PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need that?

InfinityXXX
Oct 30, 2005, 03:40 PM
This guy at school was in my class bragging and showing around his $999.00 Gucci backpack.
------------------------------------
Now, I understand that it was his money and he can do whatever he wants with his money but do a 16yr old kid really need a $999.00 Gucci backpack?

The backpack is extremely small so you can't even fit 3 textbooks in it. All your really paying for is a name.

Am I over reacting? I like having Gucci and Von Dutch and Armani but my school is a poor Public School so everyone that goes there are poor or lower middle class and I just think that its like a rip off when you spend a thousand dollars on a backpack.

Eihwaz
Oct 30, 2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, it is a ripoff to buy a $990 backpack, especially if it's just a tiny little thing. God, people are so stupid with stuff like that. You're not over-reacting, Infinity. That kid is a dumbass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-10-30 13:01 ]</font>

rena-ko
Oct 30, 2005, 04:10 PM
did you point at him laughing hysterically?

Sharkyland
Oct 30, 2005, 06:15 PM
Hmm, that always boggles me.

To mean personally, brand names are nearly nothing... heck mostly everything is made in 3rd world countries because of the cheapness of labor cost.

I saw this commercial once, and it says: "Invest in something worthwhile (aka in the future) rather than having a style which will be out-of-date in a couple of months."

Eihwaz
Oct 30, 2005, 09:50 PM
On 2005-10-30 15:15, Sharkyland wrote:
I saw this commercial once, and it says: "Invest in something worthwhile (aka in the future) rather than having a style which will be out-of-date in a couple of months."

What was that commercial for? That is a really smart quote. o_o

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2005, 09:54 PM
If someone wishes to contribute to the economy by purchasing both a loan and a backpack at the same time, I say let them. Credit card debt is a great contributer to the economy today and if people are too stupid to be able to budget wisely then let them "pay" the consequences.

Sharkyland
Nov 1, 2005, 12:33 AM
On 2005-10-30 18:50, Eihwaz wrote:

On 2005-10-30 15:15, Sharkyland wrote:

What was that commercial for? That is a really smart quote. o_o

I think it was either a bank or an insurance company. They were explaining something about buying an expensive car versus some diaster happening in your life. I think that's what it is...

Having just bills to pay sucks, and with the Allstate slogan "Life comes at you fast." So I'd probably be prepared than be low on money and have a difficult time to sell something I bought at a high price at the same price I bought it with. But that's my logic, of course, the video game industry and anime is a whole different point-of-view to the clothes I wear...

To me... necessities shouldn't cost too much. Food, Clothing, and Shelter... my character is only developed with the other non-necessities I buy.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 1, 2005, 03:05 AM
I went with my mom into the Burberry Outlet store a while back.

I have no idea what we were doing in there besides looking. My mom thought since it was an "outlet store" it would be cheaper than full price retail- as all the other stores in the shopping outlet are.

WRONG.

$200 scarves. $300 wallets. $500 bags.

People were at the counter buying them too. I didn't want to even wonder why people spend this amount of money on stuff that all has the same ugly Burberry pattern on it.

Months later my mom found some $20 Burberry perfume at a Ross or something(1/3 the price at the mall perfume stores), and I bought it for her mother's day present or something. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Everyone is into Louis Vitton as well eh?
People are certainly going to make money off of the cheap knock off versions since it isn't really worth it to most people to pay full price for the real stuff just for some lame LV-XVI logo. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

My brother wanted to go into the Armani store we saw in that underground mall in Las Vegas/Ceaser's Palace area when we went on Vacation years ago. He asked our mom if he would get kicked out if he walked in there and probably looked at like he doesn't have enough money to shop there. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Now that I make my own money, I'm not going anywhere near $100+ shoes, or $999.00 Gucci Backpack, EVER.

The people who want it the most are probably the ones who can't afford(to buy) it, and just want to show off.

I don't understand the $5-10 tiny kiddie plastic backpacks on teenagers either. OMG BOB DA BUILDER IS DOPE! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Skuda
Nov 1, 2005, 03:24 AM
hehehe.

yeah, this thread is pretty much self explanitory.

I'd personally spend more to NOT have a logo on it. Thankfully I don't have to.

my top portion of my wardrobe consists of a plethera of plain T-shirts in varying color. each one maybe cost me a good $5 canadian.

