PDA

View Full Version : It's BASIC math...

Dek
Sep 27, 2005, 05:14 PM
This has happened quite a few times (already http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif ) in my Math class, but today's situation just takes the cake...

Today, we were learning about Rational Expressions and Functions. Now today really wasn't that great of a day already (answered a shitload of discussion questions in Philosophy incorrectly today and I wasn't able to hang out with a girl I've know from middle school), so you think I would get a break, right? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Anyways, we were given this problem (this was part of out notes)

3a + 12 / 3

Now normally, I or one of the other students would answer immediately. However, we decided to give the rest of the class a chance to answer...

30 seconds of silence...

I kid you not...30 seconds...

I thought to myself "screw it" and answered just so we can finish the notes for the day (haven't been able to for the past 3 classes because the students can't answer such a simple thing)...

And for those of you who still don't know, the answer is a + 4

Now why am I ranting about this? Because it is nothing more than SIMPLE division. The only difference that this problem has compared to 12 / 3 is the fact that you are dividing a binomial by 3.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-09-27 15:17 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Sep 27, 2005, 05:33 PM
Isn't 3a + 4?

Blitzkommando
That's because:

1. People are lazy, if the same people answer the questions all the time, they will expect it. Thus, when it doesn't happen, nobody will answer.

2. People are in the mindset of, "LOLZ I DUN NEED MATHS!!11"

Oh well, we get to have those people sell us our cheeseburgers at McDonald's twenty years from now. Unfortunately, we will also have to correct them for the exact change.

Hrigg
lol, that's kind of pathetic actually.

I mean come on, everyone should know stuff that simple. That's exactly how it is with me, if I don't answer it, no one does.

:3

Not much you can do about it though.

Hrigg
Sep 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
On 2005-09-27 15:33, Scejntjynahl wrote:
Isn't 3a + 4?

Technically it is.

:3

Saying as you always put the things with greater value (variables basically) to the left.

So... yeah.

RicoRoyal
Sep 27, 2005, 05:42 PM
Isn't 3a + 4?

Pretty sure Arthas just forgot to put parenthesis around "3a + 12"

@ Arthas: Wutz wr0ng wit j00? Itz basik math!1

So, yeah... on topic, just repeat everything Blitz said but with my name in place of his. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

EDIT: Pretty sure I made a typo XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RicoRoyal on 2005-09-27 15:45 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Sep 27, 2005, 05:50 PM
On 2005-09-27 15:42, RicoRoyal wrote:

Isn't 3a + 4?

Where did he forget to put the paranthesis?

And for those of you who still don't know, the answer is a + 4

Honestly I think he just made a typo or something. And most people don't like to answer because they fear they may make a mistake. And nobody wants to make mistakes, specially in a class full of people.

EDIT:

ok. So instead of 3a + 12/3 he meant (3a +12)/3?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scejntjynahl on 2005-09-27 15:54 ]</font>

RicoRoyal
Sep 27, 2005, 05:56 PM
Yes.

(3a + 12) / 3 = a + 4

Scejntjynahl
Sep 27, 2005, 05:58 PM
Yes simple math... simply do not forget the "()" it makes a world of difference http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Dek
Sep 27, 2005, 06:13 PM
On 2005-09-27 15:42, RicoRoyal wrote:

Isn't 3a + 4?

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Oh yeah. Forgot the parenthesis...

Then again, the teacher did have parenthesis on the problem either and he told us it was a + 4 (mostly because it is technically a binomial and that all the numbers within the binomial get divided by 3)...

3 years at the community college, and I'll be off to a university. Please let me live with my common sense and whatnot still intact...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-09-27 16:14 ]</font>

Shattered_weasel
Sep 27, 2005, 07:30 PM
I honestly thought I was stupid after sitting there trying to figure out how you got that.

PJ
Sep 27, 2005, 07:51 PM
You know, some people naturally have more trouble in math than you do.

LOL Let's laugh at people who may not get it as quickly as you! OMGenius! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Dek
Sep 27, 2005, 07:56 PM
On 2005-09-27 17:51, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
You know, some people naturally have more trouble in math than you do.

