PDA

View Full Version : Newmans

Nidarrock
Aug 29, 2002, 10:16 PM
I have a question for Phastasy Star players. What exactly is a newman? I know they are genetically engineered, but does that mean they are born at a certian age, die at another and can they reproduce by themselves. The only PS game I've played is PSO. I know shame on me.

ABDUR101
Aug 29, 2002, 10:17 PM
Newman have cat DNA. They mature faster than humans and are infertile.

That's all I know =o

Spy
Aug 29, 2002, 10:20 PM
I know they taste like corn puffs.

ABDUR101
Aug 29, 2002, 10:22 PM
*hides all his PSO Dojin*
=X

You will nevah have their secrets!

*runs in room and locks door, intends to stay there for days*

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Aug 29, 2002, 10:25 PM
Meep, abdur101 must be thinking of that snapple cat meow =>_>=;;;;;
I assume numans and newmans are just inconsistant translations, so read this about their purpose...

From the Phantasy Star compendium site (http://home.att.net/~RACapowski/PS/comtrans.htm)
"The Purpose of the Numan's Existence
Seed, the supervising computer at the Bioplant, foresaw the harsh conditions Motabia and the people living there would undergo in the generations to come. Seed's assignment in Algol's environment maintenance system was to balance the ecosystem with the birth of a lifeform suited to the environmental changes. To this end, Seed began study on how to preserve the human race by improving it. Data on the "Neitype", studied for a similar purpose before the Great Collapse, became the basis for this lifeform. Fal was born under these circumstances, but not just as a new type of human. She was also expected to mix her bloodline with that of a human to perpetuate the new race of humans. The term Numan, then, means to say "the lifeform that will give birth to and become the matriarch of a new human race."
[older Fal and son] Settei dreamed up by Yoshida-shi on twelve years after Millennium. The man himself says they're just doodles, but I'd sure like them to come true. [Here's where things get interesting - in the settei, a somewhat older and sadder Fal (sporting a Hunter's uniform and a new haircut - a ragged just-short-of-shoulder-length cut with a Starlights-style ponytail in back) with her *son* Rui (could be "Louie", but I'm assuming his name is a derivative/diminutive of his father's)...."

So you see, when Rika jumps from the plane to Chaz at the end of PS IV, she doesn't want to be "just friends" =D
----

Next, I believe numans age quite fast, since Rika/Fal from Phantasy Star IV was only 1 year old

Hmmm, in Phantasy Star II, when characters HP went to 0, they would actually DIE, with a grave icon displayed on their battle frame. To revive them, you'd take them to a clone lab. It's kind of strange that when Nei gets killed by a monster, she can be revived at the clone lab, but when she gets whacked by her twin sister, she pulls an Aeris =x.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko on 2002-08-29 20:34 ]</font>

BlackRose
Aug 29, 2002, 11:41 PM
Short, that's what they are

Ness
Aug 30, 2002, 06:20 AM
I learned from PSO that a Newman's life span is indefinite; they could die tomorrow or in 100 years.

RavenTW
Aug 30, 2002, 07:25 AM
Sue was working for Black Paper, Ness. No matter what race you are, anyone who works for Black Paper could die tommorrow or in a hundred years.

Numans can either be made via procreation or genetic engineering. After PSIV, Rika (with assistance from Chaz http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) helped to populate the Numan race, and that is why there are a ton of Numans that helped in the Pioneer project.

Nidarrock
Aug 30, 2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks all for the info. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Aug 30, 2002, 01:52 PM
I think the bit with Nei in PSII was due to one of the many translation flubs in the game.

I believe that Nei and Nei-first were irrevocably linked.. without Nei-first alive, Nei herself couldn't survive. That's why the poor girl still dies in a cinema scene even if you revive her during the boss fight. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

*still awaiting a PSV after all these years*

Nidarrock
Aug 30, 2002, 02:31 PM
I was reading through the PSO strategy guide , last night, looking for info. In it they have a small section showing certain names and how they were changed, due to translation, through the 4 Phantasy Star games. It's a shame that it happened that way. I'm sure that the PSII that was in the Smash Pack Disc was not chnaged. Maybe I should try to play that considering I don't have money to buy Morrowind.

