PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Rita

Eihwaz
Sep 21, 2005, 09:40 PM
So, Hurricane Rita is a category five hurricane...And it's headed directly towards Houston.

Fuck.

EDIT: Thanks Ryna. XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-09-22 09:58 ]</font>

Shiva91
Sep 21, 2005, 09:46 PM
May God keep you safe and everyone else who will be affected.

InfinityXXX
Sep 21, 2005, 10:18 PM
Yes, I hope you and anyone else in Rita's path are safe.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 22, 2005, 12:20 AM
Evacuate as fast as you can, if you can.

If not, prepare for the worst.

I've read of people even coming as far as San Francisco from the hurricane Katrina aftermath.

And also of California firefighters going to New Orleans to help.

I also read of Geraldo Rivera, an infamous reporter, screaming at officials who wouldn't let him and katrina victims cross a freeway to get to a place where there was food, water, and shelter.

Also, police firing over the heads of people who tried to cross a bridge to safety.

Take care of yourself.

Rubius-sama
Sep 22, 2005, 12:31 AM
I was trying to get to New Orleans earlier to help out with the recovery but sadly I didn't find any organizations here in Toronto that planned such an activity (and I didn't plan on going alone) =(

Maridia
Sep 22, 2005, 08:31 AM
Oh no, Wazzy.. Evacuate if you can, and bring your electronics! DX but stay safe, I know you will. Take care, and we'll all be praying for you.

Eihwaz
Sep 22, 2005, 11:57 AM
On 2005-09-21 22:20, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

We're not evacuating, and we are currently preparing for the worst. We're boarding windows, and we stocked up on food and water last night. Luckily for us, when my parents got to H.E.B. (a grocery store) last night, they had just restocked, so that's a great stroke of luck. :3

On 2005-09-22 06:31, Maridia wrote:
and bring your electronics!

I will personally see to the protection of the laptop, my games and game systems, and the family DVD/VHS collection. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

On the plus side, Rita is starting to show signs that she's going to slow down a bit before she hits, and she's swinging a bit to the east.

Kizaragu
Sep 22, 2005, 01:13 PM
It's rare moments like this that make me glad to live in Britain, where these things are considerably rarer.

I wouldn't know what to do if a hurricane came to my neck of the woods.
Terrified would be putting it lightly!

With everything that's been happening lately, Let's hope the damage is considerably minimal.
Good luck and We'll all be thinking of you chap.

Outrider
Sep 22, 2005, 02:13 PM
Good luck, buddy. Make sure you and your family stay safe.

Hopefully you won't get hit as hard as you were initially expecting.

Neith
Sep 22, 2005, 03:01 PM
I hope for the best for you, your family, and everyone in and around Houston...

Here's hoping it's not too bad =/

ABDUR101
Sep 22, 2005, 03:13 PM
Heh, isn't there word that it's leaning toward Lousiana now? Thats what a co-worker said, I dunno.

Either way, it's a category five still, right? Be safe, and just remember, even the people in Lousiana buckled everything down and thought they were safe. Not trying to scare you or anything, but realise the situation at hand. A hurricane is a hurricane.

Daikarin
Sep 22, 2005, 05:48 PM
It seems America can't have enough of similar catastrophes. Good luck.

"Birds of a feather fly together..."

Or something. Hang in there.

Hrigg
Sep 22, 2005, 06:04 PM
Best of luck Eihwaz. Yeah, stay safe. And even with everything boarded down, this is still a category 4/5 hurricane.

Stay safe.

hollowtip
Sep 22, 2005, 07:26 PM
On 2005-09-22 09:57, Eihwaz wrote:

On 2005-09-21 22:20, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

We're not evacuating, and we are currently preparing for the worst. We're boarding windows, and we stocked up on food and water last night. Luckily for us, when my parents got to H.E.B. (a grocery store) last night, they had just restocked, so that's a great stroke of luck. :3

I hope you and your family decide otherwise. If this hurricane keeps its category 5 status, you are gambling with mother nature. It sounds like you are taking the right percautions, but I personally would not take any chances with something that is so unpredictable and potentially devistating.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2005-09-22 17:26 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Sep 22, 2005, 07:49 PM
Personally, I would like to evacuate, but we really can't. Seriously. The traffic is backed up for hours, fuel is short, and it would really only add to the problem if we hopped in our cars and tried to leave town. Plane tickets are all sold out, too.

I'll try to stay connected as long as possible, and since we have a generator (actually, two of them http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif), I might even be able to connect to the internet during the storm...provided the cable stays connected. Even if it does, I'd probably rather have A/C (we bought a portable one) than internet.

Link00seven
Sep 22, 2005, 09:11 PM
I've been watching the new's. I can't believe ANOTHER Hurricane is here. It's so crazy...

I pray for you and everyone else that is/will be affected my Hurricane Rita.

Blitzkommando
Sep 22, 2005, 09:55 PM
Hurricanes are exteremely unpredictable. Especially in such warm waters. I am hoping for the best, but, expecting the worst. Every place has its natural disasters, we, as humans, have to adapt as best as possible. Take care, and, as much precaution as possible given the circumstances.

opaopajr
Sep 23, 2005, 03:07 AM
oh noes! this is so horrible! and you can't escape? how many other people are, or have been, in your situation because of the mass exodus. crawl to austin! bicyle to dallas! you must leave!

it's not only about fleeing the hurricane but fleeing FEMA! run! run! the feds are coming, the feds are coming! run! they haven't even provided extra buses from out of state to houston! danger will robinson! something wicked this way comes! flee! D:

Mystil
Sep 23, 2005, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure it's wise for you to stay, but of you absolutely can't leave then it cant be helped.

Bungee950
Sep 23, 2005, 02:22 PM
God must hate us. He sent us not one, but 2 F-ing hurricanes! Silly FEMA. <--that had to be said.

Best of luck, wazzy. keep the http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/pclaptop.gif safe, and eat lotsa http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/spam.gif.

Eihwaz
Sep 24, 2005, 03:56 PM
Update time.

The hurricane slowed down a lot, and swung a lot to the east...so, Houston only got the barest, weakest part of the storm. We've had moderate winds since late last afternoon, and also some very light rain.

Also, we lost power early this morning (around, oh, 3 AM or so), and we only just got it back on.

However, while we got the least, Port Arthur and the vicinity got the worst.

PJ
Sep 24, 2005, 09:09 PM
So, are we talking Hurricane Katrina bad Wazzy? What happened in Port Arthur?

Eihwaz
Sep 24, 2005, 10:45 PM
EDIT: Durrr. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-09-24 21:55 ]</font>

navci
Sep 24, 2005, 11:40 PM
On 2005-09-24 20:45, Eihwaz wrote:
*points to topic name*

It was Hurricane Rita, and yes, it did indeed smash Port Arthur. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I think PJ was asking how bad did it hit Port Arthur, if it was the kinda magnitude that Katrina had.

Eihwaz
Sep 24, 2005, 11:54 PM
Oh. Durrr. I need to read things more carefully. Anyway, I'm not sure, but I think Rita hit Port Arthur when it was category 3-4, so it's probably really messed up. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-09-24 21:56 ]</font>