PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cable do I need to get online?

Odinsthrone
Oct 30, 2005, 09:45 PM
I don't know if I posted this in the right place...

Tact
Oct 30, 2005, 09:47 PM
I think just an ethernet cable will do. That's what keeps my GCN and Gamecube connected...but, of course, I guess the online stuff varies between systems. Which do you have, GCN or Xbox?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tact on 2005-10-30 18:50 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2005, 09:48 PM
Would this be with dialup or some kind of highspeed connection like DSL or cable?

Also, would this be directly to the modem (if cable or DSL) or through the router? It also can depend on the provider.

And yes, this should have gone in tech support, but I am sure it will be moved so no worries.

Odinsthrone
Oct 30, 2005, 09:51 PM
I have a GC and I have DSL.

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2005, 10:00 PM
What is your setup? Are you going to be going through a router? Or will it be direct to the modem? You may need a different cable depending on how it is hooked up and also what hardware you are using.

Odinsthrone
Oct 30, 2005, 10:03 PM
I'm almost positive it will be going to the modem.

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2005, 10:19 PM
Okay, in that case you should be able to use a crossover Cat-5 cable. However, I know some modems you connect to with just a standard Cat-5 cable. I would read the documentation on your particular modem to find out which is right for you. Cat-5 is also called Ethernet cabling. Also, if all you can find is Cat-6, it should work fine as well. Cat-6 is just a higher grade of cable that is not necessary and won't give you any performance gains for PSO but if that is all you can find it would also work.

Odinsthrone
Oct 30, 2005, 10:28 PM
Alright, I'll find out, many thanx.

VioletSkye
Oct 31, 2005, 12:46 AM
Don't use a crossover to go from the modem to the BBA or you won't be able to connect. You need a standard ethernet cable. The make and model of the modem won't make a difference, it will still require a regular cat 5 or 6 cable. The only time you would need a crossover (patch) cable is if you wanted to use ICS (internet connection sharing) or if you are trying to physically connect (directly network) two non-crosswired machines, such as two pc's together. Any residential grade modem is going to be crosswired, so if you try to use a crossover cable the send and receive pins will not line up properly for data to move to and from each device.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-10-30 21:54 ]</font>