PDA

View Full Version : Any other suicidal UK players?

Pogle
Sep 5, 2002, 04:38 PM
Of course, I'm not really suicidal, but I wouldn't blame myself if I was.

Indeed, Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II (I really love saying that) may be one of the greatest games ever, but are us UK players even going to get it?

I know for a fact we won't get it until at least 2003. How does everyone else feel about this?

Painful flashbacks of the gap between the US Ver.2 release date and the UK Ver.2 release

EDIT: Great. According to that HP meter there, I'm dead. Cheers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pogle on 2002-09-05 14:44 ]</font>

GhoStar
Sep 5, 2002, 05:02 PM
I thought ahead. No way was I waiting all that time for Inforgrames to eventually release it, online-play support taken out.

So I went over to http://www.Lan-Kwei.com and ordered myself a modded Japanese GC, then over to Ebay and ordered a Japanese Limited Edition D-Direct package featuring the modem from someone called RadiantSilvergun.

The thought of waiting for an eventually mid-2003 release (at a guess) is horrifying...

Wewt
Sep 5, 2002, 06:00 PM
Pay to extra £50 or so, and you'll get the game way before everyone else does in the country...

Nash
Sep 5, 2002, 09:59 PM
Don't forget even the US players were shafted over V2.0. I'm in the UK, and was playing the US versions, but the repeated delays of V2.0 ended up killing PSO DC for me (as well as all the hacking of course).

I'm just going for the Japanese PSO this time. Atleast then you can be safe in the knowledge that it will be supported properly, and new Quests will appear regulary. 2 of my mates are also importing the Japanese version.

You could be playing GC PSO online in just over a week if you import. Just hope Hunter's License isn't too much hassle this time ...

Yosho
Sep 5, 2002, 10:49 PM
Personally I feel sorry for he people of the UK, it sucks for games over there I hear http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif, by the way hello Pogle long time no see http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Agent_Reav
Sep 6, 2002, 12:30 AM
*Casts Reverser on Pogle* But since it's such a heavy delay don't u guys in the UK get extras and/or bonuses with ur video games? I hear Final Fantasy X in the UK was the upgraded "international" version with extra stuff!

Nash
Sep 6, 2002, 12:34 AM
Well even though it doesn't cancel out the pain of bad NTSC/PAL conversions, the bonus in Europe is that publishers take more risks with what they bring out.

Some games from Japan which they refused to bring out in America, were released in Europe, like Vib Ribbon. Even Worms was originally refused a release in America because it was 2D! Europe is a bit less mainstream.

And of course the DC had a nice finale in Europe, with Rez and Shenmue II.

SuperSubZero
Sep 6, 2002, 02:41 AM
I'm not even sure WHY PSO of all games has such badly staggered release times. The freakin' Japanese release has EVERY language needed for an Asia/America/Euro release. It's not like it needs localization or anything.

The server infrastructure can't be much different in the different areas, setting them up simultaneously shouldn't be too hard.

DROID8
Sep 6, 2002, 03:35 AM
You think it's bad in the UK when it comes to games. Well it isn't much better in Holland, maybe even worse.
Sure there are a few stores that specialize in import games, but it is usually cheaper to just import them yourself.

Is it possible to convert my PAL GameCube so I can play PSO I&II with a japanese broadband adapter? I really hope so!

SS_Death
Sep 6, 2002, 05:18 AM
The problem is that there aren't enough gamers in Europe to make it worth them paying much attention to us. I saw a breakdown and there are more people playing PSO in Japan than in Europe and thats only one country!

The thing is FFX international had two things, Ribbon and extra, practically impossible to kill extra bosses which had no bearing on the main game.

I'm going to continue on my way to lvl200 until Eps. I & II finally arrive here. Maybe I might even get there before it does...

I can sum it up best by the fact that according to a magazine article I read games developers don't think the UK like RPG's, the reason why Square won't release the Chrono Trigger / FF4 pack or Chrono Chross.

Oh well...

*Desperately tries to get through the rest of challenge mode*

Russta
Sep 6, 2002, 06:04 AM
The thought of getting a PAL Gamecube, let along PSO EP I&II on PAL, never crossed my mind. You can't really put a price on 1000+ hours of fun.

Ness
Sep 6, 2002, 06:44 AM
What exactly does PAL mean anyway. I feel sorry for you though because you have to wait so long.

SS_Death
Sep 6, 2002, 07:04 AM
*Puts on technical explanation hat*

PAL refers to the encoding standard. I am not sure of the exact words of the abbreviation but in the UK we use PAL encoding and in the US you use NTSC. In many ways its like the region property of a dvd. It basically a way of seperating the areas so you can't buy it elsewhere.

To be honest I think that the UK should have the same encoding and region as the US as we speak the same language (Just think, if they released it there then we would get it here to every single time!)

*Takes off technical explanation hat*

DROID8
Sep 6, 2002, 07:16 AM
Well, for me PAL means the following:

1. HUGE black borders
2. SLOW game speed (about 17.5% slower, I think)
3. You have to wait HALF a year extra to play a game,if it ever reaches Europe (Xenogears anyone!)

But more seriously, It means:

(P)hased
(A)lternation
(L)ine

So that's 576 lines at 50 Hertz and NTSC is 480 lines at 60 Hertz.

Pogle
Sep 6, 2002, 07:40 AM
*Revives* I think Japan can be quite rude when it comes to games- for example Super Mario RPG was never released over here because it was considered 'too intellectual for European gamers.'

Cheers, Nintendo! Or was that the work of Square? Anyways, I've played it on import and I absolutely loved it!

I think the fact that it has 'Mario' plastered quite clearly enough on the cover would be enough to sell it.

RedFox
Sep 6, 2002, 07:46 AM
some developers care about PAL gamers by getting rid of the borders and adjusting the game speed to be the same as their NTSC conterparts (or add a 60hz mode) or (very rarely) giving use added features and/or bonus making of DVD (as with Metal Gear Solid 2 and FFX). Release dates however are a different story and are (apparently) unavoidable due to localisation and in some cases the aforementioned adjusting borders/game speeds.

IMO sonic team really has NO real excuse for such a delay on a PAL release, because (as already mentioned) all the language settings are already in place and very little will else will be changed in the NTSC/PAL transition. obviously some parts of the game will need to be changed from the US release (such as dial up proccedures and online connection settings) but can that justify a 6month (at least) delay?

Pogle... i too will be commiting suicide soon...

Pogle
Sep 6, 2002, 01:01 PM
It messes me up because by the time we get it, we'll be miles behind the US and JP players and we'll have less time of hacker-free PSO... oh boy, what I'd do with a Spread Needle if they were real...

Rich_T
Sep 6, 2002, 06:54 PM
Ive sent infogames (whoe release segas stuff on the gamecube in europe) another e-mail about PSO, the last time i sne thtem an e-mail, they said they had never heard anyhting about PSO.

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Sep 6, 2002, 11:00 PM
I'm soo glad I live in the US. I hope you guys manage to import and play PSO some how. Hey atleast you;re not totally screwed like those people in Greece.

RedFox
Sep 7, 2002, 07:21 AM
well im gonna start looking into an importing... june 2003 is a lil too long a wait for my liking... now itsa shame that their arent many places that can mod a GC around here...

an i guess we ARE lucky when compared to our greek friends, now that WAS a shock!

Pogle
Sep 7, 2002, 09:20 AM
June 2003!!

Please tell me this is some kind of cruel trick!

*abruptly dies again*

Rich_T
Sep 7, 2002, 01:46 PM
June 2003??????
eh?
where did this come from?

If its true then theres nothing else to do but import.

RedFox
Sep 7, 2002, 04:12 PM
june 2003 was the date i was told. i'll try find a link so that we can all eat our hearts out.

but after the v2 fiasco would you really be surprised? until we're given a date by an official source then thats what i'll be going on.

Rich_T
Sep 7, 2002, 04:54 PM
im planning on getting the US import if its going to be that much of a wait, but its going to be a bit on the expensive side, import game, import keyboard, import modem/BBA= alot of £££ (or €€€)
So much for a Global simultaneous release.

Rich_T
Sep 9, 2002, 11:59 AM
I E-mailed Infogames, who are publishing all of segas games on the Gamecube in Europe asking when we are likely to see a European release of phantasy star online episodes 1&2 this is what they said

"Sorry, but currently we have no information on a European release. It's unlikely to be any time soon."

Neogame2
Sep 12, 2002, 09:16 AM
June? I heared it was March, but still its a long way off, how do I get an import version and what mods to the GC do I need?

Pogle
Sep 12, 2002, 09:57 AM
Oh sod it, I'm just going to import.
Thanks a lot, Sonic Team.

Years of support and what do we get...
I blame it on the hackers (but then, I blame everything on the hackers, mainly becuase it's always the hacker's fault)!

Anyone know a rough estimate price-wise...? I'd better start saving those pennies *sigh*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pogle on 2002-09-13 17:26 ]</font>

Rich_T
Sep 12, 2002, 12:57 PM
Another world are selling PSO on the game cube for £69.99 (w/out modem), although there prices have always been a bit high.
i would expect to see it for around £50
so thats the game, heres an estimated import price breakdown:
PSO game £50
modem/BBA £40
Keyboard £50
Freeloader £20
separate mem card £15 ( formated to US or
JP)
Total estimate £175.00 ( thats US$173)
although you may be able to negociate a discount with your importer if your lucky.
Add to that the cost of a game cube :
Gamecube £130
RGB lead £20 ( why settle for RF or composite when youve got a full RGB scart socket on your TV?)
total: B £150
Total cost of game cube+import PSO £325 ( US$ 507)

Pogle
Sep 12, 2002, 03:28 PM
Thanks!

One more thing... using the freeloader disc, to run, say the US version, would you need a special memory card, or does the UK one work with that too?

soralan
Sep 12, 2002, 04:48 PM
The memory cards on sale in the uk are ok to use, but if there is a uk/pal save file on it then it wont be ok. You will need to buy a new one and make sure that pso is the first save on it, as this will lock it to jp save games only, meaning pal saves wont work on it.