PDA

View Full Version : Availibity of Progressive Scan in the PS2 version

watashiwa
Oct 16, 2005, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know if Progressive Scan will be supported as a display option in PSU for the PS2? (Playing games in Progressive Scan makes a world of difference for graphics *points at the Tekken series on PS2, Star Ocean Till the End of Time, God of War, and the other various PS2 games that support it..)

I'm trying to find an e-mail address to inquire them or make the request to them directly (a long shot of them responding back), but for some reason having difficulty. So, if you have the address, could you post it here?

Although there's quite a bit less PS2 games that support Progressive Scan when compared to the Gamecube and especially the XBox, the PS2 *can* support it. So, it would be really awesome if they added it in.

Thanks in advance.

Omega_Nova
Oct 16, 2005, 06:09 PM
Star Ocean also often had three fingers stuck together on characters, I'd prefer a larger game rather than progressive scan.

watashiwa
Oct 16, 2005, 09:05 PM
On 2005-10-16 16:09, Omega_Nova wrote:
I'd prefer a larger game rather than progressive scan.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you have any clue at all?

The PS2 pretty much only runs in two modes, either 480i or 480p.

480i is the standard resolution most games run in. But, since it's interlaced, half of the vertical resolution is lost.

To get technical on it, 60fps gaming is achieved through interlacing by putting two halfs of a frame into one interlaced frame. So, you pretty much get two 640x240 frames in one interlaced frame. So, you're really only getting 30 full frames per second, although it's deinterlaced to 60fps by doubling the vertical resolution from the halved frames.

Since PS2 really does have 480 lines to work with, offering progressive scan in games enables the HDTV, VGABox, or whatever you use to support progressive scanning to display 60 FULL 640x480 frames per second. Which improves the visual quality quite a bit.

I don't even know why you were getting at Star Ocean's sprites. The display mode has nothing to do with the game or how "large" it is.

PS2 can also semi-support 1080i, as demonstrated by Gran Tourismo 4, but that is really just 480p upscaled to 1080i.

Not including progressive scan support in PSU is pretty stupid, actually, especially since I am going to be playing it for a long time. I'd rather it look as good as it can look on the system I'm playing it for.

Rion772
Oct 16, 2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah...ummm I only understood about 3/4 of that whole thing...

LockeLionhart
Oct 24, 2005, 12:02 PM
Is there some kind of list that tells which games support progressive scan?

I just got a component cable so I can play Shadow of the Colossus (Awesome game!) in hi-def.

And, I noticed some games have progressive scan but don't say it on the box--I really don't want to go through all my games to find out, considering it's a real pain doing this on a projector that will only display things if they are hi-def. ><

DarK-SuN
Oct 24, 2005, 12:21 PM
Appart from using Sonic Team's email or SEGA's email, I don't have any other possible contact.

In interviews it was said PSU for the PS2 would not have progressive scan nor widescreen support.
I'm pretty sure they have good reasons, or they're just being lazy.