PDA

View Full Version : Attention, all Wal-Mart customers...

Kent
Oct 19, 2005, 09:44 PM
...There are now playable Xbox 360s in stores.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8119/xbox360controller9eo.jpg

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7696/xbox360display1wn.jpg

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/5585/xbox360system6bo.jpg

Hrigg
Oct 19, 2005, 09:50 PM
I am now going to Wal-Mart more often.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

TheOneHero
Oct 19, 2005, 09:53 PM
Excellent.

I've been wanting to see if this can be my new dinner table for eight. It'll be nice to see how it plays, my old dinner table doesn't play as well as it use to.

Though, it does seat quite a few people.

Hell, it's big enough for a bed.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kent
Oct 19, 2005, 10:02 PM
...Actually, it's slightly smaller than the Xbox.

And it has actual green lights on the controller and console. And not that neon yellow-green color that original had, either.

The controller was awesome. The triggers were set a little low, but not as low as the horrible controller S' triggers were, and you no longer have to inflict pain on yourself to press the black, white, start, or back buttons. :/

Solstis
Oct 19, 2005, 10:08 PM
If it only had games that I wanted that weren't also on the PC!

Well, other than Perfect Dark.

Kent
Oct 19, 2005, 10:19 PM
...What are you talking about? There are plenty of games coming out for the Xbox 360 that aren't going to be on PC, or any other system.

Reenee
Oct 19, 2005, 10:20 PM
...Actually, it's slightly smaller than the Xbox.

With the bulk of the power supply convieniently set into a box outside of the unit. You really didn't think the Mac mini was a miracle, did you? =P

Waiting for storiees of broken-into Wal-Marts soon...

Blitzkommando
Oct 19, 2005, 10:28 PM
Like, yays? Good to know we can try it out in stores before release though. Still, I think I'll buy me one of thoes Athlon 64 FX53 chips first. Then probably wait a year for the price to drop and for more games to come out for it.

ABDUR101
Oct 19, 2005, 10:29 PM
Wal-Marts are open 24/7, aren't they? The Super-Center they have in town here is.

I still don't care enough to make a trip to Wal-mart just to see it or attempt to play it. Everytime I go to Wal-mart and there's something interesting to look at, there are five, really annoying kids that you can't seem to identify anyone as having actually had them, nor who will claim ownership or responsibility.

...thankfully I always leave before I erupt and start beating asses. =]

"oh..no no, can't go down that aisle, too many kids to trip over.."

But anyway, what demos did they have on show on the console?

Kent
Oct 19, 2005, 10:31 PM
I only had time to play through the Call of Duty 2 demo before I had to head back, but there were also King Kong and Kameo as playable demos, and a ton of videos to watch.

All in HD, of course.

Larian
Oct 19, 2005, 11:01 PM
WOOT...and I have a friend that works at the one by me too!! OOOHHHH OMG...Also the cute chick she wants to hook me up with works there. Aw crap...I have an excuse to go over there now! =/ =P

Skett
Oct 21, 2005, 03:56 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000753064065/

A reader in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin wrote to tell us that his local Wal-Mart has a playable Xbox 360 on display with demos of Call of Duty 2, Kameo, and King Kong. There are also looping videos of other games. We called that Wal-Mart to confirm and were told by the person working in electronics that this is in fact true. According to him, ?Wal-Marts are going to be the first stores to have Xbox 360s.? He said that a Microsoft representative came by and just decided to set up an Xbox 360 in Sun Prairie. Go figger.

