PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube PSO Episode I & II Sales Projections:

Cube
Sep 4, 2002, 02:30 PM
How many units do you think the game will sell worldwide?

My Prediction...

275,000+ JP
375,000+ US
150,000+ EU

in total... about 800,000 not bad at all heh.

sonicblue
Sep 4, 2002, 02:36 PM
You didn't provide a timespan, so I figured "ever." That's why I voted for "Over 1,000,000" becuase it will hit that mark eventually.

Cube
Sep 4, 2002, 02:37 PM
sales projections are usually estimated over a period of 4 Quarters. (1 Year)

rbf2000
Sep 4, 2002, 03:37 PM
I don't think the US will sell more games than Japan...

l337_h4xOr
Sep 4, 2002, 03:59 PM
I doubt it will do really well in the US. Peripherals tend to do very poorly in the states (historical). I think this will especially hold true because it's like the only game that will use the modem for the next year or so.

Rich_T
Sep 4, 2002, 04:19 PM
Europen release?
the games not even scheduled for release in europe, and im having doubts if it will ever see a European PAL release at all, Infogames, who publish segas software in europe havent heard anything about it from sega and nintendo are equaly clueless.
So looks like i might have to import if i want PSO, but will it be worth it the package (game , modem, keyboard) will probably cost around £130

Parn
Sep 4, 2002, 07:57 PM
Actually, the more important question is, how many people will go online?

I anticipate the US and EU servers to be relatively barren compared to the JP servers. Reasoning is simple... peripherals tend to sell like crap. Since PSO is not a mainstream game, and the modem/BBA will be used for one game at the moment, it is highly unlikely that your average GameCube owner is going to pick up a peripheral.

If Sony, whom has sold more PS2s in the US than the Xbox and GameCube has sold worldwide COMBINED isn't very confident of bringing their peripherals here for the PS2, then I'd say the number of people online will be less than the Dreamcast days in their peak.

The online fee to play doesn't exactly help things either.

GhoStar
Sep 4, 2002, 08:34 PM
Parn makes a good point. The game is a much better candidate for a stand-alone mutliplayer/one-player game this time 'round. I'm going to predict around 750,000 worldwide, and 350,000 registered online.

Here's some figures for you fact fans out there (as I remember them; some read a year ago). Shortly after release in all three regions on the DC (so between December [JP] and February [EU]) there were over 400,000 online subscribers to PSO V1. A very impressive figure seeing as how the DC was at a controversial part of its life. Notably Japan accounted for almost 40% of those people.

Sales of V1 in Japan, according to Sega = around 200,000 (possinly not all sold-through). Sales of V2 = 180,000.

In the US, sales of PSO after its first full month on sale equalled 140,000 according to NPD. Sales of V2 to date in the US = 45,000.

Cube
Sep 4, 2002, 09:52 PM
The Modem will not be an issue. Trust me.

Anyone interested in buying an online game very well knows you need a damn modem to connect to the internet with. Today alone I sold 8 PS2 BBA's. Our whole shipment. Yes, add-ons usually dont sell very well, however this has never been tested with online games. If online gaming is the next big thing, the modem wont be an issue.

As for the EU. Heh, well... that sucks for you guys I guess. If it doesnt come to Europe, damn. But if it does, heck, all the better. You guys allways get the short end of the stick lol.

l337_h4xOr
Sep 4, 2002, 10:06 PM
there is more then one title comming out for PS2 online though. Nintendo only has one for the forseeable future.

Cube
Sep 4, 2002, 10:11 PM
If PSO isnt enough to warrent purchasing a 30 dollar modem, the I dont know what game is.

but then you have to figure in Madden 2004, and all the other online sports games. Nintendo does have some possible online games in the works too. But I dont think we'll see any REAL online only games till mid to late 2003. But knowing that the modem is there and ready to be used is pretty relaxing anyways.

Wewt
Sep 4, 2002, 10:29 PM
Well, like it was stated before, PSO isn't a mainstream game. It will never have the ability to sell like Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda. PSO has many fans, always will. I think this game will always remain a "cult" game.

350,000 registered online, are you sure on that figure?

The most I've ever seen on PSO at once was around 30,000. Obviously not all 350,000 will be on at the same time, but I think it'll be quite a lot less than that. Maybe 250,000 at most.

Cube
Sep 4, 2002, 10:40 PM
From what I understand the total accumulated sales of PSO have sold far beyond 500,000 units.

350,000 online? Thats it? I thought it was more...

l337_h4xOr
Sep 4, 2002, 10:56 PM
On 2002-09-04 20:11, Cube wrote:
If PSO isnt enough to warrent purchasing a 30 dollar modem, the I dont know what game is.

You and I think so for sure, however most gamers sadly do not.

Spy
Sep 4, 2002, 11:18 PM
PSO? What the heck is that? I thought everyone just used this board because they had nothing better to do.

Conspiracy I swear...

Cube
Sep 5, 2002, 08:05 AM
On 2002-09-04 21:18, Spy wrote:
I thought everyone just used this board because they had nothing better to do.

Conspiracy I swear...

Nah... these forums have been handed down to us by the above, in order to bitch smack and put n00b f00ls like Lt Dick Dawg, Sleet, Blaiz, and spy in check. XD

Booya!

GhoStar
Sep 5, 2002, 10:31 AM
Well, like it was stated before, PSO isn't a mainstream game. It will never have the ability to sell like Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda. PSO has many fans, always will. I think this game will always remain a "cult" game.
Kind of ironic then that in Japan, where both PSO DC and FFXI PS2 have been released and PSO has proved much more popular, even on the DCs paltry userbase.

