PDA

View Full Version : Kiss of the peanut kill's 15 year old !!!

eXo
Nov 28, 2005, 09:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/ap_on_re_ca/canada_deadly_kiss

Mon Nov 28,11:54 AM ET

SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Christina Desforges died in a Quebec hospital Wednesday after doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to the kiss the previous weekend.

Desforges, who lived in Saguenay, about 155 miles north of Quebec City, was almost immediately given a shot of adrenaline, a standard tool for treating the anaphylactic shock brought on by a peanut allergy, officials said.

An autopsy was being performed. Dr. Nina Verreault, an allergist at the Chicoutimi Hospital in Saguenay, declined to comment on the case.

The symptoms of peanut allergy can include hives, plunging blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat, which can block breathing.

Peanut allergies have been rising in recent decades. The reason remains unclear but one study found that baby creams or lotions with peanut oil may cause children to develop allergies later in life.

About 1.5 million Americans are severely allergic to even the smallest trace of peanuts and peanut allergies account for 50 to 100 deaths in the United States each year. Canadian figures were not immediately available.

Email Story IM Story Discuss Printable View RECOMMEND THIS STORY
Recommend It:

Average (2515 votes)
» Recommended Stories
Full Coverage: Allergies and Asthma
Off the Wires
Simple Test Gauges Childhood Asthma Control HealthDay, Sun Nov 27,11:47 PM ET Asthma Symptoms May Be Set By Age 6 HealthDay, Wed Nov 23,11:47 PM ET Feature Articles
Unique relief from asthma deep underground in Ukraine AFP via Yahoo! News, Nov 13 Catchings, other athletes find ways to manage asthma at USATODAY.com, Jun 15 News Stories
US ruling on Glaxo asthma drug wipes billions off value at The Guardian (UK)., Nov 22 Allergists Provide Better Asthma Care HealthDay via Yahoo! News, Nov 18 Opinion & Editorials
Locals must improve air quality to protect children with asthma at Louisville Courier-Journal, Jul 05 Intolerant allergies at The Guardian (UK)., Jan 26

Tact
Nov 28, 2005, 09:58 PM
I can relate to this, but I'm not the kind of person who swells up. I only itch everywhere...but I feel sorry for the both of them (The girl and her boyfriend).

Rion772
Nov 28, 2005, 10:59 PM
Well I feel sorry for the dude because it was in some sense his fault but then again he didn't know...that or he forgot like a fool. Sorry for the girl because she died from suffocation, probably a very scary way to go out. But there's 1 thing that bugs me...HOW CAN YOU BE ALLERGIC TO THESE SMALL THINGS?! How is it people die from a friggin bee... IT'S A BEE, not a giant with a heat seeker... People can be allergic to the smallest things, and die from them... it's just really wierd how things 1/1,000th of your size can kill you, not because it's a strong object, but because you aren't immune...

zwandude15
Nov 28, 2005, 11:09 PM
On 2005-11-28 19:59, Rion772 wrote:
How is it people die from a friggin bee... IT'S A BEE, not a giant with a heat seeker...

GI-GUE, got that? not bee....those are some scary things....lol...

Sharkyland
Nov 28, 2005, 11:15 PM
Even the amount of poison can be small from a snake, there is nothing the body can do much against it. Usually I think it's like an active enzyme which the body cannot break up. The body will start attacking the unknown chemical and pus will cause inflammation and swelling.

I could be wrong about this. If your body doesn't know how to fight it, you're kinda screwed.

PJ
Nov 29, 2005, 01:04 AM
My dad told me this story yesterday on our way to church... cause you know, I always love to hear these stories because I do have an allergy to Peanut Butter >.>;

InfinityXXX
Nov 29, 2005, 01:44 AM
My teacher I had once told us a story about how his baby son almost died after finding a peanut and eating it. His throat swole up so bad that he almost suffocated.

I feel sorry for that girl, her family, and boyfriend. May she rest in peace.

tank1
Nov 29, 2005, 06:14 AM
Man thats harsh your living life to the fullest one momement and then your dead a few hours later.

xxTrystanxx
Nov 30, 2005, 06:19 PM
A friend I had met on another online board has two sons who have celiac's disease -- He and his wife spent months seeing various doctors and each one giving them a different diagnosis, including "failure to thrive." because their sons wouldn't eat. Celiac's disease is an allergy to wheat. Talk about difficult diets!

tbmes11
Nov 30, 2005, 06:56 PM
You would figure that with all the medical research we have someone would have invented medicine to cure all of these reaction many people have.

It's such a shame.

REJ-
Nov 30, 2005, 07:04 PM
On 2005-11-28 19:59, Rion772 wrote:
Well I feel sorry for the dude because it was in some sense his fault but then again he didn't know...that or he forgot like a fool. Sorry for the girl because she died from suffocation, probably a very scary way to go out. But there's 1 thing that bugs me...HOW CAN YOU BE ALLERGIC TO THESE SMALL THINGS?! How is it people die from a friggin bee... IT'S A BEE, not a giant with a heat seeker... People can be allergic to the smallest things, and die from them... it's just really wierd how things 1/1,000th of your size can kill you, not because it's a strong object, but because you aren't immune...

One SMALL teaspoon of VX Nerve Gas is enough to kill around a hundred people. And the is no immunity to the stuff.

White_Knight
Dec 2, 2005, 04:45 PM
On 2005-11-30 15:56, tbmes11 wrote:
You would figure that with all the medical research we have someone would have invented medicine to cure all of these reaction many people have.

You'd think but most of the medical research is spent on things that kill hundreds of thousands in a year you know things like cancer and AIDS and stuff like that. Mostly do to the fact that people with allergies like that are told about it and should have the brains to tell people and avoid them. However I do feel sorry for all the people directly involved in the event. Imagine what's going through the guys head right now. "HOLY FUCK I JUST KILLED MY GF NOW HOW AM I GOING TO GET SOME."

tbmes11
Dec 2, 2005, 06:11 PM
[/quote]

You'd think but most of the medical research is spent on things that kill hundreds of thousands in a year you know things like cancer and AIDS and stuff like that. Mostly do to the fact that people with allergies like that are told about it and should have the brains to tell people and avoid them.

[/quote]

I agree, but strongly feel perhaps more money should be put into research for everything that could lead to this type of thing happening.