PDA

View Full Version : origin of class/gender names

_Panacea_
Nov 2, 2005, 05:02 PM
I've been wondering this for a while, so I'm just going to ask! Does anyone know the origin of the class names? For example, FOnewm and FOnewearl; I understand the prefixes (FO is short for force), but am a little unsure on the suffixes. Newm and newearl both seem to be a variation on newman...

But then theres mar and marl, and cast and caseal, which make even less sense to me ^_^ ha ha. Is there any reasoning behind the names, or were they just picked because they sound good? Are any of these names used in any of the original Phantasy Stars?

(note: newman was originally spelled "numan", wasn't it? nuearl might look a little akward, I suppose.)

Sharkyland
Nov 2, 2005, 05:45 PM
Hmm... THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION. I really don't know. I'll investigate and see what's up with it.

Oni140
Nov 2, 2005, 06:01 PM
Maybe they made them up XP

However many weapon names have a story behind them...such as the new weapons with the french names (Rage De Feu, Mille Marteaux, etc) or the japanese ones (Musashi, Asuka, Sange, etc)

Blitzkommando
Nov 2, 2005, 06:50 PM
Try looking at the katakana for the classes as well. RAmarl, for instance, is 'reimaru', whereas the other three Rangers begin with 'ra'. HUnewearl is another irregular katakana compared to the other Hunters if I recall correctly. Afterall, Sega came up with the names in Japanese first then to English.

Sharkyland
Nov 2, 2005, 11:25 PM
Still curious if it's like a foreign language subsequent, now that I looked at BLITZKOMMANDO on thinking about the katana, I still don't see where they could've gotten it from. :/

Blitzkommando
Nov 4, 2005, 05:04 PM
Just for reference the katana names for the classes are:

HUmar - "hyu-ma-"
HUcast - "hyu-kyasuto"
HUcaseal - "hyu-kyashi-ru"
HUnewearl - "hanyue-ru"

RAmar - "reima-"
RAmarl - "reima-ru"
RAcast - "reikyasuto"
RAcaseal - "reikyashi-ru"

FOmar - "fo-ma-"