PDA

View Full Version : Immigration.

Zelutos
Nov 10, 2005, 12:03 PM
Has anyone here ever moved from another country to Canada and became a permanent resident?

If you have, could you explain the steps you had to go through and how tough it was to get here?

I'm really interested because i've got a friend who want to move here from another country, but from the things you see on the internet, it all looks so tough. Any info would be nice. personal expiriences are the best. thanks.

navci
Nov 11, 2005, 01:43 PM
It IS tough.
First of all you need an incredible amount of money. That is pretty much a basic.

You need to go through the steps to prove that you are a worthy citizen and Canada should open their arms to embrace you. It is easy if

1. You are a professional.
2. You are an investor with tons of money.
3. Both

Your last option is get married to someone who is Canadian.

The info you read is correct, it is tough. If you are anything lack of being an established individual with talents or money to spare. Well.

you out lolz.

edit: In case you are wondering, my family went through this. My mom went with investment immigration. They go with a point system and some professions are always more prevelant than others and hence earn you high points. And let me remind you that it is lots of money. The application itself, would already cost you about 1000 bucks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navinator on 2005-11-11 10:47 ]</font>

Zelutos
Nov 11, 2005, 04:32 PM
What about the option of moving here as a student?

rena-ko
Nov 11, 2005, 04:38 PM
well, you could always keep your current nationality and apply for a visa.

Zelutos
Nov 11, 2005, 04:43 PM
On 2005-11-11 13:38, rena-ko wrote:
well, you could always keep your current nationality and apply for a visa.

True, but isn't that only temporary? I have a friend who wants to move here from Hong Kong and live here as a permanant resident @@''

navci
Nov 11, 2005, 06:08 PM
On 2005-11-11 13:32, Zelutos wrote:

You can apply a student visa. But you will not be able to be a permanant resident just by being a student. As I already mentioned. You need a good reason to convince them why you are worthy of being here as a resident/citizen and get access to their resoucrces. If you can't provide that, they will not consider you.

If he is serious, have him talk to a lawyer.
It is going to cost a lot of money. As I already stated, the application fees alone is 1000 bucks plus.

Zelutos
Nov 12, 2005, 12:27 AM
On 2005-11-11 15:08, navinator wrote:

On 2005-11-11 13:32, Zelutos wrote:

As I already stated, the application fees alone is 1000 bucks plus.

Canada just plain out sucks then http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

navci
Nov 12, 2005, 01:08 AM
On 2005-11-11 21:27, Zelutos wrote:

Canada just plain out sucks then http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I don't think you understand the scope of how this works here. Canada is actually quite lenient in what kind of immigrants they take in. Take America for an example. Even if you do get married with a citizen, you can only eligible for applying for green card -> resident. If you want to apply for citizenship your chance is slim to nil. My godmother has been living in the states for as long as I have been in Canada. She still hasn't got a green card yet; meaning, she still cannot leave America and not lose her residency.

Point is. Moving to another country and actually planning on becoming a resident which probably will lead to you becoming a citizen and call this place home is not a small matter. It is not an impulsive decision to make nor is it really something you should be considering before you are settled for life and knowing where you are going. The cost of the procedure reflects that.

Think about it, after you get the whole procedure done you still need to solve your problem in how you are going to live here, work here, start a new life here. It is not something to be taken lightly, at all.

Zelutos
Nov 12, 2005, 01:16 AM
On 2005-11-11 22:08, navinator wrote:

On 2005-11-11 21:27, Zelutos wrote:

I don't think you understand the scope of how this works here. Canada is actually quite lenient in what kind of immigrants they take in. Take America for an example. Even if you do get married with a citizen, you can only eligible for applying for green card -> resident. If you want to apply for citizenship your chance is slim to nil. My godmother has been living in the states for as long as I have been in Canada. She still hasn't got a green card yet; meaning, she still cannot leave America and not lose her residency.

Point is. Moving to another country and actually planning on becoming a resident which probably will lead to you becoming a citizen and call this place home is not a small matter. It is not an impulsive decision to make nor is it really something you should be considering before you are settled for life and knowing where you are going. The cost of the procedure reflects that.

Think about it, after you get the whole procedure done you still need to solve your problem in how you are going to live here, work here, start a new life here. It is not something to be taken lightly, at all.

Well, he doesn't have to worry about where to live or work, because i can handle that for him. I plan on letting him live in my apartment with myself and my friend and i would also help him find a job. It's up to him to get over here. It's his dream -- that's what he says. I would provide everything he needs until he can get on his feet. I'm thinking cost for him isn't a problem, since he hasn't brought up the subject of needing money.

Anyways, i really appreciate the info, navi :3 i'll tell him all this http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif