts. If the AI is any challenge at all, you will have multiple scripts for the many types of enemies. Other scripts include the ally AI scripts, any 'cutscene commands', and really every little detail that runs the game.

Also, seeing that Sega wants to have a very involved singleplayer mode, that will likely take 20~40 hours to complete, that will also add up to the total size. Include to this the online mode and you are talking about a lot of data! What I mean by this is, online and offline modes are now essentially totally different games. What can happen offline is not limited to the limitations of online. While the engine will be the same, with all the storyline and whatnot of offline being separate, similar to Episode III in some respects, we shall hopefully see stark differences between the two.

With better and better graphics and sound comes the price of storage space. Now, mind you I am not saying that Sega won't have enough space on the media, but, that they still have a physical limitation of that media. Also, based on history, Sega is going to push the limits of the 4.7GB storage limit with the media. Which, if Sega is truly wise, they shall use that same media for the PC version. That was, in my opinion, the biggest mistake of Doom 3. They used 3 CDs for what one DVD could do.

In any event, 4.7GB is looking less and less 'big' with today's technology and standards.

Rion772
Sep 20, 2005, 09:22 PM
On 2005-09-20 19:15, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:

On 2005-09-19 10:34, azjazo wrote:

A DVD is not very large when you consider everything that must be put on it. Music alone can add up to being gigabytes in size, so long as you want "CD Quality". Any movies, based on Sega consistantly using MPEG type, are also going to be rather large. And, based on what we have seen thus far, there will be a number of movies, outside 'cutscenes'.

The various scripts in the game can also add up. By scripts, I don't mean the dialogue, even though that will also be large, but the various scripts that run the game. Example, the AI scripts. If the AI is any challenge at all, you will have multiple scripts for the many types of enemies. Other scripts include the ally AI scripts, any 'cutscene commands', and really every little detail that runs the game.

Also, seeing that Sega wants to have a very involved singleplayer mode, that will likely take 20~40 hours to complete, that will also add up to the total size. Include to this the online mode and you are talking about a lot of data! What I mean by this is, online and offline modes are now essentially totally different games. What can happen offline is not limited to the limitations of online. While the engine will be the same, with all the storyline and whatnot of offline being separate, similar to Episode III in some respects, we shall hopefully see stark differences between the two.

With better and better graphics and sound comes the price of storage space. Now, mind you I am not saying that Sega won't have enough space on the media, but, that they still have a physical limitation of that media. Also, based on history, Sega is going to push the limits of the 4.7GB storage limit with the media. Which, if Sega is truly wise, they shall use that same media for the PC version. That was, in my opinion, the biggest mistake of Doom 3. They used 3 CDs for what one DVD could do.

In any event, 4.7GB is looking less and less 'big' with today's technology and standards.

ahhhim dumb, anyway you seem to know your stuff...do you know when its coming out in the U.S.? i think i heard february 2 2006...idk

_Tek_
Sep 20, 2005, 09:24 PM
After seeing the new video, I'm sure that hairstyles will be the same sellection for all races, but perhaps the clothing may not. I noticed you get 50 under the shirt/jacket option, and some of them looked the same but with different colors. So perhaps you won't be able to freely customize the colors on each type of clothing. Perhaps its actually 25 or less jackets, and each one has 2-3 color sets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-09-20 19:28 ]</font>

Kent
Sep 20, 2005, 10:24 PM
DVD drives are becoming more standardized; the reason that, say, Doom III wasn't on a DVD and instead was on 3 CDs was that DVD drives weren't as widespread, and they wanted as many people as possible to be able to play the game without buying new hardware for it. It's still up in the air, and too early to guess whether they'll use a DVD or CDs for the game yet, but I'm sure either way, they'd get a good amount of people to play it.

Rion772
Sep 21, 2005, 05:04 AM
yeah i hope its on 2 dvd's, im hoping its going to be huge, way bigger than pso..i just need to know when its coming out

_Tek_
Sep 21, 2005, 05:22 AM
The only way PSU could possibly be 2 discs is if story mode and online mode were seperate discs. There's no way I'd be playing online mode and have to swithc discs.

Spider
Sep 21, 2005, 05:32 AM
All the character data and what not would have to be on all discs too... which would kill a good deal of room.

Neith
Sep 21, 2005, 08:18 AM
I hope there is a difference between the Human/Newman costumes, but to be honest, I can see ST making a set of male costumes, then a set of female ones, and having the races choose between them, rather than a different set for each race.

I hope there is a good variety of costumes, I have to make my female beast look as similar to Uriko from bloody roar as a can http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

As for the CD/DVD issue, it'd be nice if they released it on both (multi-disk CD, or one disk DVD), to keep more people able to play. However, most people have a DVD drive now, so I don't think it'd make a massive impact.

Rion772
Sep 21, 2005, 04:52 PM
On 2005-09-21 06:18, UrikoBB3 wrote:
I hope there is a difference between the Human/Newman costumes, but to be honest, I can see ST making a set of male costumes, then a set of female ones, and having the races choose between them, rather than a different set for each race.

I hope there is a good variety of costumes, I have to make my female beast look as similar to Uriko from bloody roar as a can http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

As for the CD/DVD issue, it'd be nice if they released it on both (multi-disk CD, or one disk DVD), to keep more people able to play. However, most people have a DVD drive now, so I don't think it'd make a massive impact.

the only thing im truly hoping for is you can customize the face of the new beast race so they dont look soooo...wierd.

PhruitBaskit
Sep 22, 2005, 03:56 PM
Weren't facial features one of the customization options? I'm pretty sure that they are...

_Tek_
Sep 22, 2005, 08:22 PM
Rion doesn't read anything, he just skims and posts non-sense.

Rion772
Sep 22, 2005, 09:32 PM
for 1 ur off topic and 2thats a false accusation, ive only skimmed in like 3-4 topics,trust me ive read most of the others i read through all at once when i started, i'll finish reading everything when i get home tomorrow because i have school and a crammed schedule =/ and i read the beginning and end of the few that i have skimmed through, so make sure you know the whole story before you acuse someone of something

and ive seen that you can change the faces and voices and whatnot, i have read that and i've seen pics of it i was just simply stating that i hope that the beast characters dont look so wierd when you do make your character so its not a non-sense post..so your post was non-sense, not mine =0 (im not trying to be an A)

i wonder what all of the beast costumes are going to look like, and if you can change the way they look after a "nano-blast"

(Made all your posts into one for you. Try editting your post to add things instead of multi-posting)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2005-09-23 00:25 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Sep 22, 2005, 09:51 PM
I'm sure the hair color and certain facial patters you select for the Beast will also directly alter his "Nano-Blast" form.

Incidently, I'm not an admin in PSOW, but I think double posting is a no-no around here just like it is everywhere else.

Alielle
Sep 22, 2005, 09:56 PM
Rion, there's an edit button for a reason.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my $.02 on this topic. Having a shared wardrobe between every character class (i.e. the same texture sets) sounds like a good idea, but technically, they couldn't possibly fit the geometry of every model. You'd have to be prepared for some horrible stretching issues, and I think it'd be a big enough issue to make it a bad idea.

I don't mind the idea of seperate wardrobes at all, considering there's enough options in other areas that are probably more significant. Besides, wouldn't it suck to see everyone running around with the same outfit? :X

Parn
Sep 22, 2005, 10:14 PM
Making clothing fit is something that's already been addressed. Stretching the polygons for clothing isn't much different than the stretching that's done on polygons for the character models themselves. Besides, the numans, beast, casts, and humans all have the same exact starter proportion in character creation for PSU.

That aside, based on the character creation video footage, the three organic races seem to share the same underwear sets. I imagine it'll be the same case with the clothing too.

Alielle
Sep 23, 2005, 02:11 AM
On 2005-09-22 20:14, Parn wrote:
Making clothing fit is something that's already been addressed. Stretching the polygons for clothing isn't much different than the stretching that's done on polygons for the character models themselves. Besides, the numans, beast, casts, and humans all have the same exact starter proportion in character creation for PSU.

Actually, I'm not even sure we're on the same page here, but I'll try to elaborate.

Starting proportions between the characters may be similiar, but if the geometry for the character models differs between the races, you can't expect the textures to deform predictably. I'm sure, as they did in PSO, they account for the stretching that occurs when you change the proportions of your model when creating your character. Doing the same across three different races, I imagine, would force a lot of compromises in quality (as well as being a tedious task for the poor texture artist >_>). Under the assumption that the geometry is indeed different for each race, I'd imagine the most efficient way to go about creating the same wardrobe for every character would be to recreate the texture to work properly on each race. (Even if they did use the same models for each race, if they used the same UV mapping across the board, you'd get a ton of unsightly texture distortion.)

In other words, several races may indeed have access to the same outfits, but I'd be very surprised if they were created from the exact same texture file.

_Tek_
Sep 23, 2005, 02:34 AM
I can't be certain anymore since its unknown if the NPC clothing will be avalable, its appears ethan pants are there for selection from the video. But I also noticed that there are multiples of the same jacket, jsut different colors. So there may be only 20 jackets in all(this is the only example I have). BUT, if the NPC clothing is selectable(probably is), this shows there's way more than 20 or so. So right Now I must conclude that my first idea in this topic is wrong. There are probably a different set of costumes for each race.

And to the post above this one:
I bet all of the races have the same body proportions.

IceBurner
Sep 23, 2005, 03:01 AM
There seems to be some confusion between proportion/scale, and geometry.

A 3d model is made of trianges or squares that share edges and corners. The shared corners are "vertices", or "points".

