PDA

View Full Version : If you are too stupid to use a computer, then you should not

Skorpius
Nov 7, 2005, 04:24 AM
http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

This is a website full of computer horror stories with clueless users. It's frustrating on how STUPID some people can be when it come to computers.

~ Computers use electricity to run, DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONITOR A BATH.
~ If it doesn't fit, MAYBE IT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO GO THERE. PUT YOUR CHISEL DOWN.
~ Shotgun damage will void your warranty.
~ ALL COMPUTER SOFTWARE REQUIRES A COMPUTER TO USE.
~ Look at the keyboard. See the letters? HOW ABOUT USING THEM TO TYPE THE COMMAND?

Why is it that common sense flies right out the window when people come face to face with a computer?

TheOneHero
Nov 7, 2005, 07:18 AM
On 2005-11-07 01:24, Skorpius wrote:
Why is it that common sense flies right out the window when people come face to face with a computer life?

Fixed it for you. :3

People are ignorant, lazy, self-centered asses; you learn to deal with it...

...even though your IQ drops a point every time you have anything to do with them.

Skorpius
Nov 7, 2005, 08:02 AM
You'd be suprised how competent human beings turn to incoherent babble-makers when they have to interact with "futuristic technology".

* Tech Support: "All right. Now click 'OK'."
* Customer: "Click 'OK'?"
* Tech Support: "Yes, click 'OK'."
* Tech Support: "That's right. Click 'OK'."
* Customer: "So I click 'OK', right?"
* Tech Support: "Right. Click 'OK'."

Pause.

* Customer: "I clicked 'Cancel'."
* Tech Support: "YOU CLICKED 'CANCEL'???"

Mystil
Nov 7, 2005, 11:35 AM
The clueless nature comes from the fact that one fuck up could more than likely kill the computer and you'd have to get a new one. With the way Hewlett Packard computers are built this is very likely. Computer knowledge is not easy to grasp(takes years; and this is beyond "knowing the basics") and a lot of people simply don't like technology for what it is.

I know what you mean though. BIOS and other things..eh call your customer service and get a tech to fix it. Or go to a book store and buy a book and learn.

Link00seven
Nov 7, 2005, 12:32 PM
On 2005-11-07 05:02, Skorpius wrote:
You'd be suprised how competent human beings turn to incoherent babble-makers when they have to interact with "futuristic technology".

* Tech Support: "All right. Now click 'OK'."
* Tech Support: "Yes, click 'OK'."
* Tech Support: "That's right. Click 'OK'."
* Customer: "So I click 'OK', right?"
* Tech Support: "Right. Click 'OK'."

Pause.

* Customer: "I clicked 'Cancel'."
* Tech Support: "YOU CLICKED 'CANCEL'???"

Wow, that's just...wow.

I somehow could see that happening. I've come to face with a few stupid questions myself.

"...Okay, I put the floppy in the slot, what do I do now?"

hyperacute
Nov 7, 2005, 01:03 PM
On 2005-11-07 08:35, Silhouette wrote:
The clueless nature comes from the fact that one fuck up could more than likely kill the computer and you'd have to get a new one.

Some years ago, I used to train new users to use PCs at the company I was working for the time (could launch into a long rant about understaffing which meant that in addition to my role as lead tester, I was also an unpaid trainer but I won't).

The first session I used to run with the newcomers (usually, about 50% were total newcomers) was to show them exactly how hard it is to "break" a PC. Once they realised that clicking on the wrong button was highly unlikely to cause it to explode, they tended to learn pretty fast.

Just to continue the "stupid users" theme, my favourite call (thank god for speakerphone, that way my whole team got a laugh) was the report of a "broken keyboard". Apparently, the user managed to type their username in fine but "it must have broken 'cos when I type my password, I just get a funny row of stars". Priceless...XD

Blitzkommando
Nov 8, 2005, 12:38 AM
Some people just don't think in a mathematically logical manner, which is key with computers, especially older machines. Grandparents are always interresting to put in front of a computer. You never know what will happen, often resulting in hours of work (and entertainment). Being that I continuously read up on computers, and new technology in general, most of it seems pretty basic. But for someone who rarely works with them, computers can be very intimidating.

