PDA

View Full Version : Get a life...

Sharkyland
Nov 23, 2005, 06:49 PM
Really... I sometimes hate it when someone says this to you. It's like an insult saying you're inferior to me. So my life sucks in your eyes, woo-pee-da.

I'm not in college where I can almost meet my friend 24/7, and so what if I do live my parents and somewhat have a crappy job. I plan to have some changes in the future mind you, but it takes time and won't perform overnight like everyone wishes too. Also, I think you should worry about your own life instead of meddling around with other's lives and telling them how they should live by accordance to your standards. Sure I'll listen to what you have to say if you have anything to say after that dubious phrase. Yes, I can improve my life to make it better, and I'm pretty much satisfied with it.

So... what's my status:
- I'm in my late 20s... 27 to be exact.
- I live with my parents.
- I pay for electricity and water bill.
- I also pay for my credit card, car insurance, health insurance, and dental insurance. And soon to be paying my own taxes (man, I hate taxes). About god damn time my parents teach me how to do it without asking them every year how to do it. Yeah, it seems my parents have been doing their taxes through somebody who helps them with their taxes.
- My friends are either working or going to school Monday thru Friday and are too busy to hang out with me (sometimes busy on the weekends). Sure I talk with them on the phone or on an IM service, but that's it.
- I work at the USPS (usually monday thru saturday) as a mail carrier hopefully being upgraded to an inspector (which make me FT not PT) after getting a my experience worth so if I don't want to become an inspector I can't move to another position within the USPS if that job is available. (I am currently happy with my work because I am satisfied with it and with all this mail... only leads to job security.)
- My sister moved out of the house (now in Georgia) due to her husband's work which is an Air Force Doctor; therefore, the house was ORIGINALLY to be entitled to her, but since I found a job locally, I am now entitled to the house and the mortgage has been finally paid off.)
- My school loan has been paid off, yay.

Sure, I have plans to what to do with my life (and you might think they fucking suck), but I know I'm doing something.

People have different goals in life, and life for one thing doesn't come with directions, so don't ever... fucking... tell me to get a life. Really, you shouldn't say that phrase but help them with their life (if you think you're so right with your life).

PJ
Nov 23, 2005, 06:59 PM
I liek how some people seem to associate, "Having a life," with, "Having a boy/girlfriend."

"You need a girlfriend, you don't have a life."

"OH MY GOD, AM I DEAD?!"

Sharkyland
Nov 23, 2005, 07:23 PM
On 2005-11-23 15:59, PJ wrote:
I liek how some people seem to associate, "Having a life," with, "Having a boy/girlfriend."

"OH MY GOD, AM I DEAD?!"

I know what you mean too well.

ABDUR101
Nov 23, 2005, 07:37 PM
Hey, my brother and I still live at home. He's 27, I'm 22. I pay bills, he pays some bills, we help our parents around the house with all kinds of stuff, we put money toward grocceries, we help with family when they need large sums of money(I've personally paid for two sister's mortgages this year, just short of their houses going up for auction, as well as car insurance for both of them. They're in their 30's, and I'm the youngest of the bunch)

So fuck what anyone says. I live at home, and to be honest, it gets rough not being on my own, but then I like living at home as I've always enjoyed being close to my mom and dad. Besides, atleast living at home, I don't have to be so stressed about not having enough money for things. I've held down a steady job for the last five years, I've been able to direct funds to help other people, and there's always ups and downs, but this is atleast a steady way to live.

So don't worry about it, if you're comfortable, who really gives a shit?

InfinityXXX
Nov 23, 2005, 11:31 PM
Before I start off. I think there is nothing wrong with a person staying with their parents IF they are working and paying bills or going to school.

On to the topic

I really hate it when people say "get a life" and then try to make you live life the same way they do. I tell people I prefer RPG's over sport games and they got to get all siddityfied and sh*t sayin I need a life(they can kiss my ass, thats what they can do) but yeah, I feel ya Sharky, just ignore those peoples or tell them to kiss your ass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-11-23 20:32 ]</font>

digigram
Nov 24, 2005, 12:46 AM
I love that phrase.. I hear it all the time.. yep, I too, need to get a life.. what, with my wife, self owned business, 2 dogs, bills, friends, family, games, interests, accomplishments, music, etc.

