PDA

View Full Version : Magicbox: PSU release on 12/29

Dark_Heal_v2
Oct 11, 2005, 10:50 PM
According to Magicbox
http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

- UNCONFIRMED: Sega's PS2 RPG Phantasy Star Universe will be released in Japan on December 29, according to online shops, Sega has yet announced an official date.

Kent
Oct 11, 2005, 10:55 PM
It was supposed to come out sometime at the end of this year in Japan, so that's most likely close.

Rion772
Oct 12, 2005, 05:03 AM
So what's this mean? were getting the game 1 month early?

omegabuild
Oct 12, 2005, 11:03 AM
thats teh release date for japan, but we ve seen no propganda from teh company offically stating it. However even if it comes out in dec for jp, theres no guarantee we will get it in early, or even on time

PhruitBaskit
Oct 12, 2005, 12:42 PM
Why can't the English version come out the same time as the Japanese version!?! I just think it's stupid!

Kupi
Oct 12, 2005, 01:55 PM
On 2005-10-12 10:42, PhruitBaskit wrote:
Why can't the English version come out the same time as the Japanese version!?! I just think it's stupid!

Sega is a Japanese company releasing to their primary audience. They want their game to be the best it can possibly be, so they're going to spend every second they can making it better before they hit their release date. Once the game is finished and polished, then and only then will they begin work on the translation and localization for their secondary audiences, hence the asyncronous release dates. That's the way it works for practically every game that gets translated in either direction.

SubstanceD
Oct 12, 2005, 02:25 PM

You should try living in Europe. Think about how bad we have it. We're probably going to have to wait an extra 2-6 months from the US release before PSU is realeased over here. It's especially frustrating when you live in a country where everyone speaks English because the old exscuse about translating the text just does not cut it.

Rion772
Oct 12, 2005, 07:03 PM
Try living in Australia, I think their going to get it last. Also I hope it comes out later(ish), by that I mean I really love it and I want to play it A.S.A.P. but my moms tight on money so broadband isn't an option until mid to late january.

OdinTyler
Oct 13, 2005, 12:20 AM
On 2005-10-12 11:55, Kupi wrote:

Sega is a Japanese company releasing to their primary audience. They want their game to be the best it can possibly be, so they're going to spend every second they can making it better before they hit their release date. Once the game is finished and polished, then and only then will they begin work on the translation and localization for their secondary audiences, hence the asyncronous release dates. That's the way it works for practically every game that gets translated in either direction.

Sega is a Japanese company releasing to their NATIVE audience. The PRIMARY audience isnt Japan. Its everywhere else: the US, Europe, etc. Generally, a good portion of players (rpgs & otherwise) take to a game, have their fun, & move on. More & more non Japanese RPG fans can be found all over the world & the fact is we keep a good game going long after 'pop culture' has moved on to other things. We kinda have to after we get games, cards, cartoons, etc much later.
Translations dont take as long as they used to. Its sad that something even as fun as video games can become so political. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif There are some great developers out there that could just as easily do a translation, in less time, & get us the products we're so desperately waiting for. I know of one such developer that used to be on Sega's side. How I miss them. Even if we had to wait a bit, it would most assuredly be worth the wait & I doubt highly that there would be more in game content in one country than another.
I remember reading once how when translating for Europe was predominantly issued in both English & Spanish. Thats kinda not right considering how many multitudes of languages there are out there. We dont hear too much out of company divisions in other countries. I can only imagine that such developers would be just as annoyed as the US ones. The problem with translations is that the content isnt really 'translated.' Language is changed to a readable form by a certain country but when content is altered, its more like 'transfigured' & I can speak for many a player when I say 'thats not what we're paying for.'
I can only hope that one day companies will get smart & create multi-lingual games & release them in various countries simultaneously. Why not just have test markets in major cities in different countries? A main city or 2 in Japan, the US, a couple in Europe/Australia. It would work wonders. I understand most games originate in Japan & for that reason, there should be a way to contact/support our respective countries' developers. Let them know the games we want to see & then they can pick up the distribution rights to a game & thus, get it to us faster. Just my thoughts as a long time gamer...

