PDA

View Full Version : Linked Servers??? (again)

PhruitBaskit
Oct 28, 2005, 07:26 PM
I know I've already asked this, but my question never got answered...Do we know anything about the PC and PS2 servers being linked? I really want to know! Help me out PLEASE...

Ryna
Oct 28, 2005, 07:57 PM
On 2005-10-28 17:26, PhruitBaskit wrote:
I know I've already asked this, but my question never got answered...Do we know anything about the PC and PS2 servers being linked? I really want to know! Help me out PLEASE...

I have not seen any official announcements that they will be linked. From what I've read in interviews, it should be possible to link them. However, I really don't expect it to happen.

Sacred_One
Oct 28, 2005, 08:42 PM
On 2005-10-28 17:26, PhruitBaskit wrote:

There were rumors about it but it was only a gossip so it is not confirmed. If it was then there would be alot of players online and can cause alot of problem.

Skuda
Oct 28, 2005, 08:43 PM
if Sega does not link the servers, I will personally go to Sega HQ and kick everyone responsable.

Blitzkommando
Oct 28, 2005, 08:47 PM
On 2005-10-28 18:43, Scott_Kuda wrote:
if Sega does not link the servers, I will personally go to Sega HQ and kick everyone responsable.

I'll do something that they would hate more than a swift kick to the nuts: to their pocketbook by not getting the game in the first place.

Inazuma
Oct 28, 2005, 08:58 PM
linked servers would be nice since theyd allow more ppl to play together but i think we are forgetting that psu wont use the ps2 hard drive.

if the vers are not linked, itd be possible to download patches and major updates for the pc ver.

DarK-SuN
Oct 28, 2005, 10:32 PM
They already said that there wouldn't be ANY kind of upgrades for the PC version, both will work fundamentally the same, with server side upgrades and not client side upgrades (although a PC executable upgrade may happen at some key points, to fix PC resolution issues, windowed mode problems, etc), the only downloadable thing being, apparently, new quests and not much more.
This is said in some interviews regarding PSU and how the updates would be handled, which also mentions that they're trying to keep them linked.

Considering this, there's a chance that they can be compatible.
If they do intend on doing a major version upgrade with new stuff, they just have to release an expansion disc for the PS2 (much like PSOv2 was for the DC) and a real upgrade for the PC version.

Of course, this is just me theorizing (with some educated guesses thrown in), meaning I could be wrong about the servers being linked, even if I think these are reasons which could indicate that they may be linked or that they're really trying to pull it off.

PhruitBaskit
Oct 29, 2005, 02:07 PM
So what I'm hearing is that they could be compatible...but as of now nobody nows for sure. I would like them to be linked because then there would be more people online and more people playing together. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Rion772
Oct 29, 2005, 02:23 PM
Nothing is sure, but it's possible. I don't really care much though.

omegabuild
Oct 29, 2005, 05:54 PM
i'd rather they not be linked, if it will make a better game, aside from new content many errors bugs and problems can be fixed via patching, the lack of patching on ps2 means they wont fix errors ala dc and gc.
really i think most users In the US are going to be pc, fact is ps2 as online gaming is way underdeveloped. As a side note, it seems like the game may be multi regional again, in the interview posted recently, the director mentions an expanded and improved communication for multi lingual players.

Inazuma
Oct 29, 2005, 07:34 PM
oh no, if they link the regions it will ruin the game! i want psu to be just like pso bb jp ver is now.

Nash
Oct 29, 2005, 08:30 PM
As this is essentially the rebirth of PSO, I expect we will see linked PS2/PC servers and linked regions again as well.

Patches can be handled server-side, and all this talk of the majority of players being on PC forgets that the majority of players in Japan will be on PS2. The bigger the online community the longer the game will be supported, and the more content we will see. And linked servers means one version of the game won't fall behind the other when it comes to updates.

OdinTyler
Oct 30, 2005, 11:54 AM
I wouldnt know how the connectivity between FFXI & PC works, as to whether theres more bad than good. In theory, to update one is to update both. Personally, Id hate feeling that just cause I live in a certain region or Im on a certan system, that I may or may not get updates. It should be a universal system. On the other hand, something that could be detrimental to one (PC hacking, etc) could affect PS2. I know safeguards are put in place to prevent PS2 hacking online & thats a good thing. The same cant be said for PC. True, it would be good to create a larger base by linking the two together. I just dont know if it will be worth it. We just gotta get enough ppl on the PS2 version & go from there. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif