PDA

View Full Version : The End of PSO

MetaZedlen
Nov 22, 2005, 09:36 PM
When PSU comes out, what will be the fate of PSO? Hopefully not everyone will drop this game, because i know i wont.

Ryna
Nov 22, 2005, 09:42 PM
On 2005-11-22 18:36, Zedlen wrote:
When PSU comes out, what will be the fate of PSO? Hopefully not everyone will drop this game, because i know i wont.

By the time PSU comes out, there won't be that many PSO players left. The GC population is on its last legs and BB is in a state of decline. Once the population reaches a certain level, it is likely that Sonic Team will start to merge servers on the different platforms. Eventually, it will come to the point where the servers will be shutdown. Of course, there will still be people playing PSO, but the vast majority will be playing PSU. The question at the moment is whether the servers will stay up until PSU comes out.

GaijinPUnch
Nov 22, 2005, 09:51 PM
Japanese DC servers are STILL up, btw. I think there will be a way to play PSO somehow for a while... just will be pretty lonely.

Dhylec
Nov 22, 2005, 09:54 PM
Well, it's a natural process. People like to play with new things & ignore older ones.
But then, there are some who can't get the new game, so it's best to continue the old one. Also, it's for nostalgic value sometimes. ;]

Forte1224
Nov 22, 2005, 10:28 PM
But once online servers go down... you have to play alone. Which sucks. Sucks hard. Unless you have many friends that actually want to play PSO with you. My friends got tired of it and gave me their accounts. So many summers gone away.

Mystil
Nov 23, 2005, 12:41 AM
Look at PSO's history for a sec..

DC PSO averaged around 3400(english speaking) players at any given time, and Oberon alone usually housed 900-1000 players.

GC PSO averaged around 1600(english speaking and post-dupe method/hacking/mass dupe/FSOD days) with Vega housing about 340-400.

If you see where I'm going with this then you'll think PSU isn't going to have a very big player base of US and European players.

Jkid
Nov 23, 2005, 01:30 AM
I still play PSOX even if I get the Xbox 360. but when PSU comes, I'll abandon PSO, for good.

xxTrystanxx
Nov 23, 2005, 02:06 AM
Kinda sucks for those of us who don't have the hardware to run PSU. I'd hate to think that PSO will shut down entirely (or at least not immediately following PSU's release).

Bladehunter
Nov 23, 2005, 06:52 AM
I will keep on playing PSO when I get PSU for the same reason that I bought Sonic Adventure DX a few days ago, collection value and unique gameplay.

Fossil
Nov 23, 2005, 07:40 AM
PSO is still very much alive compared to what a lot of people believe. I'll just say that the "other" place to play is what PSO will live on after the servers are closed and PSU comes out. That's if they all haven't migrated to PSU by then.

PJ
Nov 23, 2005, 07:44 AM
On 2005-11-22 21:41, Silhouette wrote:

If you see where I'm going with this then you'll think PSU isn't going to have a very big player base of US and European players.

PSU is on the PS2 and PC. Hmmm...

Neith
Nov 23, 2005, 08:39 AM
I'm buying PSU for PC when it's released, but I can't see me stopping playing PSO- it's the game Ive given the most time to (except POSSIBLY FFVII), and I'd hate to see it disappear.

I'll likely move to the 'other' place when the official servers go down- hunting the SJS offline just isn't worth it at all.

Saiffy
Nov 23, 2005, 08:44 AM
On 2005-11-23 04:44, PJ wrote:

It's also a completely different game.

Phantasy Star Online Ver1/2
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2(& 3)
Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst

Notice a trend?

By the time BB came out, a lot of people were sick of PSO. GC, not a lot of people could neccisarilly buy the stuff to get online. With PSU, you're almost guarentee to have the stuff to get online(Unless you have the old, fat PS2, which you need the adapter for.)

MetaZedlen
Nov 23, 2005, 08:14 PM
I must say that if PSO does go down, maybe something will be done to be brought back up like the makers of FF7 are doing.

Zarode
Nov 24, 2005, 01:19 AM
On 2005-11-23 17:14, Zedlen wrote:
I must say that if PSO does go down, maybe something will be done to be brought back up like the makers of FF7 are doing.

Like another remake? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oh yes, I can see it now. PSO: Red Rage! Now with episode 6! Because Episode 5 sucked balls before it even got released! With new items, new reskined monsters, and worse AI! And godly hax stuff to make it seem like you hack, but you are actually legit. And impossible drop rates! Want a saber? 1/you'll-never-get-it-now-mwa-ha-ha-ha http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Back on topic. Good bye old, hello new. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif It's time for it to die, because all ST is doing is beating this game like a very dead and flat horse. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

REJ-
Nov 24, 2005, 08:47 PM
As long as this site exists, PSO will still be alive in some way. "PSOW", note the "PSO" in it, plus we've spent so much time figuring the game out, that it would be all for nothing if the game died the moment PSU comes out. Also, I don't think many people here are willing to start a new site called PSU World.

