PDA

View Full Version : Barriers/Shields?

Zindura
Nov 11, 2005, 01:51 PM
I don't know about you, but I haven't heard a word about barriers/shields as far as PSU is concerned.

In past PSO games they weren't terribly important, only providing passive defense/evasion/element boosts, but I hope Sonic Team decides to make them more important in PSU.

Maybe this could start with making them able to be activated in a sort of "defense" stance or something? Like, a stance that could soften up shots or melee blows, perhaps even block them completely. It's be cool if you could move in such a defensive state as well, seeing as most weapons have the option of running while attacking/shooting. This could give melee-fighters something to do while closing distance between themselves and ranged units.

Has anyone heard anything, or want to speculate?

Additional Question (Edit): Those of you who played a demo, I hear the menu was unable to be opened up. While fighting, did you notice your character passively blocking blows or using any sort of barriers?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zindura on 2005-11-11 10:55 ]</font>

Rion772
Nov 11, 2005, 02:07 PM
I think we get shields, I think in one update it said we would get shields...I don't know.

F-o-x
Nov 11, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hmm interesting idea... Although with the option of strafing I don't think theres a need for blocking. If it were to be as you describe, I think it would make the game too easy.

Zindura
Nov 11, 2005, 02:38 PM
On 2005-11-11 11:30, F-o-x wrote:
Hmm interesting idea... Although with the option of strafing I don't think theres a need for blocking. If it were to be as you describe, I think it would make the game too easy.

If you could run-and-gun at the same rate as a melee-class unit could advance upon you, the advancing melee would be really unprotected. Though I've found you can dodge foie/megid/barta and stuff in prior PSO games, photon bullets fired from guns travel very quickly, and are near-impossible to dodge.

F-o-x
Nov 11, 2005, 02:50 PM
Ahhh I see your point, but if we're talking about the main game I doubt the enemy AI would be using those kinds of tactics.

Although if PvP was introduced into PSU I could see that happening. While the run-and-gun tactic is kinda cheap I still think if we were given the option to block it would cause melee specialty characters to have an unfair advantage.

Zindura
Nov 11, 2005, 02:59 PM
On 2005-11-11 11:50, F-o-x wrote:
Ahhh I see your point, but if we're talking about the main game I doubt the enemy AI would be using those kinds of tactics.

Although if PvP was introduced into PSU I could see that happening. While the run-and-gun tactic is kinda cheap I still think if we were given the option to block it would cause melee specialty characters to have an unfair advantage.

Probably. We don't know a terrible lot about the enemies we'll face in this game, but if it's going to be an action-RPG, I hope the enemies will be more complex than in prior PSO games.

In prior PSO games, you mostly had these lumbering things advancing towards you at various speeds depending on difficulty. I was hoping the enemies that will be faced would show more variety than the booma-esque approach-and-smack things.

_Tek_
Nov 12, 2005, 01:45 AM
Perhaps they just haven't shown any shields yet. I suppose the main part of the game is done, and shields are just the extras not quite ready for show? Like they don't have much for animation, and the only difference between all of them would be stat data and some 3d models.

Rion772
Nov 12, 2005, 09:39 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that there WILL be shields, I'm almost 100% positive it's been said somewhere. It's very probable that we'll have shields, it would be too hard and unfair if we didn't get them.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 12, 2005, 10:54 PM
I agree with Rion. If there isn't shields in PSU, then what the fuck!?! I think that shields and armor were just too big of a part of PSO to cut out of PSU. They really helped out with keeping your char alive (def+) and they were always fun to collect http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif 'It would be to hard if we didn't get them'

Basically, armor was a big part if PSO that really helped your char out and chances of armor not being in PSU are as Slim as Shady...

_Tek_
Nov 13, 2005, 02:24 AM
It was the easy thing to collect. I basically picked up every frame I could, compared the stats with doubles, and kept the best one. Then I could keep the lower level ones and use thoe on new characters.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 14, 2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah, comparing the frames really helped. You'd be amazed by how different the stats on two of the same frames could be.

F-o-x
Nov 14, 2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah I also collected frames and barriers. In GC PSO I pretty much had a 4-slot version of every frame up to an Ultimate Frame. Those really helped my newer characters when combined with my God/Units. Talking like this I'm kinda wondering if we'll still have slotted armors in PSU. I always thought that the slots in armor were sort of like PSO's answer to accesory slots in other RPGs.

OdinTyler
Nov 14, 2005, 02:24 PM
Since someone mentioned the demo, I can say I either was able to avoid the hit or I flat out took it & got knocked on my ass! LOL Seriously, my guys would go running away & Id be surrounded by monsters. So, I got even & left their asses behind til I fought the dragon. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif If there are shields, let there be a tower. I know who Ill be giving it to. (cough)GIMPYHYUGA(cough)

Shade-
Nov 14, 2005, 02:25 PM
I'll just toss out an idea. It's probably terrible, but whatever. 'Barriers' keep the same invisible buckler style shield as they did in PSO and maybe still randomly block, but have actual shields that occupy your off hand, thus limiting yourself to a one handed weapon, but giving you an actual block command. And maybe not a flat out blocked attack if you have your shield held up, but blocks a certain ammount of damage.

Otherwise, shilds and barriers are totally cool http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_Tek_
Nov 14, 2005, 02:50 PM
Speaking of giving frames to new characters and such:
-We won't be able to transfer items through multiplayer offline.
-We might not get a menu/mode to do transfers with our online characters (I really hope we do though)

We are going to need some psow group system where we can have trusted people hold out stuff while we change characters. You must already have something like on psobb right?

It should be like one of those psow community things, where a few trusted people will give free time to just hold items for people while they switch characters.

Sinue_v2
Nov 14, 2005, 06:39 PM
We are going to need some psow group system where we can have trusted people hold out stuff while we change characters.

That's the way we used to do it on v.1 and v.2 for the Dreamcast, since it had no offline multiplayer mode. Though, hopefully, Sonic Team will add in a feature where you can send items to other players who may or may not be online at the time. Kinda like a mailbox for your room.. so that when you log-in, your sent items are waiting for you.

I used to do that on FFXI all the time when I cornered the Mithran Tomato market. I had three dummy characters set up in each town - while Neika bought Tomatoes in Khazaam. I'd send enough Tomatoes off to each one to fill their inventory - and they'd sell them at the AH for twice the price I bought them at (which was still pretty cheap). They'd always go fast - since they were used in a lot of food items that crafters would use to raise their skill and sell for profit.

_Tek_
Nov 15, 2005, 09:48 PM
That's one thing I admired about ffxi, the world and its economy system. Too bad I just couldn't handle the idea of the leveling and gameplay.

OdinTyler
Nov 16, 2005, 10:52 AM
Thats funny that you cornered the tomato market. At one point on EQOA, I cornered the Alacrity pot market with my alchemist. For those that dont know, an Alacrity pot is the same as Spirit of the Wolf, a spell to enhance your speed for running distances to camps & such. Ppl would sell them for 5 or 6000 tunar (the monetary unit). Pfft, Id sell em for 1k each & would clean up. Not rich, but, Id cover expenses & could buy things once in awhile. I kinda miss that. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Rion772
Nov 16, 2005, 05:37 PM
On 2005-11-12 23:24, _Tek_ wrote:
It was the easy thing to collect. I basically picked up every frame I could, compared the stats with doubles, and kept the best one. Then I could keep the lower level ones and use thoe on new characters.

In ultimate that's literally about all I would pick up for items to sell and keep, not including rares. I didn't/don't bother picking up weapons, no none rare weapons better than what I have.