PDA

View Full Version : So, is being fat a legitimate handicap?

Uncle_bob
Oct 9, 2005, 09:04 PM
Uncle doesn't mean just 10 or 15 pounds overweight. He means when people get SO FUCKING HUGE that they think it means they're entitled to park in the handicap parking spaces in parking lots and things like that.

Uncle doesn't think it's a real handicap since there's something they can do about being so disgustingly massive. People with missing legs or permanent cripping injuries can't fix their problem.

FOAtHeart
Oct 9, 2005, 09:08 PM
I think once a person reaches the point of absolute fatness, like when they can't walk, they are probably think themselves at the point of no return and just kind of give up hope (regarding skinnyness).

And yes, if you can't walk (or are otherwise impaired by weight) then you are handicapped. :>

Uncle_bob
Oct 9, 2005, 09:14 PM
Yea, but it's still their fault for being a tub universe full of lard for being so fat. They had a chance to do something about it. And those "glandular" disseases occur in something like less than 1% of the population, so that's rarely an excuse they can use.

FOAtHeart
Oct 9, 2005, 09:18 PM
On 2005-10-09 19:14, Uncle_bob wrote:
Yea, but it's still their fault for being a tub universe full of lard for being so fat. They had a chance to do something about it. And those "glandular" disseases occur in something like less than 1% of the population, so that's rarely an excuse they can use.

That is like saying, man who trip when walking down the street and get both legs torn off by car shouldn't be called handicapped, because he should have been watching where he was stepping.

Regardless of how a person is impaired, or whether or not it was their fault, they are handicapped.

But that is my opinion.

Sef
Oct 9, 2005, 09:20 PM
If I were in charge, I'd wanna know why/how they became so fat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sef on 2005-10-09 19:21 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Oct 9, 2005, 09:22 PM
On 2005-10-09 19:20, Sef wrote:
If I were in charge, I'd wanna know why/how they became so fat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sef on 2005-10-09 19:21 ]</font>

Sitting on their asses watching re-runs of COPS while eating cake icing straight from the bucket all day.

Mind you that Uncle sometimes does this, but he goes out and you know...does physical activity so he doesn't turn into a blob.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2005-10-09 19:23 ]</font>

Sef
Oct 9, 2005, 09:28 PM
*gives himself a condition where he has to sit on his ass and do nothing*

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Obesity here I come!

Skorpius
Oct 9, 2005, 09:30 PM
Some people have a medical disorder that causes it.

In other cases, it's their own fault.

CupOfCoffee
Oct 9, 2005, 09:48 PM
I don't think you can really classify people as handicapped or not handicapped based on whether or not their problem was their own fault. People who've smoked for 50 years and have bad lung diseases are essentially at fault, but I'm sure there are still cases where they could get a set of handicapped plates because of it.

Uncle_bob
Oct 9, 2005, 10:01 PM
On 2005-10-09 19:48, CupOfCoffee wrote:
I don't think you can really classify people as handicapped or not handicapped based on whether or not their problem was their own fault.

Too late, I already have classified them as non-handicapped. Too bad I'm not a dictator.

People who've smoked for 50 years and have bad lung diseases are essentially at fault, but I'm sure there are still cases where they could get a set of handicapped plates because of it.

Just as bad as being massively overweight. The nutritional facts are on the food boxes just as the "THIS PRODUCT FUCKING GIVES YOU LUNG PROBLEMS" label is on cigs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2005-10-09 20:02 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
Oct 9, 2005, 10:12 PM
True, but my point was mostly that there is a line to be drawn. Exactly how at fault are people with various problems which prevent them from taking part in normal everyday activies like walking across a parking lot? I guess it's going to come down to opinion, but you know. Just saying.

Hey, weren't you also that guy who hated HUmars? You must really hate the fat ones! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 9, 2005, 10:16 PM
I honestly can't understand how people can allow themselves to get that big, anyway. I mean, when the 44" waist size doesn't fit any more, that should be a wake up call.

Furthermore, if you're large enough that walking from the back of the parking lot at your local Wal-Mart is going to be a strain for you, then perhaps you shouldn't be doing the shopping at Wal-Mart.

I believe that handicapped stalls are present to make things easier for people who have options to make it reasonably possible for them to get around. Debilitatingly large people don't really have those sorts of options, and quite honestly, the extra two hundred foot walk is probably the sort of thing that they should've been doing three hundred pounds ago.

For the record, I may be chubby myself, but it sure as hell doesn't stop me from playing DDR.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2005-10-09 20:17 ]</font>

Qrrrbrbirbel
Oct 9, 2005, 10:23 PM
On 2005-10-09 20:16, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

For the record, I may be chubby myself, but it sure as hell doesn't stop me from playing DDR.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2005-10-09 20:17 ]</font>

You are my hero

Uncle_bob
Oct 10, 2005, 07:56 PM
Meira, let's make babies. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Monomate
Oct 10, 2005, 08:01 PM
y'know what pisses me off...

how the government supplies morbidly obese people with things like handicapped tags and those damn power scooters and stuff...

it's like being rewarded for being fat beyond all reason...

they should be required to park in the very back of the parking lot...help those fat bastards lose weight...

