PDA

View Full Version : Strangeness with names

Jason
Sep 29, 2005, 06:34 PM
I've been wondering about this to myself, that the name of a person is what gives the person a certain appearance. I don't mean that the form takes 100% like that, otherwise I would had been seeing twins.

Anyway, I've seen this "strangeness" at least 2 times. There's this person named Jonathan who I know from school, and when I went to do my summer job I've seen the other person who I did not know. His name, I did not know. But my mind says Jonathan, he looks like a Jonathan to me. Well, guess what his name is when I figured later? Jonathan. O.o
Another time is this person named Mark who I met from some camp. Knowing him and his appearance, a couple years later from elsewhere I've seen this man who have this face that looks kind of like Mark's who I know. And what's this man's name? Mark. ;>>

Have something like this happened to you, or is it just me? I know it is a mere coincidence or whatever, but I just find it weird.

Monomate
Sep 29, 2005, 07:05 PM
I'm a Jonathan...

did you meet me...?

Jason
Sep 29, 2005, 07:26 PM
I doubt it.

Cynric
Sep 29, 2005, 07:29 PM
How can two parents' agreement on a word affect someone's physical genes?

Jason
Sep 29, 2005, 07:36 PM
You think I didn't know that?

Wyndham
Sep 29, 2005, 08:47 PM
well, I guess i look like an Oran, but i doubt youll ever meet another person with that name.
though, thats only my middle name.
my first name, only one of the people i met ever came accross another person with my name and he was a huge black guy with very short hair.
so there are probably more exceptins to the rule than there are actual proofs for the arguement, in my experience.

Jason
Sep 29, 2005, 09:23 PM
On 2005-09-29 18:47, Oran1324 wrote:
well, I guess i look like an Oran, but i doubt youll ever meet another person with that name.
my first name, only one of the people i met ever came accross another person with my name and he was a huge black guy with very short hair.
so there are probably more exceptins to the rule than there are actual proofs for the arguement, in my experience.

I've seen Jason's out there who look too different to look like me, but come on. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Maybe you need to go out more.

Wyndham
Sep 29, 2005, 09:30 PM
On 2005-09-29 19:23, Jason wrote:

On 2005-09-29 18:47, Oran1324 wrote:

I've seen Jason's out there who look too different to look like me, but come on. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Maybe you need to go out more.

my first name is Wyndham.
ive only heard of Wyndham Lewis (the artist i was named after) and that huge guy.
i get out enough.

Blitzkommando
Sep 29, 2005, 09:57 PM
I would say that the name matches more with the person, not the person matches the name. When you think of certain names, you get a mental image for that name. Depending on who you have seen and met with that name, you will automatically see people with similar traits and guess they also share the name. Of course, this is extremely easy with so many people with such common names. John, Robert, Mark, Michael... etc. Chances are you could guess someone has one of those names and you would probably be correct. If anything, it is simple mathematic probability. Afterall, you would be more likely to be correct in guessing someone is named John than, say, Evelyn.

Rubius-sama
Sep 30, 2005, 04:56 AM
Some people might believe this, but I personally think it's a result of exaggerated human emotions.

Jason
Sep 30, 2005, 02:04 PM
On 2005-09-30 02:56, Rubius-sama wrote:
Some people might believe this, but I personally think it's a result of exaggerated human emotions.

I do think it is more of a result of exaggerated human emotions rather than what the person is named, too.

I don't believe with what I said, it's just a thought and the coincidence I was in that I find strange in a way.

Zelutos
Sep 30, 2005, 03:33 PM
i dare you to find another Kyle in the world that is as sexy as me.

Rubius-sama
Sep 30, 2005, 03:34 PM
I don't believe it either but it has crossed my mind, and I'm sure it has crossed many other minds as well.

rena-ko
Sep 30, 2005, 04:06 PM
vowels carry emotions.
names that consist of many a's and e's sound lighter and warmer than those with only o's and u's for example.
imho, a name and its sound will have a slight effect on the personality.

hm, maybe i should work on a dissertation about this.

and about guessing names... maybe a dejavu?

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 30, 2005, 07:44 PM
On 2005-09-29 17:29, Cynric wrote:
How can two parents' agreement on a word affect someone's physical genes?

Actually, the physical genes are more likely to affect the name, in a manner of speaking.

Consider this:

Every culture in the world has their own subset of common names. Each community within a culture will also have a subset of common names. As a result, families of a given lineage are prone to choosing certain names.

Italians, for example, are prone to choosing names like Gina, Tito or Luigi. Mexicans are prone to choosing names like Juan, Jose and Maria. Black families (especially those whose ancestry spent a few generations in France) are prone to choosing, Leroy and Tyrone. Northern Europeans are prone to choose Steiner and Hans.

So we can therefore demonstrate that names tend to associate themselves with certain ancestries. When coupled with the observation that general characteristics, such as the expected shapes of facial features, are also carried from one generation to the next, it becomes apparent where this sort of association might come from.

Another thing you might observe, is that people with certain names may tend to have certain habits. Some superstitious types might blame this on Numerology, but the truth of the matter is a little more interesting.

Your name is indeed likely to have an impact on your personality. The reason is because large portions of your personality are the product of the environment you exist in. For example, if you frequently get shocked with static electricity when grabbing doorknobs, then chances are, you sometimes hesitate to open a door.

The interesting thing about your name, however, is that this is the handle that others know you by. People are prone to reacting a certain way to a given name, and that reaction will typically be inspired by past experiences with others of the same name. You will consequently react to their reaction, which, through a long and complicated collection of influences, may eventually turn out to be very similar to the other person with your name that your friend previously knew.

For the same reason that makes it possible for the name to affect your personality, the time of year you were born will have an impact as well, thus somewhat validating superstitions about zodiacs influencing your personality. Your youngest years are the most important in terms of development, and the impact the environment has on your first few years of life is rather likely to influence the way you think about things. For some reason, people born in September tend to think about things very mechanically and often are very caring; apparently there are a lot of Virgos that become doctors. People born in March, for reasons beyond my comprehension, tend to be very agressive. I don't know specifically what about the environment inspires these reactions, but I can see how your birthdate can impact the way you think.

So anyway, yeah, I just thought that was an interesting bit of information to share.