PDA

View Full Version : Story behind your username/nickname

Oni140
Oct 16, 2005, 02:17 PM
Well I think all of us have a story behind our names http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif They might be our nicknames but anyway:

Mine, well Oni is Japanese for ogre, devil, etc. and well, I can be pretty mean sometimes XD Well actually I'm very nice around here but, to tell the truth, it's a name I was stuck with for a long time.

Oni140 was a portion of "Oni" with three random numbers punched in because the name Oni was already taken >.<. And I didn't really want to have my name oniandy (another one of my nicknames) because I don't like to be called Andy around forums like this XD So well there you have it

CupOfCoffee
Oct 16, 2005, 02:22 PM
"Cup of Coffee" is a song by the band Garbage. It's a very slow, soft, piano-driven song about falling out of love.

One time I was giving this girl I didn't really know a ride home from work, and Cup of Coffee happened to be playing in my car. She said, "You shouldn't listen to such angry music!" I just kinda gave her a weird look, and later told my friends about it. Ever since then, the song Cup of Coffee has been a running injoke between us, because it's totally not an angry song at all.

Badger-sama
Oct 16, 2005, 02:46 PM
Badger's the name of a character I came up with in junior high.

Skorpius
Oct 16, 2005, 02:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpius

All the information is there.

THe K was used because SK are my intitials.

Shattered_weasel
Oct 16, 2005, 03:02 PM
The first part of my name "Shattered" has been my internet name for a loooong ass time. I think I was looking for a new CS name so I could reset my rank on a server and I looked at a window and thought...Shattered. No idea why but it stayed.

The "weasel" part is thanks to polishedweasel. I didn't have a AOL E-mail at the time so I asked if I could use his to sign up here. Well because he was the owner of the E-mail account he said he would create the account. Well turns out he slapped the "weasel" on my name. That now has stuck too.

Neith
Oct 16, 2005, 03:04 PM
Uriko is a character in the Bloody Roar series of games, a girl who can change into a cat.

BB3... well, in all honesty, It should've been BR3 (Bloody Roar 3), but I messed up, and didn't realise until months later. Besides, BB can just stand for Blue Burst I guess >_>

Saiffy
Oct 16, 2005, 03:19 PM
Saiffwin was originally from EQ, random name generator, and I just happened to use it here...

Funny how my main was "Fakn Awesome"(They didn't let me use Fukn) http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Dre_o
Oct 16, 2005, 03:26 PM
The name Dre_o is an altered form of my real name and I really didn't want to use my internet name this time.

My usual internet name, Flemlazoid, came from a couple of years ago when I was preparing to get my XBox live account and I was watching a tv show and something similar to it came up and I thought that was cool so I changed it a little and there you go.

I also use Flemlazoid because I know that I'll never have to put numbers on the end of it like thousands of other people. ^_^

Tact
Oct 16, 2005, 03:31 PM
On 2005-10-16 13:26, Dre_o wrote:
My usual internet name, Flemlazoid, came from a couple of years ago when I was preparing to get my XBox live account and I was watching a tv show and something similar to it[flemlazoid] came up and I thought that was cool so I changed it a little and there you go.

Freakazoid!!! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

My initial username was Giuseppi. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Not really. The name "Tact" is a shortened form of the word "tactician", and since I thought having that long word as a username (plus some numbers) when everyone called me Tact anyway, I figured "Why not ask for a username change?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tact on 2005-10-16 13:32 ]</font>

Scrub
Oct 16, 2005, 04:05 PM
Scrub is what everyone calls me. It started out as an IRL nick name, because I'm a short d00d, and I got it around the time that Majora's Mask came out. :> Me and two of my friends all called each other Scrub, Goron, and Zora, and it stuck so much that people in school just called me Scrub. So no, it isn't an insult, it comes from the Deku variety. ;3

Grey Phantasm is the name I most often use because it's obvious it'll never be taken. I took my obsession with ghosts and my favorite color and combined it into one super-name. <_>

People at my new school call me Jesus though, since there are 3 Joes in our cooking class, they just call me Jesus because apparently I look like him. :3

rena-ko
Oct 16, 2005, 04:12 PM
rena was taken.

FOAtHeart
Oct 16, 2005, 06:47 PM
I saw the phrase "but I'm a FO at heart~" while reading something about PSO, and it stuck with me ;o

no one knows what my name means outside of PSOW, though, they always call me "FOA," and it bothers me ;o;

Outrider
Oct 16, 2005, 07:03 PM
On 2004-08-20 09:05, Outrider wrote:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/outrider/index.html

When I was making my screenname back in middle school, I was really into Shadows of the Empire, the Star Wars game/book/etc. So I used Outrider in it. That's slowly evolved into my username for pretty much everything, as well as the names for a bunch of my characters in different games/stories/etc.

