PDA

View Full Version : An odd topic, fears?

Rion772
Nov 9, 2005, 10:49 PM
I don't know if this has been posted as a topic yet because I just started coming to these forums, I've been in PSU general mostly.

What's everyones fears here?

Let's be honest here.

Wyndham
Nov 9, 2005, 10:52 PM
I'm afraid of heights, driving, rollercoasters, and a few things I'll leave out.

Rion772
Nov 9, 2005, 10:59 PM
On 2005-11-09 19:52, Oran1324 wrote:
I'm afraid of heights, driving, rollercoasters, and a few things I'll leave out.

I used to be afraid of heights, it comes back to me sometimes and I get scared when I'm high up wherever and realize it's a big drop. Usually it doesn't bother me. I'm afraid of being alone (friends), not living up to my own expectations, being rejected by people I look up to, afraid of failing in succeeding with my goals, afraid of doing all of the work for baseball to not make the team this year (if I bother to tryout, if not next year(technically 2 years) I'll do it)), afraid of not getting into my dream college (it's not that hard to get into at all, I just want other choices if I don't like it there), theres other things but I need to go to bed now because I have to get up for school tomorrow.

Dre_o
Nov 9, 2005, 11:04 PM
I fear nothing but standing next to a road with cars going more than 30 MPH on them.

And Ob Lilies.......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dre_o on 2005-11-09 20:04 ]</font>

Sayara
Nov 9, 2005, 11:21 PM
I am very uncomfortable in silent areas, and in darkness.

Orange_Coconut
Nov 9, 2005, 11:29 PM
Ever since a certain incident I get really scared when cars passing in the opposite direction are close to/on the center line of a road.

I do have a fear of heights and a little bit of one with dogs. I also have fears of certain foods and choking as well, but I've been working on those.

CupOfCoffee
Nov 9, 2005, 11:41 PM
Wasps, or just flying stingerbugs in general. Also, to a lesser extent, torture-related violence. It just turns my stomach.

Qrrrbrbirbel
Nov 10, 2005, 12:43 AM
I've come to be afraid of love. I don't want my heart, no matter how subtley(sp?), to be broken after falling yet again in love. [/cheesy emoness]

PIT
Nov 10, 2005, 02:20 AM
funny... seems likei'm afraid of nothing...

Ginko
Nov 10, 2005, 02:22 AM
I hate spiders, dunno if I fear them really.

space_butler
Nov 10, 2005, 04:20 AM
school run traffic...its hell to try and cycle through it

Skuda
Nov 10, 2005, 05:09 AM
I don't exactly fear water, but I hate it at the very least. rain... snow... oceans...

*shudders*

PIT
Nov 10, 2005, 07:21 AM
i couldn't fear, or maybe hate water... i have a nice sailing boat and i really love sailing, woosh-woosh

Pagit
Nov 10, 2005, 08:17 AM
I'm afraid of lawnmowers. Weird, I know, but I had an incident with one as a small child.

Neith
Nov 10, 2005, 08:34 AM
Deep water terrifies me. When I say deep, I mean even something like a deep end in a swimming pool. I can swim, but not for very long, and when I was a kid, I had nasty experiences involving deep water.

Also, some horror films. I can easily sit through a blood/gore film, but any film that has quick shocks make me jump a mile, and I'll never watch that film again.

TheOneHero
Nov 10, 2005, 11:17 AM
Another one of these threads? I guess this means I'm getting old. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I fear:

To be forgotten. (As in, when I die I will not be remembered.)

Being helpless to protect those I care about.

Turning into that which I fight so passionately against. (This can cover a lot of things; a few key examples: Just another guy who feels females are only there for their own physical pleasure. Or people that care nothing of others.)

To me, being afraid and having a fear are two different things. Being afraid is something that happens on a whim, you could say. Example: I'm afraid to speak publicly today; but I don't fear speaking in public. (or something like that) >_>

Having a fear is something that sticks with you for life (in most cases).

