PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Colossus

AUTO_
Oct 21, 2005, 06:04 PM
Anyone played it?

I just beat it, and I was very impressed, definitely Game of the Year impressed.

If anyone else has beat it, there's something I want to bring up that is kind of my own little theory, but I'll save the spoilers for now.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 22, 2005, 12:44 PM
You have already beaten it, in err. 3 days?

Its that short if you just rush through then?

I have yet to pick up a copy.

Same store that was sold out of Castlevania was sold out of this game as well.

Outrider
Oct 22, 2005, 10:02 PM
Well, I've beaten about five colossi right now, and I must say, it's really sweet.

Definitely a must play.

PhantomAlpha
Oct 26, 2005, 09:59 AM
Aye.

A friend of mine bought it last week and I got to play up until making my way to the 10th colossus. I will hopefully buy it this weekend.

One of the best games I've played.

AUTO_
Oct 31, 2005, 12:00 AM
Yeah if any of you have beat it yet I'm sure you have some theories of your own.

That is, if you're familiar with the developer.

Even though the replay value is a little thin (that could also be the Socom 3 in me talking), I personally think this is one of the most moving games ever.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 1, 2005, 02:26 AM
I'm only finished with the third boss.

I can't figure out where the fourth one is.

The "beyond the graveyard" clue isn't helping me much.

Also the sword's reflection isn't working in this dark area with a large body of water.

I haven't been this stuck in a game in a long time. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif
-
I kind of had a theory about the game before it was released. I had just played the demo and I read a few reviews. The story aspects weren't talked about besides the big ending.

I was thinking if these characters are in the same world as Ico, or if these characters are descendents or ancestors of Ico and his female counterpart in that game. I have forgotten her name at the moment. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I should play Ico and finish that first then this game though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-10-31 23:27 ]</font>

Outrider
Nov 1, 2005, 11:22 AM
I've since beaten the game, and I get the feeling that I know exactly what AUTO's theory is going to be about. I can't say I'm sure if the implication in the ending is true, or the developer just has a thing for certain themes. I'll refrain from saying anything more specific so as to not ruin the game for others.

But yeah, everybody should play this game. It's a terrific game, and it's very moving. Absolutely a work of art. Just as good as ICO, if not better.

Do yourselves a favor and play Shadow of the Colossus, even if you just rent it. The game is relatively short, so you could conceivably beat it in a weekend.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 2, 2005, 09:18 PM
I figured out where to go.

I was in the 5th boss' area instead of the 4th.

I finished # 6 as well. Tried #7 and will go back to that lake to try again later. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
-

Small spoiler:

How much is the HP bar's maximum limit that you improve by picking up the fruits/white tailed lizards?

Finding out that I could knock fruit out of trees by bow&arrow to pick up for more max HP was a nice touch.

Also picking up the tail after killing the lizards who inhabit the save points does the same(?) or does it increase grip strength?

Nidarrock
Nov 4, 2005, 10:39 PM
Playing it and loving it! A fantastic game, and an amazing piece of art. About 1/2 through so far, and I'm very happy about the length. Games that are this great and are roughly 10 hours are worth to replay over and over again. The prior game that made me enjoy gaming this much was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Thanks for the tip about the fruits and lizards. Figured there might have been some point to the little critters in the lands, but never experimented with them.

DLShAdOw
Nov 6, 2005, 09:53 PM
I don't have the game but I was at a party yesterday and I beat 13 colossi in one night.

It was pretty easy.

But I loved it, definitley a must play.

Anubis_
Nov 7, 2005, 05:44 AM
I don't have the game but I was at a party yesterday and I beat 13 colossi in one night.

*Bows dramaticaly*

took me about an hour to figure out what to do in the demo.. then i still needed a little help from my friends to figure out how to kill the first colossis.. just a little help.

ah well.. it does look like a great game though. i'd probably not buy though.. cause well.. im broke.. but i'd definately rent it twice so i could beat it..

DLShAdOw
Nov 8, 2005, 02:34 PM
ya i'd say it's the perfect renting game.

Outrider
Nov 9, 2005, 11:48 AM
On 2005-11-08 11:34, DLShAdOw wrote:
ya i'd say it's the perfect renting game.

I'd actually disagree. If anything, this is a must-own, regardless of the short amount of time it takes to do a single playthrough.

That's like saying a painting isn't worth owning, just looking at.

But unfortunately, most people would rather spend their money on quantity, and not necessarily quality. I understand that, so I guess I would also have to suggest most people should rent it, regardless of my personal feelings. The end point of this is basically that everybody must play this game.

DLShAdOw
Nov 9, 2005, 04:27 PM
On 2005-11-09 08:48, Outrider wrote:

The end point of this is basically that everybody must play this game.

I definitely agree with that

*****SPOILERS*****

The dragon colosuss is really fun.

Dangerous55
Nov 9, 2005, 07:13 PM
One of you rich fucks give me money I wanna play it.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 12, 2005, 03:42 AM
EGM listed the things you can earn and do after the game is finished.

Hard mode, time attack with 14 new items to earn that directly affect gameplay, such as arrows that attract the collossi.

So it isn't just a one time play through and leave it be. There are things to do once you're done with the first playthrough.