PDA

View Full Version : love hina: worth the buy?

DeathCheese87
Sep 3, 2002, 03:39 PM
ive recently read the first LH manga, and i have to say it has sparked some interest. im just wondering if anyone knows where i can find some DUBBED (i dont enjoy subtitled animes) DVDs of this series. i know there are some out there for 30 bucks, but do they get any cheaper?

and while we're here, whos your favorite girl in the series? mine has to be kitsune

FinalMasterM
Sep 3, 2002, 04:25 PM
Yes it is worth the $30-/+, I'm not a big fan of dubbed products tho (and from what Abdur tells me the dub to LoveHina is poorly done), but I would purchase the 1st and see how you like it (and give the sub a try).

Btw, if you can't tell who my favorite is then... I'm just gonna have to smack you...

ABDUR101
Sep 3, 2002, 04:31 PM
The dub is horrid in my opinion. The characters voices in japanese are way fricken better.

Kitsune's voice in the dub...BLAH!..gimme the fahking sub.

Kitsune is my favorite too =o

Sojo
Sep 3, 2002, 06:04 PM
I've seen a few of the manags, no Anime, and a bunch of hentai...

What I have seen, I quite liked...

Ziggy-san
Sep 3, 2002, 08:17 PM
Get the DVD. Absolutely worth it, I think.

The dub is bad, but I don't think I've ever seen a good dub...ever...so bah to that...

Thankfully you can always go sub to capture the true quality of this series...it's quite humerous and entertaining...and it's got a great soundtrack.

If you liked the manga, you won't be dissapointed ^^

DeathCheese87
Sep 3, 2002, 09:16 PM
wait, so the american dvd has english AND japanese audio?

eh

ABDUR101
Sep 3, 2002, 09:28 PM
On 2002-09-03 19:16, DeathCheese87 wrote:
wait, so the american dvd has english AND japanese audio?

...yes. Most american DVD's are english and japanese.

l337_h4xOr
Sep 4, 2002, 04:09 PM
IGN seems to think it's terrible.
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/317653p1.html

Here are some choice quotes:

Love Hina is still damned by its inability to offer anything that isn't a practical antithesis of originality.

Even the fan-service's greatest effort in the direction of originality is hardly one to look favorably on -- who thought it was a good idea to include a upskirt shot of the pre-teenage Shinobu?

Love Hina is a mediocre, predictable, unoriginal effort to appeal to the sizable majority of the anime-buying market that will never, ever, ever get a date.

I personally, would avoid it after reading this review.

ABDUR101
Sep 4, 2002, 05:09 PM
On 2002-09-04 14:09, 1337_h4xOr wrote:
I personally, would avoid it after reading this review.

OH GOD! IGN SAID IT's BAD! Does IGN have a religion!? I better go see if Islam is ok with IGN.

..seriously, does anyone let any review site, IGN of all places *shudder*..decide what you do or don't get?

You know what, yes, Love Hina is teh suck so please, don't get it.

Infact, it is so much teh suck I'm going to save up and buy the rest of the DVD's as soon as they are all released.

BWS-1
Sep 4, 2002, 05:29 PM
On 2002-09-04 15:09, ABDUR101 wrote:
Infact, it is so much teh suck I'm going to save up and buy the rest of the DVD's as soon as they are all released.

Duude, I've learn my mistake with NGE (wchich is waay more teh suck then Love Hina) Now, why don't you wait till the boxset comes out? That way you'll save at least 200 $ and have a chance to invest that money on other anime that IGN says to be the worst crap in the world ever to be created http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ABDUR101
Sep 4, 2002, 05:40 PM
On 2002-09-04 15:29, BWS-1 wrote:
Duude, I've learn my mistake with NGE (wchich is waay more teh suck then Love Hina) Now, why don't you wait till the boxset comes out?

Because I am teh sucky anime whore and had pre-ordered the first DVD and box many months ago, and now I plan on just picking up all the DVD's in one go when they are all finally released.

I also plan on pre-ordering teh ultimate suck know as Hellsing in the same way. Get the first DVD and box, and have the others lined up and payed for so they will be shipped to me as soon as they are released.

That way you'll save at least 200 $ and have a chance to invest that money on other anime that IGN says to be the worst crap in the world ever to be created http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Because I am teh sucky anime whore and cannot control thyself!

So sad, and yet..must..feed...addiction ;_;

*blows paycheck*

*sings Hellsing opening theme song*

Xerin
Sep 4, 2002, 07:04 PM
Sub > Dub

Reason? Dub's voices is bad, plus the show is edited >>

/me agrees with Abdur 100%

Edit:
btw Tama-chan does own j00 all 555 kthk

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xerin on 2002-09-04 17:06 ]</font>

l337_h4xOr
Sep 4, 2002, 10:09 PM
Well Mr. Know it all. From the things IGN said about it, it sounds rather stupid to me. The plot sounds bland and the whole theme has been done thousands of times before. Sorry for posting a review. Maybe we can all be cool and blow all of our money on anime too with out reading other peoples impressions.

ABDUR101
Sep 4, 2002, 10:24 PM
On 2002-09-04 20:09, 1337_h4xOr wrote:
Well Mr. Know it all.

Aww..how kind, you even address me as Mister. =)

From the things IGN said about it, it sounds rather stupid to me.

Yay for your opinion. But, you can't have an opinion, because you did'nt see it yet. You're only going by what IGN says about it. Please, refer back to my first reply to what IGN said about it, I fear you have missed the point I was conveying.

The plot sounds bland and the whole theme has been done thousands of times before.

You expect amazing originality? You know, what ever happened to enjoying something for what it is and not what it isn't?

Sorry for posting a review. Maybe we can all be cool and blow all of our money on anime too with out reading other peoples impressions.

I don't know, I'm sure being an alcoholic and blowing money on cases of beer isn't all fun and games. And why do I need other people's impressions? If I told you that PSO was a POS and that it was the most idiotic game ever conceived, would you go out and buy it? Do you realise how much fun you'd miss out on?

No wait...thats all a blatant lie. Go read more reviews from people who, since they work at a game site, must know the absolute truth and tell me what is worth buying.

Xerin
Sep 4, 2002, 10:47 PM
On 2002-09-04 20:09, 1337_h4xOr wrote:
blah blah blah

http://www.ragnaroksource.com/images/locked.jpg

Alielle
Sep 4, 2002, 10:56 PM
Actually, I also dislike anime that has a premise similar to Love Hina. E.g. average guy (bland on purpose, so the viewer can impose his personality onto him) surrounded by tons of hot chicks who think he's the sexiest dude on the planet (either that, or they keep falling down on top of him or something). Ugh. No thanks. Also, one of the most lusted-after characters in that show is 13. 13!! I don't care if she's a cartoon; she has no secondary sexual characteristics!! Gross. What's with the Japanese and their underage fetishes?

Anyway.

For a laugh, check this out. (http://www.tracy-williams.net/dag/dag3_1.html)

Xerin
Sep 4, 2002, 11:04 PM
On 2002-09-04 20:56, Alielle wrote:
Actually, I also dislike anime that has a premise similar to Love Hina. E.g. average guy (bland on purpose, so the viewer can impose his personality onto him) surrounded by tons of hot chicks who think he's the sexiest dude on the planet (either that, or they keep falling down on top of him or something).

Actually, he is slightly above average, he did pass the entrance exams to take the entrance exams of Tokyo U, and all of the girls did reject him due to the fact he was an average guy, but the lesson there was that, even if your not like the handsome nekkid vegeta, its what is inside the counts. As for the falling on the girls part, it shows how he was attempting not to come off as a perv, thus he was always sliping etc.

Ugh. No thanks. Also, one of the most lusted-after characters in that show is 13. 13!! I don't care if she's a cartoon; she has no secondary sexual characteristics!! Gross. What's with the Japanese and their underage fetishes?

People don't want to sex her up ( we all know that mutsumi is the prime choice for sexing), they just love how incient she is.

ABDUR101
Sep 4, 2002, 11:18 PM
I don't know...I think Kitsune owns =X
http://abdur101.homestead.com/files/sigs/ABDUR101/Kitsune2.jpg

It's the things dreams are made of I tell you. Anime characters are so nicely refined.

http://abdur101.homestead.com/files/sigs/ABDUR101/Kitsune1.jpg

...*bitch slaps everyone back to reality*

Remember, no matter how re-fined or nice they are, they aren't real. =)

*hears alot of people start to cry*

Alielle
Sep 4, 2002, 11:30 PM
On 2002-09-04 21:04, Xerin wrote:

Actually, he is slightly above average, he did pass the entrance exams to take the entrance exams of Tokyo U, and all of the girls did reject him due to the fact he was an average guy, but the lesson there was that, even if your not like the handsome nekkid vegeta, its what is inside the counts. As for the falling on the girls part, it shows how he was attempting not to come off as a perv, thus he was always sliping etc.

Well, that's nice. But I don't really buy that "he touches them on accident because he's trying desperately not to" thing. Usually that's called "gratuitous." (In Japan they call it "fanservice;" go figure.)

People don't want to sex her up ( we all know that mutsumi is the prime choice for sexing), they just love how incient she is.