Dark_Heal_v2
Oct 13, 2005, 02:20 AM
Actually Sonic Team themselves have been pretty keen on keeping the same release dates for their games; we could see that from the Sonic series.

But I think for games like PSU which has a story and is pretty language intensive would take some time for translation. After all, the people making the game are mainly Japanese and they're not as great in English. Probably they'll need to hire another group of folks to work on translating the game only after they had completed the JP version. Which would take some time.

zofia
Oct 13, 2005, 08:25 AM
Does anyone know (or has anyone even heard rumors) about whether or not PSU will be import friendly?

Back on Gamecube all we had to do was have our GC's modded (for about $30). They put a red button on the GC. When you press it the GC acts like a Japanese Gamecube, when you press it again it acts like an American Gamecube. That plus the fact GC PSO JP had an option to switch from 100% Japanese to 100% English made it 100% import friendly.

Anyone have any idea if Phantasy Star Universe will be like that?

VioletSkye
Oct 13, 2005, 09:26 AM
On 2005-10-13 06:25, zofia wrote:
Does anyone know (or has anyone even heard rumors) about whether or not PSU will be import friendly?

Back on Gamecube all we had to do was have our GC's modded (for about $30). They put a red button on the GC. When you press it the GC acts like a Japanese Gamecube, when you press it again it acts like an American Gamecube. That plus the fact GC PSO JP had an option to switch from 100% Japanese to 100% English made it 100% import friendly.

Anyone have any idea if Phantasy Star Universe will be like that?

why mod your system when you can just buy freeloader and play any game from any region for only $20?

zofia
Oct 13, 2005, 09:36 AM
Oh! I've never used Freeloader before.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks, VioletSkye.

OdinTyler
Oct 13, 2005, 10:42 AM
I didnt know the GC could get modded like that! Ive heard how you have to have chips or boards installed in your system to do such things. Also, I remember the days where you had to buy a converter just to play Japanese games. I bought 1 such one & only managed to buy ONE Jp Saturn game, a fighting game. I think if I could play more import games on a certain system, that would be great. An exception would have to be an rpg as I cant read kanji. LOL If I had a red button to push tho...

RoninJoku
Oct 13, 2005, 11:17 AM
So soon... and we still don't know if PC and PS2 servers will be compatible... -_-#

Rion772
Oct 13, 2005, 11:31 AM
Those damn servers better be linked, I think I have friends that will play on PC while I'll play on PS2.

OdinTyler
Oct 13, 2005, 12:07 PM
If youre gonna be on PS2, Rion, wanna group up? My plan is to be on PSU from day 1 (God willing). I wont touch offline mode til the server goes down or something like that. Im gonna rush home, get my character created just the way I want & Im gonna wanna start lvling up. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

omegabuild
Oct 13, 2005, 12:17 PM
honestly i kind of hope they wont be, PS2 limits the potential of PSU, conversly i want jp compatibility, he h well it probably will occur teh opposite way

PhruitBaskit
Oct 13, 2005, 12:20 PM
On 2005-10-13 09:17, RurouniJoku wrote:
So soon... and we still don't know if PC and PS2 servers will be compatible... -_-#

That's one thing that's killing me too! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Sizzors
Oct 13, 2005, 12:31 PM
On 2005-10-13 10:20, PhruitBaskit wrote:

On 2005-10-13 09:17, RurouniJoku wrote:

That's one thing that's killing me too! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I wish, but I think the chances of that happening are the same as being able to check E-mail on the new XBl.

Meaning...pretty good 0_o

Alisha
Oct 13, 2005, 01:02 PM
On 2005-10-13 07:36, zofia wrote:
Oh! I've never used Freeloader before.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks, VioletSkye.

if psu doesnt have its own isp options that could be a problem since im sure the us and jp adaptor uses different saves

PhotonCat
Oct 13, 2005, 01:45 PM
I hope they get the JP and EN versions of the game out at the same time or a very small gap between in time.
I think they are releasing the PC versions earlier thou.
I wouldn't be surprised if they release the PC ver. here earlier then in JP and the PS2 ver. later.
PC games aren't very big in Japan.

