PDA

View Full Version : Player Controlled Vehicles

OdinTyler
Oct 29, 2005, 08:57 AM
Its already been established that vehicles will be for both offline & online use. Any idea how many there are, the various types & how to obtain them? Also, Id like to know if you can customize it: color, decals, etc, & even naming it. I have a name I may use for that Sand Speeder type.

Luce
Oct 29, 2005, 10:13 AM
my guess would be that u get them in town somewhat like a chocobo hopefully u wouldnt have to get a liscense(drivers???)

PhruitBaskit
Oct 29, 2005, 10:31 AM
I wonder if you'll need to buy fuel for the vehicles. If so, I hope the gas prices are low LOL As for tipes and sizes, my guess is (for vehicles that you can use) a Halo 2 kind of numbers. I would hope for more, but that's my guess...

Luce
Oct 29, 2005, 10:34 AM
i hope to see some actually cool vehicles from what ive seen so far ill be dissapointed but still glad we got them. I hope to see that board ethan flies through the city

FantasyJoy
Oct 29, 2005, 10:43 AM
I hope you can have some flying vehicles too. It will be cool to fly around in space or something. But does somebody know of if you are going to own those vehicles or just lend one and use it?

Luce
Oct 29, 2005, 10:47 AM
probably lend, though if could own it , it would be cool like Odin said to be able to customize it

PhruitBaskit
Oct 29, 2005, 11:02 AM
Customization would definately be nice. And so would using flying vehicles. I would love to have wars in the air with your own spaceship. Kind of like Ratchet & Clank (anyone played any Ratchet & Clank games?) I would like to own a ship that you could upgrade with new shielding devices and BIGGER weapons.

FantasyJoy
Oct 29, 2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, space wars will be fun. Just give a cool looking jet and I'll be happy! I always liked games with air battles in it. It will just make PSU perfect! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

CherryLunar
Oct 29, 2005, 11:30 AM
On 2005-10-29 09:27, FantasyJoy wrote:
Yeah, space wars will be fun. Just give a cool looking jet and I'll be happy! I always liked games with air battles in it. It will just make PSU perfect! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

There are going to be battles while using these vehicles?

FantasyJoy
Oct 29, 2005, 11:34 AM
I sure hope so. Little chance they're will be I think. Phantasy Star was always 'on the ground' and I don't think they will change it.

atomisk
Oct 29, 2005, 12:56 PM
hmm, well, someone posted a quote from an article that made it sound like we wont get to use the vehicles whenever we want but only in certain missions. the good news is, however, that these missions are gonna be desgined around the vehicles to give it a different/more adrenaline pumping feel than the normal missions, instead of just floating around at a slightly faster pace and attacking enemies with what may or may not be a different weapon.

PhruitBaskit
Oct 29, 2005, 02:01 PM
On 2005-10-29 09:34, FantasyJoy wrote:
I sure hope so. Little chance they're will be I think. Phantasy Star was always 'on the ground' and I don't think they will change it.

Yeah, I take back what I said. Space battles would be a little un-Phantasy Star. I'd be just fine with being 'on the ground'

OdinTyler
Oct 29, 2005, 04:21 PM
Well, seeing how PS is all about space, it only makes sense to have a flying battle. Either across a planet's surface or up in the stratosphere, its about time we took to the skies. Besides, in past PS games we've driven & flown. Some vehicles we fought in while inside, some we didnt. It wouldnt be so bad to take it to the next lvl. When I hear the words 'Players will now have vehicles, so, they dont have to walk everywhere anymore', I take that to mean we have complete freedom in when we use them. True, missions would be interesting, but, if the mission is tedious, it will take away from the fun of the vehicle in the 1st place.
Unlike the real world, I dont wanna lease w/the option to buy. If I have to buy a vehicle to keep it & use as I please, fine by me. Personally, Id enjoy the freedom of surfing on that sand vehicle alone or going w/a party & crashing through enemy barricades w/a tank. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The tank should be a LandRover (in keeping w/PS roots) & or an IceDigger. Also, theres been no mention of transportation to the 3 planets. Im sure we'd probably just beam to them from the GC but Id love to hop a ship & fly to whichever planet I want. Save the beaming for specific points to go to. I read the GC was referred to as DS9 & I have to agree. That IS how it looks. This means expect ships to dock on the regular. At least, I hope so...

ANIMEniac
Oct 29, 2005, 11:50 PM
what if like the soccer lobby they have a race track that you can get like a battle record of races won above your head. and also how will interplanetary travel be. will it be like a telleporter or you catch a space shuttle?

Luce
Oct 30, 2005, 12:14 AM
lol race lobby pretty cool idea though i would like to say shuttle but idk but they show that one ship alot

OdinTyler
Oct 30, 2005, 11:47 AM
Thats the Landale, Tylor's ship. Personally, Idk why theres a beast named Tylor (as thats how theyre spelling it now) piloting the Landale. The only one who logically would fly such a ship would be Odin as he personally knew Alis Landale. Guess we'll find out why. As for interplanetary travel, Im guessing ST will make it beam only. However, I long to fly to the other planets as I did in previous games. Yeah, it would take a bit longer to load up but would make more sense.