I've seen similar kinds of T-shirts, but with logo's on them, and they cost a good $30 more.

digigram
Nov 1, 2005, 02:32 PM
I went with my mom into the Burberry Outlet store a while back.

were there any tasteless punks in there trying to start fights with anyone at all?

Solstis
Nov 1, 2005, 03:31 PM
I like brand name clothing and products.

Once it's on sale. Wooh for JCPenny's/Burdines Macy's/etc. The problem is, people get all fussy about me having "nice" things when I paid just as much as they did and they ended up with lesser quality materials. Patience > Them. I mean, I got $7 Sketchers shoes at Bealls once (well, my mom pointed them out to me, but still).

I learned many wonderful shopping techniques from my money savvy mother. Did you know that toilet paper tends to be on sale in three week rotations?

Neith
Nov 1, 2005, 03:36 PM
I think the only clothing I have of some value are some Dickies Jeans, cost about 50GBP. Other than that, around 90% of my wardrobe is just T-shirts, all of which cost in the region of 8-15GBP.

I hate designer labels now, if everyone wears Burberry, it loses its unique touch, and everyone starts looking like clones again http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

$990 for a backpack is fucking stupid. >_>

InfinityXXX
Nov 1, 2005, 06:00 PM
Our mall is getting a lot of clothing stores and I'm constantly seeing Armani, A Eagle, Gucci, and that blasted burberry design all around my school and neighborhood and its to the point that the only thing I wear are just black or white T-shirts and I even made my own 2 T-shirts.

But I will also like to state that some of these high priced clothes are some of the most cheapest. I bought some cargo pants from Abercrombie(I was young and naive and didn't realize the evils of Abercrombie)that costed $130ish and in 3 weeks there was a thread hanging from the pants....so I pulled it and RIIIIIIIIP!!!, the pants ripped in half, so easily.

Derek0660
Nov 1, 2005, 06:31 PM
I am willing to buy a $10 Nike t-shirt over a $5 genaric one.
However, I AM NOT willing to buy a $70 polo shirt over a $10 Nike one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Derek0660 on 2005-11-01 15:31 ]</font>

Otis_Kat
Nov 3, 2005, 06:04 PM
I see AT LEAST 100 abercrombie shirts a day.

My mom spent about 100 USD on my outfit set that has lasted FOR FOUR YEARS and shows no sign of giving out soon.It consists of 5 tee shirts, 5 over shirts, boxers,socks,and like 7 jeans. The only thing that needs replacment every few months are my work cloths. I work at my family's junkyard and of course you're gonna ruin stuff(crack rip,metal snags, battery acid >.>).

Dangerous55
Nov 3, 2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah it is a waste of money, but you could also say logging 700 hours of PSO in is a waste of time. Too each his own.

trypticon
Nov 4, 2005, 11:57 AM
On 2005-11-03 18:11, Dangerous55 wrote:
Yeah it is a waste of money, but you could also say logging 700 hours of PSO in is a waste of time. Too each his own.

It IS a waste of time. I remember growing up with the atari, nintendo, super nintendo, etc, and being very happy when a role playing game offered only 40 hours of game play. Now we get PSO, and if we expect to get our characters to the top level, and find the best stuff, we're also looking at 2000+ hours of gameplay. Another example of Sonic Team fucking up their game, in my view.

EphekZ
Nov 5, 2005, 02:08 PM
On 2005-11-01 00:24, Scott_Kuda wrote:
hehehe.

yeah, this thread is pretty much self explanitory.

I'd personally spend more to NOT have a logo on it. Thankfully I don't have to.

my top portion of my wardrobe consists of a plethera of plain T-shirts in varying color. each one maybe cost me a good $5 canadian.

I've seen similar kinds of T-shirts, but with logo's on them, and they cost a good $30 more.

yep, I don't wear brands..

especially stuff like ambercrombie where they charge an extra $40 for a moose....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2005-11-05 11:09 ]</font>

Feelmirath
Nov 6, 2005, 06:01 AM
Yeah, i don't see the point in buying expensive stuff, most of the time practicality>looks.
I don't have one item of clothing that's over 40gbp, because i don't see the point in something that usually looks crap and is expensive at the same time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feelmirath on 2005-11-06 03:01 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Nov 6, 2005, 11:07 AM
I mostly get all my designer wear for Christmas when my relatives buy me clothing especially my mom x.x I am 26, turning 27 (tomorrow XD)... and most of my clothes from High School 9th grade still fit me.

Feelmirath
Nov 6, 2005, 11:11 AM
On 2005-11-06 08:07, Sharkyland wrote:
I mostly get all my designer wear for Christmas when my relatives buy me clothing especially my mom x.x I am 26, turning 27 (tomorrow XD)... and most of my clothes from High School 9th grade still fit me.

Well happy early birthday! >_>
Heh, i usually just get money from my relatives http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
At least it means you don't have to move anywhere to buy them, i guess http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Link00seven
Nov 6, 2005, 11:35 AM
Wow...and I get picked on for wanting to buy a $400 Xbox 360.

What is this world coming too? $1000 for a small useless backpack? My $20 K-Mart one serves me great.

That kid is a dumbass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Link00seven on 2005-11-06 08:35 ]</font>

WashuSaotome
Nov 6, 2005, 02:18 PM
You know what? I know a person who has a horrible habit of spending every dime and cent (redundant!) on "snappy" brands and label clothing...

My cousin loves to make fun of me because "I'm poor" (I'm not, but the fact that I don't like to pay an arm and a leg for a freakin' shirt!), I don't shop in the downtown area (Chicago) and that I don't want to spend all of my money on a pair of jeans. (Which makes me wonder why anyone would, as most jeans are the same. You can only have so many different washes and cuts, ya know.)

Hey, I don't care what anyone says... If it's comfy, and if I like it, and if it's cheap. I'll get it.

I think the most I ever paid for a clothing item was fifty bucks. (But hey, Hot Topic is pretty freakin' expensive when it comes to pants.)

All of this seven hundred dollar shirts and pants business is really stupid to me. But if they want to waste their college money on that crap, then let them. But it does make me angry when they show it off. Most of the time, I give them the one up and tell them to talk about something a bit more interesting. There's no point in getting jealous, either.

Idiots...

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 7, 2005, 03:52 PM
I hate fancy stuff that costs a lot, but isn't actually terrible useful.

Take a trip I took a couple of months ago, for example. For socio-political reason that they rather successfully try not to talk about, my parents decided that for my birthday, rather than just take me to a favored restaraunt here in town, they'd take me all the way to Monterey. When they asked me about it, I decided to go along with it, since it'd been several years since I'd been to Monterey, and I've been wanting to take my wife there since before we got married, anyway.

So we went to the Aquarium (the very same facility where Star Trek IV was filmed, in fact), and my wife and I got to wander up and down Cannery Row for a little while (which is a very nice place to wander, mind you), and altogether, it was a very nice afternoon, which was topped off by one of the most expensive dinners of my life time.

Dinner was taken in at an extravagent hotel restaraunt where the price of the service is factored so deeply into the meal you order that the actual cost of the food your eating is dwarfed in relative scale. An 8 ounce alcoholic beverage, in my observation, costs about $12.50, and the cheapest meal on the menu was a steak weighing in at $28.00-- keep in mind that this is on the Coast, and therefore steak is not their specialty, here. The average price of a meal was about $35, and your pre-dinner salad must be purchased separately at about $13 or so. At the end of the evening, my parents had spent about $300 on four people in that one location alone, and all I'd gotten was a couple of leaves for a salad, and an awkward stack of shrimp and scallops, drenched in a socially-crippling corn sauce of some sinister devising. It was not a filling meal, and I certainly didn't leave there feeling like I ever needed to go back, again. The service I received was possibly the best I've ever experienced, but I don't go to a restaraunt to be serviced, I go to a restaraunt to be fed. Which I was, but awkwardly, as previously alluded.

Meanwhile, my mother, who is easily impressed by expensive things, is just flabbergasted at it all, which made a very stark contrast to my general disappointment in the whole ordeal.

Had we just gone to the local restaraunt, my parents would've saved a good $700 on the overall trip, and I would've left the place feeling like I never want to eat anywhere else, ever again. Still an expensive place, but not nearly so much, and best yet, the food is as high quality as or higher quality than the service.

Qrrrbrbirbel
Nov 8, 2005, 12:53 AM
On 2005-11-07 12:52, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Quality over quantity and such.

