PDA

View Full Version : My impressions of teh game hands on

omegabuild
Oct 14, 2005, 08:18 PM
Ok, so i went out to a digital convention, mostly to get a hands on time with psu, hoping to unlock some of the mysteries.
Soo well ill begin with my conclusion, welp it was lackluster. It didnt suck, but it didnt particularly seem coooool either. There was a sort of pso feeling to it, A feeling that i had done this before. Of course this was a demo, much funtionality was missing, but ill get to that later.
That being said what was it like? well notably there were 2 main action buttons. for ps2 these were Square and triangle. square was labeled attack, and triangle had various names depending on teh weapon. it seemed thsi was the customizable aspect to your weapons, having it be named implies it can be changed. sword was called shield break, so maybe these type of attacks can also have properties. circle jumped to a weapon menu that had preset weapon choices, saber/gun dagger/gun, sword, rod. R1 allowed one to use the gun/(otherhand?). I was unable to get first person mode, dont know if handgun has this option, or possibly i didnt know how to do it. another notable thing about guns, apparenbtly they have bullets, and can run out of them. as far as rod, it had two techniques instead of attacks. resta and gifoie. honestly i had trouble locating my mp or tp, id be inclined to think it didnt exist, but one guy dropped a monofluid. the technique was like an attack, and it isnt instant, you can get hit before you officially cast and cast nothing.
the longest chain attack i got was 6 i think with sword.
Well it was ok, nothing super beyond and above pso, but keep in mind i didnt have acess to a start menu, i couldnt choose directly what to EQ except preset combos. So there could be a lot missing. thats my report anyhow take it as you may

Dre_o
Oct 14, 2005, 08:29 PM
Oh god, I certinly hope it was just that, a DEMO.

But nice work with the recon.

EJ
Oct 14, 2005, 08:33 PM
You forgot one thing that the NPC actually help you and don't die that quickly.

I had no clue how to turn to first person view with the gun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Oh yea please use space between a few sentence for easy reading.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2005-10-14 18:35 ]</font>

_Tek_
Oct 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
I think the reason it seems lackluster is you play pso so long, that any reincarnation of it seems to bore. But I suppose we'll still end up playing 5000 hours of it.

Parn
Oct 14, 2005, 09:30 PM
From all the descriptions, this sounds like the exact same early demo build that was showcased at E3 back in May.

ecchichuu
Oct 14, 2005, 10:40 PM
That's disappointing to hear. Action games have come so far over the last 5 years and if PSU hasn't advanced very far from PSO...

Well I guess I will find out for myself tomorrow. But I'm not feeling optimistic right now.

therealAERO
Oct 14, 2005, 10:48 PM
On 2005-10-14 18:33, ForceEJ wrote:
You forgot one thing that the NPC actually help you and don't die that quickly.

I had no clue how to turn to first person view with the gun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Oh yea please use space between a few sentence for easy reading.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2005-10-14 18:35 ]</font>

R3 button ^_^ ...or was it L3...well I'm not that sure since I played it on a PC, not PS2

Dre_o
Oct 14, 2005, 11:48 PM
On 2005-10-14 19:18, _Tek_ wrote:
I think the reason it seems lackluster is you play pso so long, that any reincarnation of it seems to bore. But I suppose we'll still end up playing 5000 hours of it.

Indeed. After thinking, I believe that, correct me if I'm wrong, you didn't get the full effect because you played as Ethan, not your own custom character. Not to say that's a bad thing or any thing, you just didn't get the full effect of the good old PSO customization.

omegabuild
Oct 15, 2005, 11:18 AM
your definately right, playing as ethan was not as entertaining, and especially, it seemed the demo was sort of pieced together, the transitions from cutscene to action were forced, it didnt bring you in. this of course is ademo.

I think what you can note from my playing, is that the battle system is not a far cry above old pso. In that respect it isnt new or ground breaking. However, time has mellowed me out a bit. Like i said it was a demo and pso is an action rpg, a good deal of teh entertainment is customization and charachter building, these elements we cant see from the demo.
Is definately true that ihave played pso excessively, and that some one who played less may be less jaded.

Essentially a lot will depend on teh things outside the battle system and how much customization they have added.

Rion772
Oct 15, 2005, 12:26 PM
Aside from the lack of options you had when you played it seems pretty good, I still love and play PSO so I don't plan on getting bored of it quick at all.

REAL BULLETS?!...NOT PHOTON?!...