Oh, and here's proof of PSO on the Dreamcast's success.

400,000 subscribers to Sega's Dreamcast online RPG Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) proves that online gaming is not PC exclusive, however the recent launch of Square's ambitious PlayOnline service (along with the release of Final Fantasy XI) also showed how easily big problems can arise, and at a time when PC users around the world have been already fighting their way through the worlds of MMORPGs a la Everquest or Diablo 2 for years.
That actually included V2, too. My bad...

Source (http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials.html).

Parn
Sep 5, 2002, 11:19 AM
What the...

...people actually read those editorial columns? I might have to hurry and get that next update uploaded then. Heh.

TeamPhalanx
Sep 5, 2002, 11:34 AM
I doubt it'll sell over 500,000 copies within an one year span.

Had it been released for the PS2, it would have had a shot at the one million mark, but given the platform and the genre, I just don't see it selling well.

GhoStar
Sep 5, 2002, 12:03 PM
We'll see... but it was Sony who put all their eggs in one basket and was left with online-only FFXI falling way below expectations. Atleast PSO has a shot at the offline market, and I see it doing over 500,000 within a years time, which is generally considered a success, especially for the kind of franchise it is.

Even Sonic Adventure 2: Battle managed to sell over a million on the Gamecube alone, so there's a Sonic Team fanbase growing, I suspect.

Malkavian
Sep 5, 2002, 12:05 PM
With 6 or more timesless hardware sold PSO can do it better than FFXI

Wewt
Sep 5, 2002, 01:24 PM
Maybe it was a step too far bringing an online only game like FFXI to a console at this time. There are still many people that are sceptical towards online gaming.

I hope PSO becomes an even bigger hit this time, with a console that actually has a future. There will always be the old Dreamcast players that will always bring up the fact that PSO was cheated so badly in the past, it might happen again and they'll refuse to buy it. So there's a big portion of the Dreamcast's fanbase not willing to buy it.

GhoStar, you was right about FFXI. Big franchise games will normally sell a lot better though. PSO is still pretty much an unheard of game for some. Everybody that plays games will know about Final Fantasy or Zelda(well, maybe not everybody, but a lot).

Ness
Sep 5, 2002, 03:28 PM
Chances are it will. PSO Ep. 1 and 2 will do far better than it's dreamcast counterpart because not only will old fans be returning, but new ones that didn't play the Dreamcast version will buy it as well.
Though PSO will do well, I doubt it will do as well as FFXI. That game has just gotten too much hype and too many people bought PS2 for that game not now outsell PSO ep 1 and 2.

TeamPhalanx
Sep 5, 2002, 07:35 PM
Odds are GC PSO will outsell FFXI, but not by much. It takes less than $100 to go online with PSO, but around $200 to go online with FFXI (assuming you have both consoles).

Agent_Reav
Sep 5, 2002, 09:34 PM
I doubt many Gamecube gamers are willing to embrace online gaming. I look at the key demographic for GC and I just can't picture it having a roaring success... It is a fantastic game but I think that since this is a PSO board we're gonna obviously get unreal opinions.

Wewt
Sep 5, 2002, 09:44 PM
On 2002-09-05 19:34, Agent_Reav wrote:
I doubt many Gamecube gamers are willing to embrace online gaming. I look at the key demographic for GC and I just can't picture it having a roaring success... It is a fantastic game but I think that since this is a PSO board we're gonna obviously get unreal opinions.

Apart from the lack of online games available, why do you think GameCube owners won't be willing to embrace online gaming?

Cube
Sep 5, 2002, 10:07 PM
Gamecube gamers wont embrace online gaming?

PSO is an established franchise. hell it sold about half a million copies by word of mouth alone.

I'm a gamecube gamer, and I plan on embracing online gaming... I highly doubt you can predict what every gamer will and will not buy.

Gamecube PSO will sell better than Dreamcast PSO. Why? 3 Reasons.

#1.) PSO is not an unknown game. People know about it, DC PSOers will buy it, as will new GC gamers.

#2)Its the ONLY online game for Gamecube right now. What else are gamecube online fanatics going to purchase.

#3) Its on a successfull Next Generation system. DC was an awesome system, but many people didnt buy it because they heard of PS2 coming up or GC or Xbox. Nintendo has the name, system, and now... the game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

l337_h4xOr
Sep 5, 2002, 10:14 PM
On 2002-09-05 11:24, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
Maybe it was a step too far bringing an online only game like FFXI to a console at this time. There are still many people that are sceptical towards online gaming.

I think the problem lies more in the fact that the HDD is required. They are almost impossible to get. FFXI really would have been a better xbox live title... but that is another debate all together hehe.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Sep 5, 2002, 10:28 PM
I mean, I'd love playing FFXI online, but the fact that I have to purchase a hard drive makes me not want to.

Spy
Sep 5, 2002, 10:43 PM
C'mon guys. Really. Let's drop all this "PSO" BS. It's getting scary. Come back to the real world. A world where "Online Console Gaming" just doesn't exist.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spy on 2002-09-05 20:45 ]</font>

Wewt
Sep 6, 2002, 11:04 AM
On 2002-09-05 20:14, 1337_h4xOr wrote:
FFXI really would have been a better xbox live title... but that is another debate all together hehe.

Of course. I believe every online game would be best on the Xbox, but there's all that anti-Microsoft crap. So people would always think twice about Xbox.

Alisha
Sep 6, 2002, 01:48 PM
first person shooters <<<<ORPG's

teh lish has spoken