Oh, so I suppose all those naked pictures of her are "celebrating her innocence"... >.< Anyhow, the whole "lusting after anime characters" thing is the whole point of the genre, which is fine if you're a dateless loser like that sort of thing. It doesn't really do anything for me, though.

And I know there's some sort of deep storyline or something, but I don't wanna wade through tons of jiggling titties and accidental upskirt peeks and molestations to get to the redeeming moral. O_o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2002-09-04 21:32 ]</font>

l337_h4xOr
Sep 4, 2002, 11:30 PM
Yay for your opinion. But, you can't have an opinion, because you did'nt see it yet. You're only going by what IGN says about it. Please, refer back to my first reply to what IGN said about it, I fear you have missed the point I was conveying.
Why should I have to see it to know if I will like it. From the plot description I can already tell it will be a waste of my time. Hence the value of review. Take for instance a hypothetical movie that is released with a trailer that shows little about the movie. If I read a review that describes it as a movie that attempts to justify the holocost I would not see it. All of the reviews I have read of love hina describe the same plot, I happen to feel the same way about said plot types as the IGN reviewer, thus it is a valuable review to me and the series is not worth my time or money. God forbid people have a disenting opinion from you.

You expect amazing originality? You know, what ever happened to enjoying something for what it is and not what it isn't?What ever happened to people enjoying different things? To me this series seems like a waste of time. I know from the description of it I will not like it.

One of the funniest anime of all time! After being rejected twice from Tokyo University, hapless Keitaro Urashima becomes the manager of an all-girls apartment complex! But will he be able to concentrate on his studies? Could one of his tenants be his long-lost love? Will his tenants leave him alone? Heck! Will he survive the school year?! This is from the anime nation web site, to me this sounds like a snoozer. But I guess I am not allowed to think I won't like it.

I don't know, I'm sure being an alcoholic and blowing money on cases of beer isn't all fun and games. And why do I need other people's impressions? If I told you that PSO was a POS and that it was the most idiotic game ever conceived, would you go out and buy it? Do you realise how much fun you'd miss out on?

No wait...thats all a blatant lie. Go read more reviews from people who, since they work at a game site, must know the absolute truth and tell me what is worth buying.First off if all you said was PSO was a POS then I would not hold that 'review' in high regard. However if you disected the game and said exactly why is was a POS then perhaps I would take you more seriously. The author of the review in question took the DVD and said exactly why he did not like it. These are reasons I can identify with and thus can form an opinion based on his review. If he simply wrote a sophomoric review equivelent to "Love Hina sucks ass." then I would have simply blown it off.

The reason I posted the article was the original author of this thread wanted an opinion of the DVD Series. Everyone here had more or less the opinion that it was good. I though it was in his best interest to post an opposite viewpoint to help him make a more balanced decision. Otherwise his information would have been as valuable as if he asked the people on the xbox forums what console to buy.

Xerin
Sep 4, 2002, 11:47 PM
On 2002-09-04 21:30, Alielle wrote:

Oh, so I suppose all those naked pictures of her are "celebrating her innocence"... >.< Anyhow, the whole "lusting after anime characters" thing is the whole point of the genre, which is fine if you're a dateless loser like that sort of thing. It doesn't really do anything for me, though.

And I know there's some sort of deep storyline or something, but I don't wanna wade through tons of jiggling titties and accidental upskirt peeks and molestations to get to the redeeming moral. O_o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2002-09-04 21:32 ]</font>

First of all, there is naked pictures of everything out there, from Barney to the stupid teletubbies. There is sicko's out there, but there isn't any child pr0n in the show, secondly, the intire show isn't about upskirts and titty jiggling, like two times an ep somthing happens like that for 10 seconds or less, then the guy gets his ass kicked.

l337_h4xOr
Sep 5, 2002, 12:01 AM
Alielle just stop. It's obvious we are idiots for holding our opinions of this show and we are clearly wrong for not liking it or the genera. May God have mercy on our souls.

ABDUR101
Sep 5, 2002, 12:15 AM
On 2002-09-04 21:30, 1337_h4xOr wrote:
Why should I have to see it to know if I will like it.

Because that would be the easiest way of going about it. Did you read any other source about it other than IGN? Did you ask friends, other review sites? If you're only going to go by what ONE review site said, how are you even getting a broad view? You only liked the review because it agreed with what you thought already.

From the plot description I can already tell it will be a waste of my time. Hence the value of review.

But you'll never know, because you haven't seen it. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't go by plot description at a site, nor by reviews. Why? Because the plot description does little to justify what I'm looking to buy. It is merely a small tidbit of the large picture.

