PDA

View Full Version : College sucks.

anwserman
Sep 23, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well, college itself sucks but I love every single thing outside of that little bit.

I have 15 credits right now, and they're a nightmare. I'm taking MATH114 (Calculus I), which is a prerequisite for CS255 (Advanced Java Programming) and CS250 (Discrete Structures)... which I'm currently enrolled in. I'm taking the prerequisite along with the courses that need them. Those two courses suck, as I forgot most of my Java programming so I have to relearn the basics along with more advanced concepts, and I've fucked up my grade in Discrete Structures thus far.. and guess what, I'ev done ALL my homework and I still do bad. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Another course, CS185 (Foundations of Computer Science) blows because it is mostly brute memorization of stuff at a fast pace... my first lecture class I guess... and that a guy that sits next to me (assigned seating, horray) I swear has AHAD. And it is bothering... and before I forget, MATH114 sucks ass too as the guy doesn't teach... mostly just throw stuff on the board and expect us to understand it... I've heard about his childhood twice so far in three weeks. ._. Oh yeah, I wake up at 6:30-7:00AM in the morning a 5/7 days of the week, and go to bed at either 11:30PM-1:00AM... i'm exhausted.

Other then that... it's been fun. Actually made out with a guy down here (and then some http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif), got a job at McDonald's (because eventually they'll fork over $4G to me), and I'm meeting tons of people. I also joined our local LGBA group and in process in of redoing our website. This paragraph is the cool, fun paragraph. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Now... yeah, other then classes, college is fine. Include the classes, it sucks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2005-09-23 13:05 ]</font>

FOAtHeart
Sep 23, 2005, 03:38 PM
Stick with it, d00d! I believe in you! XD

It is nice you're having fun outside of le collge; it would be pretty hopeless to be drowning in work and stress and have nothing to keep you sane. D:

Good luck!

ABDUR101
Sep 23, 2005, 03:49 PM
On 2005-09-23 13:04, anwserman wrote:
Other then that... it's been fun. Actually made out with a guy down here (and then some http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif),

Almost makes me want to enroll into college, get access to the dorms and partake of extra curricular activities..exlusively.

Fyrin
Sep 23, 2005, 04:24 PM
On 2005-09-23 13:49, ABDUR101 wrote:

Other then that... it's been fun. Actually made out with a guy down here (and then some http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif),

Almost makes me want to enroll into college, get access to the dorms and partake of extra curricular activities..exlusively.

Abdur, haven't you already been into college?

ABDUR101
Sep 23, 2005, 04:45 PM
On 2005-09-23 14:24, Fyrin wrote:
Abdur, haven't you already been into college?

Hell no. I dropped out of highschool, landed a job with a physical rehab company(where I've worked for the last five years) and am in the process of starting my own company with afew siblings.

Besides, even if I were out of college, it begs the question....why not?

Ketchup345
Sep 23, 2005, 08:45 PM
It doesn't seem that bad. The classes might suck, but the rest seems to more than make up for it for you.

My college life so far sucks too. 19 credits (plus some more hours in labs), a couple of waking up at 5:15 days after going to sleep around midnight (procrastinate >.<), and I haven 't done too well on any quizs yet. 12-15 credits seems like a dream to me. I am taking pre-calc, since on the placement test I never saw most of the stuff; the teacher is hard to understand (accent) and makes fun of the students sometimes.

And outside of classes is boring or filled with schoolwork. I commute, and people are idiots when behind the wheel; I've nearly been hit a few times on the highway. I also have to wake up extra ealy, to avoid rush hour traffic and finding a decent parking space (commuter parking is kind of tight).

Sorry if I hijacked the topic, but I also had to rant about college a bit.

JODDY
Sep 23, 2005, 08:53 PM
What's this college thing you speak of?

Skorpius
Sep 23, 2005, 09:20 PM
On 2005-09-23 13:49, ABDUR101 wrote:

Hahaha, I would have said the same thing. Congrats on the 'extra credit'. x;

CupOfCoffee
Sep 23, 2005, 09:39 PM
Eh. Wanna trade, answerman? =P

MATC is blowing the big one so far. It's more or less a glorified high school, only without that communal feel. Everyone just runs around from class to class not talking to each other, or hogging up the computers in the library so they can check their MySpace accounts. I have... *counts on fingers* two friends, and maybe five acquaintances. In the whole school. And a few of them I've just met since the year started. In fact, I don't even know the last name of one of my new pals.