I have no life.. damn, I need to get one.

oh.. and i'm 26. (felt i'd just add to the age thing).. hehe.

navci
Nov 24, 2005, 01:11 AM
Well. Your friends who told you to get a life who are in school prolly are on student loan, and will be in debt for the next 10 years. Partying and thinking that they are hot stuff and will get all the cool jobs once they are graudated.

Ya.
I think PJ is right. By a life, they mean "get laid". Which of course, is the most important thing in the entire universe. >.>

Ya right.

digigram
Nov 24, 2005, 02:22 AM
By a life, they mean "get laid".

Eh hem.... *clears throat*.

Perhaps I am wierd.. but having had such experiences, I can tell you all.. it's not the most important thing in the world. But i'm sure you know that.. heheh. While it is fun and such, I have come to the conclusion long ago, that it is purely primal.

Bladehunter
Nov 24, 2005, 05:02 AM
Hahaha, I can't rant enough about my mom on this topic.
She's always on about how socially incapable I am because I relax in front of my GC instead of sitting in fromt of the TV 10 hours of the day, like she does.
And she thinks that my eyes would get less damaged by watching TV! Wtf is that? When I play GC, at least I'm active and doing something, not just rotting in my chair. And she also goes on about that I never go out and do stuff, meet people. But I play just about >only< RPG games online, meet people every day. And I'm only 16, but she's bitching about me never finding a girl unless I change. Ranting in circles soon, better stop while I can.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 24, 2005, 05:54 AM
Get a life is a shallow phrase.

What do they mean exactly?

Get a life (like mine, like the rest of us, like normal people)?

Shit. Define normal.
Some people don't follow the same blind path.

Differences are always going to be there.

Saying someone doesn't have a life without a comparison stated, is just telling someone that they shouldn't ever talk to you anymore. They're not part of your life since they aren't doing the exact same stuff you are, aren't into the same hobbies, aren't going after the same goals?

Shallow.

Heh, a lizard man was on TV the other day.
Teflon material implanted under his skin around his eyebrows, green/scale tattoos covering nearly all his body, his tongue modified to be more snakelike, etc.

He said he is doing something he loves, has made a living out of it, has a girlfriend-soon to be wife, a house, and a boring home life-even though he looks like a lizard or freak.

He changed his life after getting schooling and working in a 9-5 office job. It wasn't for him, slaving away to get the car, get the house, get the girl doing something he dreads with all his might.

People are too damn nosey and need to mind their own business, especially when nobody asked them to judge you.

Wyndham
Nov 24, 2005, 09:33 PM
i know this sounds stupid, but Sharkyland, you really helped my situation just by posting this rant.
someone whose opinion i respected needed to say it, you did it outright.
everyone else, you helped too.
i agree with you, the get a life thing does get old.

EphekZ
Nov 24, 2005, 09:39 PM
On 2005-11-24 02:02, Bladehunter wrote:

And she thinks that my eyes would get less damaged by watching TV! Wtf is that? When I play GC, at least I'm active and doing something, not just rotting in my chair.

actually it's proven that since videogames are more repititave its the equivalent of doing nothing. Some alpha waves or something go down which isnt good.

in short...you're half asleep

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2005-11-24 18:39 ]</font>

Mystil
Nov 24, 2005, 11:56 PM
On 2005-11-23 15:59, PJ wrote:

"OH MY GOD, AM I DEAD?!"

Oh shit. I hadn't have a relationship in 6 years. I guess I better start thinking about killing myself! For I have no life~! >_>

haha.

Hey Sharky- don't sweat it. I'm -4 years younger than you and do all that except I have 0 insurance and I pay everything household wise and I live with my mom. I don't make enough to have to pay taxes.

It's all good man, this kind of life isn't so bad and nothing is stopping anyone from going out and having a good time right?

Bladehunter
Nov 25, 2005, 03:25 AM
On 2005-11-24 18:39, darkgunner wrote:

On 2005-11-24 02:02, Bladehunter wrote:

And she thinks that my eyes would get less damaged by watching TV! Wtf is that? When I play GC, at least I'm active and doing something, not just rotting in my chair.

actually it's proven that since videogames are more repititave its the equivalent of doing nothing. Some alpha waves or something go down which isnt good.

in short...you're half asleep

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkgunner on 2005-11-24 18:39 ]</font>

Uh... Well... I fall asleep in front of the tv because it's so boring! ...guess that's not an excuse, huh...