Take for instance a hypothetical movie that is released with a trailer that shows little about the movie. If I read a review that describes it as a movie that attempts to justify the holocost I would not see it.

Have you seen any trailers for Love Hina? What do the Trailers tell you about a movie? They are there just to give you a taste of things, they barely scratch the surface of things to come, expecially when it comes to anime series that span multiple DVD's. There are alot of plot twists and turns.

All of the reviews I have read of love hina describe the same plot, I happen to feel the same way about said plot types as the IGN reviewer, thus it is a valuable review to me and the series is not worth my time or money.

That's not what you were conveying in your first post. All you posted were three snips from the review and said it wasn't worth buying. You gave very little reasoning behind it, considering you've never seen it before yourself. So far, the majority of people that have seen Love Hina have said it's worth buying. Which far outweigh you saying it's not.

God forbid people have a disenting opinion from you.

Oh God yes, pity them.

No one said you aren't allowed your own opinion, but you haven't even seen the anime yet, so what opinion are you giving? You're only giving the opinion of the review that you read. Thus was my point to begin with. I would fully accept your opinion if you had even seen afew episodes of Love Hina, but you haven't, which makes your opinion very light in this matter.

What ever happened to people enjoying different things?

It never disappeared, but you have yet to see Love Hina thus your opinion has no place.

We are not debating who enjoys what, and whether they are allowed to or not. Everyone is entitled to love or hate as many things under the sun, as long as they have a reason for it. How can you not like something you've never seen? How can you judge one anime by associating it with others?

To me this series seems like a waste of time. I know from the description of it I will not like it.

Yay, there's your opinion, the one you gave considering you've never seen this series. Good, don't buy Love Hina, God, stay far away from it!

This is from the anime nation web site, to me this sounds like a snoozer. But I guess I am not allowed to think I won't like it.

Thinking you won't like it, and stating that it's not worth watching/buying are two different things you have done. You haven't seen it, which is fine but that also doesn't give you the right to tell someone how bad it is, because this person is asking those who have seen it. If they wanted to know a general idea about it, they'd go read reviews, but obviously they want to hear directly from someone who has seen it.

First off if all you said was PSO was a POS then I would not hold that 'review' in high regard. However if you disected the game and said exactly why is was a POS then perhaps I would take you more seriously.

Well thats good to hear.

The author of the review in question took the DVD and said exactly why he did not like it. These are reasons I can identify with and thus can form an opinion based on his review.

Which proves my point of you only agreeing with the review because it told you want you wanted to hear. Thank you.

If he simply wrote a sophomoric review equivelent to "Love Hina sucks ass." then I would have simply blown it off.

Again, good to hear.

The reason I posted the article was the original author of this thread wanted an opinion of the DVD Series.

You posted snippets from the article, and gave your opinion which doesn't have a place because you haven't seen it yet. You're merely repeating what the reviewer said, which is pointless, because if this person wanted to just go look at reviews for it, he would, but he came here and asked those of us who saw it first hand.

*feels like he has to repeat himself too many times*

Everyone here had more or less the opinion that it was good. I though it was in his best interest to post an opposite viewpoint to help him make a more balanced decision.

Thank you for thinking in his best interest.
But, you should'nt really reply unless you have seen it first hand. First hand observation is the best. Some reviewers don't like certain types of anime, and thus, down them accordingly. Thus, why Deathcheese came here. Varied replies and thoughts are always liked and wanted, but only if the opinions addressed are sound and warranted. If I asked my nephew about an anime, he'd give me a half assed answer because he doesn't like anime unless it has sex or lots of violence in it. I however, can enjoy an anime without sex, violence, or "fan service". Sure, those things are nice to an extent, but it's the overall story and character interaction that I like.

Otherwise his information would have been as valuable as if he asked the people on the xbox forums what console to buy.

Not really, because he trusts us. This isn't a Love Hina forum, we're all pretty much friends here, and thus those who know what they're talking about are welcome to give their side of things.

If you read this far, congratulations, and get used to it. =)

Alielle
Sep 5, 2002, 12:42 AM
On 2002-09-04 21:47, Xerin wrote:

First of all, there is naked pictures of everything out there, from Barney to the stupid teletubbies.

Really? Maybe that's 'cause they're naked in the first place! Nurnurnur...

Ahem. I mean, usually porn of kiddie shows like that is done for humor and shock value; I wouldn't hold it in the same caliber as Japanese-drawn hentai.

My point is, that character is pretty heavily represented in Love Hina hentai galleries. That perturbs me, though it's hardly surprising... the Lolita complex is pretty common in Japan (though I'm not sure if 13 is even considered underage there... it seems like they keep lowering the age). I'm not by any means implying that Love Hina fans are pedophiles; just pointing out a disturbing fact.

There is sicko's out there, but there isn't any child pr0n in the show, secondly, the intire show isn't about upskirts and titty jiggling, like two times an ep somthing happens like that for 10 seconds or less, then the guy gets his ass kicked.

The fact that there is titty jiggling and upskirt shots "2 times in an episode" as you mention just furthered my point that the show is gratuitous. O_o

Xerin
Sep 5, 2002, 12:59 AM
On 2002-09-04 22:42, Alielle wrote:

On 2002-09-04 21:47, Xerin wrote:

First of all, there is naked pictures of everything out there, from Barney to the stupid teletubbies.

Really? Maybe that's 'cause they're naked in the first place! Nurnurnur...

Ahem. I mean, usually porn of kiddie shows like that is done for humor and shock value; I wouldn't hold it in the same caliber as Japanese-drawn hentai.

My point is, that character is pretty heavily represented in Love Hina hentai galleries. That perturbs me, though it's hardly surprising... the Lolita complex is pretty common in Japan (though I'm not sure if 13 is even considered underage there... it seems like they keep lowering the age). I'm not by any means implying that Love Hina fans are pedophiles; just pointing out a disturbing fact.

You go and look at hentai galleries? Sicko

There is sicko's out there, but there isn't any child pr0n in the show, secondly, the intire show isn't about upskirts and titty jiggling, like two times an ep somthing happens like that for 10 seconds or less, then the guy gets his ass kicked.

The fact that there is titty jiggling and upskirt shots "2 times in an episode" as you mention just furthered my point that the show is gratuitous. O_o

In most shows there are upskirts and titty jiggling, hell, 9 o'clock sitcoms have 100x the titty jiggling and upskirts and sexual refernces then Love Hina, just because there is 2 or 3 scenes using sexual situations as humor doesn't make it a bad anime, or it involves love instead of hardcore fighting O_o

ABDUR101
Sep 5, 2002, 01:09 AM
On 2002-09-04 22:59, Xerin wrote:

I'm the sickest SOB here. o_O

Alielle
Sep 5, 2002, 01:19 AM
On 2002-09-04 22:59, Xerin wrote:

I had an unwritten rule that the "debate" would be over once you said something like this, because you've probably run out of things to say.

The fact that I look at hentai galleries has nothing to do with the point I brought up.

In most shows there are upskirts and titty jiggling,

No, there isn't. I'm assuming you're talking about anime, and even then, you're wrong. You probably don't even watch much outside of one or two genres (blame US distributors for that), so you have no basis for this assumption. (If you have, then you have no excuse for making this comment.)

hell, 9 o'clock sitcoms have 100x the titty jiggling and upskirts and sexual refernces then Love Hina,

I doubt that. I've never seen a late night sitcom with jiggling or upskirts. Maybe BET or MTV, but not sitcoms. The only one I can think of that would be close to what you describe is "Married With Children," but I don't remember it having 200 sexual references/jiggling/upskirts per show.

just because there is 2 or 3 scenes using sexual situations as humor doesn't make it a bad anime, or it involves love instead of hardcore fighting O_o

It makes me infinitely less interested. Sexual situations as humor is agonizingly terrible, not to mention one of the basest, crudest ways to get a laugh (like potty humor). It hurts me to watch that stuff.

l337_h4xOr
Sep 5, 2002, 01:23 AM
On 2002-09-04 22:15, ABDUR101 wrote:

Because that would be the easiest way of going about it. Did you read any other source about it other than IGN? Did you ask friends, other review sites? If you're only going to go by what ONE review site said, how are you even getting a broad view? You only liked the review because it agreed with what you thought already.
Who is to say I have or have not read other reviews. You make to many assumptions about what I have and have not seen/read. I have gleened enough about this series to make a decision. That is all I have said. You are trying to argue that I am not justified in deciding that I will hold no interest in this series from the description which is an argment that you can not win. It is based entirely on opinion. You also said I "liked" his review, which is also an untrue assumption. I am indifferent to it, I just happen to identify with his issues with it.

But you'll never know, because you haven't seen it. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't go by plot description at a site, nor by reviews. Why? Because the plot description does little to justify what I'm looking to buy. It is merely a small tidbit of the large picture.

Really? You see, my girlfriend hates war movies, they make her ill. She can decide simply from the description "war movie" if she will like a movie or not. After seeing realistic combat scenes she can not sleep. Descriptions are infact valuable, they are there to give an insite of what to expect to the viewer. If they had no value every movie released on dvd would be devoid of the description on the back.

