PDA

View Full Version : Oh, foo...

Blitzkommando
Nov 19, 2005, 08:07 PM
So, it's cold outside, and my dog was barking at something outside while I am on the phone. I finally see what she was barking at, a cat. Well, a kitten actually. So, obviously, we have to bring the cat in so as it does not freeze to death in the cold. Well, that's fine and dandy, except the kitten is scared. So, I get it inside the house, have a box and towel and water ready, get the cat into the box and... it climbs out. Repeat this several times until the cat has run off into the basement. And that's where I am right now. Trying to figure out just where it got to, and how to get it out. I've never had a cat before, tell the truth, never wanted one either. But now we have a kitten scared to death somewhere in the basement. Any ideas on how to get it out of hiding, and more importantly, how to contain it until we either find out the owners or get it to the animal clinic?

Scrub
Nov 19, 2005, 08:26 PM
Put out some food for it and hide. When it comes out, shoot it.

I'll give you 10 bucks for its head.

EJ
Nov 19, 2005, 08:32 PM
On 2005-11-19 17:26, Scrub wrote:
Put out some food for it and hide. When it comes out, shoot it.

I'll give you 10 bucks for its head.

*In a Mr.Burns voice* Excellent.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 19, 2005, 09:00 PM
I sincerely hope that you weren't intending to get any useful advice in FKL.

Blitzkommando
Nov 19, 2005, 09:06 PM
On 2005-11-19 18:00, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I sincerely hope that you weren't intending to get any useful advice in FKL.

Ehh... I figured it would get moved from Off Topic for some reason or another. So I posted it here.

rena-ko
Nov 19, 2005, 09:30 PM
first, see if you can figure out how old the kitten is. then find out if a cat of that age would be able to care for itself.

if it is able, just put some food there (dry food and a bowl of water.. kittens get diarrhea from milk). then put a cushion or blanket into a corner. dont use that box. it will eventually use the blanket if it wants to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2005-11-19 19:25 ]</font>

Maridia
Nov 19, 2005, 09:30 PM
I would recommend getting more than one person in to search so you can corner the little guy if possible. Try to seek out and nooks and crannies it could get into, and as you check them, attempt to block them off so it can't move back into them. If you catch it, it'll probably try to bolt again, which is why having someone else would come in handy. Any friends you could call over for kitten rescue duty? Just keep trying, you'll get him eventually. I sure hope your basement isn't as cluttered as mine is. When you get him back, for god's sake, shut all doors and block off any entrances. Good luck, Blitz. Kittens are wirey little buggers at the most comfortable of times. ;o

Blitzkommando
Nov 19, 2005, 09:37 PM
Hmm... It is about two fists big, so about maybe 7-8 inches long, about 5 or so high to top of head. Cute little bugger, but a might bit of attitude as I know that it is scared.

As to the basement clutter... Well, yeah, it is absolutely terrible clutter. I've been working on it recently, and was planning on doing so today, but I came down with a pesky head flu and have been incompacitated for the time being. That of course certainly doesn't help the situation.

Ah, well, thanks for the advice thus far.

Wyndham
Nov 19, 2005, 10:24 PM
i suggest you just use tuna.
it always worked for me.

Zelutos
Nov 20, 2005, 05:02 AM
I'd say it's hiding in/behind/under something, so check everything that has an openining or that it could access to http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

space_butler
Nov 20, 2005, 06:59 AM
itll come out when its hungry

Sef
Nov 20, 2005, 09:52 AM
On 2005-11-19 19:24, Oran1324 wrote:
it always worked for me.

Yeah, your parents knew just what to do.

Wyndham
Nov 20, 2005, 01:29 PM
On 2005-11-20 06:52, Sef wrote:

On 2005-11-19 19:24, Oran1324 wrote:
it always worked for me.

Yeah, your parents knew just what to do.

no, when i hid they used flashlights and threats.
but when my cat hid i used tuna.
i always ate a little bit before i set it down though.

Blitzkommando
Nov 21, 2005, 08:34 PM
My dad finally got the kitten in my dog's old pet carrier today. No worries, it has plenty of room and is safe from my rather curious dog. If anything, I think it would be more dangerous for my dog than the cat. Cute little thing, rather scared notably. Grey and white colored, with those weird gold-green eyes. It has longer hair, possibly a Persian? I just hope we can find someone willing to take it, or more preferably, the original owner. We did contact animal control, and it is a whopping $25 for them to pick it up. Makes sense why there are so many stray pets with that kind of cost.