The Philadelphia, PA store does NOT have an Xbox 360 yet. Does your local Wal-Mart have playable Xbox 360s? To find out:

Go to walmart.com
Enter your zipcode in the ?Store Finder? on the bottom of the left-most column
Call the number listed, and ask to be transferred to electronics
Ask!
Post an update here and let us know.
Confirmed at:

Huntsville, AL (call ahead! one reader couldn?t find it)
Benton, AR
Rogers, AR
Bakersfield, CA
Elk Grove, CA (pending setup)
Highlands Ranch, CO
Naugatuck, CT (maybe not? call ahead)
New Milford, CT
Ames, IA
Davenport, IA (soon)
Dubuque, IA
Boise, ID
Moscow, ID
Addison, IL
DeKalb, IL
Palatine, IL
Peoria, IL (pending setup)
Carmel, IN (pending setup)
Indianapolis, IN
Kendallville, IN
Terre Haute, IN
Lawrence, KS
Clairmont, NH (pending setup)
Lebanon, NH (pending setup)
Louisville, KY
Sanford, ME
Eldersburg, MD
Owings Mills, MD (pending setup)
Columbia, Missouri (pending setup)
Lansing, MI
Ypsilanti, MI
Coon Rapids, MN
Fridley, MN
Hastings, MN
Hermantown, MN
St. Anthony, MN (call ahead! one reader couldn?t find it)
Farmington, MO (on Monday)
Harrisonville, MO
Fulton, MS
Pascagoula, MS (pending setup)
Lincoln, NE
Neptune, NJ
Phillipsburg, NJ
Secaucus, NJ (by Friday)
Tunersville, NJ (by Friday)
Grove, OK
Stillwater, OK
Clackamas, OR (pending setup)
State College, PA
Myrtle Beach, SC
Chattanooga, TN
Kingsport, TN
Layton, UT (pending setup)
Colonial Heights, VA
Auburn, WA
Kennewick, WA
Lacey, WA
Spokane, WA
Eau Claire, WI
Hudson, WI
Sun Prairie, WI
Barboursville, WV

Looks like the closest Walmart that has 360 is in Lansing. Well, I'll check mine anyways.

DarkEliteRico
Oct 22, 2005, 12:54 PM
closest ones to me

Benton, AR
Rogers, AR

noooooot cool

Kent
Oct 22, 2005, 03:07 PM
Gah... I need to go back to Wal-Mart just to grope that controller some more. :/

Blitzkommando
Oct 22, 2005, 04:33 PM
O_o; Just went by the one here in Centerville, aka nowheresville, Ohio and they had a 360 set up. I wouldn't take that list as complete and try closer places first. Did I play it? Nah, too many little kiddies playing around with it oogling over the box.

Kent
Oct 22, 2005, 08:44 PM
I went in and played the Kameo demo tonight, which was pretty good... Then I got distracted by some kid, who couldn't have been older than 5, jabbing both screens of the display DS violently, for no apparent reason. Metroid Prime Pinball was in there... Does that even use the stylus?

Also, both the Call of Duty 2 and King Kong demos are available for download of the PC demo, which is the same as the Xbox 360 one, just not as pretty, and no Xbox 360 controller (unless you buy one, they're available for purchase now, and they work with PCs).

ABDUR101
Oct 22, 2005, 09:03 PM
Actually I've heard that CoD2 for the PC doesn't allow any controllers other than mouse and keyboard.

Sef
Oct 22, 2005, 09:10 PM
On 2005-10-22 18:44, Kent wrote:
Then I got distracted by some kid, who couldn't have been older than 5, jabbing both screens of the display DS violently, for no apparent reason. Metroid Prime Pinball was in there... Does that even use the stylus?

Ugh, the DS at my Walmart... It's horrible, both screens are pretty much all white from the scratches... And when I played Metroid Prime Pinball, I didn't use the stylus... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I have seen a 360 at my Walmart, although I heard the guys next door (Rhino's) tell one of their employees they could go play the 360 demo... >_>

Kent
Oct 23, 2005, 12:32 AM
On 2005-10-22 19:03, ABDUR101 wrote:
Actually I've heard that CoD2 for the PC doesn't allow any controllers other than mouse and keyboard.

It's pretty easy to map mouse and keyboard functions to a controller.

Case in point, I played Maple Story solely using my PC gamepad. Not that I condone such a thing, playing Maple Story...