(no offense to any of you overweight peoples, but I'd certainly hope that none of you weigh more than 400 pounds, and if so, lots and lots of offense to you!)

Badger-sama
Oct 10, 2005, 08:12 PM
On 2005-10-10 18:01, Monomate wrote:
y'know what pisses me off...

how the government supplies morbidly obese people with things like handicapped tags and those damn power scooters and stuff...

it's like being rewarded for being fat beyond all reason...

they should be required to park in the very back of the parking lot...help those fat bastards lose weight...

(no offense to any of you overweight peoples, but I'd certainly hope that none of you weigh more than 400 pounds, and if so, lots and lots of offense to you!)

I have legitimate handicaps (severe back problems) but since I'm overweight, everyone simply assumes that's why I can't stand for longer than a few hours before dying from pain. I had the back problems long before the fat, and granted, being heavy probably isn't helping matters, but it's not why I experience the pain. It's not always a cut and dry situation.

TheOneHero
Oct 10, 2005, 08:19 PM
What really pisses me off is that people say McDonald's makes them fat.

You know the movie 'Super Size Me'? Yeah, all that guy did was eat only McDonald's for each meal of the day, for 30 days.

If that's all you eat and don't exercise then of course you're gonna get fat!

It's people that blame a fast food place for being overweight who should be made handicapped. Because of them I no longer have a Super Size meal. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Blitzkommando
Oct 10, 2005, 08:36 PM
Being morbidly obese isn't a handycap. It is a sign that you have crossed the point of no return: Your heart is going to fail you. Not if, when is the question. The main problem is diets though. When people eat nothing but a very select few items, all of which have glutonous ammounts of fats, sugars, and salts, they are obviously going to gain weight. There are so many types of low fat, low sugar, low sodium foods that have plenty of flavor and variety I cannot fathom eating just those foods that are not. I realize that there are people who see a mushroom, or artichoke, or any fruit or vegetable and go "EWWW DAT'S GWOSE!" like some spoiled five year old. I have a message for them: GROW UP OR YOU WILL CUT YOUR PRECIOUS PIZZA GORGING LIFE MANY YEARS SHORT.

Seriously, is it that tough to eat those little 'green things' as my uncle calls them? Or how about, OMGOSH, cutting back on those sodas? I realize that there will be foods you cannot stand to eat, I have them too, but there are so many, MANY types of food how can you possibly have tried them all? Who cares what it looks like? It's going to be in your stomach in 5 minutes so does it matter? It all looks the same coming out so why care about what it looks like going in?

TheOneHero
Oct 10, 2005, 09:59 PM
On 2005-10-10 18:36, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:Who cares what it looks like? It's going to be in your stomach in 5 minutes so does it matter? It all looks the same coming out so why care about what it looks like going in?

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I love you Blitz.

Alielle
Oct 11, 2005, 04:44 AM
We have a surplus of food in this country, but it's amazing to me how much of it is nutritionally worthless. Stop eating so much crap, ignorant, misinformed masses!

People need to eat some damned vegetables.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 11, 2005, 05:13 AM
I work in fast food.

We sell food for cheap and lots of it.

Some people can't handle this idea well, so they splurge on the food and the calories pertaining to those items they order.

Yeah, the joke about people ordering 1,000's of calories in a plate then getting the diet soda to "watch their weight," we've all heard it. Its much more fun seeing it firsthand everyday.
-

Some lady decided to yell at our poor cashier girl when the lady felt she didn't get enough food in her order, when we gave plenty- the required order, and the oh 1,200 or so calories total in it wasn't enough.

For those people you really want to punch them in the face, tell them to shut up, and that they're too big to even complain about not getting "enough" food.

Too bad that makes you a bastard/bitch, or else we'd all be doing it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
-

Bill Clinton is trying to be a figure head to stop childhood obesity. using the quote from the United Negro College Fund: "A mind is a terrible thing to waste," as an example to use pertaining to children who are growing up with obesity and health/heart problems.

Schools are cutting back on physical education programs. Vending machines in schools with sugary things help raise money. Fast food restaurants don't offer enough low calorie/low sodium alternatives. Etc. are cited as major problems.

But if people are unwilling to change, then of course change will not happen.

Kinda sad when you see a family come in though, parents pretty big, child may grow to that size later in life learning from their parents that this is acceptable/normal behavior.

And also those Maury/daytime TV talk shows with obese babies. "2 years old, 100+ lbs!" and such. "Giving them food to make them stop crying, I don't know any other way to stop them, McDonalds 3 times a day."

Solstis
Oct 11, 2005, 10:36 AM
So, let's just rag on fat people without exploring why they became fat in the first place.

OMGLOL Society.

Yeah, same for cigarretes. But, hey, the bandwagon still has some more seats, anyone else want in?

(Yes, of course it's probably their fault for caving in to the influence of the media. But, really, I have an addictive personality, and I KNOW that I could be that heavy if I tr... er, didn't try)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-10-11 09:34 ]</font>

Puppet_Papaya
Oct 11, 2005, 10:43 AM
If people get to the point where they're too fat to even walk, well I say that's their problem and they should have to deal with it. If we accomodate to morbidly obese people, we're only encouraging it. End of story.

I love DDR.

Sagasu
Oct 11, 2005, 11:40 AM
Excuses suck. As long as you can keep up with everyone else it deosnt matter.

But if you start to drag things down then you can expect to be pushed out of the way rather than made an exception for. Its just rather silly to expect anything more than that from society

Scrub
Oct 12, 2005, 05:57 AM
There's plenty of overweight people who still go out and enjoy playing sports and the like. :3 The people who say that they are too fat to move are just bullshitting because they do not WANT to. So no, it is not a legitimate handicap~

PJ
Oct 12, 2005, 07:29 AM
On 2005-10-11 03:13, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
And also those Maury/daytime TV talk shows with obese babies. "2 years old, 100+ lbs!" and such. "Giving them food to make them stop crying, I don't know any other way to stop them, McDonalds 3 times a day."

It's slightly off topic, but when I actually saw an Episode of Maury with babies that weighed around my weight, I become seriously scared >_>;

The parents should notice when they see their kids/babies are starting to get fat, but I think they figure they'd have to just stop giving them food altogether, instead of just giving them less.

Eihwaz
Oct 12, 2005, 12:16 PM
PJ, you should know better than to watch daytime TV. Maury Povich is quite a bit further down the toilet than even Jerry Springer. >_>;

PJ
Oct 12, 2005, 03:04 PM
On 2005-10-12 10:16, Eihwaz wrote:
PJ, you should know better than to watch daytime TV. Maury Povich is quite a bit further down the toilet than even Jerry Springer. >_>;

Even I get sick somedays too, mmk? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Blitzkommando
Oct 12, 2005, 04:10 PM
Wow, and out of FKL we go~

Anyway, I suppose what is said is correct. In that, some people are very accepting of mass propoganda, aka television and movies. Oddly enough, they gorge on food instead of doing the whole "bulemia thing" and keep their weight at very unhealthy levels. I suppose they just give up on trying to keep in shape and lose weight and just 'claim to accept the fact.' The thing is, it isn't a fact. The problem is too many people don't have the will to hunker down and exercise and eat properly.

Anyone here have family that farms or did farm? Farmers have absolutely horrible diets, but they are often some of the best in shape. This is because the diets are 'bad' for Joe Schmoe, but for Farmer Joe the diet is just the right ammount of nutrition. So, I suppose, while diet is part of the problem, so is the willingness to exercise and, I know this is an awful four letter word: work.

Bungee950
Oct 12, 2005, 04:13 PM

I don't thaink thats too nice.... I have an overweight friend And he did more situps than I could (me weighing roughly 90 pounds) Although, some people are disgustingly obese, let's not make generalizations.

Uncle_bob
Oct 13, 2005, 03:16 PM
On 2005-10-12 14:13, Bungee950 wrote:

I don't thaink thats too nice.... I have an overweight friend And he did more situps than I could (me weighing roughly 90 pounds) Although, some people are disgustingly obese, let's not make generalizations.

Lot's of things aren't nice. Just because he did a lot of sit-ups doesn't mean he's gonna drop a bunch of weight suddenly. It takes time, different excercises, a proper diet, and some fucking motivation to lose weight.

Bungee950
Oct 13, 2005, 05:49 PM
On 2005-10-13 13:16, Uncle_bob wrote:

Lot's of things aren't nice. Just because he did a lot of sit-ups doesn't mean he's gonna drop a bunch of weight suddenly. It takes time, different excercises, a proper diet, and some fucking motivation to lose weight.

oho, j00 outdebates me.

Solstis
Oct 13, 2005, 05:57 PM
On 2005-10-13 13:16, Uncle_bob wrote:

You have the most obnoxious way of going about things as possible, but you're right on this one. Too bad that anyone that would agree with you probably doesn't need to lose weight, pretty much nullifying the rant. Unless you just wanted to blow some steam. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

About the weight though, it really is all about motivation. I have to get all nice and self-pitying before I'm motivated to do anything about myself. Either that, or I fall into a pit of self-loathing. Tricky, that.

KaFKa
Oct 14, 2005, 10:06 PM
there are reasons some people are obese.

A good friend of mine got hit by two cars, dragged for almost 200 feet, and was clinically dead for twenty minutes. all when he was about 8. So he is physically unable to do much of anything. Even through all that he still eats healthy and does his best to exercise to some degree.

On the other end, theres fat dude #235325 that just doesent want to try.

Two completely different situations. The first warranting a handicap, the second not.

just my two cents.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaFKa on 2005-10-14 20:08 ]</font>