Have you seen any trailers for Love Hina? What do the Trailers tell you about a movie? They are there just to give you a taste of things, they barely scratch the surface of things to come, expecially when it comes to anime series that span multiple DVD's. There are alot of plot twists and turns.

Regardless, I dont like the genera. You would be hard pressed to get a person that hates hentai to watch La Blue Girl. I could care less about the twists and turns in a series that is part of a genera I do not like.

That's not what you were conveying in your first post. All you posted were three snips from the review and said it wasn't worth buying. You gave very little reasoning behind it, considering you've never seen it before yourself. So far, the majority of people that have seen Love Hina have said it's worth buying. Which far outweigh you saying it's not.

I actually posted a link to the entire review as well. The reviewer had watched the entire DVD and gave an objective view of it. I did not need to give any reasoning, I was posting someone elses review.

Oh God yes, pity them.

No one said you aren't allowed your own opinion, but you haven't even seen the anime yet, so what opinion are you giving? You're only giving the opinion of the review that you read. Thus was my point to begin with. I would fully accept your opinion if you had even seen afew episodes of Love Hina, but you haven't, which makes your opinion very light in this matter.

I don't know what opinion of mine you are talking about. Not once have I posted any opinion of mine on love hina, only the genera. I posted someone elses opinion however and said "I personally, would avoid it after reading this review.". You on the other hand are trying to argue that I have no right to Decide that it is not for me before watching it.

It never disappeared, but you have yet to see Love Hina thus your opinion has no place.

Again with this imaginary opinion that I never posted.

We are not debating who enjoys what, and whether they are allowed to or not. Everyone is entitled to love or hate as many things under the sun, as long as they have a reason for it. How can you not like something you've never seen? How can you judge one anime by associating it with others?I can judge it because I don't like the genera, which seems to be a hard concept for you to understand. By your logic, if I gave you a movie "Girls who eat their own shit" you would not be able to tell me it's not for you with out watching it, even though you know what it will be like.

Yay, there's your opinion, the one you gave considering you've never seen this series. Good, don't buy Love Hina, God, stay far away from it!

That was not an opinion, it was educated decision based on previous experiences of watching anime. This type of show boars me. That is not opinion, it is fact.

Thinking you won't like it, and stating that it's not worth watching/buying are two different things you have done.

I said I would avoid it, not it is not worth buying. This means it is not worth it to me. Do you even know what you are trying to argue anymore?

You haven't seen it, which is fine but that also doesn't give you the right to tell someone how bad it is,

I guess you don't know what you are arguing. I never said it was bad, I linked to a review that it was bad.

because this person is asking those who have seen it.

which is why I linked to a person that did.

If they wanted to know a general idea about it, they'd go read reviews, but obviously they want to hear directly from someone who has seen it.
Are you implying that a reviewer has not seen the film he is reviewing? A review is an opinion directly from someone who have viewed something.

First off if all you said was PSO was a POS then I would not hold that 'review' in high regard. However if you disected the game and said exactly why is was a POS then perhaps I would take you more seriously.

Well thats good to hear.

Which proves my point of you only agreeing with the review because it told you want you wanted to hear. Thank you.

Proves what point? You are all over the map! If you are trying to prove that I don't like a genera which is what I have been saying all along then good job. I also said that I value his review because he has a similar feeling twords the genera as I. I never said that I "agree" with it, only I found it to be a valuable tool to gauge if I would like the series because I have a similar taste as the reviewer, which is the fucking point of reviews. If the author of this thread does not have a similar taste in anime as the reviewer then he will obviously dismiss his review.

You posted snippets from the article, and gave your opinion which doesn't have a place because you haven't seen it yet.

No, I posted a link to the entire thing. Snippets were used to avoid posting a long review. And "I personally, would avoid it after reading this review." does not constitute as an opinion of the anime.

You're merely repeating what the reviewer said, which is pointless, because if this person wanted to just go look at reviews for it, he would, but he came here and asked those of us who saw it first hand.The reviewer saw it first hand as well. You dont seem to get that yet.

*feels like he has to repeat himself too many times*

Funny, I was thinking the same damn thing.

Thank you for thinking in his best interest.
But, you should'nt really reply unless you have seen it first hand.

Why not? the review I posted was a first hand account of the DVD and is just as valid as anything you would post.

First hand observation is the best.
Which is what a review is.

Some reviewers don't like certain types of anime, and thus, down them accordingly.
So what? If I saw it and wrote the exact same thing as the reviewer then how would it be any different?

Varied replies and thoughts are always liked and wanted, but only if the opinions addressed are sound and warranted.
I posted an article that directly addressed his question.

