PDA

View Full Version : GC: Is it possible to connect through a laptop?

BlowfishSushi
Oct 13, 2005, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone!

I've given up trying to configure the Linksys Wireless-B Gaming Adapter because our wireless network is security-enabled.

So I thought since my laptop gets the wireless internet that it might be possible to go online by connecting cables between the BBA and the laptop. After doing this is it suppose to work right away or do I have to run wizard or configure some settings?
If so please let me know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

VioletSkye
Oct 14, 2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, you can use ICS (internet Connection Sharing) using a crossover (patch) cable going from your Laptop to your BBA. I'm on my way out so I won't cover it in depth since there is a section on it in the Sticky:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37273&forum=3&90

Also you can easily Google it and find better instructions (its a piece of cake really.) All of this seems unnecessary though. You can get the Linksys Wireless-B Gaming Adapter onto a secured network. Are you using WEP or WPA?

watashiwa
Oct 14, 2005, 03:36 PM
Actually, this might cause a problem if you enable ICS on that laptop.

When you enable ICS, you also enable a DHCP server as well as a DNS server on it.

If your wireless network is giving out 192.168.*.* based addresses, you'll probably have to reconfigure it to give out a different range. Like 172.16.*.*

Reason being is you can't have two DHCP servers on your network that give out the same range of addresses. If you have other computers on the network, they could start all ICSing through your laptop because of the new DHCP server or other stupid network problems could occur because of this. =P

It really might be better to just try to get that gaming adapter working or run a long cable from your Gamecube to a hub or something lol.

VioletSkye
Oct 14, 2005, 03:45 PM
I thought about that but Linksys does not use the default ICS IP of 192.168.0.1 in its range, so he shouldn't have any issues. The only major router manufacturer I know of that uses 192.168.0.1 is Netgear. All he has to do is setup a bridge.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-10-14 13:48 ]</font>

watashiwa
Oct 14, 2005, 03:48 PM
Hehe, he never said what type of router he had. He only said that he had a Linksys Wireless Gaming Adaptor for his console.

I was just playing it safe.

VioletSkye
Oct 14, 2005, 05:45 PM
On 2005-10-14 13:48, watashiwa wrote:
Hehe, he never said what type of router he had. He only said that he had a Linksys Wireless Gaming Adaptor for his console.

I was just playing it safe.

Heh, I thought about that too afterwards, that the router itself may not be Linksys lol. Oh well, check the router configuration pages and if 192.168.0.1 doesn't fall within the default router's range then you're good to go (without having to change anything.) I do think getting the Gaming Adaptor setup on the secured network is by far the best route however.

BlowfishSushi
Oct 14, 2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I am using a Linksys Wireless Router. Sounds like the laptop would cause more trouble. The thing is I've been messing with the gaming adapter for the past 3 weeks can't seem to get it to work. It is WEP enabled by the way.

When configuring the adapter should I set the IP address manually( if so which one) or set it to detect automatically?

And when I configure the PSO network settings I tried every IP address that was mentioned in that sticky. From 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.105. And also from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5. But still I get the same error 102 message. I don't know if the problem is the adapter or the way I configured the PSO network settings.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlowfishSushi on 2005-10-14 18:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlowfishSushi on 2005-10-14 18:42 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Oct 14, 2005, 08:56 PM
On 2005-10-14 18:32, BlowfishSushi wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

I am using a Linksys Wireless Router. Sounds like the laptop would cause more trouble. The thing is I've been messing with the gaming adapter for the past 3 weeks can't seem to get it to work. It is WEP enabled by the way.

When configuring the adapter should I set the IP address manually( if so which one) or set it to detect automatically?

And when I configure the PSO network settings I tried every IP address that was mentioned in that sticky. From 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.105. But still I get the same error 102 message. I don't know if the problem is the adapter or the way I configured the PSO network settings.

The router will assign an IP to the Adaptor (provided DHCP is enabled, which it will be by default) so leave it on detect automatically. Make sure that you are using the correct key for the WEP setting (either 64-bit or 128-bit.) For PSO Network options, leave everything to automatic.

Are you using the Setup Wizard (recommended for WEP enabled networks?)

Also, you may need to powercycle the router in order to get it to recognize the game adaptor and/or BBA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-10-14 18:58 ]</font>