Real Bullets+Limited Ammo=JOY!!!

King_Rappy
Oct 15, 2005, 03:08 PM
Guns don't have bullts, but tey use Photon Points.

omegabuild
Oct 15, 2005, 10:57 PM
bullets or photon points, the effect that i mean is teh fact that it runs out, not so much the graphic representation, or the nature of teh ballistics. So yeah they cost some points, you lose one per shot, no idea how you refill them though.

OdinTyler
Oct 15, 2005, 11:06 PM
I just got home a lil while ago (Saturday night, tho as of this posting it will now be Sun morning after I hit submit) from attending the convention at the Jacob Javits Center. I have to say I was impressed with the center as a whole (first time there, I believe). Countless exhibits to check out but I had a single minded purpose: Phantasy Star Universe. With that, I begin my tale, point by point:

1) First, I must thank the ppl that went on Fri as they gave me some idea of how to play the game.

2) When I finally found the stations for PSU (there were a few & the lines werent TOO bad), I have to say...(drool)

3) I played both the forest scene & the relics scene & both were pretty good but get boring when you only have 2 lvls to test. I can tell from these 2 lvls alone that PSU is gonna be HUGE!

4) I had fun playing with the menus that I could, whether switching between weapons & noticing the details of such (ex. the gun having photon 'bullets' or charges or w/e you want to call them).

5) The various weapons themselves give you different combos & playing styles, which I liked. The staff is a pretty good weapon against a boss, like the dragon in the forest lvl. You can use it to cast Gifoie with one button & Resta with another. Its great as a group heal & helps immensely. It basically gives you a good idea of how you can switch weps on the fly & use weps based on a given situation.

6) The gun takes some getting used to but the fact that you can strafe, move backward & foward while shooting is a plus. Even on this demo you can get into some hairy situations & learning the controls quickly will help you out.

7) The great thing about it being a demo is even if all your chars die including 'Ethan Webar' (yes, that is exactly how its spelled in the game), you can press X & continue from there. Dont be a dummy & hit start like I did once & ended the demo there. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif I played at least a good 4 times so that should tell you I was really getting into the game.

9) Magashi is a jerk (android bum http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ) & I want to hunt him down for what he does at the end of the relics scene (if you wanna know, ask me...dont wanna spoil it for those that would rather not know).

10) I spoke with one of the Sega reps & hes pretty sure that the game is coming out in Winter but he didnt know (or wouldnt say) when a more accurate date is. Seeing the character names in English, despite the Japanese voiceovers with English subtitles gives me SOME hope that it will be out in the next few months (hopefully).

Basically, I think everyone's going to have fun trying to see what their player styles will be & that will determine how much fun you can have with your character. I can only imagine greater possibilities with your online character as opposed to the offline mode. I managed to tour the whole convention but there were quite a few exhibits on displays for games. I played Shadow The Hedgehog (crazy game, gotta play it again) & I did check out other games from Sega, Xbox, etc.
Also, some non-PS tidbits others might find interesting. I got to see the person chosen to play as Antonia Bayle for EQ II (for model purposes at least). She seemed rather friendly & even more attractive than her pic. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Where are the PS models? Oh well. LOL I did managed to catch a quick look at Method Man & Red Man who were very much mobbed by ppl. Kinda funny, actually. Jessica Alba was also scheduled to attend but I didnt get to see her. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Wonder where she went?
If you love anything digital be it games, phones, w/e, theres a ton of things to check out. The convention will also be going on Sunday so if you can get to NY, I definitely suggest you check it out. I havent been to many conventions in my life but this is definitely one to see.

This is Odin Tyler, reporting for PSO World news. Thank you & good night.

LOL

Dre_o
Oct 15, 2005, 11:27 PM
Yes, that was award winning reporter Odin Taylor from New York. Next, the sports with Oni140.

heh

Anyways, nice job. Just makes me want it more.

OdinTyler
Oct 16, 2005, 12:52 AM
LOL TY Dre, tho I didnt say I live in NY. I just happened to mysteriously get home from a convention in NY. Maybe I took a really fast plane...?

Nah, Im just playing! Ya, Im from NY so being able to go to a con not to far from me was great. I couldnt remember all the details of the game section (or the con as a whole) but if you have any questions, ask me. I may remember then. I still kinda have Anna aka the Antonia model on my mind. Damn, she fine! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Must...focus...on...PSU...
...cant...must...focus...on...
DAMMIT! We need hot PS-related models! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif