PDA

View Full Version : FEAR

Blitzkommando
Oct 26, 2005, 11:01 PM
So, yeah, just beat F.E.A.R. and I must say, that is one really screwed up game. If you enjoy Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil and other such horror games this game is right up your alley. I personally found it far scarier than Doom 3. Reason being? The storyline was far more... well, screwed up. It came off to me as being much more believable and thus left me feeling more 'scared' than Doom 3.

Basic overview? Well, you are sent in to get this nutjob guy who has 1000 men under his control. Things get really messed up from there until the end when... well, I don't want to give it away, but you definitely come away going, "Wow, that was a really, really depressing story not to mention so screwed up the writers should be looked at for mental disorders."

Graphically, it is an absolutely stunning game. Loads of special effects and just very, very detailed game. It will run on older machines rather well, saying that older means a year or two.

Gameplay, there are parts that are rather challenging. Challenging in the enemies and challenging in the puzzles. Well, for Half-Life veterans such as myself the puzzles are second nature and rather easy. But, for novices of that type of puzzle, I can see it as challenging.

My biggest annoyance with the game? The cursing. Yeah, yeah, I know it is probably one of the most violent games out there and I am complaining about cursing. Well, it really doesn't add anything to the realism as throwing the "F-Bomb" around constantly gets rather, well, annoying. I realize that with many people this isn't the case, but it just felt like GTA with more gore and psychotics. I will have to admit that I chuckled at a few of the more 'clever' uses of the acronym though. (Those of you not in the know, "fuck" is an acronym meaning "For unlawful carnal knowledge" dating from the pre-colonial times or basically "For having sex before marriage)

Will I play it again? Probably. But for now I will go for a lighter faire, like Age of Empires III, where my enemies make witty remarks without cursing.

So, I guess, has anyone else played this game? Or is anyone else interrested in it?

Eihwaz
Oct 27, 2005, 12:08 AM
I do rather enjoy a good FPS, but my current computer can just barely play Halo PC, and that's at relatively low settings. So I'm really SOL on FEAR, at least until I get a better computer.

It does look very awesome, though. Is the bullet time lame, or is it cool? =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-10-26 22:08 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Oct 27, 2005, 07:40 AM
I was thinking of buying it, as it had caught my attention for quite a while. I just wasn't too sure about the single-player.

Thanks for your take on it though.

Blitzkommando
Oct 27, 2005, 02:22 PM
The bullet time is rather interresting. Some weapons become extremely cheap during bullet time, like the pistol. But others, such as the shotgun or hand cannon, load so slowly that should you miss you will be a sitting duck, even with the time advantage. The effects in bullet time are pretty cool though, with the bullet trails and 'tunnel vision'.

Also, something I forgot to mention is that there are two versions of the game. A DVD "Director's Edition" and the normal CD version. Personally, I payed the $5 to get the DVD version for ease of install and the bonus features are just that, bonus. However, I almost got the CD version as Wal-Mart around me is carrying it for $39.89, a full $10 below retail. Even so, I hate switching CDs so I just purchased the Director's Edition.