PDA

View Full Version : US plans for Nintendo DS Wi-Fi released - Nov. 14

Dek
Oct 9, 2005, 01:49 PM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/656/656195p1.html

So here is what we are looking at so far...

- Nintendo's Wi-Fi connection will start on November 14th in the US
- Animal Crossing: Wild World, Mario Kart DS, and Metroid Prime: Hunters are the first of the 1st party games that will take advantage of the Wi-Fi feature
- Tony Hawk's Sk8land will be the first of the 3rd party games that will take advantage of the Wi-Fi feature
- A USB adapter will be available for those who don't have a Wireless set-up of any sort, whether its a Wireless Router or a Wireless Access Point. Apparently, the USB adapter only works on Windows machines at the moment. No word yet on whether there will be drivers for other OSes

Discuss...

Fixed the title so that it wasn't misleading

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-10-09 11:52 ]</font>

Solstis
Oct 9, 2005, 01:54 PM
That's... cute. Functional. Nice, even.

Still not great for a hardcore online gamer like me. Hell, I think that XBOX Live still has nothing on the PC, and it probably never will.

Wyndham
Oct 9, 2005, 01:59 PM
if i dont get OSX support from nintendo soon im gonna go nuts.
im that annoyed. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

trypticon
Oct 9, 2005, 02:28 PM
Oh boy! Can't wait!

I'm not happy about Animal Crossing DS apparently only allowing you to play with people off your friend list. I have two friends with a DS. One of them doesn't have internet access, and the other one is so fricking cheap that, even with the online price being free, he would never buy into the games.

The one without internet access is the one on my friend list, thanks to Nintendogs, which the other friend refuses to purchase.

Mario Kart DS sounds like it's shaping up to be great though, and I can't wait to play it. Seems you can play with anyone on it since there is no text chat supported, which could make things lame, but meh. Some of those racers MIGHT end up on my friend list, good luck figuring out who the hell they are though.

FFIIID also sounds like it's shaping up nicely, although I would have rathered they had made the US FFII for the SNES on the DS. Looks like I'll have to get that for the GBA experience, which isn't a bad thing. It will give me another game to plug up that massive slot on the bottom of my DS so dust and crap won't get into it.

I really like the wireless USB device that Nintendo is making for people not on wireless networks. Looks good, looks small, and seems just as easily useable as the broadband and dial up adapters were for the GC, but even easier since you don't have to attach an external plug to that. I'm betting that the range of connectivity from this device will be the same as the range for DS to DS lan play, which is just fine.

I'm seeing a lot of text over a few articles there saying that Nintendo will be installing Nintendo WIFI spots. Does this rule out the possibility of using other Hotspot locations, such as the majority of the thousands of Starbucks locations, as connection places until Nintendo convinces them to allow an install of their own stuff there? I do wonder. At the same time, I see that Nintendo is busy setting up a bunch of WIFI connections at game shops in Japan to give people the opportunity to pop in their newly bought game, and get online with their friends right then and there. I don't see any evidence of this happening at the game shops in the US though, so that probably rules that out here, although I could also imagine them doing that here for the demonstration versions set up in the shops; the people on their friends list being other shop locations of their name.

It's all shaping up very nicely. I did notice though that Nintendo has cut their profits big time recently due to the Gamecube falling flat, and the DS pricedrop so it can compete more easily with the outrageously overpriced, incredibly overhyped, and easily damaged PSP. In case anybody is actually reading my message here, I see that EGM has an article about PSP vs DS this month in their magazine. I have been unable as of yet to pick this issue up. If anybody here has it, I wouldn't mind a rundown of the comparisons they featured, and which handheld won.

Otherwise, I am very excited about this article at IGN, and can't wait for this new option on the DS to open up. I read somewhere that we are seeing only like 30% of what the DS is capable of. I also read a bunch of things that were slated for the DS in the next year. I'm praying to god that Nintendo isn't like Sega, and that they will actually make these things available for their customers. The DS is an amazing system, and I really would like to see all of what it can do made available to the public.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2005-10-09 13:26 ]</font>

Skuda
Oct 9, 2005, 02:57 PM
I am so stoaked. I just got a wireless rouer a few weeks ago so this will be perfect! For some odd reason, I hope they make PSO for the DS. with ep 4 of course. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dek
Oct 9, 2005, 03:10 PM
On 2005-10-09 12:28, trypticon wrote:
Mario Kart DS sounds like it's shaping up to be great though, and I can't wait to play it. Seems you can play with anyone on it since there is no text chat supported, which could make things lame, but meh.
Look at the microphone under the touch screen http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'm seeing a lot of text over a few articles there saying that Nintendo will be installing Nintendo WIFI spots. Does this rule out the possibility of using other Hotspot locations, such as the majority of the thousands of Starbucks locations, as connection places until Nintendo convinces them to allow an install of their own stuff there? I do wonder. At the same time, I see that Nintendo is busy setting up a bunch of WIFI connections at game shops in Japan to give people the opportunity to pop in their newly bought game, and get online with their friends right then and there. I don't see any evidence of this happening at the game shops in the US though, so that probably rules that out here, although I could also imagine them doing that here for the demonstration versions set up in the shops; the people on their friends list being other shop locatoins of their name.
At the moment, the only thing I can think of is that, since Nintendo is preparing their own Hotspots, it should work with the current hotspots depending on which 802.11 the DS is using and which 802.11 the current hotspots use (my guess is 802.11b for the hotspots, obviously)

I'm praying to god that Nintendo isn't like Sega, and that they will actually make these things available for their customers. The DS is an amazing system, and I really would like to see all of what it can do made available to the public.

Knowing Nintendo, there is a very high chance that Nitendo will make such things available. However, I'm sure that, knowing Nintendo, it will come in the form of some accessory that is required for Game A, or even the console, if you want to feel comfortable about playing. (Remember the SP and the "no headphone jack" issue?)

Solstis
Oct 9, 2005, 05:31 PM
Well, considering that you can still access hotspots using the 802.11b protocol with a 802.11g adapter, it probably won't matter.

Unless they made a new one while I wasn't looking. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

(I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway. Think I read that in a Telecommunications magazine a... few years ago)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-10-09 15:32 ]</font>

Badger-sama
Oct 9, 2005, 06:10 PM
On 2005-10-09 15:31, Solstis wrote:
Well, considering that you can still access hotspots using the 802.11b protocol with a 802.11g adapter, it probably won't matter.

Unless they made a new one while I wasn't looking. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

(I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway. Think I read that in a Telecommunications magazine a... few years ago)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-10-09 15:32 ]</font>

More often than not (and in fact, I have yet to see one thing that wasn't), 802.11g ANYTHING is always retro-patible with 802.11b ANYTHING.

Sef
Oct 9, 2005, 08:34 PM
Guess I'll be asking for a DS this Christmas... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I planned on getting one before, but this just makes it better. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif Along with the Animal Crossing game. Loved it on the GC(for a while >_>)

I know another guy with a DS so that'll be pretty cool...

Skett
Oct 12, 2005, 11:39 PM
On 2005-10-09 13:10, Arthas_Zero wrote:

On 2005-10-09 12:28, trypticon wrote:
Mario Kart DS sounds like it's shaping up to be great though, and I can't wait to play it. Seems you can play with anyone on it since there is no text chat supported, which could make things lame, but meh.
Look at the microphone under the touch screen http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

No, Trypt is right. No online games on DS currently supports mic, which is a huge step back for those who use Xbox Live constantly. Hopefully Nintendo will get the idea quick and release mic support.