PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Madzozs
Oct 7, 2005, 09:45 AM
1 word to describe how I feel.

Thisgamekicksass.

I absolutely love Aria of Sorrow for the GBA. I went all out and got every soul, every item, 100.3% map clear.

Anyone else get it? A few of my friend are now considering buying a DS.

ABDUR101
Oct 7, 2005, 09:56 AM
Funny that I was even considering a DS over this game.

But, how are the controls for it? Explain them abit?

Madzozs
Oct 7, 2005, 10:05 AM
Well the game is played on the bottom screen.

Controls:
D-Pad moves you
Select swaps the top screen between map and status screen
Start goes to Options/Menu
L does the backdash
R does one of the equip soul types
B jumps
A controls the "special" weapon attack.(I don't remember what they called it exactly.)
Y attacks normal
X switches between 2 sets of Armor/Souls(you get a special soul called Doppelganger and then you can do this. You can define each set yourself.)
The touchscreen can be used to break through blocks in certain parts of the game after you get a special soul from a boss.

Those are the basics.

Another great thing about this being for the DS is the use of the touchscreen to defeat bosses. When you lower a bosses health to zero, a magic seal pops up on screen. You need to trace it in the correct pattern to finish the boss off. If you don't do it right, or fast enough, you have to fight the boss again.

ABDUR101
Oct 7, 2005, 10:22 AM
Damn, now I'm really considering it. You did'nt help the situation at all!

Hmm, oh, for the boss touch-screen stuff, is it a decent amount of time or is it almost annoyingly quick that you have to put it in? And how much of an "error" margin are you given?

Nevermind, just read the review.
http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/castlevania/655359p1.html

I am apalled, and must go make amends with my soul for not getting it sooner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2005-10-07 08:24 ]</font>

SubstanceD
Oct 7, 2005, 04:26 PM
I own Dawn Of Souls and I am currently playing through it.

It's a great game and I recommend it to any DS owners out there. However, I must say that I am not a fan having to use the Touch Screen to SEAL Souls. It feels like a gameplay feature that Konami just threw in there because they felt obligated by Nintendo to use the DS's touch screen. It's very annoying taking on bosses while holding the Stylus in your hand.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 8, 2005, 05:38 AM
That does sound annoying. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Heh, the first store I went to was sold out, surprisingly enough.

I'll go check out other stores today.

ABDUR101
Oct 9, 2005, 02:13 PM
Hah, just picked up a DS and C:DoS. Ah well. I'll hop into the game after abit, gonna let it charge while I go do some other things.

I'm a whore for 2D gaming, expecially side-scrolling adventures and RPG's. Money well-spent I say. =]

Kent
Oct 10, 2005, 12:19 AM
Katana-type weapons own. Heh.

Probably only because I don't have a really powerful knuckle or dagger yet.

Oh, and Skeleton Archer soul is your friend.

This game should last me until (and past) Gunstar Super Heroes, nyahaha~

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 10, 2005, 03:28 AM
On 2005-10-09 22:19, Kent wrote:
Katana-type weapons own. Heh.

Probably only because I don't have a really powerful knuckle or dagger yet.

This game should last me until (and past) Gunstar Super Heroes, nyahaha~

Oh yeah. Ditto @ Abdur as well.

Picked it up Saturday, Best buy wasn't sold out, uh 3 days after the release. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Using the "blunt(sword)" katana type sword/combat knife, depending on range/enemy range.

The only set back to the katana is the longer delay after the attack. So I'm rushing, jumping to attack, then attacking while landing(standing or ducking) to maximize the damage against each enemy.

Especially that Frankenstein. Thought he was slow enough then he started running full speed ahead across the length of the screen at me. I got all nervous and nearly died. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Finished 3 bosses so far. Need to play some more, and make note of those save rooms. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kent
Oct 10, 2005, 05:51 AM
Jump (more of a hop, really), attack just before landing, attack right after landing, L for backdash during recovery. Repeat as necessary.

Also, try spamming the Special Attack button with one while in front of an enemy. Higher-level katana have more range on their attacks. I'm currently using an Osafune, which has a good bit more range than the ones before it (Blunt Sword < Katana < Kotetsu < Masamune < Osafune).

And another thing, Killer Clown and Witch souls are pretty good. Killer Clown is a slashing attack that hits one enemy, but Witch is a light-based attack that seeks, and can hit multiple enemies. Basically a single Magic Missile (except light... Just get the soul and see what I mean).

Stan
Oct 10, 2005, 08:11 AM
I really love the quetzalcoatl(whatever), the big bone snake with a little soma on it's back http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif . I use one fast weapon set (katana, Gergoth, almaric sniper) and a power set (great axe, quetzalcoatl, mandragora).
I'm looking for creatures that can slip through mirrors, anybody know where to find them?

Madzozs
Oct 10, 2005, 10:41 AM
The boss, Paranoia, is located in the upper-left part of Demon Guest House. You will reach a hall with brown/pink blocks blocking the way. Break them using Axe Armor, Killer Clown, and Ukoback in succession. Then you'll reach a boss door. Go through, fight Mini-Paranoia and Paranoia. Seal Paranoia, and you'll get his soul, which lets you go through mirrors.

Eihwaz
Oct 10, 2005, 12:21 PM
This game is one of the main reasons that I want a DS over a PSP. I loved Aria of Sorrow, so naturally I can't freakin wait to play the sequal. I was a bit sad that they used generic anime-style art instead of the awesome detailed stuff Castlevania's been using since Symphony of the Night.

Oh well, as long as the game's fun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Deathscythealpha
Oct 10, 2005, 07:53 PM
Dawn of Sorrow gets a massive thumbs up from me. Played it to death over the past week trying to get everything and juts had a kick ass time doing so. I liked the return of many of the enemies from Symphony of the Night and the other enemies had some fantastic designs on them. Paranoias design is so simple but so effective. The final boss is a bit of a pain though, very extreme (damn those missile's he fires off).

Only thing I can find wrong with the game is a fault of my own; I cant get to the bottom left hand area of the castle! I have been around the castle so many times just trying to find a switch or an item that lets me through, but it still evades me. Wheres the Spike Armour from SOTN when you need it.

Otherwise, Dawn of Sorrow is one of the best excuses I could give someone to buy a DS at the minute.

Madzozs
Oct 10, 2005, 11:17 PM
If you are talking about the area where it is water and spikes, then a wall, then more water/spikes.

Use either the Bone Ark soul, or use the Puppet Master soul with the Skeleton Ape soul. Voila.

SubstanceD
Oct 11, 2005, 01:56 AM
On 2005-10-10 21:17, Madzozs wrote:
If you are talking about the area where it is water and spikes, then a wall, then more water/spikes.

Use either the Bone Ark soul, or use the Puppet Master soul with the Skeleton Ape soul. Voila.

Yeah.

I had to look this up on gamefaqs since it is't particularly obvious how we're supposed to make it pass the those spikes ( I spent 1/2 an hour hunting for a Skeleton soul last night jsut so that I could get over there ).

Nearly finished with the game. I've seen all of the endings except for the best one ( obviously ). I tried fighting Death last night but I gave up since I failed on 6 consequtive times to draw the 5th Seal ( and I was doing it right as well, maybe I was not fast enough although I wasgoing as fast as I could ). I will try and fight him again when I am not feeling sleepy.

DOS is a great game but I still stand by my arguement that the Sealing Souls thing is just a gimmick ( not to mention a pain in the ass ).

I am currently at Level 48 and my current set up is

A:

Flame Dragon/Witch
Bat Company
Golem

Osafune
Orlox's Suit
Mina's Talisman

B:

Zephyr/Witch
Gergoth/Flying Armour
Golem

Great Sword
Orlox's Suit
Mina's Talisman

Deathscythealpha
Oct 11, 2005, 06:33 AM

Hmm, better go hunting for a Bone Ark then. A bit of an abstract puzzle but ah well.

The 5th Seal was a pain at first, seems so awkward to draw at first. In the end i just did a quick circle (instead of going from point to point each time), drop down, up, down again and finished. And remember to stock up on potions, you will need loads for the next few boss fights.

SubstanceD
Oct 12, 2005, 01:52 PM
On 2005-10-11 04:33, Deathscythealpha wrote:

Hmm, better go hunting for a Bone Ark then. A bit of an abstract puzzle but ah well.

The 5th Seal was a pain at first, seems so awkward to draw at first. In the end i just did a quick circle (instead of going from point to point each time), drop down, up, down again and finished. And remember to stock up on potions, you will need loads for the next few boss fights.

Thanks for the tip. It is alot easier ( and faster ) to draw a circle instead of connecting the dots. I haven't had my re-match with Death yet but I have practiced drawing the Seal and my success ratio has gone way up.

Skett
Oct 12, 2005, 11:35 PM
Sounds like fun. I'd have this game in a second but all my money is going towards 360 Deluxe so I'll have to wait.