Not really, because he trusts us. This isn't a Love Hina forum, we're all pretty much friends here, and thus those who know what they're talking about are welcome to give their side of things.
The reviewer obviously knows what he is talking about, hell, he is paid to know what he is talking about. As I said several times, I never offered an opinion of the series, only stated I don't like the genera. Posting a review from some one that did see it was the best I could do for him, and it was justified.

If you read this far, congratulations, and get used to it. =)

Should I also get used to your sorry arguments as well? Seeing as thouugh you have failed to prove anything and are making assumptions on things I never said.

ABDUR101
Sep 5, 2002, 01:38 AM
Actually, if you were referring to the genre, then yeah, this has been a whole damn waste of time. We are reffering to the anime itself, Love Hina, not the genre, but the specific anime.

Go back and read your first post in this thread. You were talking about Love Hina specifically then. Somewhere along the line you changed your arguement from "Love Hina" to the entire genre that Love Hina belongs in. Deathcheese asked specifically about Love Hina, and thus everyone gave their viewpoints. If you were talking about the genre, you did'nt make it clear enough. This whole time I thought you were bitching about Love Hina, when you haven't seen it.

You're talking about the genre, which is fine, I see your view point, and I can understand why you would avoid Love Hina altogether if you aren't too keen on the genre itself. Next time be specific.

Thanks for your time, the typing lesson was free of charge. =)

Xerin
Sep 5, 2002, 01:47 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hell, 9 o'clock sitcoms have 100x the titty jiggling and upskirts and sexual refernces then Love Hina,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt that. I've never seen a late night sitcom with jiggling or upskirts. Maybe BET or MTV, but not sitcoms. The only one I can think of that would be close to what you describe is "Married With Children," but I don't remember it having 200 sexual references/jiggling/upskirts per show.

-----------------------------
Will and Grace, need to say more? K, Seinfield where they actually GET nekkid... any more?

l337_h4xOr
Sep 5, 2002, 02:06 AM
On 2002-09-04 23:38, ABDUR101 wrote:
Actually, if you were referring to the genre, then yeah, this has been a whole damn waste of time. We are reffering to the anime itself, Love Hina, not the genre, but the specific anime.

I know, hence why I posted the review in the first place. The genere only came into play here because you could not accept the fact that I didn't want to buy it based on the review and the description. Thus I needed to further explain to you that I also do not like the entire genere, which is why I identified with the reviewers issues.

Go back and read your first post in this thread. You were talking about Love Hina specifically then. Somewhere along the line you changed your arguement from "Love Hina" to the entire genre that Love Hina belongs in.

I changed it? Actually I didn't. I posted some one elses review and you assigned me some imaginary opinion. Therefore I needed to explain to you that I never posted an opinion of the anime that was my own. I could only personally comment on the genera.

Deathcheese asked specifically about Love Hina, and thus everyone gave their viewpoints. If you were talking about the genre, you did'nt make it clear enough.I gave him a view point as well, it was crystal clear, just not my own.

This whole time I thought you were bitching about Love Hina, when you haven't seen it.I never bitched about love hina, I posted someone elses gripe with it.

You're talking about the genre, which is fine. I see your view point, and I can understand why you would avoid Love Hina altogether if you aren't too keen on the genre itself. Next time be specific.
I was. You just assigned me some opinion that I never claimed to have. Then proceded to quote my posts trying to tear apart the opinion that never existed.

Alielle
Sep 5, 2002, 02:31 AM
On 2002-09-04 23:47, Xerin wrote:

Will and Grace, need to say more? K, Seinfield where they actually GET nekkid... any more?

You lost your ground when you said that there's "100x more" nudity. I seriously doubt that there is significantly more nudity or sexual situations on American TV than the 2 incidents per episode or whatever in Love Hina. Furthermore, I don't see said sitcoms bearing any resemblance to a show that obviously has tons of women around for exploitative/fanservice purposes (oh yeah, and for loooooove). And if the show was REALLY focused on romance and not fanservice, they'd call it a shoujo series. But the comic it's based on is published in a boy's magazine, and has lots of busty women. Ding ding ding! (Hint: that's the sound of your brain making a connection)

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if someone made an anime series that showed crotch and butt shots of a bunch of hot guys as the girls around him stumble around and accidentally touch him. I'm sure it would be understandable if guys didn't like it.

SO WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?! AAAARGH

ABDUR101
Sep 5, 2002, 03:38 AM
On 2002-09-05 00:31, Alielle wrote:
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if someone made an anime series that showed crotch and butt shots of a bunch of hot guys as the girls around him stumble around and accidentally touch him. I'm sure it would be understandable if guys didn't like it.

