PDA

View Full Version : Don't bitch if you passed.

Eihwaz
Dec 1, 2005, 05:05 PM
Argh.

It pisses me off when people bitch and moan loudly about their grade when they get a good, solid, passing grade. Like today, for instance: we got back our structured paragraphs. I got a 58 (Duuur, I put prepositional phrases instead of participial phrases >_<), and it dropped my English grade from a B to a C+. -_-;

This guy next to me was whining and complaining about his grade. What was his score, pray tell? He had an 82. I know I've whined/complained in the past when I missed a few points for a stupid mistake, but not loudly, and certainly not when I realized that many people did much worse than me.

So: if you have a solid pass grade (IE, anything over 80), please do not bitch about it in earshot of me (or anyone else, for that matter) who failed.

...of course, I'm really more concerned about my English grade. I only have like two more grades to pull it back up to a B. Quarter ends soon, and finals don't count for six-weeks grades. >_<;;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-12-01 14:06 ]</font>

LadyRedComet
Dec 1, 2005, 05:27 PM
Well, me for example. If I get less than an A on an English assignment, I'm going to bitch. This is usually not the case in other classes, but English is something I'm good at (normally) so if I do poorly, I'm going to complain. So are other people, even if it's not their "best" subject. I suppose all you can do is deal with it.

InfinityXXX
Dec 1, 2005, 05:46 PM
If I'm really good at the subject and I know in my heart I should get a 98 and I get an 90 I will moan but It do irk me when you have a bad grade and someone else have a really high grade and they complain.

ABDUR101
Dec 1, 2005, 06:12 PM
For anyone to bitch about their grade when I was in school, I'd get the classes attention and call for a pity party.

Scejntjynahl
Dec 1, 2005, 06:20 PM
Seriously people, if you know the subject and you know you studied for it... and you score less than what you expected why can't you bitch about it? Just because everyone else bombed doesn't mean that is your fault, nor is it your problem.

Now if you gloat, that is a whole different story.

ABDUR101
Dec 1, 2005, 06:57 PM
No, it's quite different when you studied your ass off, and you still came up short. I always quietly accepted my failure and came to the conclusion that I just can't "stick" the information, or it's a personal shortcoming and I'll have to try harder next time.

It's entirely different when there's someone who's whining and bitching loud enough for everyone to hear, because they got a 96%, or a 98%, or any passing grade.

It's inconsiderate to even bitch about your grade. Whether you studied your ass off, or if you did'nt. DEAL WITH IT, SHUT THE FUCK UP BECAUSE WE DON'T CARE. =]

EphekZ
Dec 1, 2005, 09:35 PM
Well I bitch in math since my teacher makes alot of mistakes on my grade so I could be getting A's on my tests but because I said the same thing someone else said but mine is still wrong and his is right im getting C's and B's.

Zael
Dec 1, 2005, 10:02 PM
What if you have nazi parents that won't take anything below an A as acceptable? (which is my case unfortunatley)

I really wish they would be more optimistic.

LadyRedComet
Dec 1, 2005, 10:05 PM
On 2005-12-01 15:57, ABDUR101 wrote:
DEAL WITH IT, SHUT THE FUCK UP BECAUSE WE DON'T CARE. =]

Works both ways.

PJ
Dec 1, 2005, 10:14 PM
On 2005-12-01 19:02, Zael wrote:
What if you have nazi parents that won't take anything below an A as acceptable?

Yeah :/

I work hard, I get 3 A's on my report card, and the other subject I'm failing. Of course, the failing subject is like a freakin magnet -_-

Considering last year my average was 53%, and I still failed a class (Went to summer school for it, though I don't think I can go to summer school for film >_>), I think this is much better. Geeze.

ABDUR101
Dec 1, 2005, 10:25 PM
On 2005-12-01 19:05, LadyRedComet wrote:
Works both ways.

Yes it does, but I've been out of school and in the work-force for a long time now, so I could really give two shits. =]

The thing is, no one gives a shit if you failed, or if you passed with flying colors. Don't gloat, and don't whine.

Scejntjynahl
Dec 2, 2005, 02:15 AM

Funny thing. We can say whatever the hell we want as long as it doesnt offend affect anyone nearby? ... right. Not likely to happen. You can always use the cliche remarks: could of been worse, someone does worse than you, can't always win, cant have your cake and eat it too. blah blah blah... but sometimes all we can feel is "fuck it all" who gives a rats ass if you don't like hearing about me complaining. Sometimes we need to cut loose and just forget about everyone elses freaking feelings and concentrate on our own for a change (even if its deemed insignificant by the rest of humanity). Hell, if I stub my toe Ill bitch about it, not caring if your bleeding from your eyeballs... hell this is my pain and you have your own pain and we all find our own ways of dealing with it. We all take in our experiences as personal, it is foolish to say that only because you can handle it the rest of the world should be able to as well. We all have our own expectations of ourselves regardless of what others expect of you. Take artists, they complain and sometimes are never satisfied with their own work while others glorify them by placing them on pedastols above everyone else. Sure we can tell that artist "stfu" your good... but its good in our eyes, NOT that artist. So yeah... if I get 99 percent and everyone else got -10 percent, and I feel I could have gotten 100 percent... I WILL BITCH. What I will not do is gloat... "OH BOO HOO HOO YOU GOT A NEGATIVE, WELL LOOK I MISSED ONE PERCENT" that is entirely different. But I will bitch at the fact that I did not do as well as I hoped. And if it bothers the rest of the people, so be it, not like they will writhe in pain because of me... its because they didnt do as well as they had hoped and are freaking angry or upset someone did do better than them. We all went through that... getting a bad grade and one person throwing the curve all to hell because they scored the highest. Well guess what, that is the WHOLE damned point... to score high. It is what we went to school for TO LEARN AND SCORE HIGHER. So if we personally failed at that... it is not the other student's fault... IT IS OUR OWN. This is so redundant because in the end someone will tell me to shut up because it is my own opinion. Well... that is their own opinion and as such I expect it be heard just like my opinion is to be heard. In the end we aren't here to please everyone.

Zael
Dec 2, 2005, 09:23 PM
On 2005-12-01 19:25, ABDUR101 wrote:

On 2005-12-01 19:05, LadyRedComet wrote:
Works both ways.

Yes it does, but I've been out of school and in the work-force for a long time now, so I could really give two shits. =]

The thing is, no one gives a shit if you failed, or if you passed with flying colors. Don't gloat, and don't whine.

Aside from nazi parents, yeah.

Blitzkommando
Dec 3, 2005, 12:09 AM
Ehehe, I like the ones who complain because they didn't get all the extra credit to score that 105. "OH SHIZ MY GRADE ISN'T A 101 ANYMORE, IT DROPPED TO A 100.4!" They exist, we all know the type and we all could care less.

Really, high school is all about competition and the moment you truly care less about that competition is when you actually start learning and, quite often, score higher. Heck, if I make a perfect score I am happy sure, but, I don't tell anyone. Why tell? Is it that much fun to rub it in someone's face?

Last year I had a rather, hmm, interresting math teacher. He was boring, monotone and predictable as a clock. Well, he had a special little thing where he would call out the highest score, or scores, in the class. That's when I realized just how completely unimportant it is. It taught me that being jealous of something that someone else did is like pissing in the wind, it only comes back to hit you in the face. They got it, good for them, why should you care? It is THEIR grade, not YOUR grade. Accept what you got, and accept what they got.

But, that doesn't mean to forget about others either. After all, "They only care about how much you know when they know how much you care". Sometimes people genuinely need help. No need to tell them your grade if you did better. At the same token, if you are doing badly, ask another student for help. You would be surprised at just how much others do care, you just have to ask. Afterall, how would it look to score great then come up to them and ask if they need help? It could genuinely come off as sincere, but, it could also come off as a smack to the face. If you show that you are willing to help others, and sometimes, even when they don't ask, and are sincere, it could help both you and them. And, when in the 'real world' things like that can look pretty good under the, "works well with a team" part of your resume. Just remember, there is a balance between helping and shoving it in their faces with too much help and attention, or babying as it may be.

More often than not, the best teachers are the people who are also the students. And the truly great teachers are the ones who never quit being students themselves.

Skorpius
Dec 3, 2005, 12:14 AM
My mommy grounded me because I got a B. :,(

hollowtip
Dec 4, 2005, 01:32 PM
It's not really people who complain about their grade, but more so the people that will not show anyone their grade, like it's some measure of their character. I used to have girls in my class that were A-B students that everytime they got a test or a simple assignment back, they would hold the graded assignment close to their face so they just could peek at it and let no one else see. Now I really could give less of a shit about their score, but it's just the principle of the matter. If you got an A or F on the test or assignment, it's just a grade.

Society pisses me off. Job hierarchy and academic excellence is looked upon as what makes people more worthy then others.

Jive18
Dec 6, 2005, 07:31 PM
Right now I honestly don't care what my grades are, it's a matter of just getting through this month that I'm having problems with.

As far being on-topic, I agree with you guys. As Abdur stated, why should/would anyone care about another person's grade? Considering yourself better than someone else because you scored 2% higher on an exam is a good way to show that you're a jackass.

Rion772
Dec 16, 2005, 08:27 PM
On 2005-12-06 16:31, Jive18 wrote:
Right now I honestly don't care what my grades are, it's a matter of just getting through this month that I'm having problems with.

As far being on-topic, I agree with you guys. As Abdur stated, why should/would anyone care about another person's grade? Considering yourself better than someone else because you scored 2% higher on an exam is a good way to show that you're a jackass.

I myself am having problems this month as well...December is a bad month for learning...

Yeah, who really gives a shit about other peoples grades, your grade is what's important to you, just worry about that. No one really cares about your grade. When people ask you "what did you get on the test?" they just want to see if they did better than you pretty much or see how good everyone else did to compare that to themselves. I myself am quite the bitch-..er. Last quarter my GPA was 82.6, if you hate when people bitch about their test grades you would absolutly HATE me. I bitched until no end for a day probably, why? Because to get where I want to get in life I need more than an 85 to stand a good chance at getting into the college I want to go to. The only reason it was 83 (rounded) was because of math, I barely passed with a 72 (2 points lower and I would've failed).

It's ok if you bitch when you NEED to pass with a certain grade, anything above an 85% is decent to good. That means you understand about 85% of the stuff you learn, 85/100 is not a lot, that's like going to a job and only remembering 85% of the things you need to know. Also if I can clearly see I should've gotten a better grade, I bitch. If I get a 80% on a test and I strongly believe I deserve atleast a 90% I will bitch until I get my way with the teacher or atleast get some type of accomplishment or something like getting a re-take. I currently have a 41% in math, this is because my teacher didn't grade a 100 point project yet and I get to retake a test because I wasn't at school on monday to learn it and the test was wednesday.

We have a 300 point Math gem page due that's 2 sided (Math gems is a computer program for math, my teacher herself made it for the school and it works well. You pick what type of tests you want to take and choose how many questions and it starts, I like it, it's a grade-saver for me) due in 33 days. The page is loaded with little quizzes and then after we turn it in in january we have to take mid-terms which my best friend/neighbor Joe said they were too easy (he's a 90 avg. student in honors classes) and he's even bad at math like me. He almost failed it last year like I did. I have a Global test on monday, I have to remember every city in south asia. If I get below 70's on these tests I will bitch, bad. Your grades are more important than you think, they mold you into what you will be in your future as a college grad.

These test I have frighten me, I think about them constantly because my grades are important to me, very important. They are more important than Baseball to me, and I CANNOT wait to play this spring. I'm going nuts for it. I will bitch if I get below an 85 GPA this quarter. I have 5 weeks to get my shit straight and to get my Earth Science grade up, Global grade up, and Math grades up. I don't bitch for other people, I bitch to let off steam about a shitty grade, I bitch to the teacher, not my friends mostly. I will ask my friends what they got and rub it in their face but it's obvious I just do it to kid around. I'm not as smart as I'm cracked up to be. Bitching isn't bad unless you're doing really good in a bad class (bas class as in a lot of people barely pass or fail). If you bitch if you got a nice 95% and most people got a low 70 you need to go hang yourself.

WraithVerge
Dec 20, 2005, 02:13 AM
Bitching is bitching, no matter how you slice the cake. Whether its a big deal or a small itch depends on what you're bitching about.

Because to get where I want to get in life I need more than an 85 to stand a good chance at getting into the college I want to go to. The only reason it was 83 (rounded) was because of math, I barely passed with a 72 (2 points lower and I would've failed).

In my opinion, that's a good reason. However, getting the grade shouldn't be the most important focus; it should be learning what has been taught. Passing the class is icing on the cake.

darthsaber9x9
Dec 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
I will bitch if I feel I haven't done my justice. The fact that I didn't get an A* ( I got an A) in GCSE science is cause for ME to bitch because science is my subject (or was, this was about 2 years ago). Quite a few people were suprised that I complained and I can see why, but what most people didn't get was that I wasn't considering other people's grades. Which is how it should be right?