PDA

View Full Version : Interracial Dating/Marriage

InfinityXXX
Oct 30, 2005, 03:26 PM
I've lived in my town for some time and I'm noticing that their are a lot of children that are bi-racial. Friday, at lunch I watched an arguement over interracial dating between a white girl and a hispanic girl. The white girl said that she didn't like interracial dating and that she didn't like the fact of seeing all these bi-racial children and the hispanic girl supported interracial dating and marriage. The arguement was realy intense that it drawed in a crowd and the security guards had to break up the arguement. (I was tempted to jump in)

Now, Interracial dating and bi-racial children is a fact thats been comming up a lot lately where I live at and I feel that in about the next 2 to 5 decades, close to or over 3/4 of america will be biracial.

Personally, my grand-dad on my dad side is Jewish and my great grandmom on my mom was mixed with some type of European.(this shows up in my mom and sister's yellow skin tone and in my sister's gray eyes) so I am mixed with something else other than black but I don't consider my self bi-racial but to be honest I think interracial dating is alright except when you have theis case of interracial dating......

-----------------------------
1.If a (insert race) girl dates a (insert race) guy only for the fact that she thinks (insert race) babies mixed with (insert race) genes are more cuter/better than the a pure (insert race)baby.

I really don't like it when I hear a guy or girl that is currently dating outside their race say stuff like that. You should only date someone if you love them not fo their race.

Other than that I see nothing wrong with interracial dating or marriage. I think its beautiful and if the marriage lasts a long time it can mean that both spouses respect or understand their other spouses heritage or cultures.

What are your opinions on this issue and have any of yall ever dated outside your race before?

ABDUR101
Oct 30, 2005, 04:41 PM
I see it the same way as I see homosexual relationships. It's nobody's damn business except those in the relationship.

FOAtHeart
Oct 30, 2005, 05:27 PM
Why is race always such a big issue with you? >_>

Other people's relationships are other people's relationships; it is not my job to tell them how it should be, be it if they want to date interracially or not.

Zelutos
Oct 30, 2005, 06:38 PM
my love <3 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Zelutos/mylove.jpg)

and i'm white http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2005-10-30 15:42 ]</font>

Neith
Oct 30, 2005, 06:44 PM
I can't see a problem with it. As far as I'm concerned, if two people love each other, they should go for it. It's not anyone else's business.

geewj
Oct 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
On 2005-10-30 12:26, InfinityXXX wrote:
1.If a (insert race) girl dates a (insert race) guy only for the fact that she thinks (insert race) babies mixed with (insert race) genes are more cuter/better than the a pure (insert race)baby.

I really don't like it when I hear a guy or girl that is currently dating outside their race say stuff like that. You should only date someone if you love them not fo their race.

And what makes you think they don't love them? You don't just instantly love people, something has to spark it first to get you interested. That's just one of the things they look for in a person.

Everyone does it, and everyone has different things they look for. What about people who don't want to date outside of thier race? Do you really think there is no one outside of thier race they could have a loving relationship with? No, it's just a matter of prefference, and it's no different than you're example above.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geewj on 2005-10-30 19:34 ]</font>

Solstis
Oct 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
We're both brown. Never dated a white guy, probably won't end up with one due to race issues. I wouldn't mind, though.

Eihwaz
Oct 30, 2005, 07:18 PM
On 2005-10-30 13:41, ABDUR101 wrote:
I see it the same way as I see homosexual relationships. It's nobody's damn business except those in the relationship.

Quoted for truth.

navci
Oct 30, 2005, 10:15 PM
On 2005-10-30 16:18, Eihwaz wrote:

Double quoted because Abdur's point is always worth quoting.

My mom once said to me, it is okay if I date someone outside of my race. As long as he isn't black, or indian, or middle eastern people, etc.

So it basically narrowed it down to white.
I LOLed.

Then my grandma asked me if I have any white friends. Then say that I shouldn't trust them cuz they are all evil.

All I need to do now is marry myself to a black woman. XD

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2005, 10:27 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Frink here. Some people are attracted to specific races and not others. Others are attracted to a specific hair color, or eye shape, etc. Really, so long as true love is involved, hey, why stop them?

Zelutos
Oct 30, 2005, 11:17 PM
On 2005-10-30 15:38, Zelutos wrote:
my love <3 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Zelutos/mylove.jpg)

and i'm white http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2005-10-30 15:42 ]</font>

quoted to prove a point

InfinityXXX
Oct 30, 2005, 11:30 PM
On 2005-10-30 14:27, FOAtHeart wrote:
Why is race always such a big issue with you? >_>

Other people's relationships are other people's relationships; it is not my job to tell them how it should be, be it if they want to date interracially or not.

Lol, theres nothing wrong discussing race issues. I mean its ONLY race. I wouldn't say race is a big issue to me but rather racial matters are. I plan on being an civil rights activist when I'm older. People tend to get so defensive when race is brought up but there is no real reason to get defensive, but with that aside,

I brought this up because its becoming an issue in my small town and Its constantly being brought up at school and when its brought up its always in a negative light with the occasional "We need to preserve (insert race)" and I just don't see why so many people have to get so negative on interracial dating.

But also a friend(well I would say a close aquaintence) of mine whos native american likes this black girl and his parents won't allow him to go out with her. He's pure Cherokee and his parents were saying that since there are so few Cherokee in America, that he should preserve the race.

So this is also another issue as well.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 30, 2005, 11:33 PM
I think that the only thing really important to a lasting relationship is a sufficient combination of common interests. The reason being that if you can't enjoy the same activities together, then you're just not going to be able to maintain a healthy relationship.

As it so happens, this often means that interracial relationships are doomed to failure. This is not a rule, however. Just the same, non-interracial relationships are doomed for the same reason.

I can't speak for other countries on this, but I can point out that the United States of America is a melting pot of mixed races. We've got people from everywhere in the world living here. Quite frankly, I'd be more worried if we didn't have interracial relationships going on.

I think that regardless of what's going on in some people's minds, we're going to be seeing a lot of interracial relationships going on. Each generation living within this country sees another generation of children attending unsegregated schools, being exposed to other children of different heritage, making each variation in customs seem to them, a bit less unusual. They make friends with people of varying race and they compare their ways of life. Inescapably, there will be racial mixing.

I think that where the problem really starts, in the US at least, is that we look at a person and say to ourselves, "Oh, he's black," or "Oh, she's Asian." Maybe this flies in nations where people of these breeds aren't expected to be part of the community, but around here, I don't think that's acceptable. An American looking upon another American, regardless of their skin tone and facial arrangement, needs to say to themselves, "Oh, she's an American."

I think that's just about the extent of it.

Solstis
Oct 30, 2005, 11:48 PM
On 2005-10-30 20:33, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I think that where the problem really starts, in the US at least, is that we look at a person and say to ourselves, "Oh, he's black," or "Oh, she's Asian." Maybe this flies in nations where people of these breeds aren't expected to be part of the community, but around here, I don't think that's acceptable. An American looking upon another American, regardless of their skin tone and facial arrangement, needs to say to themselves, "Oh, she's an American."

Maybe in the future, but then we'd find something else to quibble about. It's always going to be this way, whether it race, class, sexuality, height (?), ability to fly, etc.

But, hell, baby-steps are nice. Any extra bit of racial mixing is good, helps out everyone in the end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2005-10-30 20:49 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Oct 30, 2005, 11:52 PM
On 2005-10-30 15:59, geewj wrote:

On 2005-10-30 12:26, InfinityXXX wrote:

And what makes you think they don't love them? You don't just instantly love people, something has to spark it first to get you interested. That's just one of the things they look for in a person.

Everyone does it, and everyone has different things they look for. What about people who don't want to date outside of thier race? Do you really think there is no one outside of thier race they could have a loving relationship with? No, it's just a matter of prefference, and it's no different than you're example above.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geewj on 2005-10-30 19:34 ]</font>

Hmmm, I see where your getting at but in my neighborhood there are a lot of teen girls pregnant( 16 and keep in mind thats thats just in my neighborhood) and 12 of them are friends and they have that mentality of lemme have sex with this guy of another race because,for example, mexian and black people are suppose to make beautiful babies.

I think this is a poor way of thinking and this is a poor reason to date someone. Yes, I understand that people have their own preferences but I just don't like it when I hear these girls saying mess like this and only going with and getting pregnant by their spouse for this sole reason.

I mean this kind of goes past interracial dating and into the matters of love. That love now a days, is so screwed up. The world has forgotten what love is. When you go with someone of another race for the sole reason of that their race with your race is suppose to make a good lookin baby...that ain't love.(I don't know what love is but i have a good understanding of it)There should be more matters. I understand that some people may like some people for their eyes, skin tone, lips, nose, teeth, or even height, but when your with someone for the reason I just stated.....that ain't no love.

But like I said in my first post, interracial dating/marriage is VERY BEAUTIFUL (it may even be a way to end racism) except for when its only done for that reason I stated.

Personally, I've only dated one peron out of my race and It was an hispanic girl and I found it to be very exciting and also a good learning experience. She learned about my race and culture and I learned a lot about her race and culture. Sadly....*sniff* it didn't work out http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif but we both have a great respect towards our races.

ABDUR101
Oct 31, 2005, 12:25 AM
Quite frankly I'm surprised there are still people that exist that have issues with people of other races, let alone relationships and so forth between mixed races.

It's not the dark ages where you see someone an entirely different color and think "oh, that must be a savage animal, he's not the same color as me".

Why can't we ever get a Darwin-Based plague or a "You must have this much common-sense to live"-disaster.

I once took care of an elderly lady who would watch Jerry Springer, and when they brought up a mixed-couple with kids, she'd say "I don't beleive in mixing the colors. I don't have a problem with them, it's just the mixing I don't like."

Now, obviously, it's understandable why there are people in favor of keeping bloodlines as pure as possible. Much like the african-americans are lighter than those who are in Africa and so on. As well as why you have native american's wishing to keep their bloodlines as pure as possible, and the same with Japanese, and every other bloodline in the world.

But, I think those not in control of the situation, i.e. those not in the relationship, need to step back and say "you know, I told my side of why I don't want it to happen, and it's up to them to decide on their own." It's like this, if they kept the bloodline pure, thats fine, whether they were pressured into it or not, sorry, but they lived their life, whether they let someone guilt-trip/persuade them into doing what they did or not, they followed through, now they need to back off, tell their side, and let whatever happens, happen.

Orange_Coconut
Oct 31, 2005, 11:15 AM
It's interesting that this is brought up now. A few months ago I met someone who was a friend of mine for a little while, then we got more interested in eachother and it developed into a dating relationship.

Now, she warned me that her parents and her friends were not very open about racial relationships. In fact, neither was she before she met me. She said it had something to do with pride and that if a Chinese woman was to get with a guy who was not Chinese, that she has lost her pride in being Chinese. That's how her friends saw it at least, but they are her friends, therefore they should be supportive of what her decisions are.

Since we've been going out, her friends have been wanting more and more to meet me, especially her closest friend. I have not met her parents yet due to the fact that she is scared of how her father might react, but I am planning on going to a Halloween party with her tonight at one of her friend's houses. She told me that she was not going to let the opinions of those around her affect her decision in keeping a relationship with me especially because if they truly did love her and if they truly were her friends than they would at least give me a chance instead of immediately looking down on the fact that I am white.

I am a little bit nervous, she said originally that her friends would probably beat me up if they saw me. Now that really scared me, I would probably break easily and I wouldn't fight back. But I told her that whenever her friends are ready to meet me that I will be too, and I'm hoping that tonight goes well. I'm just going to be myself and hope that they like who I am tonight, if not then at least I tried.

I don't judge people from their sexual preference, skin tone, race, none of those kinds of things. I feel that it's important to get to know someone before passing judgment on them so harshly. I don't really think it's anyone elses business when someone wants to go out with someone else who is of a different race.

I wish things like this weren't such an issue, it's fair to say that there are many people out there who are bad at being truthful in a relationship or who aren't the greatest of people, but that's the thing... Everybody is different, it doesn't matter what race you are or what you believe in, all that matters is finding someone who makes you happy and whom you can make happy too.

Dangerous55
Oct 31, 2005, 01:08 PM
Who cares. If you like other races, date them. If others dont like other races, then too bad, it is their loss.

White_Knight
Oct 31, 2005, 01:26 PM
On 2005-10-30 16:18, Eihwaz wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Ditto

navci
Oct 31, 2005, 01:49 PM
Oh. I'd also like to point out.

Inter-racial = good for genetics.
Human survival based on variety of the genepool. Dating and marrying and making babies with someone different from you, yet similar enough (well, there's where the attraction comes in, you'd prolly like someone who isn't exactly the same as you, yet different enough to make it seem like you're not dating a male/female copy of yourself), adds variety, makes healthier offsprings, and makes it so the human race do not die out because of one or two genetic flaw that keep getting pass on.

Kent
Nov 1, 2005, 12:48 AM
I'm not dumb enough to think that race matters in a relationship, or anywhere else, really. :/ But that's just me...

Sinue_v2
Nov 1, 2005, 01:04 AM

I personally think it's wrong to let preferences blind you to a potentially fulfilling relationship. My personal preference is Mongolian women and Native American girls... but that wouldn't stop me in the least from dating a girl of, say, Latino or African decent. Love is something that should be sought out in other human beings.. not in races.

However... that's just my own choice. The glory of this country, at least, is that we are free to live our lives and make our own decisions. If others want to seperate themselves because of race, religeon, or color.. so be it. I'll try my best not to look down on them provided they don't look down on me.

I also feel the same way about homo/bi sexuality - though I am not homosexual myself. I don't think that any person, organization, society should have the right to restrict human love... and noone deserves to be looked down upon for the way they live their lives.

Note: I'm a mix breed myself - mostly German/Polish, but with a bit of Irish and Native American mixed in.

And yes... Buffalo Bratwursts taste delicious. I'm not even kidding.

http://www.comanchebuffalo.com/images/meats/larger_meats/larger_buff_brats.png

Zelutos
Nov 1, 2005, 05:22 PM
On 2005-10-31 10:49, navinator wrote:
Oh. I'd also like to point out.

