PDA

View Full Version : I NEED A GOOD BOOK RECOMMENDATION! FAST! (novel)

Dabra
Sep 3, 2002, 09:21 PM
Preferably 150-250 pages, any sort of novel other than police/crime ones. Nor popular, known books like harry potter, or stephen king stuff (600 pages *gasp*).

I need to buy the book by friday and i so want you guys to recomment me one since i can't find any good book review sites. Well not because of that but i love you! Well maybe not that...or maybe so (...) both.

Anywho i'm counting on you to not recommend me some book with a german title meaning teletubbies of sorts, i don't want to end up presenting a green and purple ferret in front of the class.

PS: If you know the french translation of the novel's title, would be greatly appreciated since i have to read a french one, but post any, i'll find the suited edition anyway.

ABDUR101
Sep 3, 2002, 09:30 PM
I remember reading "The Giver" in school. I forget how many pages it has.

pfft, books..who the hell reads books anymore?! =X

LollipopLolita
Sep 3, 2002, 09:36 PM
my best all time recommendation

me speak pretty one day by david sedaris. has sex drugs and rock and roll.

Danger_Girl
Sep 3, 2002, 09:55 PM
I would recomend a book by the name of Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. Technically it might break your rule of being popular, as it does have a rather large fan base. But its entertaining, and only around 250 pages. Its a quick read.

Oh! And since the title of the book is a proper noun, you wouldn't have to worry about translating the title to French.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Danger_Girl on 2002-09-03 19:59 ]</font>

Spy
Sep 3, 2002, 09:57 PM

It's the scariest book you'll ever read.

Psylocke
Sep 4, 2002, 02:29 AM
I can recommend several good books.
Beyond the Burning Time by Kathryn Lasky. It's exactly 272 pages and a wonderful book.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor 279 pages, I believe. Another great book.

Geez, this is hard. Most of my books are much longer than that. I was going to recommend Naked In Death by J.D. Robb, but you said no cop/crime novels...does that include futuristic (2058) crime/mystery/suspense/ romance novels as well? Probably. I don't care for cop/crime novels, either, but a friend turned me on to the In Death series and I love it!

Anyway, other good books you might be interested...
Wolf By the Ears by Ann Rinaldi. One of my favorite books. 248 pages, if I remember correctly.

However, if you need to get it in French, it'd be easiest to nab The Hunchback of Notre Dame or The Count of Monte Cristo or Phantom of the Opera or, my personal favorite, Les Miserables. 'Sup to you. Good luck.
By the way, I'd be happy to tell you what any of these books are about if you're interested. *grin*

pixelate
Sep 4, 2002, 02:38 AM
On 2002-09-03 19:36, LollipopLolita wrote:
my best all time recommendation

me speak pretty one day by david sedaris. has sex drugs and rock and roll.

I second that.

Can't pass up David's sister watching women on the Internet in heels crush men's testicles. And the "Fuck It" bucket. And bearded sandwiches.

Ashtray!

Deathscythealpha
Sep 4, 2002, 01:08 PM
Read a Terry Pratchett book, there very funny and make sense in a starnge, slightly backwards way. Mort is a good one, so the Thief of Time.

ChibiMyu
Sep 4, 2002, 01:56 PM
On 2002-09-03 19:57, Spy wrote:

It's the scariest book you'll ever read.

I liked that book so much I read it 3 times. It also reminds me of The Giver. I've been trying to read Brave New World (which is also supposed to be similar), but I never got around to it.

KodiaX987
Sep 4, 2002, 03:33 PM
Try www.fritures.com (yes, exact title!) by Pierre Revelin. It's pretty short, it's Quebecker, and overall really funny. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ginko990
Sep 4, 2002, 04:21 PM
Rondevouz with Rama-Arthur C clark

Time to Hunt-Stephen Hunter

Icebound-Dean Coontz

Dabra
Sep 4, 2002, 04:44 PM
Wow thanks for the recommendations, i'll probably check them all out while i'm at it, after all i got 9 months to read just one book http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Abdur: Meh, that explains why you never go to the fanfic section http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Lolita: Hmm...well i would definetly get a lot of support from my fellow classmates, especially if it's about controversial crap. But i'd be scared to talk about my book to my all-so-cultural teacher of mine.

Danger girl: I think i heard about that book but i'm not sure the aeverage reader in Quebec (francophone area) has heard about it. I'll definetly check it out.

Spy and ChibiMyu: Looks like a good book, i'm fond of history books and am pretty interested in the WW2 era, even though it might be a little harsh. A must-see for me.

Psylocke: Haha, Les miserables is also my all time favorite http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif (made even a topic about it a while back) Just the way it's written with it's look into a "poor" community makes it all so rich. I have to admit i haven't read much books but i still doubt Miserables is beatable by any other classic. Burning Time looks interesting. Death, witches, lies, my kinda thing. I'm taking your word for the rest since i'm going to borrow them for a while, you seem like a good reader/picker(?). Sup to you to ^_~;;;

Pixelate: I think i'll read that book in my free time, looks pretty modern and cool.

DeathScytheAlpha: well i don't know what you mean by a "backwards" way, but looks like a weird, but yet sleek way of writing, and Thief of time looks not bad.

Kodiax: Lol, hopefully my teacher will appreciate it, i'll check it out http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ginko990: Did you mean "rendezvous"? if it's a french book, it's even better, i'll pick it up.

Thanks again guys http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

TedEdFred
Sep 5, 2002, 12:59 AM
Am I late?
Anyway Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs is good book.