PDA

View Full Version : Someone Please Help

Allos
Oct 31, 2005, 05:06 PM
Being that I'm computer illiterate for the most part I can't figure out what to do here. I'm on a laptop now which I hate using since its so old and slow as hell so I'll get right to the point.

My PC completely froze up, wasn't responding to anything (not even ctrl alt del) so in anger I pulled the plug (probably shouldn't have done that). Now whenever I turn it on the command prompt comes up that windows could not start successfully because blahblahblah. Choose to start windows in safe mode, last known configuration, etc. I first choose safe mode with plans of restarting in normal later. Fails. I chose every other mode as well, none with success.

Someone please help, I really don't want to have to take the comp in to be fixed for something as noobish as "my computer doesn't turn on".

Blitzkommando
Oct 31, 2005, 05:30 PM
I take it you are able to at least get to the boot screen then, yes? That, as bad as it is, is a good sign. At least your boot sector is good. Where there any problems before this began? And, I'm sure I don't need to ask, but I still will, did you do regular anti-virus and adware scans?

Allos
Oct 31, 2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah I do for the most part (run the scans weekly I mean). And no, this type of thing only happened once before and it was about 4 months ago, but my friend fixed it then.

After trial and error it's telling me that one of the startup files was corrupted and I need the windows setup CD to repair it.....and wouldn't ya know it, I can't find the CD.

digigram
Oct 31, 2005, 05:56 PM
would that file happen to be browseUI.dll?

Allos
Oct 31, 2005, 05:57 PM
No actually, and I'm too lazy to go into the other room and check to see what file it is.

Maridia
Nov 1, 2005, 02:00 AM
Well, Allos, if you really want help with your problem, I suggest you get off your butt and go find out what that file is so people can help you, or don't ask for help at all. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Allos
Nov 1, 2005, 07:34 PM
Ok problem solved, my friend just came over and brought his setup disk and repaired the file. Thanks anyway guys.