Rei-San
Oct 16, 2005, 07:05 PM
My PSO main character's name is Ray and he's a master swordsman.

Qrrrbrbirbel
Oct 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Mine derives from The Demented Cartoon Movie. It was supposed to be Qrrbrbirbel, but i messed up and added another "r". So yeah. I also wanted to ditch my old "Pyr0freakk" name.

Link00seven
Oct 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
Well, I made this name when I was 11. I went to sign up at Nintendo.com and my two favorite games at the time were Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye 007. So, I took Link and 007 and I was going to use Link007 but it was taken, so my dad suggested I spell out 7 and then my name was Linkooseven. However, last year I changed to Link00seven (changed the o's to zero's) so that people would say my name properly.

There ya go.

PJ
Oct 16, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hmm

SUPAH CHAO, came from something that my friends were watching, I can't remember... Supah Fly (As in, I can't remember where it was from), and of course, my wacky obsession for Chao.

PJ is one of my bajillion RL nicknames, which actually precedes my real name (Philip), because I was gonna be the 4th child, I was a PJ, based on Family Circus (It didn't matter if I was a boy or a girl XD)

Uhhh... if I went through all my nicknames (Scrub, you dork, for giving me the idea ;o), it would take me a long time @_@

Blitzkommando
Oct 16, 2005, 08:09 PM
Way back when I needed an AIM name for chatting with my friends I decided to use some German words to create a 'unique' user name. "Lightning Commando" sounded 'cool' to the twelve year old mind and it stuck. Now, I have come to find out there is some group in the Italian Army that are also called "Blitzkommando". If I had waited a year it probably would have been Russian, and quite possibly, Sturmovik. That's just how it is I suppose. Why is it it all caps though? No clue, I suppose it was an accident but one that has never really made me fix it.

Eihwaz
Oct 16, 2005, 08:38 PM
On 2005-10-16 17:59, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
Hmm

SUPAH CHAO, came from something that my friends were watching, I can't remember... Supah Fly (As in, I can't remember where it was from), and of course, my wacky obsession for Chao.

PJ is one of my bajillion RL nicknames, which actually precedes my real name (Philip), because I was gonna be the 4th child, I was a PJ, based on Family Circus (It didn't matter if I was a boy or a girl XD)

Uhhh... if I went through all my nicknames (Scrub, you dork, for giving me the idea ;o), it would take me a long time @_@

Your parents name their children based on Family Circus? You poor, poor bastard. ;_;

The story behind Eihwaz as my username is kinda convoluted, but here's the lowdown: Back in the summer of 2003, I was joining a forum that a school friend of mine wanted me to join. It was a couple of days after "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" was released, and I was reading it, even as I was signing up for the forum. I needed a username, and I glanced around on the page I was reading.

Hermione mentioned mixing up two runes on her final exam. One of them was Eihwaz.

Me: "Whoa, cool!" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I later discovered it was a real rune and some of the related things. I pronounce it differently than the rune is pronounced, though.

PJ
Oct 16, 2005, 08:43 PM
On 2005-10-16 18:38, Eihwaz wrote:
Your parents name their children based on Family Circus? You poor, poor bastard. ;_;

No, no, just me http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But all our names (Me and my brother's names) come from the Bible (We're a religious family of course >_>). I dunno if that was intentional or not, but yeah, that's how it turned out.

Maridia
Oct 16, 2005, 08:43 PM
Go play Super Metroid and you'll find mine. I love the area, and the music. I'm an enormous fan of any sort of ice/water type area/music in games, so.. Yeah. My sister's nick on irc was Brinstar for awhile XD

<_<

Wyndham
Oct 16, 2005, 09:49 PM
its my middle name.
and i always add 1324 because its a sequence that doesnt seem to have any rules applied, so thus it is not bound by them.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 16, 2005, 10:10 PM
So here's how a guy goes about choosing a name as feminine as "HUnewearl_Meira" for his user name.

Begin, with having a crush on Phantasy Star II's character, "Nei" at the age of 12. Advance about 7 years to the release of PSO on the Dreamcast. Hands down, HUnewearl is the character class of choice when it comes time to use that single VMU that was purchased.

I needed a name. At the time, I was working on a book, and took the name of the local princess: Meira.

Fastforward a couple of months to when I'm toying with the idea of writing a PSO fan fic, and decide to register on the totally awesome PSO Fan Site that I've been using as a reference ever since the game came out. Quite specifically, I wanted a name that would allow people to recognize me from the website, when they find me on the game. This meant ruling out my usual nickname, VanGarrett, or its pun-tastic Phantasy Star-themed mutation, PhanGarrett. So I chose a practical, descriptive name: HUnewearl_Meira.

As far as the name "VanGarrett" is concerned, that goes back to an odd conversation I had with a friend, back in High School. My friend, with no musical talent at all, suggested that we start a band. Being named "Garrett" and also being a fan of Van Halen, I replied to him, "What are we going to call it? Van Garrett?" Soon thereafter, my father's paranoia caused him to insist that I change my AOL screen name, and "VanGarrett" just stood out in my head.

Then on IRC, I tend to go by the name "Mota Storm", which is the name of my RAcast. Those with the combined knowledge of the original Phantasy Star series and global politics of the early 90's should be able to figure that one out.

Saiffy
Oct 16, 2005, 10:22 PM
On 2005-10-16 18:43, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:

On 2005-10-16 18:38, Eihwaz wrote:

No, no, just me http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But all our names (Me and my brother's names) come from the Bible (We're a religious family of course >_>). I dunno if that was intentional or not, but yeah, that's how it turned out.

Just to add, since PJ isn't... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

They came up with the initials PJ first, and well, not many P named out there(Seriously, Pedro Joseph?) http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ABDUR101
Oct 16, 2005, 10:34 PM
Abdur, arabic for "slave/servant"". 101, no meaning, but for any combination of number that is chosen at random, why not "one-oh-one"?

Shadowpawn
Oct 16, 2005, 10:42 PM
Name was originaly Shadow, turns out someguy all ready had Shadow as an SN. So I added pawn to the end of it to get this somewhat unique name.

EJ
Oct 16, 2005, 10:43 PM
Started on PSO for cube as a Fomar then I stumbled around this site and just combined my character class with my nickname that was given to me since I was 1.

Thus ForceEJ was born.

Zelutos
Oct 16, 2005, 11:14 PM
Zelutos is my role play brother..so i stole his name. My roleplay name is Lithium...but i dunno if that would have had the same cool effect as Zelutos D;

PhantomAlpha
Oct 16, 2005, 11:43 PM
Uh, some Megaman RP thing sometime ago that I never even really got into. Just made the name up for it and forgot then moved here.

Stan
Oct 17, 2005, 12:28 PM
Because it's my name http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mixfortune
Oct 17, 2005, 12:37 PM
On 2004-08-20 08:31, Mixfortune wrote:
I sat down for a while thinking of something that sounded good at the time.

Exciting, I know.

Sharkyland
Oct 17, 2005, 12:43 PM
Sharkyland is the name of my guardian angel.

digigram
Oct 17, 2005, 12:47 PM
digigram is a nickname of diagram, the guy who runs the record label I am on calls me it when we're hanging out.

Madzozs
Oct 17, 2005, 01:34 PM
First initial, last name backwards. Voila.

My AIM name(HookersAndSteaks) comes from an interview with Mike Patton. He was asked about what he did with all his free time after Faith No More ended and he replied that he hasn't had free time. He has been doing side projects 2 or 3 at a time. He wasn't just sitting in a hotel room chilling with Hookers and eating Steaks.

Sef
Oct 17, 2005, 11:12 PM
I don't think I posted in this...

But my name is Josef.

Hmm?

InfinityXXX
Oct 17, 2005, 11:37 PM
My name is was suppose to be Infinity but someone already had it so I added XXX. I use the Infinity symbol to refrence myself on all my school papaers. I think Infinity is just a cool name.

To Sef: Sef is a popular boys name in some african tribe, i forgets which one.

Sayara
Oct 17, 2005, 11:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/TwinkleB.png You see, my name is a bunch of mistakes in a row,

This girl you see above you is from Bust a Move 99, her name is Chincle. At the time i made tingle, i did not know this. And thought she was called Tingle. So i named her that way, the Tingle costume never imiatated the girl you see above, just her hat.
Turns out after i made tingle, i learned her name is all over the place!
Chincle, Twinkle, Tingle, Tinkle, Chinkulu (well this one is just Chincle pronounced). And since tingle was already 110 at the time (and i liked greenil) i kept her this way.