Luce
Oct 30, 2005, 12:56 PM
i dont mean u personaly fly it but more along the lines of an airship from FFXI

OdinTyler
Oct 30, 2005, 01:00 PM
Bah, I wanna fly my own vehicles, spammit! From what developer info we have, some will be solo, some will involve a grp of players together. The whole fun of being online is being able to freely do what you want, going where you want, by the means you choose. I want a LandRover, an IceDigger, & a HydroFoil that can go underwater (if possible). http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Luce
Oct 30, 2005, 01:17 PM
i think we all know though that we wont be able to fly ourselves to other planets

FantasyJoy
Oct 30, 2005, 01:22 PM
You saw all those tunnel like things around the planet on the video? I think we must travel through those to another planet. So I don't think it will be free to fly. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I agree that they should advance to the next level of travelling. What's more fun than flying freely through space? And I hope we can own vehicles and customize them. It will just pull the best out of Player Controlled Vehicle feature.

OdinTyler
Oct 30, 2005, 03:29 PM
Actually FJ, that was the sandspeeder one I was talking about. Thats a vehicle you ride on the surface but go through caves & such. Racing on those is gonna be fun! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Luce, PS roots date to going to a spaceport, getting in a ship & we fly over. Even something as simple as that, Id love if it were in PSU. Id fall over if we could literally pilot ourselves over! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Imagine the space traffic. LMAO

FantasyJoy
Oct 30, 2005, 03:56 PM
I could imagine that. Stuck in a traffic jam. They better make that you can ride/fly/walk through people/vehicles.

OdinTyler
Oct 30, 2005, 04:02 PM
Me: Capt. Sisko, permission to dock.
Capt. Sisko: Permission granted.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Oct 31, 2005, 11:44 PM
would like to own a ship that you could upgrade with new shielding devices and BIGGER weapons.

That'd be awesome... and would lend a new series of mini-games to PSU. Space Races, and a Battle-Mode like ship to ship combat game. However, I can't really see much use for those features in normal gameplay - since I doubt we'll see any "space based" monsters.

Little chance they're will be I think. Phantasy Star was always 'on the ground' and I don't think they will change it.

Phantasy Star was only "on the ground" because you didn't have much choice in the matter considering the game engines. It's hard to do decent ariel combat in 2D. Even FF limited it to fighting on the deck, which is still pretty much ground based.

Also, theres been no mention of transportation to the 3 planets. Im sure we'd probably just beam to them from the GC but Id love to hop a ship & fly to whichever planet I want.

We won't be telepiping clear across the solar system. From what I can gather - those "tubes" are like slip-gates which allow fast access to other planets. They're like interplanetary fast lanes for space ships. Judging by the videos I've seen - we'll probably end up riding on some large trasport bus of a spaceship when traveling to different planets.

Hopefully, these aren't instantanious travel devices - and they allow you to get up and explore the transport you're on with other players. Traveling back and forth from Selbina to Muhara in FFXI was one of my favorite parts of the game. Though, we can't expect to be fishing off the side of the rail - perhaps Sonic Team will give us some mini-games to play together onboard while we wait for the planet to load.

Thats the Landale, Tylor's ship. Personally, Idk why theres a beast named Tylor (as thats how theyre spelling it now) piloting the Landale. The only one who logically would fly such a ship would be Odin as he personally knew Alis Landale.

Well.. it's because in the original Phantasy Star games - Tyler was the owner of the Landale. Alissa was quite the popular hero of Palman people, and her name has been reveared for millenia. In PSIV you can even visit a statue of her and Myau in Termi on Motavia. Now.. where did you find the Landale in PSIV? It was in a town named Tyler, named for the space pirate who founded it as an outcast colony.

Like the Tyler in PSU, Tyler in PSII was a good and noble man who was fighting for the freedom of Algol against MotherBrain's control. Since MotherBrain was in charge of nearly every aspect of Algolian society - she criminalized him as a terrorist. The transport accident which killed Eusis's (Rolf) parents was, I believe, blamed on him - and space travel was henceforth banned.

So Tyler and the Landale in PSU have no connection to the previous games - but are just a very direct reference to Phantasy Star II.

OdinTyler
Nov 1, 2005, 01:19 AM
This I know. I dont know why that his name is being used again (& spelled differently). Ive played PS since the beginning. Trust me, I get the reference. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Nov 1, 2005, 04:39 AM
For the same reason why Lutz's name is being used again.. and for the same reason there is a Narula Cake Shop in Caves 3.

It's so people like us can see them and "Cool, I remember that from the old games!"

kazuma56
Nov 1, 2005, 04:53 AM
^ yay at nostalgia.

Luce
Nov 1, 2005, 07:39 AM
aha so it will be like the airships somewhat?

OdinTyler
Nov 1, 2005, 10:53 AM
Yes, but Id like to see OTHER parts of nostalgia. If I have to do one more run for a freakin' cake...