I'd rather pay 1 dollar for a cheesebuger at McDonalds than go to Disney Land and pay for a 12 dollar shrimp cocktail myself. If I could I would miss the days when a good meal cost maybe 2 dollars. Oh the 50's, where did you go? T_T

geewj
Nov 8, 2005, 01:36 AM
On 2005-11-03 18:11, Dangerous55 wrote:

I started to type something up a while ago, but didn;t figure it was worth it. Dangerous summed it up for me though.

It's what he wants, and he has his reasons. What else does he need?

navci
Nov 8, 2005, 02:48 AM
Well.

Going against what everyone is saying here.
I don't like brand name clothing that gets expensive just because of brand name. However, some expensive clothings are expensive for a reason. For example, expensive pants actually have a nice cutting/fitting is very good when you are working, going to an interview, or that sort of important events. Pants I have, are always too tight on one spot and loose on other. Or pockets that sticks out, and not that comfy to wear. There are stuff there are worth spending your money on.

A better fitting means more comfort, especially for pants, and shoes. Sometimes the more you spend, you do get better stuff. Say, a better pair of shoes really makes a difference when you are on your feet all day.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 8, 2005, 03:39 AM
It wasn't really the cost and what he wanted to do with his money.

It was basically his bragging about it to everybody.

LOOK AT ME, I BOUGHT A $999 BACKPACK, THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU!

I've been in run down public schools myself growing up.

Some people had money and bought crap, only to show off.

Popularity contest.

But on the flipside, that guy is just screaming for someone to rob his backpack from him.

Inner city, public school, hmm. You think he won't get mugged for that backpack so someone can pawn off that thing and buy $999 worth of other stuff with it?
-

Funny story that my brother witnessed.

His friends had every Jordan shoe that came out or other expensive things their whole lives or something.

He went to the movies one day with them and one random guy came up to his friend and told him how cool his Jordan's were.

He then asked to see the bottom of his shoe.

My brother's friend lifted his shoe and the guy who asked grabbed it and ran off. (I'm unsure about whether the guy stole both shoes or not, its been a long time since it happened, thus the details aren't all there).

-
I haven't bought shoes that cost anywhere near $100 in quite some time, maybe 7 years or so when I saved up a bunch of money and wanted expensive shoes.

Nike Air Penny IV $130. Air bubbles. Strap. Etc.
When I was 13 I bought these and they lasted a few years, but eventually I wore them way too much and the air bubbles popped and rocks filled them sometimes. It might not have been worth it in the long run but I got plenty of use out of them just the same and was happy with my purchase.

Last week I tried on the new Reebok Answer IX's. I was interested in this new "Pump" technology they were pushing in ad campaigns. "Put your foot in and it automatically inflates around your foot for a custom fit." I liked how it worked and bought them, $125.

I didn't tell anybody and coming home after a dinner with my family they all grabbed my shoes and started messing around with them when I was unpacking groceries and things. I don't need to brag about crap I buy; what the heck for?

Like it was some big deal since I don't usually waste money on these sorta things. And probably because they're all nosy weirdoes and always touch my stuff without asking. I hid half my closet so people won't finger my wardrode racks with dirty hands. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

InfinityXXX
Nov 8, 2005, 02:25 PM
See, the thing that just irks me is that everyday when we're conversating in English, he HAS to somehow slip in a comment on his backpack.

Yesterday, we were talking about Beawulf and he goes and says the most IGNORANT ish. "Mrs.*****, did they have Gucci, in that era"

WHAT THE HELL!!!!
That should've called for an automatic bitch slap and whats so sad is that he WAS SERIOUS.

My school is a poor public school, and if he keeps braggin about it, what Hayabusa said, hes gonna get jacked and I'm just gona laugh.

I mean he acts like that damn girly ass little backpack is all that great and I just want to say "Will you just shut the hell up, we know about your backpack!"

But I doubt this kid will ever get jacked or anyone will dog him out. Hes a very popular kid that is surrounded by some of the meanest, toughest girls in the school and hes always sending his girls to deal with people.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 8, 2005, 03:57 PM
On 2005-11-07 21:53, Qrrrbrbirbel wrote:

On 2005-11-07 12:52, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Quality over quantity and such.

I'd rather pay 1 dollar for a cheesebuger at McDonalds than go to Disney Land and pay for a 12 dollar shrimp cocktail myself. If I could I would miss the days when a good meal cost maybe 2 dollars. Oh the 50's, where did you go? T_T

On the other hand, $2 in the 1950's is worth about $5 ot $6, today. Food for thought.