PDA

View Full Version : Getting an mp3 player, any suggestions?

Neith
Nov 29, 2005, 06:40 PM
I'm after getting an mp3 player for my birthday (10th December http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif), and was having a look on some sites. Now, I listen to a lot of music, but I'm not sure if splashing out on a 512MB+ Mp3 player will be worth it, or whether a 256MB one will be enough.

To be honest, I really, really like the newest mp3 player from Sony (the NWA1000, or NWA3000). The only problem being is that the smallest one is 6GB, and 150 pounds, which is quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

After a bit of looking, I found this one:
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=rvisb&page=title&r=ELEC&title=848268

Never had an mp3 player before, so me and my old Walkman are feeling a little prehistoric. I'm assuming you can just swap around the tracks you have on it at will. For people who know about these, does the one in the link look fairly decent?

Cheers!

Forte1224
Nov 29, 2005, 06:48 PM
Depends how much music you have. I first thought 256 would be enough too... then my library grew. I gave my 256mb away to my sis and I bought a 1gb but now I seem to be needing a 5gb+.

I suggest if you go for small capacity ones..

Go for iRiver or Samsung Yepp.

I'm the audiophile. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Also, if you want quality sound, upgrade your headphones asap.

zwandude15
Nov 29, 2005, 06:57 PM
Well I suppose it depends on how much you would like it to hold. A 256mb wont hold much, and a 512 wont hold too much either, a 256 might hold approx. 60 or so songs, and a 512 might hold 125. 1 gig holds about 250 (enough for about 20 or so albums). Of course, if you want more than that, and you will most likely want more music, the price is gonna go up a bit. Of course its easy for anyone to say go for an iPod because they're easy to use, they'll hold A LOT, and they make for good eye candy. Assume how many songs you want so i can give you a bit more variety.

Blitzkommando
Nov 29, 2005, 08:40 PM
It really depends on how many songs you want with you and what quality these songs will be. For myself, I try to use the highest quality settings as I personally can hear the difference. Some people it doesn't matter, if that is the case, then pick up a smaller product.

However, even in lower quality, you are still limited by player size. We, being my parents and I, have been collecting music for years and I have converted most of the CDs to MP3. It's given me a good near 70GB of music, most of which I would like to listen to again. In my case I wanted at least 20GB so I would spend less time switching tracks on the player and more time enjoying the music. So, pick what fits your needs best. If all you listen to is a CD at a time and don't mind lower quality sound, then pick up a little 128 or 256MB stick player. But if you listen to a bit more than that feel free to bump up what you get.

Also, just as a heads up, many of the large MP3 players (1GB or more) double as external storage for your computer. Some people find that useful so I thought I would mention it.

Eihwaz
Nov 29, 2005, 08:59 PM
I'm not going to recommend an MP3 player, but I am going to recommend what I consider to be the greatest headphones of all time: these (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDRJ10%2fBLUE&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_hear).

I'm wearing a pair right now (I linked to the color I'm wearing, but they have other colors too http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif). They are amazingly comfortable, super light, and they last for an incredibly long time. My last pair lasted for nearly a year, being used almost daily. Finally, I lost sound in one side. Still usable, but I felt compelled to drop 10 bucks for a new pair.

Derek0660
Nov 29, 2005, 09:19 PM
On 2005-11-29 15:48, Forte1224 wrote:

Also, if you want quality sound, upgrade your headphones asap.

Those headphones from Creative are really good. I had a Zen Micro until an unfourtanate accident (from which I will refrain from telling) but the headphones still work even after going through the wash. They never click (98dB bass) and never skip.
I can see your reasoning, however. Normally, the earbuds that come with the player SUCK ASS.

Sharkyland
Nov 29, 2005, 10:23 PM
I got my mp3 player for free when I bought a new computer from DELL. It has a 5GB storage system, connects the computer via USB. I think it's going on for $129, but I dunno if the can send it to you in UK (check it out) I like it a lot.

Neith
Nov 30, 2005, 07:59 AM
Hmm, I reckon I have around... 40-ish albums? Most of which, I still listen to. However, I don't know if I'd need all that on the player at once.

Let's see, a 1GB player should hold around 256 songs, if 1GB is taken as 1024MB, and songs are around 4MB each. That sounds like it'd suit me fine, so I guess I'll just fork out a little more for the 1 Gig player (same as the one in the link, just a 1 Gig version).

Anyone got a Creative mp3 player? If so, was it reliable?

Rubius-sama
Nov 30, 2005, 12:04 PM
I'm going to recommend getting at least a 1GB mp3 player even if you don't think you'll need that much space. Trust me...that's what I thought at first too. Then you'll want to put in a little bit of game music, a little bit of this and that, and that space just won't be enough.

I haven't used one myself but Creative makes sound blasters, so you can trust MP3 players coming from them, even though the one in the pic seems a little pricey. A 512MB player should cost about £50, at least it does here in NA.

Feelmirath
Nov 30, 2005, 12:22 PM
In my opinion, get an iPod. True, there are other mp3 players out there, but there are a gazillion perhipials (probably sp) you can get for an iPod. Plus, i have 524 tracks on my mini, so with one you wouldn't have to worry about space.
The only snag is that you have to re-rip all your albums onto iTunes, which i do NOT recommend doing all at once. But in my opinion, iTunes > WMP, and it also means i can send you tracks without having to put them back onto WMP myself!
>_>

But yeah, if you're looking for something more around that price range, you might want to go for something different.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feelmirath on 2005-11-30 09:24 ]</font>

Reno
Nov 30, 2005, 02:03 PM
I personally have a 1GB Creative Zen Nano Plus and it works fine for me. It's small, lightweight, holds a reasonable amount of songs which you can just drag and drop onto it when it's plugged in (iTunes bleh) and it's useful as a storage device for my work etc too http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I would also say that any less than 1GB will definately not be enough, I can't fit all my music on this one by any means, but there is at least a reasonable amount to swap them around from time to time without getting too much repetition in between (although that suits me fine anyway, sometimes I don't want to listen to all my music as my tastes seem to vary)

The headphones that come with it are ok, and I would actually say they are similar in quality and comfort as those sony headphones that were linked (which I also have a pair of)... I don't use them however, as they are disgustingly "iPod white" >_>; *runs away*

Derek0660
Nov 30, 2005, 04:01 PM
On 2005-11-30 04:59, UrikoBB3 wrote:

Anyone got a Creative mp3 player? If so, was it reliable?

I got a Creative Zen Micro. The only problem I had was that I hed to upgrade the firmware but their tech support did a great job helping me out with this http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The only snag is that you have to re-rip all your albums onto iTunes, which i do NOT recommend doing all at once.

You actually don't. You can just select the "Add Song To Library" thing and it just imports the songs into your iTunes library.

You can now get the Creative Zen Micro Photo that has a color screen and photo viewer and an 8GB Micro Drive for $250 USD (you probably don't want to spend that much though).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Derek0660 on 2005-11-30 13:07 ]</font>

Feelmirath
Nov 30, 2005, 04:20 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only snag is that you have to re-rip all your albums onto iTunes, which i do NOT recommend doing all at once.

You actually don't. You can just select the "Add Song To Library" thing and it just imports the songs into your iTunes library.
Not in my day, you couldn't ><

tbmes11
Nov 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
iRiver and Sandisk are good choices if your looking for a 256 or 512 MP3 player.

However, if your really into music and videos I strongly suggest you get the new iPods that play videos. They are 20GB+ so you know you'll never grow out of them once you get one. It's a investment that I for sure don't regret

Olga
Nov 30, 2005, 07:12 PM
DON'T BUY AN IPOD!!! get a Creative Zen 20 GB... its 200 dollars on http://www.buy.com
ITS WORTH IT! I HAVE ONE!

WashuSaotome
Nov 30, 2005, 09:27 PM
Preach it, Olga!

Seriously... Creative is the way to go. More bang for your buck. Much more!

Until the price drops, I suggest you don't even touch an iPod.