PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Video Games

Split
Oct 10, 2005, 10:50 AM
I'm going to Japan soon, and I was wondering if anyone knows any good Japanese only Gamecube games that I could buy. I don't really care much about story since I don't know Japanese enough to understand it anyway http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif . Just something fun to play, maybe like an action rpg or something like that.

Rei-San
Oct 12, 2005, 05:35 PM
Fire Emblem.

Wait, Can you put Japanese games in Amarican systems or are you using a Japanese System.

Mowse
Oct 17, 2005, 05:59 PM
I think you would need some kind of extra progam in order to run imported games on a Gamecube system.

I heard of one called "freeloader" once.

Oni140
Oct 17, 2005, 06:24 PM
O.O You're going to Japan? LUCKY!!

Anyway I believe that you need a Japanese Gamecube to play the games purchased from Japan. I'm not so sure the games in America can be played on a Japanese Gamecube...

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 17, 2005, 07:39 PM
You can get around region encoding with a Freeloader disc from Datel. This is how many of us were able to play Episode III before it was released here, and also how it was discovered (much to our chagrin) that you can't change your language settings in Episode III.

Alternatively, if you're crazy, or at least really know what you're doing, you can take your GameCube apart and install a kit that'll put a switch on the back, converting the GameCube back and forth between US and JP. If I remember correctly, there's only one jumper's difference between the two consoles, so it's really not a difficult task, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Still, probably better just to use the Freeloader.

Zelutos
Oct 17, 2005, 08:08 PM
get the Naruto game >.>

Dek
Oct 17, 2005, 08:16 PM
On 2005-10-12 15:35, RayMaster wrote:
Fire Emblem.

Wait, Can you put Japanese games in Amarican systems or are you using a Japanese System.

Nope. The Gamecube doesn't have the region encoding technology that the Gameboy Advance/older consoles does/do when it comes to playing Japanese games.

Mostly because Gamecube is a disc console rather than a catridge console.

EDIT: Meira just reminded me what the word was...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-10-17 18:17 ]</font>

Rei-San
Oct 17, 2005, 08:27 PM
So you can play japanese games on the GBA?

Dek
Oct 17, 2005, 09:25 PM
On 2005-10-17 18:27, RayMaster wrote:
So you can play japanese games on the GBA?

Correct. If I recall correctly, a GBA has region encoding, which (long story short) allows you to play imported GBA games from other countries onto your GBA. IIRC, the reason Nintendo did this was because they wanted their customers make the most out of their portable/"anywhere you go" system.

However, I have yet to hear (or figure out) if the DS has region encoding as well.

Dek
Oct 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
EDIT: Server messed up on me, so my post appeared twice

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arthas_Zero on 2005-10-17 19:27 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Oct 17, 2005, 10:18 PM
I can play Japanese DS games perfectly fine on my US bought DS. Picked up a couple of games upon travelling to Japan this past August, in particular the Naruto RPG and Jump Superstars.

If you've been looking for a PS2 Rez, check around for one there as well. Managed to get one fairly cheap.

As for GC, you may find some things that interest you. Not sure if you're into Mr. Driller, but we picked up a 4 player version for the GC named Driller Spirits. Hadn't noticed this on the US shores, so grabbed it.

Also, where around in Japan are you travelling to?
If Tokyo or around there, check out Nakano Broadway. Found a few stores in there that sold a WIDE variety of games, including older titles like Shining Force and Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis (if anything, decent for collecting).

By the way, be on the lookout for places that may sell older games if you want to collect some. One store I went to, managed to grab a Super Mario RPG cart for about $8 USD, and a Chrono Trigger cart for about $3 USD. Yes, $3.

rena-ko
Oct 18, 2005, 06:29 PM
akihabara sells electronics and media for around 10% less than anywhere else. besides this, look for second hand shops. you get very cheap stuff there - mostly in great quality.

try to track down the PS2 REZ special pack and sell it big over here http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

and ... gameboys dont have any sort of region code since back then it wasnt necessary (no different signal standards) and it would have been to expensive. good to hear they kept that up to now.

opaopajr
Oct 18, 2005, 07:16 PM
hit an arcade and smoke citrus cigs and down some asahi beer from a vending machine for me, k? nothing like an arcade where you can drink and smoke, on the 3rd floor, surrounded in dim lighting... ahh, l'amour nippon.

oh, and have a wendy's curry burger for me. mmm, curry burger...

Rei-San
Oct 18, 2005, 07:49 PM
If you can Play japanese DS games. I fond a cool japanese DS game. Jump superstars. Has anyone herd of it? It's a game in which Shonen Jump characters come together and duke it out. What better than to have Bobobo use his nose hair to total elite ninja Sasuke. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Split
Oct 18, 2005, 08:42 PM
On 2005-10-18 17:16, opaopajr wrote:
hit an arcade and smoke citrus cigs and down some asahi beer from a vending machine for me, k? nothing like an arcade where you can drink and smoke, on the 3rd floor, surrounded in dim lighting... ahh, l'amour nippon.

yeah....I'm 14. And leaving TOMORROW!!

Bungee950
Oct 19, 2005, 02:40 PM
On 2005-10-17 18:08, Zelutos wrote:
get the Naruto game >.>

I concur. It's reeeeeeeeeeeally fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bungee950 on 2005-10-19 12:41 ]</font>

opaopajr
Oct 19, 2005, 11:41 PM
On 2005-10-18 18:42, Split wrote:

On 2005-10-18 17:16, opaopajr wrote:

yeah....I'm 14. And leaving TOMORROW!!

and the problem here is?... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_hamster.gif
guess you haven't heard of the lax rules in japan. cigs and beer are in vending machines, and for the most part they don't care. technically 20yrs old to drink, but they so don't care. and smoking is like 20 too but once again they don't care at all. culturally more like europe in terms of drinking and smoking.

but, it's all good. don't do anything you don't want.

though they do card you for the curry burgers...

SuperDK
Oct 25, 2005, 05:08 PM
Ouendan for the DS if you have one. It's like the best DS game. If you like J-rock or J-pop then Ouendan is for you. You also have to be good at playing music games, because thats what this game is. It is great. Tell all of your japanese friends about it. Maybe iNiS will make a sequel.

shinobu_seta
Oct 25, 2005, 09:54 PM
If you like Sonic, pick up a japanese copy of Sonic Gems collection. You'll get everything the english version has, plus more artwork, bonanza bros. and all three streets of rage games.