At least give the JP ver. the option of choosing EN text.
Cause if they only give an EN-Dub option in the US ver. I am totally NOT playing the Story-mode.

As for the servers, I hope they separate the EN/JP and PC/PS2 players.
If you ever played FF11, you would understand.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 13, 2005, 02:55 PM
PC games are always region free. go that way.

omegabuild
Oct 13, 2005, 03:39 PM
region free? what do you mean?
Psobb is seperated.
As far as it coming out here first, there is 0 chance of that, not only has the propganda by teh company said winter 2005 for jp and 2006 for NA, but this is a JP company, they wont bring it out first here, no chance of that. simult is highly unliekly, they have barely promoted this game in US look at jp site vs american site.
i played ffxi, and i dont see much point in seperating language servers, i met some cool jp people, and it assured i wouldnt get all the updates 3 years after the jp do like in psobb and other psos.

Blitzkommando
Oct 13, 2005, 08:19 PM
Any Windows program designed for a specific version of Windows, for example XP, can run on any other Windows XP computer. It doesn't matter what the language settings are. Those are simply settings that can very easily be changed. Thus, PSOBB and eventually PSU, are region free. And, even if it is released on a region specific DVD that is also easily fixed, fully legally to boot.

Getintothegame
Oct 13, 2005, 08:54 PM
Yes, kinda like how imported games for Consoles need a boot disc to play them, like imported Episode 3. PC doesn't have a reigon, as the above posters said.

omegabuild
Oct 13, 2005, 09:25 PM
i see what you mean, but thier are other ways to block stuff if they want to, they can block ips from foreign areas, i believe thats what IRO did at one time. I dont think they d bother but its possible. But i think teh real issue for importers would be, if they keep teh jp and eng servers seperate, then getting the import may mean you have to start again and buy a whole new game.

PhruitBaskit
Oct 14, 2005, 12:05 PM
On 2005-10-12 22:20, OdinTyler wrote:

On 2005-10-12 11:55, Kupi wrote:

Sega is a Japanese company releasing to their NATIVE audience. The PRIMARY audience isnt Japan. Its everywhere else: the US, Europe, etc. Generally, a good portion of players (rpgs & otherwise) take to a game, have their fun, & move on. More & more non Japanese RPG fans can be found all over the world & the fact is we keep a good game going long after 'pop culture' has moved on to other things. We kinda have to after we get games, cards, cartoons, etc much later.
Translations dont take as long as they used to. Its sad that something even as fun as video games can become so political. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif There are some great developers out there that could just as easily do a translation, in less time, & get us the products we're so desperately waiting for. I know of one such developer that used to be on Sega's side. How I miss them. Even if we had to wait a bit, it would most assuredly be worth the wait & I doubt highly that there would be more in game content in one country than another.
I remember reading once how when translating for Europe was predominantly issued in both English & Spanish. Thats kinda not right considering how many multitudes of languages there are out there. We dont hear too much out of company divisions in other countries. I can only imagine that such developers would be just as annoyed as the US ones. The problem with translations is that the content isnt really 'translated.' Language is changed to a readable form by a certain country but when content is altered, its more like 'transfigured' & I can speak for many a player when I say 'thats not what we're paying for.'
I can only hope that one day companies will get smart & create multi-lingual games & release them in various countries simultaneously. Why not just have test markets in major cities in different countries? A main city or 2 in Japan, the US, a couple in Europe/Australia. It would work wonders. I understand most games originate in Japan & for that reason, there should be a way to contact/support our respective countries' developers. Let them know the games we want to see & then they can pick up the distribution rights to a game & thus, get it to us faster. Just my thoughts as a long time gamer...

Exactly what I was saying! There are more people in America and Europe that like PSU than there are in just Japan. And all those people are just as anxious to get PSU as the people in Japan. The bastards at ST aren't releasing to their primary audience, they're releasing it to their home audience.