*raises hand*
..umm...will there be good fan service?

I agree though, most guys would'nt sit well with it. I'm a freak, I don't count ;_;

*looks over thread*
..wow..all that typing. Now if only that had been part of a contract or manual for work >_>

Yeah |33t, a misunderstanding on both our parts. I wasn't argueing with you not liking Love Hina, I was argueing over you trying to voice an opinion when you hadn't seen it. I'm sure deathcheese could go and look up all the reviews he wants, but he's asking us first hand, and since you, yourself, did'nt see it, it was kind of a moot point.

Kind of like me giving my thoughts on baseball, because I don't like sports, therefore since I don't like sports, asking me my opinion is kind of stupid, right?

And remember, just as a reminder here, argueing and debating doesn't mean we're argueing against each other personally, we're just giving different viewpoints, and that should'nt get in the way of having fun, correct? =)

FinalMasterM
Sep 5, 2002, 05:39 AM
There is a lot of stuff here I could quote and reply too, but due to lack of time, I won't.

1) Nothing is original, sorry nope never.
2) This threads purpose was to give DeathCheese an idea of our personal (and others reviews) of the Love Hina anime.
3) No where did DeathCheese ask "Hey how much sexy hentai can I get?"

Anyway, reading some of your post I can tell that most of you don't even try to "watch" anime and you see it as another stupid cartoon. If this is the case please go back to watching your PowerPuff Girls, I'm pretty sure that is 100% original and has more meaning and story than any anime could have.

Alielle
Sep 5, 2002, 09:28 AM
On 2002-09-05 01:38, ABDUR101 wrote:
*raises hand*
..umm...will there be good fan service?

I agree though, most guys would'nt sit well with it. I'm a freak, I don't count ;_;

Freak! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I promise you that if I ever make such a series, I'll give them really short shorts just for you! (Don't get your hopes up, though. I can't draw guys very well.)

FinalMasterM, I'm not sure who you're addressing, but that's a pretty weak assumption. We don't really like anime because we don't like stuff like Love Hina? Yeah, I guess I better clear my closet full of anime then... O_o

And don't be dissing the PowerPuff Girls. >:(

FinalMasterM
Sep 5, 2002, 02:12 PM
On 2002-09-05 07:28, Alielle wrote:

FinalMasterM, I'm not sure who you're addressing, but that's a pretty weak assumption.

Yes it was and I'm sorry, I had just got home from work and wasn't all here :/ It's just the fact that most people today only want Action/Gore or barely dressed girls running around in their anime today and they are the same people who can't "see" or "understand" the story that is acctually taking place, so they hate animes that don't include what they want.

Also they are the people who say "oh that is a (insert show) rip-off" and act like everything else they've seen has been new.

I dunno where I'm going with this >_>, I just feel it's wrong to judge anime or people who watch curtain anime just becuase you dislike it, read it's bad, or beacuse you feel (or heard) it's a rip-ff of another show. I dunno where that DBZ rant went too (between you and LS) but all I could gather is that you were bashing him for liking it because you disliked it... I dunno... bah *gets ready for work*

DeathCheese87
Sep 5, 2002, 03:09 PM
meh, im getting the anime anyway.

mods, if you feel it is needed, lock this thread.

Alielle
Sep 5, 2002, 06:43 PM
I wasn't bashing anyone. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif And LS bashed me first in the DBZ thread, so I bashed him back. Hmph. But that's history; I don't care about it anymore...

Anyhow, I figured since DeathCheese likes the manga anyway, he'd like the anime regardless. So, I hope you like it, DeathCheese, and sorry about all the arguing.

ABDUR101
Sep 5, 2002, 06:48 PM
On 2002-09-05 16:43, Alielle wrote:
So, I hope you like it, DeathCheese, and sorry about all the arguing.

Hey hey, argueing isn't bad. A good arguement is always welcome. Besides, I think this three page thread worked out nicely..I mean..no one has a gun pointed at someone else =)

*sigh*
If only all threads could end lik*gunshot rings out*

Ziggy-san
Sep 6, 2002, 06:02 AM
On 2002-09-05 00:31, Alielle wrote:

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if someone made an anime series that showed crotch and butt shots of a bunch of hot guys as the girls around him stumble around and accidentally touch him.

The very idea makes me ill. Ill in my tummy. My ill-prone tummy.

On 2002-09-05 01:38, ABDUR101 wrote:

Kehehe!!! Sorry, just reading that makes me laugh ^0^

Now...about that..erm..idea. It sickens me, but stop them from making an anime like that. Maybe...just some sort of people would get some...weird kind of gratification from that...

Oh dammit...I hope I didn't just resusitate this thread...