The same thing will happen to PSU in the future, one ther are more than 3 remakes, the game will be another dead horse right next to PSO, But both will still be alive in some way, when the next game comes out.

Mystil
Nov 25, 2005, 12:08 AM
On 2005-11-23 05:44, Saiffy wrote:

On 2005-11-23 04:44, PJ wrote:

It's also a completely different game.

Phantasy Star Online Ver1/2
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2(& 3)
Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst

Notice a trend?

By the time BB came out, a lot of people were sick of PSO. GC, not a lot of people could neccisarilly buy the stuff to get online. With PSU, you're almost guarentee to have the stuff to get online(Unless you have the old, fat PS2, which you need the adapter for.)

The slime PS2 has a network adaptor?

I didnt include BB in my post because I am ignorant to thier population.

Saiffy
Nov 25, 2005, 12:43 AM
On 2005-11-24 21:08, Silhouette wrote:
The slime PS2 has a network adaptor?
Yeah, and I got my fat PS2 and network adapter right when the slim one came out >.>

I didnt include BB in my post because I am ignorant to thier population.

It seems to be rather low from what I hear, about GC's population last summer, maybe a little before that.

trypticon
Nov 25, 2005, 01:08 AM
Missed the chance to make my mark on that community, didn't I?

Oh well, memories of The Stuff lives on in the minds and hearts of the few, the proud, the fwouns.

kazuma56
Nov 26, 2005, 01:14 AM
yea, i'm gone from PSO once PSU hits, I MIGHT (if I don't already) plan and try and get Kazuma to lvl 200 on GC offline or on the "other" servers but as it stands, PSO is already getting less and less fun the more I play the game...5 years is a LONG time to be playing the same game....

xxTrystanxx
Nov 26, 2005, 04:12 AM
I don't own a PS2, and I can almost guarantee that my computer won't meet the system requirements to run PSU on PC. I'm not going to buy a new console or a new computer for one game.

Bluehog
Nov 26, 2005, 11:25 AM
I'm never giving up on PSO, all I have is Ep 1&2 for GC. It has taken far to long for me to abandon the characters I have worked so hard on (see signiture). Level 200 is my goal for all and I will see it through

Sadam100
Nov 27, 2005, 04:29 PM
PSO will never die as long we its fans stay with it also i'd like to i have seen pics of episode 1,2 and 4 will be on ps2

Blazer01234
Nov 27, 2005, 04:44 PM
It won't end by a long shot because look at the dream Cast it cam out 95/96 still going.
but PSU on PS2 and Pc WHAT ABOUT GC?

Sadam100
Nov 27, 2005, 04:56 PM
I think people will stick with pso for a long time this forum shows it as more and more people are joining everyday

Mystil
Nov 27, 2005, 06:42 PM
On 2005-11-26 01:12, xxTrystanxx wrote:
I don't own a PS2, and I can almost guarantee that my computer won't meet the system requirements to run PSU on PC. I'm not going to buy a new console or a new computer for one game.

At best you'd only need to buy a new graphic card, and install a DVD drive. Maybe 1 new stick of ram too. Money don't grow on trees so I want sound like getting those is no prob. Just know, if you need to buy a new computer for an online game, then your computer is severly outdated.

Before I got my Dell Deminsion 2400, I was using an early 90s dell model(P1 =P) that didn't even have 2 gigs of HDD space. When FFXI(one of the reasons I had to give up my granny comp) came out I had to buy the 2400, 2 new sticks of ram(1GIG in total), and a graphic card.

Now this computer will run any pc online game. So if you have one with a P4, you probably only need to buy 1-2 requirements, maybe none at all.

Demon-
Nov 28, 2005, 02:37 AM
Never stop playing PSO untill they yank the servers. I will play both PSO and PSU when it comes out. I think PSU will do well because it's not another update from a old dreamcast game.

DocC93
Nov 28, 2005, 09:20 AM
I will continue to Play PSO offline. When Universe comes out Heck YEAH i will play it. i just hope I can get that heart of chao before the servers get yanked. Also Would a PS2 bought in 2003 count as a fat old ps2?

Sadam100
Nov 28, 2005, 01:23 PM
On 2005-11-28 06:20, DocC93 wrote:
Also Would a PS2 bought in 2003 count as a fat old ps2?

It depends on what type of disk holder it has if it had the tray then yes if its like the old ps1 then no

Android18
Nov 28, 2005, 02:45 PM
Hey, I ordered PSO for the Xbox the other day... I have it on GC. But i was wondering if any of you actually play online anymore? If so im looking for a party to do C-Mode with sometime maybe... Oh and a question for Xbox live PSO... Are you able to Talk to each other via Xbox Communicator? Thx

metatime
Nov 28, 2005, 03:08 PM
Yes you can play online with GC still. GC still have a dedicated group of legit people that still play at all times of the day. You just have to find them. Some like c-mode so getting a game in isn't too hard especially since the Japanese are there too.

Android18
Nov 28, 2005, 03:19 PM
Would you happen to know anything about the communicators? At all... I know about the little symbols but can you actually talk to one another?

Cahill
Nov 28, 2005, 04:06 PM
Voice is supported in the Xbox version.

Android18
Nov 28, 2005, 04:34 PM
Ahh, thank you very much. I am much happier with my decision to get it for xbox then.

RADiaNtVOiD
Nov 28, 2005, 04:57 PM
Yea man i am a part of the PSOX community if you want to play legit meet all of us at Davburite 10-01 if you are looking for me i am the little white HUmar whose name is ^_^. so find me we will play.

Genoa
Nov 28, 2005, 10:18 PM
Sounds like alot of people are fearing that PSU will steal their fun from PSO... but give PSU a chance eh? I mean... the small table scraps Sonic Team throws at us has changed the minds of many PSO players towards the upcoming PSU... And then there's the people who fear change and cling to the thing they like at the very moment... Both are not good >_> Don't drop PSO the second you get PSU... you might dislike it's gameplay... I mean, it's not going to be like PSO in most aspects >_> ... and those who don't want to get PSU and cling to PSO... you might find that PSU is actually the better game for you? But you don't give it the chance...

Have faith in Sonic Team... they might screw over alot of people with their glitches and flaws... but they sure as hell know how to make a great game. (Plz don't go into PSO3 for you card haters out there >_> It was a completely different gameplay... some loved it, some hated it... that's your opinion)

And we can all testify that PSO will not die the second PSU comes out... "Oh man, when BlueBurst comes out... the GC and Xbox are going to die".... please... >_> look how long it's taking? And PSOBB is the same gameplay as PSO1&2... this whole knew gameplay will probably keep alot of PSOBB players out there because they won't like PSU's change...

But you can bet your life i'm going to be on PSU... infact I have a friend who played BB with me alot... and she quit now... but she e-mails me and we're going to meet on PSU again... But who knows, I might not like PSU... but I doubt I won't... The Phantasy Star saga has captured me... This is the only type of game that has held me in it's interests this long... (and Starcraft a close second http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2005-11-28 19:23 ]</font>

g00dman12
Nov 28, 2005, 11:21 PM
I will be geting a 360 and I will still play Pso For my xbox

Sadam100
Nov 29, 2005, 01:16 PM
Im with megamanx give PSU a chance i know i will as i will get it.

Sir_Laguna
Nov 29, 2005, 10:40 PM
I can see Blue Burst staying on for at least a few months to a year after PSU comes out, as that's the freshest version of PSO out there (and the only one left with a decent-sized active community), but I think the GC/Xbox servers might not last much further than PSU's release.

As a few people have said before me, with each re-release of PSO, the active community has gotten smaller and smaller. We're seeing the numbers of the Blue Burst community depreciate more rapidly than any other PSO so far, and I think that's because a lot of people have just gotten tired of it. That's not to say it's not a good game anymore: There's still quite a bit of love for the game, otherwise we wouldn't see so many people visiting PSO World and continuing to do so over the years. It's just that, from my observations, the majority of the PSO players-- those that played version 1 and 2 on Dreamcast as well as people from the early days of the Gamecube version-- have quit because they had done everything there is to do in the game thousands of times over, without anything new to chew on. When Blue Burst came out, sure, some came back, and they played Episode 4, but then a lot of them left shortly afterward. It just wasn't enough to keep them interested in playing.

I imagine there just isn't a lot of time left for PSO in general. I think PSU's community, however, has the potential to be almost as big as PSO was back on the Dreamcast. Almost all of the former PSO players I talk to about PSU plan on playing it online, and the PS2 has a very big fanbase, so the game could draw in a lot more people.

I think that, as PSO begins to die off, we will see a rebirth of Phantasy Star's active player community, and possibly thensome.

Shigecki
Nov 30, 2005, 01:04 AM
Look at PSO's history for a sec..

DC PSO averaged around 3400(english speaking) players at any given time, and Oberon alone usually housed 900-1000 players.

GC PSO averaged around 1600(english speaking and post-dupe method/hacking/mass dupe/FSOD days) with Vega housing about 340-400.

This is a misleading example. It doesn't take into consideration that there are "two" servers of PSO, GC and Xbox. If the two totals were to be combined, the numbers would be very compareable.

Mystil
Nov 30, 2005, 01:20 AM
I forgot all about Xbox. I'm not perfect ; ;. But you get the general idea I hope!

r0llz69
Dec 2, 2005, 02:50 PM
On 2005-11-22 18:42, Ryna wrote:

On 2005-11-22 18:36, Zedlen wrote:

By the time PSU comes out, there won't be that many PSO players left. The GC population is on its last legs and BB is in a state of decline. Once the population reaches a certain level, it is likely that Sonic Team will start to merge servers on the different platforms. Eventually, it will come to the point where the servers will be shutdown. Of course, there will still be people playing PSO, but the vast majority will be playing PSU. The question at the moment is whether the servers will stay up until PSU comes out.

isnt there a way to run a homemade server or something??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: r0llz69 on 2005-12-02 11:50 ]</font>

xjustsumloser
Dec 3, 2005, 11:35 AM
There already are homebrew servers for each platform except xbox. Though we cant talk about them here. I woudlnt say its the end of PSO. as long as there is some form of a server people will keep playing.

PlatinumBub
Dec 4, 2005, 05:22 AM
The likelyhood of the PSO servers remaining up after PSU releases is slim to none. Just look at the DC servers. Bundles of people used to play on that, and now they are a thing of the past. The PSO servers are still second behind the BlueBurst servers, so when PSU comes out, PSO servers are at the bottum of the food chain. Im sorry to say all this, but it is most likely true...

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 4, 2005, 12:53 PM
Anyone remember April Fools here at PSOW this year? Anyway I was wondering about the server thing as well so i'll be putting an inquiry into clumsyorchid to see if he knows anything about the life of the servers and what sega will and won't allow when the servers finally go down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2005-12-04 10:02 ]</font>

Phazer
Dec 5, 2005, 06:47 PM
look they wont close blueburst servers yet, they will probably close dc and maby gc, dc because of its age and gc because of the low #'s
they might not close anything

look at all of us, even those of us that just use this site for other purposes these is no way they will close BB, i cant say the same for the others though.

gc, xbox, and dc will die off not too long after psu but the thing that separates them from BB is that BB is constantly being updated.
pso still has a few years of gameplay

although it hurts me to say this BB's population is low, i never see any 1 on anywhere but ship 1

also the gameplay for psu's gameplay is completely different if you have seen any of the movies, it will actually take a bit of skill to fight instead of the 3 hit combo of pso
people will have trouble towards the beginning and get discouraged

well if you realy want ANY type of pso to survive here is some advice:

GET YOUR FRIENDS TO PLAY!

Dragon_Knight
Dec 6, 2005, 08:53 AM
Well I'm jumping ship to PSU, much as I'd hate to leave everything behind I think it is time to go. Finaly getting to play online with the arrival of BB was a refreshing but even now PSO has lost its glitz...which is funny cause I've played every PSO save for three to its end.

Sadam100
Dec 6, 2005, 02:32 PM
so ur jumping ship coz ur borded of pso that is stupid yet reasonable this is because i feel that there is much more to be descovered in the world of pso.

WhiteDisciple
Dec 6, 2005, 05:22 PM
On 2005-11-23 22:19, Zarode wrote:

Oh yes, I can see it now. PSO: Red Rage! Now with episode 6! Because Episode 5 sucked balls before it even got released! With new items, new reskined monsters, and worse AI! And godly hax stuff to make it seem like you hack, but you are actually legit. And impossible drop rates! Want a saber? 1/you'll-never-get-it-now-mwa-ha-ha-ha http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oh yes, Apocalypse/Power here I come. (1/googolplex from a Fish Rappy)

Dragon_Knight
Dec 7, 2005, 12:32 AM
Sadam100- On the other hand how am I going to justify spending $16 a month if I only bother to play one of the games? I've been at PSO since the DC days I think I've discovered all there is too see, and quite frankly there never was all that much to see aside from the challange of raising one of each mag type.

MetaZedlen
Dec 9, 2005, 10:17 PM
wow i have 2 points to make.

1. i didnt expect this many people to still be playing PSO even after PSU comes out, and
2. i love those who still wish to play PSO for times to come.

shinobu_seta
Dec 11, 2005, 02:57 PM
I'll play PSO till they take the servers down. And even still, there are still "other" ways to play. I just love the game, it's hard to explain.

Admittedly, I'll probably quit PSO for a few months while I get the hang of PSU, but then I'll probably play both.

purity80
Dec 12, 2005, 12:23 PM
I will never ever stop playing pso unless of course my memory card explodes . Anyone who will stop for a crap game like PSU sucks . He .

Sadam100
Dec 12, 2005, 03:40 PM
On 2005-12-06 21:32, Dragon_Knight wrote:
Sadam100- On the other hand how am I going to justify spending $16 a month if I only bother to play one of the games? I've been at PSO since the DC days I think I've discovered all there is too see, and quite frankly there never was all that much to see aside from the challange of raising one of each mag type.

right ok point taken