Anyways, to the batmobile!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2005-11-10 12:51 ]</font>

Dhylec
Nov 10, 2005, 01:54 PM
PIT wrote:
funny... seems likei'm afraid of nothing...

That's because you haven't met your fear yet. As long as you can perceive & feel, you can be affected by fear.

Kuea
Nov 10, 2005, 02:18 PM
o:

hmm... a sleight fear of heights, nothing big

worms... don't ask <_<; I hate them >_>;

and... cold blood... like... real blood that isn't warm, but indeed cold and still liquid.

DOOTS!!!! they're evil D:

rena-ko
Nov 10, 2005, 02:22 PM
i fear some of my thoughts sometimes.
like when i walk along a road and a bus drives by i always imagine how my skull gets crushed by a tire.
besides this, no, nothing really.

PIT
Nov 10, 2005, 02:57 PM
On 2005-11-10 08:17, TheOneHero wrote:

Turning into that which I fight so passionately against.

that's the problem - it's in the human psychic sphere. there are 90% of chance that you'll turn into what you're against. i've been observating the reality.

Solstis
Nov 10, 2005, 03:03 PM
Doing something really mean.

People dying.

Doots.

People that spout intelligent ideas, but don't bother to spell anything correctly.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 10, 2005, 03:09 PM
The only really phobic reaction I generally have is to worms. I have an irrational fear of worms. It's not to a degree that it's uncontrolable, but in verity, I get very uncomfortable in their presence, and for no adequately explained reason.

TheOneHero
Nov 10, 2005, 03:11 PM
On 2005-11-10 11:57, PIT wrote:

On 2005-11-10 08:17, TheOneHero wrote:

Turning into that which I fight so passionately against.

that's the problem - it's in the human psychic sphere. there are 90% of chance that you'll turn into what you're against. i've been observating the reality.

And 87% of statistics are wrong. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But on a more serious note; what you said is most likely true. Which is why I'm doing my best to not let it happen to me. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

PIT
Nov 10, 2005, 03:23 PM
On 2005-11-10 12:03, Solstis wrote:

People that spout intelligent ideas, but don't bother to spell anything correctly.

i hope it wasn't about me >.>

FOAtHeart
Nov 10, 2005, 03:35 PM
Being found out. >_>
(Related: being blackmailed D: )

And dying an early death, but that is a lot less likely. >_>

I hope.

PIT
Nov 10, 2005, 03:43 PM
well, i'd like a fresh death tomorrow morning. crap, i'm still young and sooo bored of life...

Scrub
Nov 10, 2005, 04:16 PM
Anything to do with my eyes is probably the only real FEAR I have. Such as, getting them gouged out, stabbed, sliced, blind, etc. It just really scares me.

>_> Everything else Im afraid of isn't too bad. Like, I've gotten over/know I will get over just about everything else. Like, I'm not really deathly afraid of spiders anymore, I just kind of hate them. And I'm not too afraid of ghosts, cuz I'm sure that if one wants to go 1v1 I can probably kick his ass. :3

PJ
Nov 10, 2005, 04:27 PM
I'm afraid of sharp things, like knives, needles, etc.

And water, and... it's not really a fear of heights, but you know, airplane high. I'm afraid of being on a plane. And cars.

Rion772
Nov 10, 2005, 05:29 PM
Stuff like that doesn't bother me. I guess I'm not swayed or bothered by my accidents as a kid...I'll tell you what I mean.

I'm not afraid of water and yet as a kid I've almost drowned twice, the 1st time I didn't know how to swim AT ALL, my uncle was opening his pool for spring/summer and I saw a frog swimming around and I loved to catch frogs then and he had the skimmer and swung it around and knocked me in and he dove in for me and got me out. The second time I was in a river and as well all know the outside current around a turn is faster than the inside and I step to the outside part of the stream bed and there was a drop off and I was floating downstream trying to stay up but luckily a huge tree had fallen in, roots and all and I grabbed it and held myself up until these kids got me out.

With knives as a kid I got hit in the hand with an axe...me and my cousin both swung at a small tree and I swung first with a machete and he swung like 1/2 of a second after and his axe slid down the machete when it stopped and it hit my hand, in that spot between your them and pointing finger, that webbing, skin spot and I ran home. Before that I had cut my finger open with a knife while cutting pepperoni.

Neither things scare me, I love swimming and toss knives in the air and catch them and throw them around likes it's nothing. I guess those bad events in my life didn't really affect me, even though in all 4 events I was extremely scared.

Rei-San
Nov 10, 2005, 05:50 PM
I'm kinda afraid of semitaries. The thought of the dead eating my brain is to mush to bear.

I'm afraid of extream pain.

I'm afraid of Dark silence.

Neith
Nov 10, 2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah, sharp objects don't bother me. Just in my room, I have a sword, loads of surgical scalpels (for art, dammit), spare blades, a pin drill (for metal modelling).

Surgical scalpels, I've cut my hand open numerous times accidently. Some occasions quite badly (like, bleeding for 30 minutes straight >_>). I still don't get phased by them.

Pin drill is just nasty. Slip while drilling a small joint, and it can pierce through bone. Ive cut myself accidently once with it, and it hurt like hell. Couldn't use the finger I cut for weeks, it hurt so bad. I still use the drill regularly.

I guess if I had a really bad accident with a sharp object, I'd be wary of them, and I can see why people are uncomfortable with them. Everyone's different after all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rion772
Nov 10, 2005, 07:35 PM
On 2005-11-10 15:03, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Yeah, sharp objects don't bother me. Just in my room, I have a sword, loads of surgical scalpels (for art, dammit), spare blades, a pin drill (for metal modelling).

Surgical scalpels, I've cut my hand open numerous times accidently. Some occasions quite badly (like, bleeding for 30 minutes straight >_>). I still don't get phased by them.

Pin drill is just nasty. Slip while drilling a small joint, and it can pierce through bone. Ive cut myself accidently once with it, and it hurt like hell. Couldn't use the finger I cut for weeks, it hurt so bad. I still use the drill regularly.

I guess if I had a really bad accident with a sharp object, I'd be wary of them, and I can see why people are uncomfortable with them. Everyone's different after all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yeah that's pretty tough, I havn't really gotten a cut quite that bad...maybe I have, I just don't remember. I've hit myself in the shin with a hay sickle thing, I was cutting a pumpkin with it and it went through into my shin and I started walking home, through a field (just my luck) and I fell over and everything started going white until I found some shade. My grandfather happened to be passing by and brought me home. Thank god for him.

Silence doesn't bother me at all, I enjoy it often.

I like that dark, when I'm alone in a wierd area I get paranoid, but nothing too bad, I always ignore my paranoia of something jumping out at me from the bushes or some crazy idea I might get. Extreme pain...not really a problem for me becuase my big brother has been beating the crap out of me for like 5 years and he like smacks me in the face, hits me in the head, charlie horses, flicking (he flicks super hard) and etc... Also we wrestle a lot and he always wins but I don't care, I'm starting to go to the gym again, I went on monday without a member pass at the YMCA, I'm getting a pass this month.

Cemetaries don't bother me, I don't get wierd feeling around them, I'm not scared when I'm at one at night. Most things that most people are afraid of don't usually scare me, most of the things I'm afraid of is my personal life, and what I think of myself, just stuff like that.

Orangepeel
Nov 10, 2005, 08:34 PM
You know, I don't care about admitting it, but I'm scared of butterflies.
Those mothers are creepy man!

Not much else I'm scared of.... I'm so depressed that's probably why..

Rion772
Nov 10, 2005, 08:52 PM
On 2005-11-10 17:34, Orangepeel wrote:
You know, I don't care about admitting it, but I'm scared of butterflies.
Those mothers are creepy man!