LOL Let's laugh at people who may not get it as quickly as you! OMGenius! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

That may be true...

However, a I said before, this was nothing more than simple division. It would also be like saying...

3a / 3 and 12 / 3

obviously, the answers are "a" and 4

This is stuff that should have been within a person's brain before entering High school, if not middle school.

And I wasn't laughing at anyone.

And besides, if you have a problem with something, you must learn to take action against that problem. I did, and I have been getting much better grades in Math classes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-09-27 17:57 ]</font>

PJ
Sep 27, 2005, 07:59 PM
Well, I only really have a problem because this strikes a little close to home... >_>;;;

I failed Grade 10 Math, and have a lot of trouble with it. As long as you aren't making fun of these people http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (And I didn't get the math problem until you reposted it in your latest post http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif)

Dek
Sep 27, 2005, 08:03 PM
On 2005-09-27 17:59, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
Well, I only really have a problem because this strikes a little close to home... >_>;;;

I failed Grade 10 Math, and have a lot of trouble with it. As long as you aren't making fun of these people http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (And I didn't get the math problem until you reposted it in your latest post http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif)

Perhaps it was the lol smiley I used that caused you to think that I was making fun of them. If that was the case, then I apoligize for making it look like that.

Besides, if you have problems, let me know. I'd be happy to help...

But in the meantime...

*Fire Topic Buster*

Back on topic...

geewj
Sep 27, 2005, 08:38 PM
On 2005-09-27 17:30, Shattered_weasel wrote:
I honestly thought I was stupid after sitting there trying to figure out how you got that.

Yeah me too.

I was all sad.

KodiaX987
Sep 27, 2005, 08:42 PM
One day, my chemistry teacher exclaimed out loud the response some student had written down to an exam question.

The question was the last part of a multi-part problem:

The teacher exclaimed: "What is the pressure? P!"

We all laughed our asses off. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Solstis
Sep 27, 2005, 11:01 PM
On 2005-09-27 15:33, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
2. People are in the mindset of, "LOLZ I DUN NEED MATHS!!11"

Oh well, we get to have those people sell us our cheeseburgers at McDonald's twenty years from now. Unfortunately, we will also have to correct them for the exact change.

Wow, way to devalue my major (English). :/

I'll have a dead-end job sitting at a desk for the next 50 years, thankyouverymuch.

Then again, I make fun of those that claim that English is useless.

navci
Sep 27, 2005, 11:52 PM
AH well.
I was never that great in math class. I got all the help I asked for but none of them has ever do anything to me.

I am just glad I never have to touch math again.

Rubius-sama
Sep 28, 2005, 04:55 AM
o_O

I thought you were in college Arthas o_O

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 28, 2005, 05:15 AM
On 2005-09-28 02:55, Rubius-sama wrote:
o_O

He mentioned community college.

These colleges have high turnaround/drop out rates.

Someone once called it "high school with cigarrettes" citing "a junior college is not a real college." http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

If you're that much better than your class at math, shouldn't you be in a higher or more advanced class?

Scejntjynahl
Sep 28, 2005, 09:38 AM
On 2005-09-28 03:15, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

o_O

Someone once called it "high school with cigarrettes" citing "a junior college is not a real college." http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

If you're that much better than your class at math, shouldn't you be in a higher or more advanced class?

He might have not scored high enough on the placement exam. And thus probably has to this "basic math" as a prerequisite to a higher math class. But if it is as easy as he says it is, he could challenge the class. He will need the Dean of the school to okay it. But if he passes the "challenge" which is a comprehensive exam of the whole course in one sitting, he can advance to next level of math.

Daikarin
Sep 28, 2005, 09:55 AM
It may be just me, but after reading your post for a few seconds I didn't properly get what you were supposed to do with

(3a + 12) / 3

- Discover the value of "a"? (E.g solve it? If so, presented like this, isn't an equation of any kind)
- Simplify?
- Substitute "a" for a given value?

Only when I read someone else's hints from their posts I realized you were supposed to simplify, even without the point of the parenthesys.