Inter-racial = good for genetics.
Human survival based on variety of the genepool. Dating and marrying and making babies with someone different from you, yet similar enough (well, there's where the attraction comes in, you'd prolly like someone who isn't exactly the same as you, yet different enough to make it seem like you're not dating a male/female copy of yourself), adds variety, makes healthier offsprings, and makes it so the human race do not die out because of one or two genetic flaw that keep getting pass on.

Oh the joys of biology class. If any of you had gone to my school and had Mr. Grad as a Bio teacher, you would have gotten a lecture...well more like a class discussion on a topic like this.

InfinityXXX
Nov 1, 2005, 06:29 PM
On 2005-10-31 22:04, Sinue_v2 wrote:

I don't think that any person, organization, society should have the right to restrict human love... and noone deserves to be looked down upon for the way they live their lives.

PREACH!!!!!!

lol, yeah, I like your way of thinking! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Do you mind if I put this in my sig?

rena-ko
Nov 1, 2005, 06:41 PM

REJ-
Nov 1, 2005, 08:41 PM
I myself am fine with interracial dating. I'm Asian and everyone else in my school is white (except a few), so basically any relationship I get into right now will be interracial. But like it was said before, no-one has the right to dictate to anyone else how love/dating should be. It's only opinion.

geewj
Nov 1, 2005, 08:46 PM
On 2005-10-30 20:52, InfinityXXX wrote:
Hmmm, I see where your getting at but in my neighborhood there are a lot of teen girls pregnant( 16 and keep in mind thats thats just in my neighborhood) and 12 of them are friends and they have that mentality of lemme have sex with this guy of another race because,for example, mexian and black people are suppose to make beautiful babies.

I think this is a poor way of thinking and this is a poor reason to date someone. Yes, I understand that people have their own preferences but I just don't like it when I hear these girls saying mess like this and only going with and getting pregnant by their spouse for this sole reason.

I mean this kind of goes past interracial dating and into the matters of love. That love now a days, is so screwed up. The world has forgotten what love is. When you go with someone of another race for the sole reason of that their race with your race is suppose to make a good lookin baby...that ain't love.(I don't know what love is but i have a good understanding of it)There should be more matters. I understand that some people may like some people for their eyes, skin tone, lips, nose, teeth, or even height, but when your with someone for the reason I just stated.....that ain't no love.

So what you're saying is you have a problem with people having kids for reasons other than love. Race really has nothing to do with it, just one of the many reasons someone might do it. Again, race really has nothing to do with it. Right?

InfinityXXX
Nov 1, 2005, 10:11 PM
On 2005-11-01 17:46, geewj wrote:

On 2005-10-30 20:52, InfinityXXX wrote:

So what you're saying is you have a problem with people having kids for reasons other than love. Race really has nothing to do with it, just one of the many reasons someone might do it. Again, race really has nothing to do with it. Right?

Yes, race doesn't have anything to do with it, its just that way of thinking that I have a problem with.

Lenard
Nov 2, 2005, 12:34 AM
my view on life is let people do what they want until it brings physical danger/pain to another person that is not them and they do not have the explicit consent of the thrid party in danger/pain. interacial marriage fits into this, it causes no one physical pain/problems and if you say it does ur full of crap, so let peole do it.

Sinue_v2
Nov 2, 2005, 12:42 AM
Do you mind if I put this in my sig?

Be my guest.

Obscenity
Nov 3, 2005, 04:51 PM
I find it mind-boggling that this is even an issue these days. Or that it ever was, really.

GuerillaPimp
Nov 6, 2005, 12:22 AM
Shit, i love all women, black white asian latino. My son is biracial or something. Im black, and she's half black and half puerto rican.

If you look at the big picture... were ALL multiracial. If we traced back our family trees, they'd eventually cross somewhere...which is a scary thought if you really think about it

WashuSaotome
Nov 6, 2005, 01:13 AM
*sigh*

It shouldn't matter what color your skin is. If you love the person, you should be happy enough.

I still get a lot of flack from my family (mostly my stepdad and grandmother) because I haven't dated a black guy. I was made fun of when I'd get taken to school by my grandmother (her friend would come along and tell the woman all of my business)...

Even when my boyfriend came over to say hello to my family, they automatically assumed that since he was white and older than me (I'm 17, he's 19), he's going to rape me, cut off my head, and leave me in a ditch in the suburbs. I tried to convince her to see otherwise, but that didn't exactly work...

*sigh* I don't know why people harass others because of what color skin their boyfriend / girlfriend has... Maybe they have nothing else better to do? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

*EDIT* And another thing I don't understand is the double standard in age gaps given by parents... Even though your mom and dad may be ten years apart, god save the world if you're caught dating someone two years older / younger than you!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WashuSaotome on 2005-11-05 22:20 ]</font>