PDA

View Full Version : Practice: A little something different

Dre_o
Dec 2, 2005, 09:40 PM
This time, I tried to put the people aside a little and focus more on the background.

But I didn't skip out on twisting things up a little bit with the snow and coats but I am fully aware of the flaws of the faces and what not. I also thank Oni for letting me borrow his character.

Here we go:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/Flemlazoid/Dre_Oni_snow.jpg

Again and still, let me know what you think. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 2, 2005, 10:09 PM
Nice choice of background. I really like the trees on the left. I also like that you thought to draw their breath. I do think you got the message of 'cold' across quite nicely. A comment, on the shading in the sky... you should make much wider pencil strokes.... if you know what i mean... =x

Skorpius
Dec 2, 2005, 10:28 PM
I had a whole post typed up, but I figure you'd miss the point, so here it is:

You seem as though you're trying way to hard to be good, without actually practicing.

It seems as if you're attempting to work with background now because it's easier than actually working on everything else. First, you didn't have any good human anatomy down. Someone suggest shading, so you choose that instead of working on the first thing. You attempted that, someone says poses. You try that, someone says backgrounds. You're pulling out other things without actually getting better on everything else.

Now, for the typing:

It lacks emotion, it lacks depth, it lacks life. It's as cold as you were trying to portray. No textures, no form, nothing to show that this might have actually taken place. I don't believe that these two characters are there, thus the drawing fails in that perspective.

I suggest (futily) that you go back to square one, and work on shading and human anatomy if you want to continue drawing people. That is, unless this is a style you're shotting for, then go right ahead.

Sayara
Dec 2, 2005, 10:40 PM
Im gonna add to what Skorp is saying. You are tending to jump about on the many different suggestions people have given you.

Now not that is not a bad thing, but you really do not have a strong and solid sense on the essentals of doing any sort of drawing.
The sense of shape
space
size
proportion
light
composition

I am going to go deeper then what Skorp said. If you want to grow more comfortable with the basic essentals, i'd suggest taking into a few still life drawings. a FEW, not one, but a few. Do alot. Pick up a bottle, a shoe, a hat and try to draw it. Boring yes, but not everyone is born with amazing style. it is developed through knowing the basics, not through their ass.

Once you got the idea down, add more things together. A Hat and box, a shoe and a ball. Add a heavy light on object (Like a desk lamp over a gameboy). Do these simpler drawing projects before you try to do more difficult things. What is a human anyway? Nothing more then a collection of shapes that make a design.

I am not going to force you to do anything. This has to be your decision; if you want to grow a more stronger sense of the essental basics, you'll be alittle more ready for a human figure. If you don't, then oh well; i can't make you do anything.

FOAtHeart
Dec 2, 2005, 10:45 PM
I do totally agree with these fine gentlemen!

Never get discouarged, though. As artists, we all have a lot to learn. Just take it step by step. No one improves drastically overnight.

You know, someone once told me "It takes 10 years to be a good artist!"

Baby steps!

Sagasu
Dec 2, 2005, 11:13 PM
*sigh*

As you have said, guys, one does not improve drastically overnight. So just a couple pictures later, you're drilling him about how it all looks the same. This really isnt helpfull.

Let him explore, let him make mistakes, and let him walk at whatever pace he chooses. Suggest what you may, but dont take the response personally.

Regardless,

I think you did a pretty good job on the trees. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Skorpius
Dec 2, 2005, 11:43 PM
Just saying what a teacher would say. Nothing different. Call it drilling if you want to, but truth is truth.

InfinityXXX
Dec 3, 2005, 01:28 AM
For the background, you did a good job. But the 2 characters seem flat well I wouldn't say flat but they look weird when put in the background(might just be me trippin') but overall its a good drawing. I really like the trees in perspective, the river, and the designs on the two characters clothing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-12-02 22:35 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Dec 3, 2005, 01:41 AM
On 2005-12-02 20:43, Skorpius wrote:
Just saying what a teacher would say. Nothing different. Call it drilling if you want to, but truth is truth.

not especially. i doubt a teacher would be as sarcastic as "i figured you'd miss the point". give the kid a break. there are ways of teaching that dont involve berating. yes he does need improvement, yes it would help to heed most of your advice. but. being a little more understanding will get him a lot further.

Skorpius
Dec 3, 2005, 02:27 AM
On 2005-12-02 22:41, Jehosaphaty wrote:
there are ways of teaching that dont involve berating. yes he does need improvement, yes it would help to heed most of your advice. but. being a little more understanding will get him a lot further.

Like this?
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=105852&forum=12&13

Yeah, I give advice without a word of offense and he bites my head off. Sorry, you don't improve when everyone says what you're doing looks good. Telling the truth is bad now?

Jehosaphaty
Dec 3, 2005, 03:35 AM
On 2005-12-02 23:27, Skorpius wrote:
Like this?
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=105852&forum=12&13

Yeah, I give advice without a word of offense and he bites my head off. Sorry, you don't improve when everyone says what you're doing looks good. Telling the truth is bad now?

no, no. the truth is fine. a toned down version might be a better way to go about doing it. i know you tried, it didnt work and so you let him know again what he needed fixed. for you to take an interest is great. i guess im just suggesting a lighter version over total discouragment. whatev though. best of luck to him.