PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Woes: Scratch Disks?

Eihwaz
Dec 3, 2005, 08:50 PM
I'm having some really weird Photoshop issues.

I was working on making another wallpaper earlier, and I was done editing the image that would make up the main part of the wallpaper, so I clicked on "File", then "New", selected my resolution, and clicked okay.

Instead of getting my white canvas, all I got was an error message saying:

Could not create a new document because the scratch disks are full.

The scratch disk option is set to the same drive Photoshop is installed in; that is, the C drive. But the weird thing is, I still have disk space left on my hard drive (over 4 gigs)! I tried exiting out of all running programs (AIM and iTunes at that time), and still, no dice.

What gives? Is there anyway I can sorta "clear out" the scratch disks? I wasn't having any problems earlier today.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 3, 2005, 09:48 PM
Photoshop maintains its own scratch file, in fact, which, if I'm interpetting the information I'm seeing correctly, gets cleared when the application is closed. Consider increasing the amount of RAM that Photoshop is allowed to use, to decrease necessity for scratch file use.

Eihwaz
Dec 4, 2005, 12:41 PM
I just discovered the problem.

I tried tweaking with the RAM settings like you mentioned, and then tried making another 1024x768 blank canvas for me to make my desktop in. I noticed in the "file size" area, it said the file was 11.4 gigabytes.

How could that be right? I then noticed it was set to 1024 inches by 768 inches, not pixels. I made the appropriate changes, and I could thusly make my new image.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definetly give Photoshop more RAM, it won't hurt, for sure.