Salty_the_Salty_Man
Aug 30, 2002, 02:34 PM
wow talk about a ps history class

Ness
Aug 30, 2002, 03:51 PM
On 2002-08-30 05:25, RavenTW wrote:
Sue was working for Black Paper, Ness. No matter what race you are, anyone who works for Black Paper could die tommorrow or in a hundred years.

Numans can either be made via procreation or genetic engineering. After PSIV, Rika (with assistance from Chaz http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) helped to populate the Numan race, and that is why there are a ton of Numans that helped in the Pioneer project.

I wasn't talking about Sue. I talked to one of the Newmans walking around in the city.

OranDNA
Aug 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
I made love to a newman, and she had babies.

Saigan
Aug 16, 2007, 08:03 AM
The quick and easy is the explanation in PS2- created from bio-monster DNA.

CrimsomWolf
Aug 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
In Phantasy Star II they were created as a sort of "living wepon", a fusion of human and Biomonster DNA.
It is likely, that Mother Brain created "Nei project" as mean to create an army for Earthlings, her creator, hence Nei superior combat abilities. Rika's creation process was based on data from this project, so she too, had quite good combat abilities.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 19, 2007, 02:08 PM
Well, according to the audio drama, supposedly Numans were, in fact, created to destroy the Human race. Then, when SEED took over the project from DAUGHTER (DAUGHTER was destroyed, of course), it re-engineered the Numan race to be the salvation of the Human race-- somewhat ironic, I think.

In terms of PSO, the Newman race was meant to be an enhancement of the Human race. Just the same, Newmans in PSU were also meant to be a super-human race. The experiment was not entirely successful in either continuity. In each case, the experiment produced very intelligent humanoids with shortcomings in physical areas.

landman
Aug 19, 2007, 03:45 PM
Nei, Rika (Fal), PSO newmen and PSU newmen are all different species. I don't know if Nei was fertile but the rest ARE. And PSO/PSU newmen grow at the same speed as a human, only Nei and Rika were adults in a year or less

Sinue_v2
Aug 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
Actually it's never stated (to best of my knowledge) what speed PSO Numans age at. At best, there is circumstancial evidence that they age abnormally due to their unexpected lifespan. Once a Numan reaches maturity, they may or may not have average life spans. Dr. Montegue's age seems to be an indication of this - but then again, Dr. Montegue is a Numan who is credited as helping to create Numans. So on this point, I'm not even sure if Sonic Team knows.

Also, Rika and Nei were part of the same species. Different series though. Neifirst was part of the NM-1000 series, and so was Nei since she "split" from Neifirst. Nei was later improved upon and cloned along with NM-2011 as part of the NM-2000 series. Rika's seriel number isn't given, so I'm not sure if she's part of the NM-2000 or series or a new NM-3000 series. SEED took over the Numan project after the destruction of GENE, and changed the focus from them being Bio-Soldiers to Mating Partners in order to help spread beneficial genes to the humans living on Motavia. Even so, they are still the same species. Rika is every bit as capable at the BioSoldier bit as Nei and NM-2011 were.

PSU's Newmen are the only ones who are shown to grow old. Although Panganini would be closest to PSO as he looks rather middle-aged. He even appears older than Montegue, who "birthed" the Numan race. However, I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility that Dr. Montegue created the Numan species as a human, and then transfered himself over to a younger Numan body. Much the same way Nef Miyama transfered himself to a younger body as you see in Relmintos.

I believe that Nei and Nei-first were irrevocably linked.. without Nei-first alive, Nei herself couldn't survive.

I know you're probably not around any longer to read this, but Nei is actually a splintered part of Neifirst's mind. Neifirst was completely batshit insane, and apperantly had a multiple personality disorder. One part of her hated the humans who created and experimented on her... the other part felt pity for them. Nei eventually couldn't take it anymore and "split" from Neifirst - possibly through cloning. And NeiFirst was glad to be rid of her. However, they are both the same being. Nei, in her entirety, exists only as a fractured part of Neifirst's mind. This is why you can kill Nei and not affect Neifirst - but Neifirst's death is fatal to Nei. That's the link they share.

Since Nei and Neifirst are one and the same being, it's likely that the reason Nei forced herself into Rolf's assignment was because she KNEW Neifirst was behind the Biomonster outbreak. She also knew by joining Rolf, she would eventually confront Neifirst, and that she would have to kill her - which would result in her own death as well. From the very outset of PSII, Nei knew she was going to die for a people who hated and spurned her. And she still gave her life anyway, to help save what was good and noble in humanity. That is why she is regarded as such a tragic noble character.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-19 14:22 ]</font>

DezoPenguin
Aug 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
On 2007-08-19 14:10, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Actually it's never stated (to best of my knowledge) what speed PSO Numans age at. At best, there is circumstancial evidence that they age abnormally due to their unexpected lifespan. Once a Numan reaches maturity, they may or may not have average life spans. Dr. Montegue's age seems to be an indication of this - but then again, Dr. Montegue is a Numan who is credited as helping to create Numans. So on this point, I'm not even sure if Sonic Team knows.

I was also under the impression that the rapid aging of PSO Newmen was in part induced rather than a natural function (based off some of the Nef --> Relmitos comments, although my understanding of Episode III, like my playing of it, is aggressively limited). Therefore, "born" Newmen might mature normally while "made" Newmen would be hyper-matured since, frankly, Newman kids aren't really useful to anyone who might start growing them in a lab. Human beings, honestly, mature way too slowly for bioexperimentation purposes.

Also, Rika and Nei were part of the same species. Different series though. Neifirst was part of the NM-1000 series, and so was Nei since she "split" from Neifirst. Nei was later improved upon and cloned along with NM-2011 as part of the NM-2000 series. Rika's seriel number isn't given, so I'm not sure if she's part of the NM-2000 or series or a new NM-3000 series. SEED took over the Numan project after the destruction of GENE, and changed the focus from them being Bio-Soldiers to Mating Partners in order to help spread beneficial genes to the humans living on Motavia. Even so, they are still the same species. Rika is every bit as capable at the BioSoldier bit as Nei and NM-2011 were.

You sound like a man who's listened to the PS Memorial Drama CD. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Though, to be honest, I shudder at some of the canonity issues that raises, particularly when you start subjecting major player characters to mindwipes during the timeline of the game.

However, I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility that Dr. Montegue created the Numan species as a human, and then transfered himself over to a younger Numan body. Much the same way Nef Miyama transfered himself to a younger body as you see in Relmintos.

Wait...transferred to a younger body? I thought Nef transformed the body that he was currently occupying, as opposed to actually moving to a completely different body.

While Monty is definitely wacky enough to have carried out experimental genetic-level transformations on himself to turn into a Newman, then essentially have to discard-and-regrow parts of his body (probably by some variant of PSII cloning tech) so they'd conform to the Newman status of his DNA, I think I'd much rather assume the person who inserted that particular reference in the Blue Burst timeline was on crack at the time.

*pauses for Ian-KunX to observe that it was obviously the Ep. III writers who inserted said reference, based on my assumption*

I know you're probably not around any longer to read this, but Nei is actually a splintered part of Neifirst's mind. Neifirst was completely batshit insane, and apperantly had a multiple personality disorder. One part of her hated the humans who created and experimented on her... the other part felt pity for them. Nei eventually couldn't take it anymore and "split" from Neifirst - possibly through cloning. And NeiFirst was glad to be rid of her. However, they are both the same being. Nei, in her entirety, exists only as a fractured part of Neifirst's mind. This is why you can kill Nei and not affect Neifirst - but Neifirst's death is fatal to Nei. That's the link they share.

And now you sound like a man who's been reading my fanfiction. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Of course, therefore, I agree wholeheartedly with your entire explanation. In essence, the Nei we know and some love is almost like a remote terminal for the conscience-stricken part of Neifirst's mind to operate through, capable of existing basically because Neifirst is so uberpowerful as a technique/magic-user.

Since Nei and Neifirst are one and the same being, it's likely that the reason Nei forced herself into Rolf's assignment was because she KNEW Neifirst was behind the Biomonster outbreak. She also knew by joining Rolf, she would eventually confront Neifirst, and that she would have to kill her - which would result in her own death as well. From the very outset of PSII, Nei knew she was going to die for a people who hated and spurned her. And she still gave her life anyway, to help save what was good and noble in humanity. That is why she is regarded as such a tragic noble character.

Never thought of it that way...but it certainly makes sense (though to what extent Nei is aware of Neifirst's activities after the "split" is another question--depending on how aware of each other they are and also at what point she decided to bail out)!

zandra117
Sep 25, 2007, 08:45 PM
Nef Miyama didn't transfer himself into a younger body, if I remember correctly, in PSO ep3 it said he was taking Newman anti-aging drugs.