The point is, nobody may have been listening. If you see an expression on the screen/board/slideshow, and you don't hear what you're supposed to do with it, you'll get lost. That's probably what happened. Besides, normally most guys don't care because there are those who are either paying attention and answer or those nerdy students who answer the professor quickly to earn a few extra grade points. Or, if it were early in the morning, most probably didn't get a good night's sleep and were barely awake at the time of the class. Happens to me, and can happen to everyone.

And you surely don't measure the level of someone's or some group's intelligence by if they answer random questions or not. Just because I get it, doesn't mean I want to answer every random question he poses. And if I know the answer, I'll quiet myself so that others who don't can find out.

30 seconds of silence may mean a lot of things, not necessarily stupidity from everyone, or even from anyone.

Just a thought. Enjoy your classes. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daikarin on 2005-09-28 08:04 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Sep 28, 2005, 09:56 AM
I consistently failed math classes, and guess what, I don't give a shit. =]

So some people have problems with numbers, maybe those people kick ass with other aspects of life that you absolutely suck hardcore at.

And 30 seconds? Dood, when I was in school, we had one or two smart kids in each class, and the teacher would make them be quiet so someone else would answer, we'd set there for up to five MINUTES and just end up laughing that we were trying to wrap our heads around an equation and could'nt do it. But we did'nt care, because we knew we were better at other things.

What you may see as what should be "common knowledge" by a certain grade doesn't matter. Everyone has different mental capacities and different people are able to excel at different speeds in different aspects.

Just go with the flow and don't worry about how fast, or slow, those around you are. If anything, feel bad for those who are struggling and really just can't get their minds around what they're trying to learn.

Nothing is worse than trying to understand a concept or how something works, and being unable to grasp it, when it seems like those around you do it as if it were second nature.

Neith
Sep 28, 2005, 10:10 AM
Heh, even looking at that now, I have NO idea how you get an answer, and I passed Math easily. My younger brother wanted help with a paper he had. I felt stupid that I couldn't do the math.

What's simple to YOU isn't simple for everyone else. Some people have a real gift when it comes to math, others are more artistic, some thrive with literacy.

As for me, I'm more artistic and am capable with literacy, but my Math leaves something to be desired.

Dek
Sep 28, 2005, 10:26 AM
On 2005-09-28 07:38, Scejntjynahl wrote:

On 2005-09-28 03:15, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

o_O

He might have not scored high enough on the placement exam. And thus probably has to this "basic math" as a prerequisite to a higher math class.

Precisely. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Anyways, perhaps I am being a little too...um...demanding...of people these days. Though, in the back of my mind, I always had a good reason as to why (see above posts).

And whether it's a college or community college does and doesn't matter. If I really wanted to, I could just stay at Harper and get my degree in computer science. However, to some degree, I could have gone to a university. However, I don't have enough to pay for four years of a university. Only 3 years of a community college (around $1500 per semester depending on classes) and 2 years of a university (im guessing around $16,000. Fluctuates too much for me to come up with an average).

Oh well...once I'm out of Math 080, I'll be in 103 (if I recall correctly)

Daikarin
Sep 28, 2005, 10:34 AM
You're not too entirely demanding. If you're at an engineering-college, you ARE expected to be good at numbers, and that in particular ought to be basic.

If you were at a college which only had one or two chairs revolving around numbers, then you were probably too demanding. But if you're somewhere where it all revolves around laws, somethings should be basic to anyone who wants to get a degree on that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daikarin on 2005-09-28 08:36 ]</font>

roygbiv
Sep 28, 2005, 11:13 AM
Calling on people I find is a pretty poor method to teach... if the teacher wants to know where people are in terms of understanding he/she can find this out easily from problem sets etc...

anyways...

to quote barbie...

"Math is hard. Let's go shopping!"

Link00seven
Sep 28, 2005, 10:02 PM
Haha, yeah I know EXACTLY what you're coming from.

I have Alg 3 / Trig right now, and an Accounting class, and it's just crazy how stupid the kids are in both. It's not the hard stuff that gets people, it's the basic math. I know people that failed the first quiz in Alg 3 cause of basic math.

Then you have the kids that can solve the most complex of equations, but can't even balance a fucking checkbook! It's not hard to go "$451.00 - 59.45" okay?!

Yeah, kids in high school are a mystery...it's good to know that some of them are mildly intelligent, but the smart ones are outweighed by the idiots.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 29, 2005, 02:16 AM
I don't see how this is that big a deal.

If you finish your work faster than the others big deal. You want a medal? If you understand it, great. If others don't, same thing. Does it matter that much whether or not they understand it, if you do?

You're taking the class for you, not them.

This is of course where time comes into play.

If the class as a whole doesn't understand something, will it set you back? Will you not get to go farther into the book/concepts/get enough of your requirements learned?

Why not ask to go ahead while the others are staying on the earlier works? Best to get your money's worth in the class right?
----
I have a different perspective on this issue from my experiences.

I took Alegbra 1(CPM 1) in 8th grade. Algebra 2(CPM2) in 9th, luckily with the same teacher even though it was in a different school. Aced both classes.

10th grade CPM3/Trig., a bad teacher for the most part. I still aced the course, but had to teach myself the work, he only graded it, and didn't explain errors much if at all.

11th grade, Pre-Calculus and I couldn't understand anything in it. I couldn't pass this course and move on to Calculus in senior year.

I thought I was hot stuff, the real head of the class, until "pre-cal". Dropped out. Never went back to math the next year.

So take a chill pill. Its safe to assume not everyone in that class is going onto be engineers/etc where math skills are key, since its more or less basic math right? They don't have to progress if they don't pass the course. Be thankful for that.

Orange_Coconut
Sep 29, 2005, 06:43 AM
Hmm, well everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. It may seem like the people are stupid because they took a while to answer what is considered to be a simple math problem, but to some people math is like another language. So it takes some thinking as to what exactly everything in the problem means. Kind of like how you will need to think about what every word means in a sentence from another language.

For some people it's easy to learn, for others it's not that simple. Everyone works at their own pace, some slower than others. That doesn't make them too slow though, they're just different. Even if you learned that kind of problem years ago, things can be forgotten easily. Usually if you don't care enough about something it'll be forgotten, but there are also people who try their hardest to keep up in certain subjects but just can't.

Everyone is different, basically. Everyone has different standards, even when society tries to set general ones.

navci
Sep 29, 2005, 10:22 AM
On 2005-09-29 04:43, Orange_Coconut wrote:
Hmm, well everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Hear hear. Voice of reason! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
I'd like to remind people that sometimes when people go into engineering, they have not a fucking clue what they are doing. Engineering is cool, parents dig that.

I was pressured into getting into a math-oriented branch of class at some point in life. And you all know it now, I can't do it for shit, and I hate it. But I'd have gone in had I been able to make the requirement and be like an idiot in class trying to keep up.

Not everyone is built for math, or even remotely like it. So some people can't do math, really, big deal. ._.

KodiaX987
Sep 29, 2005, 11:02 AM
Well, there's failing at math and failing at math.

On one side, you have someone who takes some algebra class, doesn't do well, and goes off to do some other stuff that he's better at.

On the other side, you have the guy who proposes to buy your paycheck for $50 and sincerely believes he's making a good deal.

Scejntjynahl
Sep 29, 2005, 11:05 AM
On 2005-09-29 09:02, KodiaX987 wrote:
Well, there's failing at math and failing at math.

On one side, you have someone who takes some algebra class, doesn't do well, and goes off to do some other stuff that he's better at.

On the other side, you have the guy who proposes to buy your paycheck for $50 and sincerely believes he's making a good deal.

Or when a mini mart sells two bottles of water at 2 dollars, when individually they only cost 99 cents.

But like stated before, math isnt for everyone, just like literature, history, science, and etc wont be for everyone as well. Yet for some reason math is favored more in most of the world. It is like a concrete measure of one's worth. Which is ridiculous, but unfortunately still that view prevails even today.