You can take the points of a 3d model, stretch or deform them all you'd like, and it will still be the same model. Textures will stretch over it in the same way. This is pretty much how 3d animation works at all ^-^. A change like this is a change in the proportions of a model. Because of the way texture mapping works, large or disfiguring changes to a model's proportions typically mean you'll want a new texture, as the original won't look quite right stretched past a certain point.

If you add or remove just one edge or point of a 3d model, it's no longer the same model. One might need to redraw its textures, re-map them, re-do animations, or more depending upon how different the model becomes. This is a change to the actual geometry of the model, and it doesn't take much to neccesitate a different set (or sub-set) of textures. Models with more than the most minute difference in geometry cannot hope to share textures or mapping of any kind (unless you like looking at a mess).

Rubesahl
Sep 23, 2005, 08:55 AM
I'm not worried about races sharing costumes, I just want a distinction beween a fighter, a caster and a ranger if it's possible. With that I'd be happy http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif and it'd suck if it isn't like that cause the npcs in story mode have clear distnctions. It's gonna be like when all the hunewearl players wanted Elly's costuume >_> Hey, even I wanted it o.o;;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2005-09-23 06:56 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Sep 23, 2005, 10:52 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll see people who want to be spellcasters doing something "Force" oriented for costumes.

Of course, it's obvious not everyone will do it, so don't be surprised if you see a spellcaster looking individual running around with a ten foot sword or someone clearly dressed as a Hunter/Ranger walking around spamming techniques all over the place.

SubstanceD
Sep 25, 2005, 08:09 AM
I think each Race will have thier own unique look as far as clothing is concerned.

I think it is going to be like PSO ( say for example, there is no confusing a HUmar with a RAmar, they have thier own look ) except with a greater variety styles for each Race and customistaion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2005-09-25 06:11 ]</font>

omegabuild
Sep 25, 2005, 08:54 AM
it is possible there may be a select few things that are unique to race, but so far aside from cast, in the videos, you see dif races wearing same gear. So, it seems likely that as far as clothes go, there will be a large amount of clothes available to all humanoids.

as a side note casts dont seem to have agreat amount of options, where human newman and beast have 50 to 60 for tops. casts highest number is like 15 i think (might be eight) so cast looks like it will be the least unique overall

edit (when smileys attack)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegabuild on 2005-09-25 10:38 ]</font>

_Tek_
Sep 25, 2005, 11:49 AM
As for NPC costume's, evidence says we get them, other evidence says we won't. Take Ethan's clothes for example, in the video I saw that hi pants are selectable, and I also saw the same design as his shirt but black in CC. Now it could be possible that we actually get to customize him in story mode as a male hume character. But as for the other's (Hyuga, Karen, Leo) I've not seen those clothes anywhere in the videos in CC. Plus the new character Nav (the old kung fu master) is a cast but he is clearly wearing clothing. So perhaps certain NPC character's are just made from scratch, others may have been made through CC. Perhaps we willl actually get to unlock extra costumes.

DarK-SuN
Sep 25, 2005, 01:20 PM
To me, Nav is more like an old geezer with artificial eyes (or he just likes to wear crazy goggles) and not really a Cast; but hey, it does seem like Casts are not only androids but cyborgs now as well, so that'd probably include Nav in the end in case he has anything artificial in him.

_Tek_
Sep 25, 2005, 02:20 PM
Oh he's a cast, I checked (psu).com

(no i can't read japanese, but I compared different character screens with the rest and determined where teh race was listed)

(this helps too: http://www2.japanese-name-translation.com/jnt/index.asp)

OdinTyler
Sep 28, 2005, 09:30 PM
Regardless of whether clothing styles are shared between races or not, I believe I once read that tops, bottoms, shoes, etc can be individually chosen. Even if some costumes may appear similar, the fact that we can choose alternate segments in itself is innovative for PSO. Sure, we'd love more choices than we can shake a stick at but if what I read is true, still sounds good to me. The problem is we can only go by the chars from the offline game & thats not much help as its already been stated that NPCs tend to not follow the same rules as PCs. Just another wait & see thing...

OdinTyler
Sep 28, 2005, 09:32 PM
Oh I just thought of something. If its true we can buy customizations for our rooms (or will our 'partner machinery' be doing that?), is there a chance we can buy costumes or go to a mall or something? I mean from what I see the lobby looks like a huge mall anyway. Anyone have any info on possible stores or merchants in these lobbies?

_Tek_
Sep 29, 2005, 12:58 AM
That's a thought I also had. Perhaps extra clothing will be unlockable.

Rion772
Sep 29, 2005, 04:57 AM
i'm not worried about how my character is dressed...I don't really care how he looks except he better look cool, as long as your character isn't a liability it doesn't matter what you look like.

OdinTyler
Sep 30, 2005, 08:39 AM
I hope new clothing can be unlocked. I bet you that youll have to do unlocking by doing things in offline mode (curse it all!). As for looks, ya looks are superficial but I can still look cool while whupping ass! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Besides, some chars just have a certain look you strive for...