Let me mention
When i named Tingle, tingle. I had no knowledge of the Zelda Tingle, or the Teaching Mrs Tingle. So don't ask!! n.n

You gotta admit she is cute XD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/NewIcoy.png

Hmm, Usada my other character is totally based on Usad/RabienRose, yeah alittle unoriginal but hey XD

And No. 7(my msn name) is the cumalitive total of edits my other side character (Koopa, thing [he's in the Happy Easter Picture with tingle on his shoulders!!]). Plus No. 7 is by the Sweaters and is a good song.

Going off a tangent: I use to think Abdullah is God's slave. Good ol Arabic eh? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tingle on 2005-10-17 21:58 ]</font>

SubstanceD
Oct 18, 2005, 01:17 AM
Where did SubstanceD come from?

Well, there's a Phillip K. Dick book called A Scanner Darkly. In the book there's a super drug called Substance D ( nick named Death ) which is the most dangerous drug in the world, it destroys the links between the brains 2 hemispheres, leading first to disorientation and then to complete and irreversible brain damage.

I kinda picked the SubstanceD thing right out the blue. I could have easily have called myself something else ( The default name I was going to use was Zero but I knew that someone out there probably already had that user name ).

Dana
Oct 18, 2005, 04:06 AM
Dana..http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif was taken
_ranger, because Dana is a ranger ???^^

LoveAndLunacy
Oct 18, 2005, 04:50 AM
Well mine is how i feel most of the time, either loving or on lunatic fringe. Plus it the name of an album of one of my favourite bands at the minute.

Cecil liceC

Kizaragu
Oct 18, 2005, 07:34 AM
I was insanely bored at the time and had just borrowed my friends copy of PSO for the dreamcast.
I was stuck on a name at the time for my character and was inspired by my cat Kizzie. (Oh the humiliation)

That's the official story anyway.

The non-official reason I use (to sound more manly and cool) is that I got it from Akira. There's a scene at the start during the bike chase, when someone's heard yelling out "Their heading down Kisaragu street!"
I now tell people in real life this is where I got it. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I'm also known as Mashu (My name roughly in Japanese) online.

Kuea
Oct 18, 2005, 07:45 AM
They is yummy.

Larian
Oct 18, 2005, 11:02 AM
On 2005-10-18 05:45, Eclair wrote:
They is yummy.

Yes they are!!! =D

Oni140
Oct 18, 2005, 04:13 PM
On 2005-10-18 09:02, Larian wrote:

On 2005-10-18 05:45, Eclair wrote:
They is yummy.

Yes they are!!! =D

Can't fight about that XD

I thought Tingle's name was from those things from the Legend of Zelda series...

Sayara
Oct 18, 2005, 04:57 PM
On 2005-10-17 21:52, Tingle wrote:
Let me mention
When i named Tingle, tingle. I had no knowledge of the Zelda Tingle, or the Teaching Mrs Tingle. So don't ask!! n.n

You gotta admit she is cute XD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/NewIcoy.png

Guntz348
Oct 18, 2005, 06:47 PM
On 2005-10-16 17:48, Link00seven wrote:
Well, I made this name when I was 11. I went to sign up at Nintendo.com and my two favorite games at the time were Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye 007. So, I took Link and 007 and I was going to use Link007 but it was taken, so my dad suggested I spell out 7 and then my name was Linkooseven. However, last year I changed to Link00seven (changed the o's to zero's) so that people would say my name properly.

There ya go.

I still read your name as link-Oh!-Oh!-seven... meh.

As for my name just a long time fan of the Shining Force games and Guntz was one of my faverites so I used that as my name. The 348 is just the number I've used on my accounts that needed something because just the name was taken. I originally had a Guntz account but I lost the PW and didn't want to bother getting it fixed so I just made a new one =P

tbmes11
Oct 18, 2005, 07:08 PM
tbmes11 is a name I came up with when I was 18 back in the AOL dial-up days.

tbmes stands for the words "to be my evil self" and 11 is my basketball jersey number in honor of my favorite player Isiah Thomas.

EphekZ
Oct 18, 2005, 08:13 PM
Darkgunner-I really have no idea....

and my name I use now is EphekZ which is from my favorite techno band type people...Apexx Twins I didnt like the twins part and screwed with aphexx.

Larian
Oct 18, 2005, 08:55 PM
Well...When I got my copy of PSO on the Dreamcast(Pre-Street btw...But I have to keep that quiet!)...I typed some ramdom letters into the name screen and looked at them for a minute. Larian was the result! And i've stuck with it since. =P