PDA

View Full Version : That doesn't quite add up ;o

Saiffy
Oct 4, 2005, 10:36 PM
As a few people probably know, I play hockey during winters, just for fun, not a serious league(Serious enough to practice twice a week, but yeah).

As fewer people know, I didn't really want to play this year, since my marks aren't good, but I want to get a job for...Well, to keep it simple, I need money. Now I told my dad this, but he signed me up for hockey regardless. So I have to juggle hockey, job(Soon) and school. Which would be the end of this (not so) rant. If not for the agreement I had to reach with my dad.

After practice tonight, we sat in the van for about 10 minute talking about all this. Long story short, he said in order for him to give me permission to work, I'd need to play that year..Make sense? Nooope. What really bugs me is that I don't want to play this year(8 years of playing, I'm tired of it and specific people I've played with over these years). Not to mention I did get guilted not just by my dad, but by the team(If I drop out, they don't have enough players and have to forfeit games until they can get a permanent person from the 14 year old teams).

There's no real advice that can be given, I gotta play, I gotta pass, I gotta think of a word for work that starts with 'P'. Most parents want their kids to work at my age, guess that isn't so in this case.

ABDUR101
Oct 4, 2005, 11:31 PM
On 2005-10-04 20:36, Saiffy wrote:
I gotta think of a word for work that starts with 'P'. Most parents want their kids to work at my age, guess that isn't so in this case.

"Procrastination"

And well, in the end, goodluck. Maybe your dad looks at it as you should keep your duty to your team until they can find a replacement? That way you're not just blowing it off, but holding to it. A sense of responsibility so to speak.

I can understand to an extent, but I don't think I'd stop someone from getting an actual job just to make them play a sport, expecially if they weren't "into" it anymore.

School, Work, Hockey. But I guess School, Hockey, Work isn't all that different eh?

Scrub
Oct 5, 2005, 04:42 AM
You do not like playing it, but you still have a commitment that you must fulfill. If you can not keep THIS commitment, how would your father know that you could commit to a job? Sure, you say that you want a job NOW, but there will be days that you'd rather be doing something else just as you are now. Your father is probably testing to see if you have the responsibility and determination to handle a job.

:3~

Lenard
Oct 5, 2005, 09:05 PM
"Punishment"

opaopajr
Oct 9, 2005, 05:43 AM
wow, condemned to play sports... personally, i'd hate it. when my folks tried forcing me through sports i rebelled. i went through the motions, and when i could i'd flake, or not actually practice with the team, walk off the court, etc. if i don't wanna do something, and see no benefit in the future, i'm not doing it.

but you sound like a good kid. so kind that you actually listen to your dad's desire for you to play hockey. and also supporting your teammates need for a player. very good child, most filial.

my advice... well, i'd say not participate and try to find a way to make internet sales. but then, that's probably not the comment you wanna hear.