PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of Symbol Chat - For the worse?

Eihwaz
Sep 22, 2005, 04:08 PM
In the newest trailer of PSU (well, the newest one posted on the PSOW homepage), we got a good look at what the online lobbies in PSU was like. We also got a first-hand look at the "evolution" of the symbol chat.

...my god.

I sincerely hope they change them. They're INCREDIBLY annoying, and that's when they're NOT getting spammed constantly by n00bs.

For those who haven't watched the trailer, the new symbol chat basically has a small rectangle appear over your character, with a zoomed in close-up of your character's face. Then, the face adopts an exagerated facial expression. The face itself is surrounded by garish sparkles/rays of light.

rena-ko
Sep 22, 2005, 04:16 PM
aww, so no artistic flair anymore? >_>

Uncle_bob
Sep 22, 2005, 04:21 PM
Nope. Just spammable icons. Now we'll constantly be seeing SSJGOKU characters with generic anime faces being spammed constantly. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Quo
Sep 22, 2005, 04:26 PM
And they'll probably have sound effects on top of that. Blah. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Rubesahl
Sep 22, 2005, 04:43 PM
I actually liked them o.o Not like I ever go to the popular lobbies. I do admmit though that part of the fun was the creativity but I'm willing to part with it, I never really put time in symbol chat. I also like the fact that the faces look pretty cool http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I always like looking at myself in online games >_>;

Shadowhanto
Sep 22, 2005, 05:13 PM
Sheesh and I thought I was gonna put my anime skill to work again... :| Oh well...at least its not stupid XD hah hah hah!
But really the game play and everything it didn't have in PSO makes up for it right......right?! :sweat: ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowhanto on 2005-09-22 15:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowhanto on 2005-09-22 15:14 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Sep 22, 2005, 06:25 PM
It's a pity that the artistic skill will be lost, but look on the bright side: you won't see certain potentially offensive designs with this system.

It might not be so bad really, might be possible to edit them in some way.
I'm sure it'll get some getting used to since it's diferent of what we were used to so far.

Reenee
Sep 22, 2005, 07:35 PM
I'm hopeful you can disable them altogether and replaced by text alternatives with the chat balloons.

Eihwaz
Sep 22, 2005, 07:46 PM
On 2005-09-22 17:35, Reenee wrote:
I'm hopeful you can disable them altogether and replaced by text alternatives with the chat balloons.

Amen. I would have no problem with this decision whatsoever if Sega implements some way to block them.

On the plus side, I am glad that you can no longer make n00b symbol chats (lolol look @ my hueg wang!!1), and I never spent much time making symbol chats either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-09-22 17:47 ]</font>

Kent
Sep 22, 2005, 07:57 PM
...At least we won't be seeing little kids' animations of whacking off any more.

_Tek_
Sep 22, 2005, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't call that symbol chat, or an evolution of it. Judging from the screens they've probably jsut removed the symbol function, and made somethign totally new here.

adamgnome104
Sep 22, 2005, 08:34 PM
I doubt they'll let them be spamable, I hope we can turn them off or block certain users.

It reminded me of something from Gundam when I first saw it. xD

I think they're very awesome though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adamgnome104 on 2005-09-22 18:34 ]</font>

_Tek_
Sep 22, 2005, 08:46 PM
It would be cool if their face was shown through your mail, or on their guild card.

Spider
Sep 22, 2005, 10:19 PM
I've never really been massivly into the symbol chat, pretty much only ever use the generic hello and hurrah! symbols.

Dark_Heal_v2
Sep 22, 2005, 10:47 PM
I really liked the new symbol chat system, Sonic Team made it resemble the fiscal expressions of characters in Japanese comics.

Uncle_bob
Sep 22, 2005, 10:48 PM
On 2005-09-22 20:47, Dark_Heal_v2 wrote:
I really liked the new symbol chat system, Sonic Team made it resemble the fiscal expressions of characters in Japanese comics.

Exactly why it will become horribly annoying. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Rubesahl
Sep 23, 2005, 09:02 AM
Yeah, they've pretty much resolved the profanity part in the symbol chats and still be able to express emotions http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif wohoo, it was so annoying playing online and mom going like "Is that what I think it is" lmao

Also, I hope you can disable the profanity filter... Why? I rather see the words as they're supposed to be written than their mutated forms or with spaces >_>;;
Amazing though how in PSO there's so much vulgarity while in other online games for PC they don't come even close to that. In that case I find a difference between some console gamers when compared to ones in PC. But that's just my opinion >_> -equips flame barrier just in case-

Reenee
Sep 23, 2005, 09:31 AM
At least everybody can dance better.

DarK-SuN
Sep 23, 2005, 10:48 AM
On 2005-09-23 07:02, Rubesahl wrote:
Amazing though how in PSO there's so much vulgarity while in other online games for PC they don't come even close to that. In that case I find a difference between some console gamers when compared to ones in PC. But that's just my opinion >_> -equips flame barrier just in case-

In my opinion this was partially due to the filter itself.
You know how people had fun trying to find ways to circunvate the filter, then when they did they'd use their discovery to use profanity, mostly because what's forbidden is usually the thing people want to do the most.

PhotonCat
Sep 27, 2005, 05:29 PM
On 2005-09-23 07:02, Rubesahl wrote:
Amazing though how in PSO there's so much vulgarity while in other online games for PC they don't come even close to that. In that case I find a difference between some console gamers when compared to ones in PC.

That is because in MOST MMOs and -especially- in MMORPGS, you WILL get banned for cursing/harassing. They have rules you must follow.
Unlike in PSO... cause Sega has shown they don't really give a darn what ppl do.

To get back on topic- I always thought the symbol chat was annoying cause you'd have these kids with very offensive pictures...
If the new way is what was shown in the trailer... I hope they let you block that too... cause it will get old and annoying after a while.

Reenee
Sep 27, 2005, 08:15 PM
Symbol Chat was annoying for the fact of how repetitive you could execute it.

Eihwaz
Sep 27, 2005, 08:22 PM
Well, the fact is, no matter WHAT kind of symbol chat-esque feature ST implements, they must include some way of blocking it. I mean, how hard it is to include an option that lets you toggle symbol chat on/off? On, you see it normally, off you don't see it.

_Tek_
Sep 27, 2005, 08:35 PM
I agree, there must be something to block those. These psu expression bubbles are much bigger compared to the symbols on gc.

Rion772
Oct 1, 2005, 05:55 PM
I thought the Phantasy Star Online style of chat was perfect, it shouldn't change except be updated with Phantasy Star Universe's weapons and items. The Symbol Chat looked perfect, it shouldn't change!

Kent
Oct 1, 2005, 07:03 PM
...That was kind of redundant. :/

Well, like I said, it's better like this, because there will be far fewer kids spamming lewd images with them, and prom the looks of it, it'll be far less annoying in general.

Rion772
Oct 1, 2005, 08:19 PM
On 2005-10-01 17:03, Kent wrote:
...That was kind of redundant. :/

Well, like I said, it's better like this, because there will be far fewer kids spamming lewd images with them, and prom the looks of it, it'll be far less annoying in general.

Hmm I have heard the term "spamming" my whole life and I still don't know what it means, could somebody PLEASE explain?

I haven't even seen the new Phantasy Star Universe style. I still like the Phantasy Star Online one.

Kent
Oct 2, 2005, 11:22 AM
Spamming refers to sending messages/doing actions repeatedly, and usually gets very annoying.