Plus, with the frickin' gas prices, commuting there five days a week is getting to be a real pain in the ass. Oh, how I long for a four-year university with dorm rooms and parties and coffee shops and all-nighters and afternoon classes and... well, I'd basically take anything besides a bunch of stupid printing courses full of retarded students who can't pass tests on sixth grade-level math. I'm taking them while I wait for a spot to open up in the graphic design program, which is allegedly going to be next year. Damn. Now I depressed myself. College does suck.

Solstis
Sep 24, 2005, 12:36 AM
College rocks.

Classes suck.

Oh yeah, 3 days ago it was my boyfriend and I's 6 month "anniversary." http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-09-23 22:37 ]</font>

opaopajr
Sep 25, 2005, 03:03 AM
=o) i'm a language student. 3 upper division japanese courses, 1 upper division linguistics course. i miss english. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

i feel your pain, but mou benkyoushinakereba ikenain da yo (must study more)!

ps: congrats on the extra-curricular field goal or touchdown or triple sow cow w/ half genger or whatever it was. my panda does a victory roll for you http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/pandaroll.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: opaopajr on 2005-09-25 01:03 ]</font>

roygbiv
Sep 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
College is kind of crazy...

Spending most of my time studying as it is... but it occured to me that I have no idea what I am doing after I graduate (June)...

Social stuff is kind of hit and miss also... my best friend isn't around any more... so I have been kind of a hermit... in fact the most I can do social-wise is play a game of settlers of catan with some other friends once in a while.... (no time really for video games or anything really)...

Started dating some guy... which is nice... (but he really needs to shave)...

So college for me is kind of ok... Not nearly as exciting as some other people's experiences... but eh...

anwserman
Sep 26, 2005, 03:45 AM
Well, basicially, I think right now it comes down to not procrastinating so much. I mean, I do but I don't. I aim to get most of my homework done before last minute (mostly Calculus because its due twice... assignments are due on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and one is selected by the end of the week to hand in... so make sure the three are done by Friday), and I've gotten tutors for classes and such.

Basically, its called finding time to do things. Right now, I dunno. It's just odd... I'm having fun though, and thats all that really matters.

And I actually stand my job at McDonald's. I enjoy it, and I've progressed far in my training. Long story short, I'm on drive-thru #1 after two days, which is quite amazing from what I'm told (and a manager was spraying me with a spraybottle already, too. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Evil_Althena8
Sep 27, 2005, 02:26 AM
college may suck, but remember, at least you're doing something with your life.

Pagit
Sep 27, 2005, 01:39 PM
On 2005-09-23 18:45, Ketchup345 wrote:
I am taking pre-calc, since on the placement test I never saw most of the stuff; the teacher is hard to understand (accent) and makes fun of the students sometimes.

Sounds like the prof I had for my math course my freshman year of college. He wouldn't happen to be German, would he? You would also ask him a question, and he would respond, "What? Are you stupid or something?"

Ketchup345
Sep 27, 2005, 04:30 PM
On 2005-09-27 11:39, Pagit wrote:
Sounds like the prof I had for my math course my freshman year of college. He wouldn't happen to be German, would he? You would also ask him a question, and he would respond, "What? Are you stupid or something?"

No Indian/Middle Eastern/something around there.

When you ask a question he makes you do the problem, and if you pause for a second to think or look at notes (or the equation, since you should have written it down as not to try to read the fine print on the board), he continues, and says "you knew that all along, didn't you? Then why didn't you say it" or something along those lines.

Puppet_Papaya
Sep 29, 2005, 02:25 PM
Mmmmm..hahahaha! I think I'm in the exact opposite situation, answerman! I'm only at like 14 credits this semester (so I'll have to take lots next, ugghh) only 4 days a week. The earliest I have to be up is 8, and that's only every other day. The classes themsevles kinda suck. I'm doing all the homework but I havn't fared to well on tests so far. On the whole, classes are fine.
On the other hand, I have no car so I can't get a job. I have no friends here so when I'm not in classes I'm in my room by myself. However, every single person here is one of those anoying jock/preps so I would really rather not interact with them.
Yeah.