PDA

View Full Version : No PSU offline multiplay/2 players! (a concern )

Kannon
Nov 18, 2005, 05:32 PM
I know this topic has already been discussed.

I also know that the PS2 is capable of more than
a lot of non owners think (I for one). With some
sacrifices there can be a 2 player split screen
mode. One major problem with PSOGC multimode was
undoubtedly do to it's use of the old engine, which
was not oringinally meant for split screen.

As it has been said before, everyone can't get online or don't want to pay.
For these, offline multiplay/ single(not with Ethan)would be the bulk of their play.
For those that do play online it would be like a bonus feature.
Those who just don't like offline multiplay you are not forced to play it in most cases.
Considering it's a new engine on a more powerful system they could work something
out to permit this, but it might be difficult for them.

Regarding cheating:
You could have offline characters and online characters,
which would solve both problems in that case.

Rachet: Deadlocked has 2 players split screen
and there is a lot you can do as far as putting
stuff on screen with many enemies with a far reaching view.
Sure the graphics were degraded some but that
didn't make it less fun. For me at least.

Just becuse it is not perfect doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Dhylec
Nov 18, 2005, 06:54 PM
I feel your desire for offline-multi, but I think you missed out ST's intention. Most RPGs are designed as single player; PSU is no different. ST wanted a full epic offline RGP: with a true story line, character development with voices & some 3 hours of movie.

PSU offline should be treated as a complete game by itself, since virtually nothing offline is carried over to online. This is why we are required to create online chars & not just simply load offline Ethan & co. to play online. Heh, of course, that won't stop people from creating chars looking like offline chars. ;D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2005-11-18 15:55 ]</font>

Blackwaltz-R
Nov 19, 2005, 02:21 AM
I feel the same way since RPGs have low replay value after you beat them and unless your going online their isn't much to look forward to as far as we can tell. I'm sure the story will be great the first time thru but they did pretty much cut their user base since the people who didn't play PSO online still count. The least they can do is offer an offline only version or a lan-enabled version version. Most games in general that have multiplayer aspects should have lan capabilities.

Kent
Nov 19, 2005, 10:56 AM
Although I think that offline single-player mode is a good thing, It would have been nice to do it Seiken Densetsu-style, letting other people control the characters in your party that aren't Ethan.

Tomonari
Nov 19, 2005, 01:09 PM
On 2005-11-19 07:56, Kent wrote:
Although I think that offline single-player mode is a good thing, It would have been nice to do it Seiken Densetsu-style, letting other people control the characters in your party that aren't Ethan.

I agree that would be fun. I used to invite friends over and we'd play PSO multiplayer offline all night and had a blast doing it. Sucks PSU won't be the same way. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nash
Nov 19, 2005, 02:24 PM
PSO multiplayer offline was a nice bonus, but it was only put in because it was a DC port and GC was powerful enough to do that in splitscreen.

So while it's a shame we haven't got it in PSU, personally I'm glad they took the time to create a new engine that gets as much out of the PS2 as possible rather than re-using the DC engine yet again.

If there's ever a version or follow-up to PSU on the next-gen consoles, you'll probably see offline multiplayer return because they will be powerful enough to do the PS2 engine in splitscreen. A high-definition display would also be much better for splitscreen.

Android18
Nov 22, 2005, 03:21 PM
So wait what your saying is that Multiplayer... as in two player offline is impossible... Such as like in the old PSO, so in this there is no splitscreen at all...

OdinTyler
Nov 22, 2005, 06:51 PM
Correct. Offline (as it stands) is a regular RPG with pregenerated characters. So far, you only have full control over your main char & the others are AI-controlled NPCs. I just hope you can have SOME control over them. Im getting back into the offline feel. Ive been working on Tales of Symphonia for GC. Its a GREAT RPG, if anyone's heard of it. Alot of work involved, but worth it. I still cant believe Im ONLY on Disc1. How long is this freaking game??? LOL

PhruitBaskit
Nov 22, 2005, 07:30 PM
On 2005-11-19 10:09, Tomonari wrote:
I used to invite friends over and we'd play PSO multiplayer offline all night and had a blast doing it. Sucks PSU won't be the same way. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yeah, that was always a lot of fun. I'll miss playing with a bunch of my friends and think it sucks too! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif But it makes sense that there isn't one (oh my god, I admitted it!) with offline being an RPG and all...

OdinTyler
Nov 23, 2005, 09:52 AM
S'ok tho. Im used to playing a regular RPG by myself now. Add to that Im meeting ppl on here that I can team up with online. The wait's a killer, but, I know it will be worth it when the game releases.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 23, 2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty used to playing solo nowdays too. When I'm offline that is...And this is a good place to meet ppl that you can play with when PSU actually comes out. Damn the killer wait! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif 'Better be worth it

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 10:32 PM
On 2005-11-23 19:06, PhruitBaskit wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty used to playing solo nowdays too. When I'm offline that is...And this is a good place to meet ppl that you can play with when PSU actually comes out. Damn the killer wait! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif 'Better be worth it

YEAH?! OR WHAT?!

PhruitBaskit
Nov 24, 2005, 10:10 AM
What is...Nothing! I don't really care about the wait. I just want the game to come out. I know it'll be worth it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif It's the next Phantasy Star! The wait for PSU WILL totally be worth it...

Nash
Nov 24, 2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, it's going to be well worth the wait. And atleast we have a date now to look forward to.

12 weeks today!

PhruitBaskit
Nov 24, 2005, 10:25 AM
But that twelve weeks is the wait for the JP version, right? Cuz I don't think I'm importing...I prefer to play my favorite games in a language I understand http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Well worth the wait though

Nash
Nov 24, 2005, 10:34 AM
Yep, 12 weeks till the Japanese version.

But from the trailers and game clips that have been shown in Japan with English subtitles, I'm hopeful that language options might be in the game like the original PSO.

The Japanese version of Puyo Puyo Fever, which is also by Sonic Team, goes completely English if that's what your PS2 is set to. Obviously PSU is a much bigger game, but it is possible they've been developing a single international version of the game based on what we have seen so far.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-11-24 07:35 ]</font>

PhruitBaskit
Nov 24, 2005, 07:36 PM
One thing about an international version...Lips moving like they're talking JP but their voices speaking English. I hope they take a little extra time to possibly change that and make English lip animations while they speak. It's something that I'd wait a little longer for...

I'd hate for PSU to be like one of those Japanese to English movies

F-o-x
Nov 24, 2005, 07:57 PM
I personally wouldn't care if they took the time to re-do the lip animations for the English ver. Acctually if it meant the game coming out sooner I'd prefer it if they didn't. Something like that is merely superficial.