PDA

View Full Version : My Cd Reviews: Flo'Ology and The People's Champ

InfinityXXX
Nov 13, 2005, 10:10 PM
*I doubt I might get any replies to this topic but I'm just writing this cause I'm bored*

Well, as many know, I love music a lot and I plan on being in the music business as a music producer. When it comes to hip hop, trip hop, soul, neo soul, rock, dance, trance or R&B I have a good eye on telling which artists have talent in their genre and which ones don't and today I bring forth two cd's I've listened to thrice and analyzed to make these reviews so here they are.
------------------
The People's Champ by Paul Wall

Yup, when I first saw Paul Wall one thing went through my mind,"do not let this be another Vanilla Ice or poser rapper" but my thoughts were put away when I heard Paul Wall's hooks on Mike Jone's Still Tippin', Ciara'a Love Song, and Kanye West's Drive Slow.

Unlike Emineim, the person that he is compared to often,(cmon people, they're the only two popular white rappers out right now) he proves to be a bit more mature. Hes also more skilled. Though if he'll be as popular as Emineim is something time will tell. But after listening to Paul Wall, emineim starts to feel very childish and cheap. Paul Wall also proves to be more devoted to rap.(For peace sakes he sounds black and he just married a black woman.*he sings about her in almsot all his hooks/songs)

Well I picked up his debut The People's Champ and I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

When I review rap or hip hop I base it on 3 things, the flow of the rapper, the beat, and the lyrics.

Paul Wall have a nice flow and the beats in his song are VERY, VERY good.(theres your occasional dull ones) But his lyrics hurt him.

Paul Wall is a southern rapper and basically anything you hear from Mike Jones, Slim Thug, or even T.I and Ludacris is echoed in the song. (Grill, cars,ice etc) It starts to bore you but the beat take care of that.

The stand out songs are

Sittin Sidewayz
Trill
Internet Goin Nuts
If you knew me

The other songs are good but these songs are what caught my attention.

In conclusion, Its what I expected but more from a main stream artist but Paul Wall is doing his thing and if he keeps it up he can prove to be a worthy advesary to some of the southern rappers and can give Emineim a run for his money.(If emineim doesn't retire first)
---------------------------
Flo'Ology by Floetry

If you think Floetry is your average soul/borderline R&B artist then your HORRIBLY mistaken.

Floetry is a duo of two african british females that have been friends for a long time, consisting of Marsha Ambrosius(the singer) and Natalie Stewart(the Floacist*basically the poet*)

Their style is what their name is, Floetry. While Marsha sings her notes of purity, Natalie smooth talks with a poem(sometimes rapping). Together, this creates Floetry.

Floetry, is a breath of fresh air to the music world and after hearing a song by them, you will feel enchanted

They just released their sophmore album Flo'Ology and it is what I expected, smooth and sexy. I give it a 3.5out of 5.

Only reason it doesn't get a 4 is that some of the songs start to sound the same and dies out for a while, especially on your first listen.

After the lovely first song, Blessed 2 Have it goes off into their first single, Supastar featuring................COMMON!!!BEST RAPPER EVER!

Supastar is an upbeat song that is really pretty. Marsha sings and vocalizes, Common spits out his hook and Natalie starts doing her poem/rap.

After Supastar there is Closer. This a very smooooth, grown, and sexy song and in my opinion, the best song on the cd. Its one of those songs you play when its night and raining, and your with your loved one with nothing but the candles lit......yeah, a lot of babies are gonna be made listening to this song.

Sadly after Closer the cd starts to dwindle down. Though the lyrics are good the music becomes very medicore and it stays this way until "Lay Down" but it staggers around and picks up strong again at I'll Die.

Still its a beautiful cd but not their best one.(Their debut is the best) But after hearing Closer and Supastar, you will feel your money was worth it.

HotWaterDeath
Nov 14, 2005, 02:32 PM
Eh, I wouldn't necessarily call this chap anything remotely close to "hip-hop", then again, its better than most of the "bling-bling" BS I see litered about mainstream radiowaves.

Even if they're on "Sony Music", I'd take any Dead Prez record over the bulk of mainstream rap/hip-hop et cetera.