PDA

View Full Version : Why do most anime series not end neatly?

SS_Death
Sep 10, 2002, 06:51 AM
Why is the ending of Neo Genesis Evangelion so wierd? It left everything hanging. Kind of like the last Tenchi never finishes things off properly...

Why does this keep happening?!

ABDUR101
Sep 10, 2002, 07:10 AM
Please, if you're going to post possible spoilers, please put a warning. You would'nt beleive how much is pisses people off when an ending is ruined, and it's happened to me on many boxsets I've bought. I'm halfway through watching it, or haven't even started it, and someone ruins it right off the bat.

As for NGE, they are releasing End of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth for people who don't understand the ending. It isn't really that weird, you just have to think about it.

I never saw the end to Tenchi.

Some are left open, as if there is no ending, because you're supposed to feel that it keeps on going, even though you don't get to see what happens. Use your imagination. Some are left un-ended("properly") because there are mangas to that particular anime, and by reading the manga you get the possible continuation of the anime.

Angel Sanctuary for example, it doesn't really end after the three episodes you see, because there are alot of manga to accompany it.

I hope that helps.

And please, from now on, atleast warn if you're not sure if what you're posting is a spoiler or not. It's best to be on the safe side than to piss someone off.

Sojo
Sep 10, 2002, 09:40 AM
i think there was no real end to the Tenchi series because, well, it's life...

No real end to it that can be defined by a series such as it was..

After the anime, came the Manga and continued the story; there is no real end to it.

If you want a really sucky ending. watch the film "Cube", it has the worst ending of any film ever.

SS_Death
Sep 10, 2002, 10:09 AM
Ok, I get your point.

I don't think this is a spoiler, at least I hope not. Sorry to everyone if it is.

The ending made sense it just didn't conclude things in a way I would have liked. I guess its just personal preference.

The last Tenchi movie is available on DVD in the US. If you have the cash and the patience you can order it from there.

Deathscythealpha
Sep 10, 2002, 02:01 PM
On 2002-09-10 05:10, ABDUR101 wrote:
As for NGE, they are releasing End of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth for people who don't understand the ending. It isn't really that weird, you just have to think about it.

I thought they had already released them?

End of Evangelion was mean to clear everything up, because apparently alot of people were left confused by the ending.

Im only up to episode 9 of evangelion though cause i have to wait a week before the next episode. Damn im getting impatient.

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Sep 10, 2002, 02:36 PM
The Tenchi Muyo! story isn't finished yet. The sidestory "Galaxy Police GPX" was just shown recently in Japan, and work on the newest saga of the original Muyo! OVA is scheduled for sometime soon. ^_^

Shadow_Blade
Sep 10, 2002, 04:00 PM
They leave you wanting more. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Sep 10, 2002, 04:17 PM
An ending that forces the viewer to think is considered serious rather than superficial =>_>= I guess that's what they're aiming at =<.<=

Rhete
Sep 10, 2002, 05:57 PM
Or maybe because anime tries to be realistic. Things don’t usually turn out happily ever after in reality

IceBlink
Sep 12, 2002, 07:06 AM
Some series do it on PURPOSE so it leaves room open for a sequel, making more moola! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gifOOO

Or, they leave the ending open so viewers can take it to their own conclusion, and thus, they won't upset anyone with such a ending (Lost Universe, anyone?)

Alternatively, the stories ends in such a way, that any other ending would be a disappointment (Angel Sanctuary manga >_< Man, so much could have been added...)

ABDUR101
Sep 12, 2002, 09:50 AM
On 2002-09-12 05:06, IceBlink wrote:
(Angel Sanctuary manga >_< Man, so much could have been added...)

Don't get me started on the manga! Damn, if I start buying manga's I'll starve!

..but then..thats what you want, isn't it o_0

Sojo
Sep 12, 2002, 05:13 PM
That's another thing about open endings, it's leaves everyone free to write their own fan fiction.

Maybe that new Tenchi Muyo series is just going to be an animated version of the Manga...

Because the Manga did pick up where the TV series left off...

Guile
Sep 12, 2002, 10:44 PM
I've never really seen an anime "End"
they always leave more to the story

but thats good..
every anime movie I have seen always left more to the story...it makes you want more even know not a lot of sequels are made

Reef
Sep 12, 2002, 11:35 PM
personaly..for me...the screwed endies i love. because i am getting sick of the amercian "guy gets money,guy gets girl" or basic theme..i mean at the begining of movies ..uh..lets take serving sara for an example..(if you havent seen the movie,just skip right along so i dont ruin the ending to it,as someone else posted,but who cares right? its just a short movie) but he gets the girl,the money,and the vinyard,(spelling?) its so obvious! and so is almost every american thing,with animes,you always get those screwed endies,and i love em.(now,for those of you who know me,you know to ignore almost every word i said as nonsense and ignore me,but since u dodnt,ignore me entirely)

RuneLateralus
Sep 12, 2002, 11:51 PM
Here is the perfect answer to question stated in the name of this thread...

TO PISS YOU OFF!!!!

That, and thing usually are only parts of stories that are continued in Mangas.

Usually the second reason.

BWS-1
Sep 13, 2002, 12:11 AM
One major reason, to make money out of you. Especially for the manga continuity thing. I mean, if people sees it hasn't ended, they will want to see the real end, therefore they'll be ready to buy anything that will be called, SEQUEL! or NEW EPISODES! Plus, it costs less to make a manga then an anime, but they'll sale the manga at high prices in proportion of the anime. It's basicly only to empty your pockets and refill theres

Sojo
Sep 13, 2002, 08:20 AM
Not just that, but to keep the guy who started it in a job!