Not much else I'm scared of.... I'm so depressed that's probably why..

Well I'm not afraid of them, butterflies are just...interestingly wierd.

I know how you feel, I too am depressed often. Mostly at night or around certain people. It'll get better, trust me. Last year I was atleast 2x worse than I am now, you'll learn to cope (sp?) eventually.

Oni140
Nov 10, 2005, 10:14 PM
Unless its in an airplane, then heights, definitely heights.

Not being able to save the people I love and people who are my friends.

That's about it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

LoveAndLunacy
Nov 11, 2005, 06:22 AM
I find that people are more commonly afraid of the fear of fear itself rather than the thing they are actually scared of because their mind makes them believe that it is a lot worse than it actually is. Death can be quite scary if you can concentrate on what actually happens to you, its weird though.
Cecil liceC

Orangepeel
Nov 11, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, like I mean actually being scared can be scared, but not like scared, like fear. There's sort of a difference...
I forgot though, same for me with the pain. I wouldn't care about dying if it weren't for the pain (imagine like a gunshot going straight through your neck... ugh....)

Rion772
Nov 11, 2005, 11:42 AM
I'm not afraid of death, I know, not fear but know that someday I will die somehow. It doesn't really matter how though, after you die you don't feel anything. What got me thinking one time is, when you die, every fond memory you ever had, ever good feeling you've ever experienced is gone because your brain rots away eventually.

Anyway, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm afraid of failure, failing to be happy, failing to get the job I want, etc.

slimster
Nov 11, 2005, 12:36 PM
I was afraid of bees but I did something stupid... I caught a bee and it hurt to no end. It was the first time I got stung, so I put a mental note not to do that again. Yeah Yeah laugh it up! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Rion772
Nov 11, 2005, 01:04 PM
On 2005-11-11 09:36, slimster wrote:
I was afraid of bees but I did something stupid... I caught a bee and it hurt to no end. It was the first time I got stung, so I put a mental note not to do that again. Yeah Yeah laugh it up! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

In the summer, I fly bees outside because they're really stupid and it's funny to watch them struggle to fly. I havn't yet got stung from it. Bee sting hurt a bit though, I can understand why they scare you. If you ever feel up to it try flying one, it's actually fun if you're bored enough to do it.

Way to fly a Bee:
Step 1. Catch a bee with anything then put it into a jar.

Step 2. Put the jar in the freezer for about 3 minutes, maybe less. Just wait for the bee to stop moving and give it an extra 30 seconds-1 minute. During this process get some fishing string or anything lighter. Cut it however long you want (not more than about 3 1/2 feet.

Step 3. Tie the string around the bees abdoman.

Step 4. Take the bee outside and wait for it to start moving, after it will begin to fly. Run with it (not too fast), jump off of stuff with it (don't jump off of anything with too much of a drop) and have fun watching your bee.

Step 5. Cut the string when you're done, cut it as close to the bee as you can or just kill it.

NOTE: DO NOT GET STUNG, DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU GET STUNG, IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

PIT
Nov 11, 2005, 01:13 PM
Step 6. don't watch cky http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

navci
Nov 11, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hm.
Heights.
Anything with more than 4 legs.
People.
Social situations.
Bars.
Clubs.
Hm.
What can I say? I am insure. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

slimster
Nov 11, 2005, 07:48 PM
On 2005-11-11 10:04, Rion772 wrote:

On 2005-11-11 09:36, slimster wrote:

In the summer, I fly bees outside because they're really stupid and it's funny to watch them struggle to fly. I havn't yet got stung from it. Bee sting hurt a bit though, I can understand why they scare you. If you ever feel up to it try flying one, it's actually fun if you're bored enough to do it.

Way to fly a Bee:
Step 1. Catch a bee with anything then put it into a jar.

Step 2. Put the jar in the freezer for about 3 minutes, maybe less. Just wait for the bee to stop moving and give it an extra 30 seconds-1 minute. During this process get some fishing string or anything lighter. Cut it however long you want (not more than about 3 1/2 feet.

Step 3. Tie the string around the bees abdoman.

Step 4. Take the bee outside and wait for it to start moving, after it will begin to fly. Run with it (not too fast), jump off of stuff with it (don't jump off of anything with too much of a drop) and have fun watching your bee.

Step 5. Cut the string when you're done, cut it as close to the bee as you can or just kill it.

NOTE: DO NOT GET STUNG, DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU GET STUNG, IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

Thats cool I never tried that or even thought of doing something like that but I cant try it because its almost winter.

Rei-San
Nov 11, 2005, 08:47 PM
O yeah, i'm afraid of bees, too. I had a bad experience with one.

Rion772
Nov 12, 2005, 09:30 AM
I never got to watch CKY, the 1 time I was I saw like 10 minutes of it and it was at a party and my dad walked in to see...lady parts on the screen and said "hell no" because I was like...10 or something, still that's just stupid of him, now he like lets me look at *stuff* online and doesn't care lol!

PIT
Nov 12, 2005, 09:47 AM
all the bee-scene was in cky dude http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Shigecki
Nov 12, 2005, 05:07 PM
The fact that we are involved in a war that is creating terrorist when we were supposed to be stopping them. That there wasn't an exit plan once we took control of Iraq. As far as that goes, that we were lied to as a nation by our president to go to war in the first place, and yet this country elected him to 4 more years. Three more years of George W. Bush as president scares me. The fact that we are creating a nation of illiterate children. These are just a few of the many things that scare the hell out of me.

EphekZ
Nov 12, 2005, 05:54 PM
dieing not death but dieing as like someone shoots me and I suffer in pain also being tortured or soemthing yea...also roosters and geese.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2005-11-12 14:54 ]</font>

Thalui89
Nov 13, 2005, 04:25 PM
Death has never had a place in my heart for causing fear. I am not afraid of what happens of life but i am afraid of the manner in which i might die. such as getting a serious disease thats takes awhile for its victim to be killed. Me i'd rather go out swiftly to be honest. I would also fear a cage (not necessarily being caged up just lack of freedom such as imprisonment). In regards to death my view is that there is life after death in some form or other. I say not to worry bout death because if there is nothing after life then u aint gonna know about it!. I'd also hate to not be able to defend the people who i care about the most.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalui89 on 2005-11-13 13:28 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 13, 2005, 07:29 PM
On 2005-11-13 13:25, Thalui89 wrote:
Death has never had a place in my heart for causing fear. I am not afraid of what happens of life but i am afraid of the manner in which i might die. such as getting a serious disease thats takes awhile for its victim to be killed. Me i'd rather go out swiftly to be honest. I would also fear a cage (not necessarily being caged up just lack of freedom such as imprisonment). In regards to death my view is that there is life after death in some form or other. I say not to worry bout death because if there is nothing after life then u aint gonna know about it!. I'd also hate to not be able to defend the people who i care about the most.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalui89 on 2005-11-13 13:28 ]</font>

N.E.R.D, It's a band...but also a belief. It sounds so cool I really wish I thought it up, the meaning and the initials.

N.E.R.D = No one Ever Really Dies

It's our life. N.E.R.D is just a basic belief, man. People's energies are made of their souls. When you die, that energy may disperse but it isn't destroyed. Energy cannot be destroyed. It can manifest in a different way but even then it's like their souls are going somewhere. If it's going to heaven or hell or even if it's going into a fog or somewhere in the atmosphere to lurk unbeknownst to itself, it's going somewhere." – Pharrell Williams

Among the very few things that scare me, not being able to protect the ones I love scares me a bit too. The whole Iraq situation however doesn't scare me at all, if I were old enough I would be there right now, as you can imagine that means I really want to. Death doesn't bother me at all, it happens at one point or another. Let me tell you all a story.

