PDA

View Full Version : PSU release date announced (Japan)

Nash
Nov 22, 2005, 11:35 AM
From this week's Famitsu:

February 16th, 7140 yen http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I never expected it to come out in December because they've talked so little about the online mode, but this is going to be a painful wait. Thanks for Jonnyram on GAF for the news.

RoninJoku
Nov 22, 2005, 11:46 AM
A painful wait indeed... At least other MMO's can help to ease the pain... I have been pulled into WoW recently, like so many others... Damn game and it's trendiness... It even pulls me from my message board crack addiction! (Why am I here now then? Because it's weekly scheduled server maintenance time!)

But yea... I too was having a hard time believing they could pull off a December release (even for Japan) when we have heard and seen so very little of the core element of the game-online mode... And plus I remember the testing delays of Ep1&2, a straight release date would just be too good to be true...

vox3om
Nov 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
I'm officially pissed.

DeathMachine
Nov 22, 2005, 12:05 PM
So, is this the release date for Japan only? Does this mean that America will have to wait several more months?! Dear God, NOOOOO! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Shade-
Nov 22, 2005, 01:25 PM
And I was hoping that would be more like the US release date http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. Now I'm sad.

Lovejuice
Nov 22, 2005, 01:38 PM
It's a bit depressing yes, but on the other side of the coin - I'd much rather see Sega spend more time polishing the game as much as possible, rather than rush a christmas release (which has the potential to be suicidal going up against things like Kingdom Hearts II). That is, if it's simply being delayed thanks to development issues, and not some irritating distribution/legal/resource issue or whatnot. They seem to be treating PSU with a great deal of care, over say, the lax treatment of recent Sonic escapades. Long may it continue, we'll all still be here come February!

Still, this might not neccessarily effect the US release date a great deal, infact who knows, they might even be pushing it back in order to have everyone play together, translate everything, or something (yes, yes, it's doubtful I know, before you all scream, shout and set fire to my hair)..

Truth be told, from what we've seen in press releases and stuff, there really has been little focus on the online side of things, and heck, that whole part is like, half the selling point of PSU. While the offline mode certainly seems complete, perhaps they need more time to sort out online issues, especially if it looks like they WON'T be taking advantage of the PS2 hard-drive for updates and stuff. Guess we'll have 10 more weeks or so of Friday updates!

Zarcon
Nov 22, 2005, 01:44 PM
Well, look at it this way.
Maybe someone working on it has been browsing these forums and they want to add some of our ideas! =O
Okay, maybe not but still, if it means there'll be less bugs and possibly more features (come on seperate offline/LAN mode...) then I can wait.
Even if it means I go insane while I wait...

OdinTyler
Nov 22, 2005, 01:56 PM
Well, this is a surprising turn of events. We all expect non JP releases to be pushed back, but, Japan? Most disheartening, but, we as the PS faithful will stick it out, checking updates, discussing topics even til the final release date is known & then, let the celebration begin! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Til then, we wait & wonder...

Rion772
Nov 22, 2005, 03:23 PM
This means we will have to wait till the may release?

Nash
Nov 22, 2005, 03:41 PM
As far as I know, this is the first time a date for the game has been announced. The December dates came from unofficial sources or online retailers. So the game hasn't actually been delayed, Sega Japan always had the game as just 'Winter'.

The original PSO was released one month after the Japanese version, so I'd say the earliest we can expect the Western release is March although it could end up being May. I just wouldn't put much faith in retailer dates, as the Japanese release date has shown.

Now they've announced a Japanese date, I guess that means we won't be seeing a Trial version like with Episodes I-III either. When they did the beta tests they didn't commit themselves to a release date to allow them time to fix any problems they find. I'd like to see a scan of Famitsu though, just in case they have announced anything else with the date.

Neith
Nov 22, 2005, 03:50 PM
I'm actually a little glad in one way- it might keep JP players on the PSO servers a little longer, which I guess is good news for people playing it.

It is a shame the release date is so late though, I thought it'd be earlier than that =/

Blitzkommando
Nov 22, 2005, 03:54 PM
7140 Yen, eh? Anyone else here kinda taken aback by that price tag? Now, if this includes more than just the game, like a "special edition present" type thing I can see that hefty price tag. But, wow, I hope that price doesn't carry over stateside. It's bad enough to pay $40 for a game, even $50, but $70ish for a game seems very high. Now, I probably shouldn't be complaining since I did purchase a number of the "Collector's Set" games, but at least they came with shirts and hardcover books. I'm just curious if anyone else is a bit miffed by that price as well. (Just looked up GameCube games and they range from 5800-6800 JPY, DS 2800-4800 JPY) Or is this a rather common price in Japan now?

Nash
Nov 22, 2005, 04:00 PM
7140 is the standard 6800 yen price but with the sales tax included. 6800 yen is Sega's standard price for PS2 releases.

Mystil
Nov 22, 2005, 04:53 PM
On 2005-11-22 12:23, Rion772 wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of october. May would be a very good time for a US release. People will be getting out of school for the summer. ^_^

PJ
Nov 22, 2005, 05:17 PM
The original PSO Episode 1 & 2 for GC (Non-plus) was $80 Canadian originally. The price didn't lower very fast either, and was still more expensive than PLus when Plus came out http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I dunno why people are expecting the game to take so long to come out here after the initial release. Sonic Team has a good record for releases as far as I know. Original Episode 1 & 2 (Plus only took so long cause they had to decide whether or not to actually sell it), Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure 2, etc. etc.

Skuda
Nov 22, 2005, 05:41 PM
wasn't the english version of PSU to be released soon after the japanese release?

if so, we can hope to see a release date for probably march.

Dre_o
Nov 22, 2005, 05:41 PM
This is a happy ( or completely moronic) thought, what if they came out at the same time? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

....wait.....

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....What a pathetic thought.

-sigh-

Sir_Laguna
Nov 22, 2005, 05:47 PM
I have to agree with Lovejuice on this one. I think I'm about at the point where I can wait for PSU, because I'd much rather have a polished game than have one filled with the kinds of bugs we've come to love and hate over the years. That, and maybe they're working on more online content? Please, please, please give us more than just rehashed quests every few months!

Blitzkommando
Nov 22, 2005, 06:12 PM
On 2005-11-22 14:47, Sir_Laguna wrote:
I have to agree with Lovejuice on this one. I think I'm about at the point where I can wait for PSU, because I'd much rather have a polished game than have one filled with the kinds of bugs we've come to love and hate over the years. That, and maybe they're working on more online content? Please, please, please give us more than just rehashed quests every few months!

One where, as similar to say WoW, the world is stored online? Where new areas can be added as well as new items and whatnot? I think that would be seriously cool. Of course, with PS2 that might be harder to do, but not impossible.

Para
Nov 22, 2005, 06:17 PM
Any indication of online fee though?
And it sucks how the release date got pushed back ;o;

Ryna
Nov 22, 2005, 06:26 PM
On 2005-11-22 15:17, Nites wrote:
Any indication of online fee though?
And it sucks how the release date got pushed back ;o;

Official Sega literature has confirmed there is going to be an online fee. We just do not know how much yet.

OdinTyler
Nov 22, 2005, 06:41 PM
Heres some good points to consider concerning a delay in our release dates (tho thankfully, the official JP release date is known):

1. The building anticipation is getting more ppl aware of PSU & thus, we wont have to worry about there being a small community. PSU stands to have a bigger online community than PSO ever did (my hopes anyway).

2. Barring any financial difficulty, I think anyone would be willing to pay whatever price the game may turn out to be. As an example, I paid 80+ bucks for PSIV to get it ahead of most other retailers. I had to have it! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Apparently, the store I got it from was able to get it for me 2 days ahead of the others. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

3. Now that a PS game is on a more mainstream system like the PS, perhaps ST enlisted the aid of SOE to help on bug testing. Sure, it wouldve been nice to allow us to beta test (I wish they wouldve). However, with added time, it would allow for this to take place.

4. ST is really toting this game as an offline game with an 'online option'. With all this focus on the offline part, maybe now theyre really focusing on the online portion, including trying to put as much emphasis into it as the aforementioned story mode.

5. If the game is going to be more expensive, it would be nice if there were a deluxe package or even bonuses for getting the game in advance. I dont own anything imported from JP concerning PS & I think many can agree it would be nice to get some type of memorabilia or just a bit extra as a sort of thanks for playing an online PS game as long as we have.

I had other stuff to say, but, I just blanked out. Long day, Ill mention more as I think of it. Lets just see if we get our release not too long after the JP version.

GaijinPUnch
Nov 22, 2005, 07:23 PM
Odin:

If you preorder the game from SegaDirect (no, they don't ship abroad) there will most likely be a nice bonus. They've had a bonus for most PS releases. Version 1 on the DC came with a dogtag. Other shops in Akihabara will probably offer phone cards. We'll just have to wait and see.

Does anyone that read the article know if the PC version will be released at the same time? Fingers crossed.

OdinTyler
Nov 22, 2005, 07:32 PM
A dogtag? LOL Thats funny. It wouldve actually fit one of my rangers with that kind of bonus. Main reason I wont import an RPG is cause I cant read Kanji. Only way Id import a game if it had NO chance of coming here & pretty much, it can be played without the 'need' to read. I own a JP fighting game that never came here, never will. Anyway, I just meant for those of us that DONT live in Japan that want our US (or respective) release, that, we get something nice as a preorder or w/e.
I remember when I preordered the PS version of Lunar I got this really cool Ghaleon puppet (still in package). Ghaleon rocks! I was hoping to get the Alex one & I was disappointed when I picked up the game how the Alex one never showed up. The guy at the store felt bad & gave me another Ghaleon one. So I have 2. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And no, not selling em. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

GaijinPUnch
Nov 22, 2005, 07:46 PM
The kicker about the dogtags are that there are ten total, but you only got one (at random). I have 6 of them now... the ones I lack (Skyly, Greenil, and two others I can't remember) are pricey. O_o

Anyways, here's the reported preorder bonuses that come w/ the package (according to a poster at 2ch)
-Mini Soundtrack CD (contains main and opening themes)
-Visual Book (contains unused character settings)

To play online, you must obtain an ID through Sega Link. If you sign up between (http://segalink.jp) between 11/25/05 and 06/31/01, you will recieve one item.

No details on peripherals and a trial version.
-----------------

Damn -- why did I sign up just now? Should've waited a couple of days.

Rion772
Nov 22, 2005, 08:10 PM
On 2005-11-22 13:53, Silhouette wrote:

On 2005-11-22 12:23, Rion772 wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of october. May would be a very good time for a US release. People will be getting out of school for the summer. ^_^

Damn...if ST is making us wait around that long we better get way more than what we currently know about. A release that late is just ridiculous...bastards. Let's just be happy the games coming out.

OdinTyler
Nov 22, 2005, 08:14 PM
On 2005-11-22 16:46, GaijinPUnch wrote:
The kicker about the dogtags are that there are ten total, but you only got one (at random). I have 6 of them now... the ones I lack (Skyly, Greenil, and two others I can't remember) are pricey. O_o

Anyways, here's the reported preorder bonuses that come w/ the package (according to a poster at 2ch)
-Mini Soundtrack CD (contains main and opening themes)
-Visual Book (contains unused character settings)

To play online, you must obtain an ID through Sega Link. If you sign up between (http://segalink.jp) between 11/25/05 and 06/31/01, you will recieve one item.

No details on peripherals and a trial version.
-----------------

Damn -- why did I sign up just now? Should've waited a couple of days.

Dogtags of IDs? Well in that case, Id want my Purplenum. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif As for this signing up with Segalink, youre saying if I sign up between 05 & 01? So, in other words, if I go between a few days from now & go back in time almost 4 yrs, I can sign up for something in the future of 2006? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

GaijinPUnch
Nov 22, 2005, 08:53 PM
No, between now and 3001, obviously. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Should be June 2006.

I still don't see why people are whining about the date. It's not delayed... they've always said Winter, which middle of February very much is.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 22, 2005, 09:12 PM
I've been gone and am just seeing this topic:

All I can say is what the fuck!?! If February 16th is when the JP version is scheduled for release, how much longer will we have to wait to get an English version of PSU? I know the wait'll be worth it, but damn!

-Unbelievable-

Nash
Nov 22, 2005, 09:22 PM
Well hopefully PSU will see a return of the language options so we don't need to wait for the US release.

By the way the 25th is this Friday, so I'm guessing this week's update to the official site will include the Product page with the release date and information on the segalink.jp registration process.

Rion772
Nov 22, 2005, 09:36 PM
On 2005-11-22 17:53, GaijinPUnch wrote:
No, between now and 3001, obviously. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Should be June 2006.

I still don't see why people are whining about the date. It's not delayed... they've always said Winter, which middle of February very much is.

We're whining about this because we expected to be playing the U.S. version in Ferbruary...we didn't expect the Japan release to be so late.

I know exactly how you feel phruit, I was gone until like yesterday and I come back to this...it's ridiculous.

Parn
Nov 22, 2005, 09:46 PM
What's ridiculous is your bitching over a release date, as if Sega went out of their way to inconvenience you.

GaijinPUnch
Nov 22, 2005, 09:53 PM
Indeed!

I was 90% sure it wasn't going to be in December -- they're just starting all this 5-year anniversary stuff on BB. Maximum Attack 3 is next week (or the week after) I believe. No way PSU is coming out w/ all that going on. Doesn't make good business sense.

Rion772
Nov 22, 2005, 10:48 PM
On 2005-11-22 18:46, Parn wrote:
What's ridiculous is your bitching over a release date, as if Sega went out of their way to inconvenience you.

Why don't you chill out.

I said before: Damn...if ST is making us wait around that long we better get way more than what we currently know about. A release that late is just ridiculous...bastards. Let's just be happy the games coming out.

I have every right in the world to bitch about this too, everyone does. We expect a U.S. release in Feb. and ST even says it would be out winter of 2006. OCTOBER-ish is NOT winter of 2006, I mean I expected may at the latest and was happy for that but this means we have to wait for a whole year almost. Some of us (not me) were having trouble waiting for a Feb. release. No one said that ST went out of their way to inconvience us either, unless I happened to miss something.

It's not nice being away for a week, then coming back to awful news. People have the right to speak so get used to it, whether what they say is good or bad. I myself could use a longer wait, I need time to get the system requirements to even play, what I was getting at is since sega is pushing the release back that far they could atleast fill us in with more stuff. Also it's not ridiculous to bitch over a release date, would you bitch if you got all super excited for a game to come out and you thought about it a lot then you hear that you have to wait A LOT longer to play?

Seriously, some people want this game A LOT more than you do so you aren't within the right to say it's ridiculous and say that people shouldn't be mad about this, no one is. No one can say people shouldn't be angry and sad, they're emotions, you can't tell people how to feel. Not even the constitution gives you the right to tell people their wrong when they aren't and tell them not to feel something when they have the right to.

K? I'm done, sorry if this is messy and if puts people in "fight-mode". It just annoyed me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rion772 on 2005-11-22 19:52 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Nov 22, 2005, 10:49 PM
I'm wondering if SEGA is going to be doing something for those who can rip the DVD off the internet and then play it on their American PS2 using some kind of thingie... of course, I have the JP PS2, so I'm getting the official version no matter how much is the cost. I'll just wait until US version till I get to play online...

Para
Nov 22, 2005, 11:04 PM
On 2005-11-22 19:49, Sharkyland wrote:
I'm wondering if SEGA is going to be doing something for those who can rip the DVD off the internet and then play it on their American PS2 using some kind of thingie... of course, I have the JP PS2, so I'm getting the official version no matter how much is the cost. I'll just wait until US version till I get to play online...

then maybe I should consider the JP PC version and.... >_>

DeathMachine
Nov 22, 2005, 11:04 PM
About how much longer until the PC version comes out anyway?(as if my computer were powerful enough to play it) It would be a month or two later right? So those holding out for the pc ver. will have to wait while the console persons gloat with glee? That seems to suck in my opinion. However, didn't they say they were pushing to get it out at the 'same time' or something?

GaijinPUnch
Nov 23, 2005, 12:41 AM
Anything at this point is speculation. AFAIK, the JP-PC version release date is still TBA. I'd love a simulatneous release, but I figure Sega knows they'll sell more of they delay the PC release... especially if the HL and characters are shared between the two.

_Tek_
Nov 23, 2005, 01:59 AM
All I'll say is that a psu demo better come out quick.

therealAERO
Nov 23, 2005, 07:08 AM
Does sega have any Sonic Game coming out in America soon? Maybe we will get a Demo of PSU in Sonic Riders. Just how we got a Demo of Sonic Adventure 2 with PSO. Anyway as for the price tag. Once you guys get a job a 70$ price tag isn't that bad.

I would pay $100 or more for this game for all the time and effort has been put into it. Also who says we aren't still getting it in Feburary.

Sega would be able to make a lot more money with a Simultaneous release. Casual gamers don't check if a game is getting released in Japan at the same time. If not...and the Japanese version has an english subtitle I will so buy it first...and a japanese Ps2.

Fossil
Nov 23, 2005, 07:52 AM
I'd rather Sega took more time to finish the game and test it to fix bugs ahead of time*cough*blue burst* instead of trying to release it so quickly.

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 08:15 AM
On 2005-11-23 04:52, Fossil wrote:
I'd rather Sega took more time to finish the game and test it to fix bugs ahead of time*cough*blue burst* instead of trying to release it so quickly.

That's a very good point. There are only a few good things coming from this late release for me. More time for me to get the requirements and less bugs. I'll just play socom II until then I guess, or play the demo when it comes out over and over again.

Parn
Nov 23, 2005, 08:30 AM
On 2005-11-22 19:48, Rion772 wrote:
Why don't you chill out.

"Daddy, I want to open my presents now!"

"No son, you have to wait until Christmas."

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH YOU'RE SO MEAN WAAAAAAAAAH!"

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 09:11 AM
On 2005-11-23 05:30, Parn wrote:

On 2005-11-22 19:48, Rion772 wrote:
Why don't you chill out.

"Daddy, I want to open my presents now!"

"No son, you have to wait until Christmas."

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH YOU'RE SO MEAN WAAAAAAAAAH!"

Seems you forgot or didn't read that I prefer the wait, more time for broadband and them to fix bugs, also I said I didn't mind, that I would play Socom II until the release so your post is pointless. I don't care if you compare me to a whiney kid, it's fine that ST makes us wait. But why don't you tell every person who's been in PSU general and posts here a lot that they should whine about the difference of a 6-7 month release date. Don't come here just to bash us for our opinions, don't tell us that we're ridiculous for being mad that we have to wait 3x as long especially when there's people here who've been watching this game for months now.

Also, NO I'M NOT WHINING. IF I WAS WHINING I WOULD SOUND A BIT LIKE THIS "WTF?! WHY?! WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS...NO THEY CAN'T, *SNIFF SNIFF*. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEM, WHY?! THEY'RE SO MEAN!!! I HATE THEIR GUTS...HOW COULD THEY DO THIS?!" If you're going to continue to bash us for our opinions about a late release date then just leave. We're here to discuss PS related topics, not fight like troubled couples. Not many people were whining, there's a difference between whining like a kid and bitching. So just drop it. No one wants to see a fight just because of a release date, get over it.

A late release date is bad news, and it's good news. We now have a longer wait, but now the game will have less bugs and mistakes. I can wait for the late release. Who's going to have trouble waiting?

OdinTyler
Nov 23, 2005, 09:28 AM
I guess Ill step in as mediator before it gets out of hand. We're all getting emotional & thats ok. We just dont want the topic getting locked up. Lets try to understand where each other is coming from, even if we dont agree. Lets just continue to discuss our thoughts about the release without attacking each other.

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 09:32 AM
That's what I was getting at.

What does everyone think of a 6 month later release than expected? Does it have any positive affect on you?

Rubesahl
Nov 23, 2005, 01:24 PM
Aaaw too bad :/ Oh well, I'm importing with or without language option so I don't mind the wait that much. I really do hope the wait is worth it though. It was gonna be hard importing it for financial reasons this December anwyays ...

lostinseganet
Nov 23, 2005, 02:03 PM
Man by the time this comes out in the USA. PS3, and Revolution will be all the rage. E3 will have already happened, and the consle wars will be in full bloom. I do not think that they want to sell this to the main stream US gamer(potiental hacker).

DavidNel
Nov 23, 2005, 02:12 PM
According to my local Video Game Shop in Georgia (USA) the game is suppposed to be out in English some time in May. I'm now not sure if I like the wait time, because if it comes out in May then I can get it for my birthday (FREE STUFF TIME!), but on the other hand... I WANT THE FREAKIN' GAAME NOW!!!

Ryna
Nov 23, 2005, 02:41 PM
Rion772 and Parn, calm down a little bit. I know we are all disappointed by the later-than-expected release date, but there isn't too much we can do about it. I'm sure they are using the extra time to do additional testing to work out bugs. Who knows, they may use the extra time to do a public beta.

Rion772
Nov 23, 2005, 08:53 PM
All we can do now is wait and see...

Edit* Actually it doesn't really matter to me because me and 2 of my team mates are importing so that's all good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rion772 on 2005-11-23 18:27 ]</font>

_Tek_
Nov 24, 2005, 12:30 AM
Instead, let's play PSO!

*cries*

GaijinPUnch
Nov 24, 2005, 01:14 AM
What does everyone think of a 6 month later release than expected? Does it have any positive affect on you?

The point is, peoples expectations were based on... well... nothing. Just rumors on the internet which as everyone knows, can't be trusted.

PrinceBrightstar
Nov 24, 2005, 04:07 AM
I've been importing since V2 and i'm not stopping now. Catch you guys 3 months after release.

Anyway here's the reason why there's such a delay. A while ago, in an interview, a quote was given stating that there would be no updates to the online mode. Simply put, They're putting everything in it now and the only thing they're going to do is just keep the servers up. While I admit that it's a bit unusual to not have a stress test first, it may be that Online mode won't even be activated until you complete the offline game and so they'll have time even after the fact to get everything ready by leaving quest information and such on the server. By doing this they can go gold on the disk and continue to work on the online dev of the game, plus with the rolling release of the online mode based on how fast players can finish the game their first time through. Then when its up they can move onto the next PS project while just leaving a few GMs to watch things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2005-11-24 01:13 ]</font>

Nash
Nov 24, 2005, 09:37 AM
What about the statement that PSU would have additional online content for years after release? I don't remember reading anything that they'd gone back on that. It would make it very hard for Sega to justify a Hunter's Licence.

The game also hasn't been delayed, it just has a date now whereas it was just winter before. They've just been working to a timetable than we didn't actually know before. I think more information about online mode will be released in the weeks coming up to the February release, they've just chose to release offline details first as that makes for more interesting site updates and magazine articles.

PSU is a major release for Sega, and from the amount of work put into the offline game to the things we know already about the online game (the huge lobbies, player rooms, the character customisation), I really don't think they are just going to throw it out the door and forget about it. The next PS release will most likely be based on PSU, and as such they have to keep the PSU community alive and supported.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-11-24 06:46 ]</font>

_Tek_
Nov 24, 2005, 04:03 PM
On 2005-11-24 01:07, Jonathan_F wrote:
[large amount of text]
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2005-11-24 01:13 ]</font>

I agree, they'll probably cram the whole thing in one disc, then release the game and let it fly away. Since the ps2 owners dont have hard drives, they can't download a ton of new graphics for new quests, and seasonal changes.

Kupi
Nov 24, 2005, 04:39 PM
Well, Nash, saying that they won't have any additional offline content might just be the honest way of describing the online experience that we've gotten from previous PSOs. Namely, they might add new quests using the same component parts (like levels, enemies, and weapons), but they won't add new components because everything needs to be read from the disc. So it sounds to me like the online experience from PSU will be very much like what we've gotten from PSO, just much, much bigger.

Nash
Nov 24, 2005, 04:43 PM
On 2005-11-24 13:03, _Tek_ wrote:

I agree, they'll probably cram the whole thing in one disc, then release the game and let it fly away. Since the ps2 owners dont have hard drives, they can't download a ton of new graphics for new quests, and seasonal changes.

PSO has always been done this way. All the music, graphics, models etc. they need for quests and things like seasonal changes are already on the disc. But server updates will still probably decide when things are unlocked or triggered. The actual data for the quests themselves is tiny, just map data, text and scripts, so they are added to the servers and download into memory.

I see no reason why PSU will be any different to DC/GC PSO when it comes to getting regular online updates. In fact with all the extra content that's been created for the offline game, there will probably be more variety in the online quests/events because they have more to work with.

GaijinPUnch
Nov 24, 2005, 04:45 PM
Jonathon: Do you have a source for that article? That sounds... fishy, to say the least.

F-o-x
Nov 24, 2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah that does sound kinda fishy. Especially since I read (I know I read it somewhere, no source though) that we'd be getting weekly quest updates at the very least.

Also what you said before GajinPUnch:

The point is, peoples expectations were based on... well... nothing. Just rumors on the internet which as everyone knows, can't be trusted.

This is exactly what I was thinking the first time I read through this thread, although I didn't post it. The only ones we have to blame for our dissapointment is ourselves. We never got anything concrete from the developers until now.

Now I'm not saying I'm not dissapointed as well... as I was hoping for a stateside Feb release but I'm a patient man. I can wait for something I know is going to be spectacular.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-o-x on 2005-11-24 14:53 ]</font>

Para
Nov 24, 2005, 06:50 PM
Rofl @ everything.

Sounds more like a typical...

Sega: "We don't feel like doing jack after the game release."
Yuji Naka has expressed that he dislikes having to always update and patch for online cheaters etc. The supposed truth that Jon said they just want to leave the servers up is an example that SEGA might not want to have much to do with Phantasy Star Universe after they release it except provide the most basic elements of service, maintenance etc.

What about the statement that PSU would have additional online content for years after release? I don't remember reading anything that they'd gone back on that. It would make it very hard for Sega to justify a Hunter's Licence. I have to agree on that... Many online games even now provide a fair bit of content without having to pay an online fee. PSU isn't even a MMO.

I agree, they'll probably cram the whole thing in one disc, then release the game and let it fly away. Since the ps2 owners dont have hard drives, they can't download a ton of new graphics for new quests, and seasonal changes. That's why it was a shitass idea to develop it on the PS2 and not include the use of the HDD. The online concept of PSO:BB looks much better than PSU's. Its great that SEGA is going all out on a single player mode but single player modes won't cut it in today's gaming industry. Even Nintendo has finally realized that. People thrive on community interaction and being able to share their gaming experiences with those that feel the same way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nites on 2005-11-24 15:50 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Nov 24, 2005, 08:25 PM
That's why it was a shitass idea to develop it on the PS2 and not include the use of the HDD.

Sony 86'ed the HDD support, not Sega.

Para
Nov 24, 2005, 08:44 PM
Oh that's right... retract that statement http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif but the HDD is an important component to games these days imo since it allows the game to be upgraded for future expansions.

I mean take PSO:BB. Didn't have Episode IV before but now we have Episode IV. Sega did a great job to compensate for the delay of Episode IV by providing basic content for us to play with such as Episode I and II.

Got Phantasy Star Universe v2 anyone?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nites on 2005-11-24 17:45 ]</font>

Kurosawa
Nov 24, 2005, 08:48 PM
I think we all have to be realistic about it, especially given ST's wretched track record.

One: NA and EU users are NOT important to ST. Any hacks on the game (and there will be hacking and duping) will continue unchecked on US and EU servers. Updates will be minimal. Anyone who thinks that there will be a new quest each week or even a new quest each month is deluding themselves. And JP players will get the bulk of quests and items. US and EU users will be neglected.

A Febuary release date will probably equal a May release date for the US version. I expect dupes to be around by then, and therefore most US players will never experience the game in a clean way.

These delays will NOT be used to increase content and make the game more secure. It will never get regularly updated with new content and quests, nor will it ever be clean. This is the way ST ran all previous versions.

The first year will have the occasional quest, with promises of more to come (quests for the best unreleased items will never happen, just as they never have for Episode I and II), and duping will be rampant, as every idiot on the game will run around with plentiful super-rares, destroying whatever economy the game has and unbalencing it in favor of cheaters or those who are lame enoungh to take dupes.

Second year things will begin to decline, with the occasional user-created FSOD. Rumors of pking or some sort of character destruction will start.

By the third year the game will be ran by dupers and cheaters, but still playable.

By the fourth year it'll be like GC and XBox PSO are now-unplayable.

It's going to be a great game. It'll be fun and addictive. But anyone who thinks ST will update it or protect it is kidding themselves.

And the US and EU users will never get jack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kurosawa on 2005-11-24 17:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kurosawa on 2005-11-24 17:54 ]</font>

F-o-x
Nov 24, 2005, 09:13 PM
Kurosawa... Holy hell. Thats a bit pessimistic don't you think? I mean yeah you're absolutely correct. This is the way things have happened in the past. But thats just it, it was in the past. They don't have to stay the same forever.

Kurosawa
Nov 25, 2005, 01:43 AM
On 2005-11-24 18:13, F-o-x wrote:
Kurosawa... Holy hell. Thats a bit pessimistic don't you think? I mean yeah you're absolutely correct. This is the way things have happened in the past. But thats just it, it was in the past. They don't have to stay the same forever.

This makes their ninth Phantasy Star game with online play. Let's look at the previous games:

1. DC PSO: hacked, dupes, fsod
2. DC PSO V2: hacked, dupes, fsod
3. PC PSO: hacked, dupes, fsod
4. GC PSO Episode I and II v1: hacked, dupes, fsod
5. GC PSO Episode I and II v2: hacked, dupes, fsod
6. XBOX PSO Episode I and II: hacked, dupes, fsod
7. GC PSO Episode III: hacked, fsod
8. PSO Blue Burst: fsod and dupes

Maybe it'll just have FSOD and dupes galore, along with no quests. Joy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kurosawa on 2005-11-24 22:47 ]</font>

Kurosawa
Nov 25, 2005, 01:45 AM
n/m

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kurosawa on 2005-11-24 22:46 ]</font>

F-o-x
Nov 25, 2005, 03:21 AM
Yeah I hear you. They have made mistake after mistake after mistake, as far as the cheating aspect goes with PSO but I'm still going to give them the benifit of the doubt. There is a chance, however slim, that they will get it right this time.

PrinceBrightstar
Nov 25, 2005, 05:01 AM
PC is now confirmed for the same day. same price. Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP ONLY

Lovejuice
Nov 25, 2005, 05:54 AM
Ooh... am I reading that right? Pre-ordering through Segalink (http://segalink.jp/campaign/psu/) gets us an item inside the game? I wonder what it could be! Sure, it'll be something utterly useless after level 5 or so, but they might come up with something clever - special PM bits, or some 'visible' item. Hmm! Then again, I might just be reading that funny Japanese lingo wrongly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2005-11-25 03:25 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Nov 25, 2005, 07:14 AM
On 2005-11-25 02:01, Jonathan_F wrote:
PC is now confirmed for the same day. same price. Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP ONLY

WORD!

And Kurosawa
JP BB isn't that bad. Very few dupes, if any. No FSOD (none that I've seen) and not hacked. ST/Sega do well when they want to.

LoveJuice: Read a post of mine up a bit. You have to register an ID at SegaLink. Doing so until 06/31 and you get the free (probably crappy) item.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaijinPUnch on 2005-11-25 04:15 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Nov 25, 2005, 12:20 PM
I could be mistaken (since my japanese isn't very fluent and Kanji reading is my greatest weakness), but it seems like it was saying PSU PS2 and PSU PC use the same ID Link username?

Correct me if I'm wrong (which is likely for the above mentioned reasons), but if so, it could mean both versions are connected since it means you could use your characters in any version since they use the same login information.

vox3om
Nov 25, 2005, 12:35 PM
Honestly I'm not worried about the release date right now. The later the better most likely, I want this game to be the best it can be before released. Plus if it is later, we will all be getting it closer to summer time, then we will have tons more time to play the game...and possibly more money haha.

PhruitBaskit
Nov 25, 2005, 01:23 PM
Ooh,I never thought of that before...Then we would have A LOT[b] more time to play. Summer is 100% free time...

GaijinPUnch
Nov 25, 2005, 02:41 PM
On 2005-11-25 09:20, DarK-SuN wrote:
I could be mistaken (since my japanese isn't very fluent and Kanji reading is my greatest weakness), but it seems like it was saying PSU PS2 and PSU PC use the same ID Link username?

I hope so -- where are you reading this? 

DarK-SuN
Nov 25, 2005, 06:18 PM
In the topics section of the PSU website, the bottom Sega Link ID button.
It talks about the whole prize item (it seems?) and so on, but always mentioning the ID as being the same for PC and PS2, unless I'm understanding something wrong (likely).

Para
Nov 25, 2005, 07:51 PM
So have we confirmed the preorder bonus stuff?

Jools
Nov 25, 2005, 09:10 PM
So the bonus stuff is just for paying to go online, yeah? I'm sure Sega Direct will have a further bonus for pre-ordering the actual game with them.

-Jools

GaijinPUnch
Nov 25, 2005, 09:30 PM
I can't find it saying either way whether the Sega Link ID's are shared, but considering there's only one Sega Link, one can deduce that ID's are shared for PS2 and Windows.

Bonuses have been confirmed for a few days now. It says that "supplies are limited" though. Most likely, limited to the amount they were able to make. Chances are Sega Direct will also have a seperate bonus of some sort -- a mobile phone strap, phonecard, or the like. Maybe even a more expensive collection set.

Echizen
Nov 25, 2005, 11:21 PM
Those who pre-order the game will be treated to an artbook and a soundtrack CD.
Those who want to play the game's online mode will need a Sega Link ID. Users can register for this ID free of charge. Those who sign up between November 25th and January 31st will be rewarded with a free in-game item.

WorldAtWar
Nov 26, 2005, 03:56 AM
Pre Order Goodies?

Sweet, I am there.

therealAERO
Nov 26, 2005, 05:38 AM
Wait...playing online is free???????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
???????????????????????????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: therealAERO on 2005-11-26 02:39 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Nov 26, 2005, 07:01 AM
Okay, how about a list of things we know, that have been posted many times, but in one place.

-Feb 16th for both PS2 and PC versions
-Preorders (actually not pre-orders, but while supplies last) will get a book and mini-CD. These will probably not be rare at all, and I'm sure most import shops will ship with them.
-Playing online requires a Sega Link ID. This ID is FREE, but doesn't mean you can play for free. I've got an ID for PSOBB, but I still pay a monthly fee for it to be active. Set up your ID before 6/30, and get an in-game item (even if you signed up before 11/25, you'll get the in-game item, they say).

So far, it's much less of a hassle than PSOBB. BB had all kinds of hurdles for foreigners to join. The website to join would detect your OS langauge and block you if it wasn't Japanese. You also had to provide a Japanese address to join. Neither are the case with Sega Link. I joined on my Linux box even.

Things we don't know.
-Sega Direct promo items
-US release date
-If servers are cross-region
-If the JPN release will have English option a la just about every other PSO game.

Jools
Nov 26, 2005, 07:32 AM
God bless ya GP.

-Jools