PDA

View Full Version : Is a PSP worth buying?

Olga
Dec 3, 2005, 01:50 PM
I wanna buy a PSP... I'm not to sure, but i want one...

Is a PSP worth buying? Why or Why not???

Akdov
Dec 3, 2005, 01:59 PM
The price. There are numerous other devices that offer many of the features that the PSP has, usually with better quality and occasionally cheaper.

Wyndham
Dec 3, 2005, 02:07 PM
a PSP can be pretty expensive. when you add up the cost, its just not that great an idea.
you're better off with something else.

Dgo
Dec 3, 2005, 02:25 PM
Kinda.......no i'm lyiing its pretty sorry Imo.

PJ
Dec 3, 2005, 03:52 PM
PSP is a handheld gaming console FIRST before it's other multimedia duties.

Please put your decision based off it's games, and not what it does -.-;

(Actually, it's probably cheaper than buying an MP3 player and a portable DVD player)

Although, I don't think there's any interesting games on the PSP... yet... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Rion772
Dec 3, 2005, 04:01 PM
If you have the money and then some go for it. If you're broke like me don't bother, keep playing whatever systems you've been playing.

Olga
Dec 3, 2005, 04:17 PM
yeah, thanks

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2005, 04:38 PM
depends on if a few games on it look fancy to you.
depends on if you want to watch (darkish, expensive) movies (on a tiny screen) everywhere.

ABDUR101
Dec 3, 2005, 04:41 PM
Your money is better spent on new computer parts or an actual console.

Rubius-sama
Dec 3, 2005, 04:45 PM
Other than for Metal Gear Acid, there are hardly any innovative games for the PSP. I know because I have one. I wanted to sell my PSP but decided to keep it because of the PSP-PS3 connectivity features.

If you want to play innovative and fun games, go for a DS. If you want a slick handheld with a vibrant screen (but same old games) then go for PSP.

Kent
Dec 3, 2005, 05:52 PM
Buy a DS, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, and Gunstar Super Heroes.

A whole lot more fun, and for even less money.

trypticon
Dec 4, 2005, 01:09 AM
Go for a DS, it kicks ass. There, that's at least the third recommendation in one thread.

MEGAHAWK21x
Dec 4, 2005, 10:27 PM
PSP is really expensive. Look at the offering of games. IMO, theyre not that great. Its all sports titles. If youre a big movie buff and would watch a lot of movies or if youre really into old school games, you can mod it...

If you want a handheld for gaming purposes. The DS is a way better choice (again, IMO). Mario Kart is amazing and Animal crossing comes out tomorrow. More great games are comming out for the DS (specifically the ones published by Nintendo) but all I see for the PSP are weak titles with pretty graphics.

Derek0660
Dec 4, 2005, 10:32 PM
The PSP is better, but not to the point where you should spend $100-$125 more on it when you can buy the DS.
Mario Kart is the sweetest handheld game ever http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Luis
Dec 6, 2005, 12:19 PM
the PSP is way expensive for a handheld, besides it would be great for a gamming system if those UMD videos were actually games, that would be great, but watching a movie on a small screen, its not something that i would recommend if you got a 15 inch laptop, that would do the same on a bigger screen.

Olga
Dec 6, 2005, 08:15 PM
thanks!

Echizen
Dec 7, 2005, 01:10 AM
US games aren't that interesting to me and most PSP game out in Japan is JPN only so it isnt worth to buy a PSP if you dont know Japanese.

silvermax
Dec 9, 2005, 04:14 AM
The analog nub is probably with worst part of the whole thing, cramps your thumb something awful. Some of its games stand out but the majority just suck
and
Unless you spend lots of time traveling, the movie option is pointless. You can go buy a portable DVD player with a BIGGER screen for 60- 100$.

shinobu_seta
Dec 10, 2005, 08:46 PM
I had one for a time, but have since sold it. The only game I had that I enjoyed was Darkstalkers (which was pointless because I have it for Dreamcast and with no load times)

When I got it home, I threw some music on there and some of my own movies, but the novelty soon ended after that. I mean, when I'm out I don't watch movies, I play games. And my room mate already has an Ipod. So all in all it was a stupid decision for me to get one.

I enjoy my DS far better. I play it every day at work or when I'm waiting somewhere. The games are much better(imo), having a nintendog always gets you attention, plus Wi fi play is a reality now.

If you're willing to import some stuff. Go over to http://www.play-asia.com and get yourself a play yan. It's basicaly just a GBA cartridge that allows you to store and play music and movies with your DS or GBA. So basically you'll be able to do everything the PSP can for much less, and a decreased screen resolution if you care that much.

SubstanceD
Dec 11, 2005, 06:06 AM
I own a PSP and I own a Nintendo DS.

As for which of the 2 handhelds I prefer more, at the momnet that would be the DS. It wasn't always that way, untill Castlevania Dawn of Souls came out I only ever used my DS to play GBA games. Now however the DS has Castlevania, Advance Wars DS and Mario Kart.

The big problem with the PSP is that I just not interested in any of the games taht are available for it. They bore me. Having said that, I don't regret having bought a PSP. It is an amazing console and it does have alot of potential. Breath Of Fire 3 ( my favorite in the series ) is due for release over here in Europe in Febuary 2006. Tales Of Destiny 2 is also due out soon and hopefully Konami will release Suikoden 1 and 2 over in the US and Europe.

For me this topic isn't soo much of an issue of whether the PSP is worth buying ( it is ), it's more of an issue of whether you should go out and buy one now or whether you should wait for the price to drop and for better games to be released ( if I were you I would wait ).