This weekend my neighbor Wayne who is 59, a retired detective helped me put wood in our wood stove (a wood stove is an alternative way to heat the house, you throw wood in and it heats the heaters or whatever) and I said thanks and walked inside. He got on his 4-wheeler and went up the driveway into the woods (we own about 200acres of fields and woods and he's allowed to hunt here, he's been hunting most of his life.). After 2 hours of darkness we got seriously worried and went look for him, he was not to be found in there area that we looked in. 1 hour later my mom called Waynes son, wife, and daughter up to help.

The son had hunted with Wayne many times, his name is Cory. Cory got on Wayne 4-wheeler and sped up into the woods (the 4-wheeler was in a field on the edge of the woods). After about 10 minutes Cory found his dad. He had a massive heart attack, it seems before he died he sat down leaning up against a tree, he fell over holding his Bow to his chest. The cops said he had been warm so we almost found him in time...but that doesn't count. The EMS people tried reviving him, he came back for a second then passed away for good.

As I step outside to hear what was going on, I wasn't in the woods looking because my mom told me to stay behind to wait for the cops to direct them to the location. I heard that he was dead so I ran inside to get a knife (there have been some very daring coyotes here and have attack some pretty big dear and even a man a few years back and killed him, this was before I was born I guess) and ran uphill on the trail and after about a mile I reached the point where the cops were.

I was the last person to talk to Wayne alive, I will admit it I cried. I felt like shit for quite a bit of the night. But when I had gotten to the place I thought "No one Ever Really Dies" and felt a little better. This all happened friday. Sad ain't it?

Tact
Nov 13, 2005, 09:25 PM
My fears:

Death (Who doesn't fear death?)
Driving (I don't think that, even after I learn how to drive, I'll quite get used to it)
Spiders (In pictures, they're fine, but in real life...)
Bees (Never been stung by one, and don't want to know what it feels like)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tact on 2005-11-13 18:25 ]</font>

Rei-San
Nov 13, 2005, 09:41 PM
A bee sting feels like stappling your hand. At least your not alergic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2005-11-13 18:42 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 14, 2005, 05:59 AM
On 2005-11-13 18:41, RayMaster wrote:
A bee sting feels like stappling your hand. At least your not alergic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RayMaster on 2005-11-13 18:42 ]</font>

Lucky for me I'm not allergic to anything deadly. (just poison ivy I mean, I get it in the summer usually...)

You've stapled your own hand...?

Scrub
Nov 14, 2005, 06:22 AM
A bee sting feels worse than that. Tack a tack or pin and put it into your arm a little, that's about right. >_> Stapling yourself doesnt hurt at all, try it some time.

tank1
Nov 15, 2005, 07:31 AM
Earthworms just creep me out perosnally i cant frikkin stand them at all!

slimster
Nov 15, 2005, 03:49 PM
Stapling hurts in certain areas like in your leg or something but I did it on the palm of my hand and it didnt hurt all.

PIT
Nov 16, 2005, 01:17 PM
On 2005-11-13 18:25, Tact wrote:

Death (Who doesn't fear death?)

i don't

Solstis
Nov 16, 2005, 02:37 PM
N.E.R.D. sounds like a convenient excuse to be optimistic.

I am afraid of failure in general. As in, failing whatever goals I had set for myself, or doing poorly in other's eyes.

Rion772
Nov 16, 2005, 05:51 PM
On 2005-11-16 11:37, Solstis wrote:
N.E.R.D. sounds like a convenient excuse to be optimistic.

I am afraid of failure in general. As in, failing whatever goals I had set for myself, or doing poorly in other's eyes.

I guess you could say that, I was trying not to make this more negative than it is but whatever.

How is it tht stapling your own hand doesn't hurt...staplers can staple through tons and tons of paper at once...I mean like maybe 50-100 pieces. I would think like 100 pieces of paper is stronger that skin.