I suppose, I could do an analogy in that, someone who has been working with modeling programs for years would become frustrated with me because I have almost no experience there. It doesn't make me stupid with modeling programs, it just means I need to do a bit of work looking up terminology and how-to guides to get a better understanding.

WashuSaotome
Nov 8, 2005, 09:02 PM
*shudders*

My grandmother loves to buy computers but have no idea how to operate them.

Despite what she says, she'll need me to fix her computer no matter what. It's insane, frustrating, and makes you wanna grab a mallet and smash a couple o' people.

Sharkyland
Nov 8, 2005, 09:13 PM
Being a lab assistant and technician at my university computer lab, I've faced a lot of people like this. One thing that is extremely hard to do sometimes is to keep your cool. When I lose it, I just ask them politely what do you want me to do... I'LL DO IT FOR YOU.

Link00seven
Nov 10, 2005, 11:43 AM
Ugh...I just had someone ask me "If I turn off the screen, will I lose all my data?"

*sigh* People...

Maridia
Nov 10, 2005, 12:37 PM
XD that's horrible, Link.

"I'd like to buy the internet, please."

Honestly, I guess it's from hanging around online for so long, but some of the things I hear are just painful.

Sinue_v2
Nov 14, 2005, 09:23 PM
You have to admit though... it's pretty fun to mess with these people. I used to toy with my companies IT guy all the time. I'm not even -THAT- knowladgable with computers.. but this guy was just plain retarded (if you can believe that).

Here's a fun prank for stupid IT guys...

Take a picture of your desktop. Set that picture as the background wallpaper. Hide the Start Bar (move it to the top of the screen, autohide, adjust the moniter picture up so the sliver of grey is off the screen.) Then, hide all of the icons on the desktop, including My Computer. Remap the keyboard to something, like say, Turkish or Pakistani... or just make up your own random map. Then invert the mouse, and mix the button's functions up.

Then call up to their office and complain that your PC locked up and you think you smelled smoke.

I had my IT guy stumped for Two Hours before he finally left to get his Anti-Virus software. (Apperantly it never occured to him to restart the computer in Safe-Mode) By the time he came back, I had everything fixed and told him I just got pissed and kicked it - after which it ran fine.

This is the same guy who "Lost" a full skid of new computers - yet is too cheap to buy USB flash drives so that prototype can get us our patterns. Instead, they waste a 700MB CD transporting a 5MB file - which often times doesn't work because the design program saves the files off in a format which the printer software doesn't recognize. We have to use a third program to open the file, and then resave it as a different format... which our prototype people often forget to do. (not to mention that it sometimes causes errors... like switching a solid cut line into a draw line, or a perferated line.. erros we can't fix because we don't have either design programs - just the print)

PrinceBrightstar
Nov 16, 2005, 01:07 AM
Tech: "Now i want you to grab onto the mouse"
Person: "A MOUSE?! WHERE? AHHHHHH!

Person: It says on my screen press F1 to continue, I've pressed the F and the 1 key several times but nothing happens. What's wrong?
Tech: *sigh*

Customer: "Uhh...I need help unpacking my new PC."
Tech Support: "What exactly is the problem?"
Customer: "I can't open the box."
Tech Support: "Well, I'd remove the tape holding the box closed and go from there."
Customer: "Uhhhh...ok, thanks...."

Tech Support: "I need you to boot the computer."
Customer: (THUMP! Pause.) "No, that didn't help."

Customer: I used to be able to pay for downloadable content, but now I can't access their site anymore
Tech Support: What service were you using? Were you using a credit card that expired?
Customer: No I usually just put my 20s into the slot.
(Which was a floppy disk drive. I got the computer, removed the pay money and gave it back, every time this person calls, $500 bonus!)

Zarode
Nov 17, 2005, 08:36 AM
Eh, I can relate with that stuff.

<_< Try dealing with it with the person you live with 24/7. >_> They arn't funny most of the time, and have to deal with the firewall. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oh and, the next generation is probably going to be like that. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif